BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > looking for fender cover recommendations

08-18-2023, 10:15 AM   #1
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Question looking for fender cover recommendations

I'm gearing up to perform a brake fluid flush on my LCI M2. I just got in the nice BMS protective socket for removing the wheel lug bolts — recommended by F87source. I think the last item to get in place before I'm ready is a fender cover. I really want to avoid an oops moment where I get brake fluid on the paint!

Anyone have any recommendations for fender covers? I see some that look OK at both FCP Euro and Turner Motorsport. Some are vinyl. Some are soft/cloth. Some have magnets, some don't. None of them stand out to me as THE ONE to buy.

My searches on the forum turned up empty. So I'd love any recommendations if any of you have a fender cover that works really nicely with your M2. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 10:57 AM   #2
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

I use the GearWrench one mainly because it was gifted to me during a previous life. I see that it's on sale now on Amazon for about $20.

It covers a fairly large surface area, attaches with magnets, and the surface has a nice texture to it. Doesn't have tool pockets, though I'm not sure how I feel about those, in general. I'm sure there are better options at full price but at a discount it's worth buying.

If you're doing enough flushes, consider looking into a vacuum bleeder too. Makes the one-man job a little bit easier.
Appreciate 1
jefe2000739.50
      08-18-2023, 05:34 PM   #3
c0riolis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT

I use this one [1] from OEM tools, it's pretty decent and you can remove the magnets to wash it.

With that said you don't really need it, you can just put a few microfiber towels to shield sensitive areas. Keep a bottle/spray of soapy water nearby when you do it so you can wipe and wash the fluid right away if you splash some brake fluid where you should not.

Also, if you can I recommend you get a pressure bleeder, it makes the job much easier to do alone.

[1]: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LCEVJGM
Appreciate 1
jefe2000739.50
      08-19-2023, 09:08 AM   #4
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Thumbs up

Thanks for the fender cover recommendations, I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
If you're doing enough flushes, consider looking into a vacuum bleeder too. Makes the one-man job a little bit easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0riolis View Post
Also, if you can I recommend you get a pressure bleeder, it makes the job much easier to do alone.
I picked up a Motive Power Bleeder.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 11:43 AM   #5
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quick follow-up on the fender cover I ended up choosing. I ended up getting one from FCP Euro made by GearWrench (the one recommended by (K) above):
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/fen...arwrench-86991

I like it pretty well. The magnets hold it place on the fenders quite securely. The "tool trough" on top is deep enough to keep tools in place (and the extra tool weight further anchors the cover in place). It's thick enough to feel like it's doing a good job protecting the paintwork from spills and drops.

If I were to offer a critique: I wish it were every-so-slightly taller so it would cover more of the car. This is especially when I have it covering the front bumper cover as I lean into the front of the engine bay.

And definitely on the plus side, I got this from FCP Euro: when it cracks/rips/ages, I'll just put the the lifetime replacement policy into action.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 07:18 PM   #6
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I bought a microfibre "fender cover" from a detailing shop, I think it offers enough protection for brake fluid changes. I should probably get a proper one that would offer more peace of mind during other work in the engine bay.

If you want to just go for a microfibre option then you probably could just buy a 20x40" towel or something, mine was listed specifically as a fender cover but it doesn't really seem all that different to other large glass cleaning microfibre towels.
Appreciate 0