01-14-2024, 05:42 PM   #67
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
No, Inertia Labs doesn’t own one. They are $$$$$! KW owns one along with top teams in the highest levels of professional racing own them. I’m not sure whether all car manufacturers own them and, instead, they’d use for example KW’s rig and extensive knowledge. The entire car is placed on the shaker rig (see below for video and pic). Basically, you can apply loads to the chassis at each wheel to simulate the inputs, bumps, curbs, undulations, etc., of a race track and/or section of road.

Damping calculations:
https://www.chassissim.com/wp-conten...ng%20velocity.

Shaker video:
https://youtu.be/_SPflUyT1rQ?si=JDIrsxXyIux67S_c
Wow. I hadn't quite put together that this was something the car was mounted on. It makes sense, but I thought it was some sort of shock off the car simulator
      01-15-2024, 04:18 PM   #68
Inertia Lab
Registered
Rep
Drives: C5Z, Porsche 928, Civic Si

Where to begin...

The eR3 is going to allow a hybrid of control while still allowing the improvement brought by the eR1. The Nitron valving (most systems are built this way) is biased to rebound forces for control. It has an effect on compression, but the pressure differential across the piston on compression is so much smaller that it is less determinant of the behavior when the same orifice is shared for both directions. You can then add compression forces at the track with the eR3 which can give the response you want from the car. That damping force will remain no matter what the EDC decides to do. Ideally, you can also remove this extra force when not needed say for a pothole ridden street and not have any of the bad behavior associated with always having those compression forces at the piston and dealing with whatever the EDC decides to do with them. Compression input is a broad spectrum and a wild card of road inputs where rebound inputs are based only on the stored energy in the system and inertias. That is why lower compression forces are typically used in road vehicles, so nothing out of control happens while biasing for lower damper speed control. Regressive valving was an attempt to have the cake and eat it too in oval racing, but it is track specific. Getting off topic.

You do not need shaker rigs to characterize damper responses with modern EMA dynos. Electromagnetically actuated dynos are designed to replay a response of any kind within the power it is capable of using to do so. These machines can produce terrifying reactions to input to a shock. This is a very wide range of responses and data can be fed into the software to generate those same responses. **Nitron has one of these machines.** They also use them for noise testing and more advanced damper testing.
Shaker rigs are utilized for more deep pocketed clients with experience utilizing that info. Nitron has done this at the Lola facility, but it is too specific to be applied very widely unless you test all those scenarios. Nitron systems have a breadth of applicable spring rates and vehicle weights it will work with and most good shock builders and manufacturers are able to specify this well. Inertia Lab has had a few requests to take a car to a shaker rig, but upon learning it costs at least 5k+ for a 4-post per 8hr day including setup time (hrs) plus amenities, work space for shock modification etc it is usually dropped by the customer. 7-posts are much more and hrs of day1 is setup. You better go with an educated plan and know how to extract what you need to. It is not somewhere you show up and assume it will spit out some ideal solution. Typically 7-posts are used in conjunction with aeromap data, tire data, at least one team engineer and an eye for compromises and rational windows of performance.
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4692.50
      01-15-2024, 07:12 PM   #69
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate the post. Reading and re-reading to try and understand more fully. The. Valve in the eR3 will be the same as eR1, but you'll be able to add more compression onto the eR3 through the manual adjustment?

How steep is the gradient where high and low speed compression settings are independent, or is there always a bit of overlap? Does adjusting one impact the other?

If the compression setting on the eR1 are significantly overshadowed by rebound. Does spring rate control more of the compression damping? What does it mean for spring rates on eR3.

How difficult is it to adapt valving to a manufacturers voltage logic to create an optimal damper? Nitron doesn't offer a wide range of e-dampers. BMW is one of them. Are you optimistic that this will be as good or better than other EDC options?
      01-15-2024, 07:59 PM   #70
Inertia Lab
Registered
Rep
Drives: C5Z, Porsche 928, Civic Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Appreciate the post. Reading and re-reading to try and understand more fully. The. Valve in the eR3 will be the same as eR1, but you'll be able to add more compression onto the eR3 through the manual adjustment?

How steep is the gradient where high and low speed compression settings are independent, or is there always a bit of overlap? Does adjusting one impact the other?

If the compression setting on the eR1 are significantly overshadowed by rebound. Does spring rate control more of the compression damping? What does it mean for spring rates on eR3.

How difficult is it to adapt valving to a manufacturers voltage logic to create an optimal damper? Nitron doesn't offer a wide range of e-dampers. BMW is one of them. Are you optimistic that this will be as good or better than other EDC options?
eR3 will have a reservoir with two compression adjusters on it the same as a manual R3.

The link below is a description of how most 3-way compression setups work including Nitron.

https://youtu.be/9NRHFrtMv_E?si=voyefK3QU1KPD-xw

You wont be more or less limited on spring rates with either system.

There is no such thing as an optimal damper or optimal damping in practice. It is too much of a moving target and EDC is not a magician. It is a reduction of compromise in what ever limits they decided to work within.

The system will be excellent if it is like their other products. My confidence is high.
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4692.50
      01-19-2024, 08:38 PM   #71
Aeko
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C, 01 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post
Can EDC be retrofitted to a non-EDC car?
Can the DCU but retrofitted to an eR1/3?
Yes, I retrofit EDC to the F87 M2C
Appreciate 1
n8dgr84173.50
      02-02-2024, 05:03 PM   #72
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

25% to target objective.

How are things on the Nitron front?
      02-02-2024, 07:29 PM   #73
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
25% to target objective.

How are things on the Nitron front?
Sounds like the broke out of customs jail in Cincy today so should be early next week!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 09:28 PM   #74
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Good stuff. I figure that by the time my piggybank is ready the Nitrons will be ready so that's preferable anyway.

In the meantime. If you can come up with a trick and easy way to wire the axle lift on the CS id appreciate it

I was wondering if there is a euro switch like the headlight switch with rear fogs could be used. I'm hoping they come out with an app that allows lift via GPS. Home and Costco are necessary lift points

The tax man has made it much less fun to side hustle. Side hustle good, then 1099 shows up
      02-03-2024, 01:41 PM   #75
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Good stuff. I figure that by the time my piggybank is ready the Nitrons will be ready so that's preferable anyway.

In the meantime. If you can come up with a trick and easy way to wire the axle lift on the CS id appreciate it

I was wondering if there is a euro switch like the headlight switch with rear fogs could be used. I'm hoping they come out with an app that allows lift via GPS. Home and Costco are necessary lift points

The tax man has made it much less fun to side hustle. Side hustle good, then 1099 shows up
No FAL yet - that’s still going to be a bit. Definitely going to come up with a smooth install kit though - absolutely has to be clean. FYI going to do as much as we can with them over the next month but we are also in full on prep for Super Lap Battle too so will not be able to be our main focus quite yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 01:53 PM   #76
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
No FAL yet - that’s still going to be a bit. Definitely going to come up with a smooth install kit though - absolutely has to be clean. FYI going to do as much as we can with them over the next month but we are also in full on prep for Super Lap Battle too so will not be able to be our main focus quite yet.
No worries. 2024 is a "save for upgrades" year. No planned track events. I figure 2025 will be more fun with new suspension and other goodies.
      02-06-2024, 12:02 AM   #77
OG Shark
Rep

It's the Porsche kit though... M2 should be here shortly

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 05:11 AM   #78
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's the Porsche kit though... M2 should be here shortly

At least they are showing up. Is this a custom valving or straight from Nitron?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 10:49 AM   #79
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Any chance we could get a write up from you and Inertia about the work that goes into testing a suspension and then adapting the valving? I think we all hear custom valved suspension and kinda know what's going on, but do we really know?

Like most things I think the Tuner plays a key role in a quality product. I didn't just want a good suspension from a quality manufacturer. I wanted a good suspension, from a quality manufacturer, that was tune specifically for my chassis. Im sure the m3/m4 get things close, but does the F87 require different settings than m3/m4 even if the springs and shocks were valved the same?

Reading content helps pass the time
      02-17-2024, 09:01 AM   #80
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

33%
      02-17-2024, 08:56 PM   #81
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Any chance we could get a write up from you and Inertia about the work that goes into testing a suspension and then adapting the valving? I think we all hear custom valved suspension and kinda know what's going on, but do we really know?

Like most things I think the Tuner plays a key role in a quality product. I didn't just want a good suspension from a quality manufacturer. I wanted a good suspension, from a quality manufacturer, that was tune specifically for my chassis. Im sure the m3/m4 get things close, but does the F87 require different settings than m3/m4 even if the springs and shocks were valved the same?

Reading content helps pass the time
Cliff notes - we make them go faster, we make them go better... sorry that's all I have for right now. When we get past Super Lap Battle and deeper into the the tuning on these kits I'll detail the process a bit. I will not be able to get too deep into specifics but will can give an outline of what all we did.

Quote:
33%
It's like a layaway program happening there - love it!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 08:19 PM   #82
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

50%
      03-19-2024, 07:01 PM   #83
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

OG Shark

What did you think of the new e-tron R3 vs a manual R3?
      03-19-2024, 10:22 PM   #84
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
OG Shark

What did you think of the new e-tron R3 vs a manual R3?
Certainly see the potential but going to take some time to get them where we want them. I can tell you the dial in process is going to be a bit harder with them.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 05:54 AM   #85
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Are they going to require some revalving to OG specs?

Reading between the lines it might seem that these could be overly complicated for the average enthusiast? Unless you have someone that has tuned them for a specific chassis.
      03-20-2024, 11:12 AM   #86
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Are they going to require some revalving to OG specs?

Reading between the lines it might seem that these could be overly complicated for the average enthusiast? Unless you have someone that has tuned them for a specific chassis.
No I would not say that at all. More difficult on our side in that we are very limited in our amount of electronic selections available - so we want to absolutely make the most that we can out of each one. On the user side I feel like they are simpler than a traditional 3way. Everything is still on the table with our development.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 04:20 PM   #87
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No I would not say that at all. More difficult on our side in that we are very limited in our amount of electronic selections available - so we want to absolutely make the most that we can out of each one. On the user side I feel like they are simpler than a traditional 3way. Everything is still on the table with our development.
Keep at it. I've got the faith. My pennies are accumulating. I'll be ready.
Was wondering if using the Euro headlight switch with the fog lights would be a nice way to use the axle lift.

I watch a video about Nitrons upcoming tech. I'm confident their app will allow gps triggers for axle lift. That would be ideal.
      03-20-2024, 07:29 PM   #88
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Keep at it. I've got the faith. My pennies are accumulating. I'll be ready.
Was wondering if using the Euro headlight switch with the fog lights would be a nice way to use the axle lift.

I watch a video about Nitrons upcoming tech. I'm confident their app will allow gps triggers for axle lift. That would be ideal.
Once I have the controller in hand I will look into something we can do to cleanly install and then make that available with our kits as an option or something. I definitely want the switch to look like it came that way too.
Appreciate 1