BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 3DM Roadsport Öhlins Coilovers

02-01-2024, 01:16 AM   #1
Alanine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

3DM Roadsport Öhlins Coilovers

Is anyone here running 3DM's custom Roadsport Öhlins package (listed here)? I'm interested in a road-focused coilover setup for my OG M2 and thought this might be a solid choice (especially given they are revalved to suit the lower spring rate).

I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who runs them - particularly in comparison to the stock setup. And perhaps compared to other popular choices like the Bilstein PSS10.
Appreciate 3
chris7197334.00
m2zcp51.50
      02-04-2024, 12:01 AM   #2
m2zcp
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition 6M LBB

Nothing but great experiences from what I have read and seen online - no personal experience. I currently have the M Performance suspension but if that wears out in the near future - the Ohlins R&T 3DM RTR kit would be my choice. I would also pair that with Millway street camber plates, but your application may vary. Some have opted to change the springs from the 90/190 Nm standard to something softer using Swift springs - would see what 3DM offers.

I first heard about 3DM through Obsessed Garage. I like that the suspension can come pre-assembled to a specified ride height which you may have to dial in further depending on wheels etc.

Not sure if you follow Obsessed Garage, but Matt has had the 3DM Ohlins on his E92 M3, E36 M3 and on the M2 CS giveaway car (w EDC delete in this instance) and nothing but good things to say.
Appreciate 1
Alanine12.00
      02-04-2024, 06:59 PM   #3
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

3DM ohlins is good but I outpaced mine pretty quick.

If youre looking for road and track you won’t find any better than this.

https://ogsharkmotorsport.com/nitron/
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 01:39 AM   #4
Alanine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2zcp View Post
Nothing but great experiences from what I have read and seen online - no personal experience. I currently have the M Performance suspension but if that wears out in the near future - the Ohlins R&T 3DM RTR kit would be my choice. I would also pair that with Millway street camber plates, but your application may vary. Some have opted to change the springs from the 90/190 Nm standard to something softer using Swift springs - would see what 3DM offers.

I first heard about 3DM through Obsessed Garage. I like that the suspension can come pre-assembled to a specified ride height which you may have to dial in further depending on wheels etc.

Not sure if you follow Obsessed Garage, but Matt has had the 3DM Ohlins on his E92 M3, E36 M3 and on the M2 CS giveaway car (w EDC delete in this instance) and nothing but good things to say.
Thanks for the feedback. The Roadsport kit I'm referring to drops the R&T spring rates down from 90/190 to 70/160 (using Swift springs). And the RTR version supplies new OEM top mounts (which is what I'm after).
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 01:00 PM   #5
projekt-
Cruisin'
Rep
Drives: '19 LBB M2C 6MT

I have this kit on my M2C. I use it for 90% road/twisty mountains and I'm completely happy with it. Barry is super nice and knowledgeable.

I cannot provide input on how well it will do on the track, since I've yet to go.

If you are new to coil overs and or linear springs, the car will be noticeably stiffer. Make sure you adjust your damper/rebound/compression settings accordingly and how your roads are (this second one is often glossed over).
      02-07-2024, 07:08 PM   #6
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by projekt- View Post
I have this kit on my M2C. I use it for 90% road/twisty mountains and I'm completely happy with it. Barry is super nice and knowledgeable.

I cannot provide input on how well it will do on the track, since I've yet to go.

If you are new to coil overs and or linear springs, the car will be noticeably stiffer. Make sure you adjust your damper/rebound/compression settings accordingly and how your roads are (this second one is often glossed over).
So would you say the ride quality of the stock suspension is still better if you live in an area with rough roads?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 07:36 PM   #7
Alanine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

So you're running the 70/160 Swift spring combo?

If you're running the suggested ride height (10mm below stock), do you have any pics you can share, please?

Finally - I'm happy with stiffer - what I really don't like is the behaviour of the stock suspension over road imperfections - I think it's referred to as "crashiness".
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 10:11 AM   #8
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanine View Post
Finally - I'm happy with stiffer - what I really don't like is the behaviour of the stock suspension over road imperfections - I think it's referred to as "crashiness".
Excellent. You get it. You’re on the right track here and if you’re not going to track the car these seem like a solid route.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 02:05 PM   #9
projekt-
Cruisin'
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

So you're running the 70/160 Swift spring combo?

If you're running the suggested ride height (10mm below stock), do you have any pics you can share, please?

Correct. I am running the 70/160 combo.

I am running 590/600mm Front/Back. The recommended ride height by BMW M division for M cars are 595/600mm, measuring from the bottom of the fender, to the bottom of your wheel.

As for picture of my car, here's one I posted a little while back: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1745

There's also one more photo on my IG, linked on my signature.
      02-08-2024, 02:11 PM   #10
projekt-
Cruisin'
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
So would you say the ride quality of the stock suspension is still better if you live in an area with rough roads?
I would say the coilovers are an overall improvement even if you have rougher roads. The dampers no longer "crash" on you when you hit a bump or mild pot hole. A comment many have made when on stock suspension which I also observed when I just got the car.
      02-08-2024, 04:30 PM   #11
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of the 3DM's RTR 70/160 myself. I'm currently running an early Ohlins with the 90/190
and GC plates - the combination is harsh and noisy. OK if I was tracking but I don't.
Appreciate 2
Alanine12.00
      02-09-2024, 07:44 PM   #12
projekt-
Cruisin'
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgs4 View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of the 3DM's RTR 70/160 myself. I'm currently running an early Ohlins with the 90/190
and GC plates - the combination is harsh and noisy. OK if I was tracking but I don't.
Funny, I'm about to get camber plates myself, but going for the Millway Street. Many have said it does not add or add very little NVH.

GL with the swap!
      02-10-2024, 12:38 AM   #13
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have a set of the Millway Street sitting in the garage that I'll install after I've had a chance to baseline NVH without.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2024, 02:31 PM   #14
projekt-
Cruisin'
Rep

Update here. I spoke to Barry recently regarding my situation.

If you purchase the RTR with OEM top mount version and not made any custom requests, you will need to purchase longer front springs to add camber plates.

RTR with OEM top mounts run on shorter springs up front, to provide more inner clearance (the clearance part is mentioned on the purchase page - and this is how they achieve it).

Therefore, if you purchase RTR with OEM Top mounts, but want the flexibility of possibly adding camber plates in the future, make sure you mention this to Barry when purchasing your kit. He should accommodate your accordingly.
      02-15-2024, 04:25 PM   #15
LBBFTW
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C LBB

I have a 70/160 3DM Ohlins setup on my M2C. It was my daily for 4 years. I had stock suspension for 20k miles before changing over. I've considered going to 80 in the front after having had this setup for about 3 yrs. I believe the OG is slightly lighter upfront so you're probably good at 70.
I also did the millway street camber plates. I enjoyed them until I started getting a rubbing noise but turns out I had my front dampers set to different stiffness lol. No one screws up my car better than I do.
Overall I strongly recommend Barry and 3DM for a solid street setup. I would 100% do it again and if anything, I would've done it sooner.
Appreciate 2
Alanine12.00
      02-15-2024, 04:27 PM   #16
thrilla
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

I have the Road and Track RTR with 90/190 springs. I don’t mind the stiffness at all, and I still think it’s an improvement from the CS adaptive suspension.
I have the Vorshlag camber plates and experience no NVH.
I have it dialed to less then Barry’s recommended 15 clicks, to 17.

Last edited by thrilla; 02-15-2024 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: More info
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 05:50 AM   #17
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Update here. I spoke to Barry recently regarding my situation.

If you purchase the RTR with OEM top mount version and not made any custom requests, you will need to purchase longer front springs to add camber plates.

RTR with OEM top mounts run on shorter springs up front, to provide more inner clearance (the clearance part is mentioned on the purchase page - and this is how they achieve it).

Therefore, if you purchase RTR with OEM Top mounts, but want the flexibility of possibly adding camber plates in the future, make sure you mention this to Barry when purchasing your kit. He should accommodate your accordingly.
You saved me some time. I'll probably send Barry the plates and have him assemble.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2024, 05:20 PM   #18
Alanine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for all the responses, and also the note about shorter springs being used be default. I'm trying to decide what to use for top mounts for a road-oriented setup that will do a few trackdays: a fresh set of OEM mounts (which adds $450 to the cost of the coilovers) or the popular Millway Street camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 12:44 PM   #19
projekt-
Cruisin'
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses, and also the note about shorter springs being used be default. I'm trying to decide what to use for top mounts for a road-oriented setup that will do a few trackdays: a fresh set of OEM mounts (which adds $450 to the cost of the coilovers) or the popular Millway Street camber plates.
I think it's really up to you and if you plan on doing a lot more trackdays and eventually want 18" wheels. If you do, you will probably need camber plates and setting it up now (especially if you go Millway Street, which shouldn't add any more additional NVH) shouldn't hurt.

In hindsight, I really should have planned for camber plates for my car, regardless.
      02-21-2024, 02:00 PM   #20
Alanine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I think it's really up to you and if you plan on doing a lot more trackdays and eventually want 18" wheels. If you do, you will probably need camber plates and setting it up now (especially if you go Millway Street, which shouldn't add any more additional NVH) shouldn't hurt.

In hindsight, I really should have planned for camber plates for my car, regardless.
Thanks. I do happen to want 18” wheels, but am not clear why this wheel size would favor the Millway street camber plates over OEM top mounts?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 02:23 PM   #21
projekt-
Cruisin'
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I do happen to want 18” wheels, but am not clear why this wheel size would favor the Millway street camber plates over OEM top mounts?
With 18s and if you plan on tracking, more than likely you will run wider tire compounds.

Since you are lower and want to run wider tires, your car will be in a much more aggressive stance, needing more negative camber so you can clear you tires and not rub. Thus, needing camber plates for the front.
      02-22-2024, 12:16 AM   #22
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
I found going on track with the oem top mounts (thus oem camber) and doing any sort of reasonable pace very quickly destroyed the front tyre outer shoulders. This is with Ohlins R&T, springs 78Nm F & 160Nm R (spring rates were chosen for tarmac rally type driving).

Have had the Millway Street camber plates for 70K km without an issue, for a while ran -3.0 on track but now go -3.5 (-2 on street), am a little quicker @3.5 and tyres (A052) also wearing better. imo the camber plates will in time pay for themselves through better tyre wear.

After 60K km I had the Ohlins out for servicing so took the opportunity to put new bushings in the camber plates, the old ones were actually still in very good condition but changed them anyway.
Appreciate 2