BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coilovers or Tires

01-19-2024, 09:52 PM   #1
abowen
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Coilovers or Tires

Looking for guidance and opinions. I currently have a 2017 M2 DCT with 101K miles. It’s my only car so my daily driver 365 days a year. I’m currently on All Seasons as that’s what came on the car when I bought it. I came from the world of Porsches so I’m still getting use to the front engine layout.

I currently go on several road trips every year mostly to the mountains of NC and TN. A lot of our road trips include places such as the Devils Triangle and Tail of the Dragon. Looking to extract just a tad more confidence out of the car during those road trips and spirited weekend drives.

I’m torn between getting a summer set of wheels and tires or getting Bilsetin PSS10’s. I don’t plan on using the car for autocross or any track events.

I understand that tires are consumables that will have to be replaced more frequently that coilovers but it might give me that extra bit of traction I’m looking for. I also look at coilovers as being something that will have an effect on the car regardless of the tires on the car.

Any opinions greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2024, 08:04 AM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I asked this same question. The response was that suspension. Based on your needs I think suspension will yield what you are after.

What I learned going with wheels and tires first (no good EDC option available). It's easy to overwhelm the suspension with more grip. I also think it's a good idea to put money into a good system that has been developed for this chassis. Get springs as well to compliment the system. I'd talk to OG Shark about the single adjustable with springs for your needs. Ive been reviewing suspension a lot and like what I see from Nitron and I think it slots in nicely price wise.
      01-20-2024, 08:15 AM   #3
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I think tires, a good set of PS4S and the grip level will increase substantially compared to a all season (hell even compared to the stock pilot sports that came with the car). You can go 1 size up as well, 255 front and 275 back. Putting suspension is going to be masking out the crappy all seasons.
Appreciate 3
abowen49.50
gsrbri559.50
      01-20-2024, 08:33 AM   #4
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2 OG DCT

I assume that you have the original suspension, is it OK and what steering geometry are you running ?

Do you need All Season tyres for your trips ?

As you have not driven on a decent Summer tyre I would try this option first

I have read much about the standard OG`s suspension being somewhat lacking, I don`t agree with most of what is published - perceived

Last edited by Andrew2; 01-21-2024 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 1
abowen49.50
      01-20-2024, 09:01 AM   #5
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I think what the others have mentioned about tires is also good advice. Especially if you are on all seasons. There is a lot of performance to be gained from the tire even in stock sizes. If your unhappy with how the car feels (unplanted, jittery) then I'm not sure how much tires will help. A lot depends on how hard you are pushing.
      01-20-2024, 10:36 AM   #6
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Do both. Invest the funds to set the car up properly and it’ll pay dividends every time you drive it. These things work in conjunction with one another and when done properly create a sum that’s greater than the individual parts.

Coming from the Porsche world, you must appreciate this as that’s literally the thesis of classic Porsche greatness.
Appreciate 2
inTgr8r2431.50
abowen49.50
      01-20-2024, 10:53 AM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Do both. Invest the funds to set the car up properly and it’ll pay dividends every time you drive it. These things work in conjunction with one another and when done properly create a sum that’s greater than the individual parts.

Coming from the Porsche world, you must appreciate this as that’s literally the thesis of classic Porsche greatness.
^this!!!!
at +100k miles on your OE suspension, things are definitely getting tired and worn.
I would also have bushings inspected.

Tires are tires and like mentioned in OP they are a consumable.
If budget is a concern you can achieve a big benefit fitting tires to your current wheels.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 11:26 AM   #8
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

If you can afford an M2, you can afford to enjoy it properly.

The suspension in this car is absolute trash, and worsens significantly with age, so a lightly used set of MPS for around $1200 is the ticket IMO.

2 sets of wheels/tires, no question (possibly 3 sets of tires).

PS4S for standard/daily driving and anything over 37°
Used set of Alpin's for anything under 37°
Used set of 200tw tires for The Dragon and weekend fun
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
abowen49.50
      01-20-2024, 09:10 PM   #9
abowen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
I assume that you have the original suspension, is it OK and what steering geometry are you running ?

Do you need All Season tyres for your trips ?

As you have not driven on a decent Summer tyre I would try this option first

I have read much about the standard OG`s suspension being somewhat lacking, I don`t agree with most of that is published - perceived

I’ve just been running All Seasons as that what was on the car when I bought it last year used. I’ve ran summer tires on my 911 I had before and it alone changed the car. They just didn’t last but about 20,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 09:12 PM   #10
abowen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
If you can afford an M2, you can afford to enjoy it properly.

The suspension in this car is absolute trash, and worsens significantly with age, so a lightly used set of MPS for around $1200 is the ticket IMO.

2 sets of wheels/tires, no question (possibly 3 sets of tires).

PS4S for standard/daily driving and anything over 37°
Used set of Alpin's for anything under 37°
Used set of 200tw tires for The Dragon and weekend fun

Good point! I’d love to find a MPS used set but doesn’t seem like they pop up frequently.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 09:26 PM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abowen View Post
Good point! I’d love to find a MPS used set but doesn’t seem like they pop up frequently.
I literally just bought a perfect set with 1,000 miles on them, no track days. Mine only have 10K on them, but I bought them just in case because it was such a good deal. You just have to always be on the lookout and be ready to buy.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 04:29 AM   #12
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

If you're running on the original suspension, hands down coilovers are the answer. Many people find the factory setup to be just 'ok', a bit crashy and all that. Add that mileage I'm sure it is completely toast and not comfortable to ride in. I took my suspension off with half that mileage and when you compressed the shock it just stuck. Tires would make a huge difference too but if I could only do one it would be suspension.
Appreciate 2
abowen49.50
///MPhatic13862.50
      01-21-2024, 08:29 AM   #13
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
If you're running on the original suspension, hands down coilovers are the answer. Many people find the factory setup to be just 'ok', a bit crashy and all that. Add that mileage I'm sure it is completely toast and not comfortable to ride in. I took my suspension off with half that mileage and when you compressed the shock it just stuck. Tires would make a huge difference too but if I could only do one it would be suspension.
I'll admit that I was wanting the MPS originally just to get rid of that terrible front gap (the rear gap was ok IMO), but once installed I was just floored at how much better they were. I knew the stock suspension had bad damping (didn't know that BMW pays $9 each for them), but I didn't know how bad it was until I got the coils on. Had I known the difference it would have been my 2nd mod (BMW clutch stop being the first).
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 08:34 PM   #14
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

abowen no real wrong answer here. Both suspension and tires are in play 100% of the time so the value based on usage is maximized for both. Better tires are always going to be, well better. Ultimately grip is going to be limited to what the tires are capable of providing and with all seasons certainly that’s going to be not the best. You can put a good suspension on the car and while you can benefit in ride quality if the tires do not provide adequate grip you are still going to be fairly limited there. I sell suspensions but personally I would rather see the car better tired than all seasons first before anything else.

Will throw something else out there though too - you mentioned tires and wheels. Not sure what your future plans with the car are but if you want to go to a wider wheel/tire setup then oem you need to be cognizant of clearance with the dampers. With the F87 you really need to plan out these mods together to help avoid buying twice. If you stay on the oem setup you will be more limited in width than with aftermarket suspensions that take this into account and setup their springs accordingly (not all kits do this fyi). If you are wanting to go wider just something to consider. Being an OG the brakes are already 18 friendly so that isn’t a concern like with the comp - but would definitely recommend planning out those upgrades together so as to avoid possible rebuying down the line.
Appreciate 2
abowen49.50
Andrew2180.00
      01-22-2024, 11:31 AM   #15
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
If your budgeted for one or the other I'd go for the rims and tires first.

Increasing rim width and tire size + summer performance tires will make a big difference.

Going from a 245/265 All season setup to a 255/275, or 265/285 or 265/295 setup on 9.5/10.5 rims will yield big improvements.

If you can justify one of the 200 wear tires even more so!

Another plus is you have the OEM rims for winter now with the A/S tires.

Then when you have a few more bucks add just camber plates, or add a complete C/O kit with the plates.

YMMV,
HAZMAT
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:42 PM   #16
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

As above ps4s 255/275 at 33-34 PSI feels like mid way to coilovers in my experience i.e. a lot of bang for the buck.
Appreciate 1
abowen49.50
      01-25-2024, 09:58 AM   #17
BigJsmall2c
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2c

At 100k miles still on original shocks? Probably just riding on springs and shocks are dead.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
abowen49.50
      01-25-2024, 10:46 AM   #18
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Tires first. Suggest the star spec Michelins designed for the car (super sports)

Next, get your suspension inspected. I’d replace the factory shocks and front struts and possibly the head bearings.

As a daily-driver, the stock suspension is very good. I have Ohlins R&T as well as camber plates w/roller head bearings. It’s streetable but not so much DD streetable.

Figure the suspension with install and alignment is $4-5K when done right, the stock suspension looks pretty economical.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 04:27 PM   #19
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Tires first, then suspension. Unless your suspension is shot (which may be the case given the mileage) you may want to refresh it.
      02-12-2024, 10:02 PM   #20
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

What tires and pressures are you running? Stock sizes are 35/35, but if you run 255/275 then you can air them down to 32/32 to match the load capacity of the stock setup. This would help smooth out the ride a bit. If your looking for grip, get PS4S, Conti Sport, or Bridgestone Potenza Sport tires for street tires. They warm-up quick and work well in the rain. If you want to refresh the ride and subjective feel of the chassis, then get some adjustable shocks and inspect the bushings for excessive wear or cracking. Play with the settings of the dampers to get the ride quality where you want it. You may pick up some grip by adding compliance and smoothing out the ride over bumpy roads. Coilovers may make the car feel like it handles better, but ultimately you will be limited by the all-season tires.

Personally, I'd start with tires, then change the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 11:28 PM   #21
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90convert View Post
What tires and pressures are you running? Stock sizes are 35/35, but if you run 255/275 then you can air them down to 32/32 to match the load capacity of the stock setup. This would help smooth out the ride a bit. If your looking for grip, get PS4S, Conti Sport, or Bridgestone Potenza Sport tires for street tires. They warm-up quick and work well in the rain. If you want to refresh the ride and subjective feel of the chassis, then get some adjustable shocks and inspect the bushings for excessive wear or cracking. Play with the settings of the dampers to get the ride quality where you want it. You may pick up some grip by adding compliance and smoothing out the ride over bumpy roads. Coilovers may make the car feel like it handles better, but ultimately you will be limited by the all-season tires.

I read that wiser tyres do not equal more grip always and that sometimes lower pressures are needed.

I never realised at 255/275 it would be as low as 32 psi.

It kind of makes sense though, as I'm 34PSI cold I have controllable slip under power more easily than I did with stock sizes at 35psi. This really confused me.

I may try 32-33 psi cold next, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 06:50 AM   #22
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90convert View Post

This is all great advice. However, with regards to the last line, I would say if don't actually need tires, then a suspension is in order IMO, as the stock suspension is just so bad, and a nice used MPS can be had for nearly the same price as a new set of tires.
Appreciate 0