BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > PPF - if there was ever any doubt, I no longer have any

07-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #23
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I think Xpel says 10 years. With as little as my car is in the sun, I don't think I'll ever have to worry about it.

In truth I like it because I can blast the bugs off the front of the car without any worry that I'm damaging the paint. Here in Missouri the bugs get terrible.
i came back from a trip and yeah. One grasshopper literally took a free ride on my mom's car for at least 20 miles at 65+ mph. Holding on like a boss.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      12-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #24
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19x View Post
PPF is great stuff, no doubt. I've had it on several BMW's, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's worth having. I always went back and forth on this. I may or may not do it when my new M2C arrives next month. Still on the fence about this..

PPF on the front runs how much roughly, $300-400? - Given the damage here, I'm willing to bet that you can find a reputable shop to repaint that bumper for a similar price, which offsets the price of the PPF. But in many cases, what's ruined is both the paint and the PPF. So you again have to fork out the money to paint a bumper and do the PPF vs just repainting the bumper. I know that PPF is great at protecting the paint from small debris like rocks, etc., but then again having the bumper resprayed every 5 or 10 years is not a big deal.

BTW, a reasonable shop shouldn't have a problem matching the paint. Bumpers are the easiest to paint right. Quarter panels are not.

Firstly, I think the cost of repainting is more than $300-400, as long as we're speaking the same language (talking about a repaint and new clear on full bumper at a reputable shop that can replicate a color such as SO) - second, the cost of PPF on the "front clip" (bumper, hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors), is about $1700-2k at most reputable install shops, depending on your area. I personally went with full car wrap in XPEL ultimate, which ran just under 5k - while, I don't think it gives you back full 5k worth of resale value down the line, but the paint will without a doubt look many times better in 10 years - obviously I'm biased, but I also I don't intend on selling it, so the peace of mind is great. I personally would recommend at least getting the bumper/hood/fenders wrapped, if you keep the car any amount of time more than a 3 year lease, seems worth it to me. The roads around here also suck. I hear you on it being a tough call if you're not intending to keep the car for an extensive period of time, but if so, I think it's a no brainer for a brand new car.
Appreciate 0