BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bimmercode topics

03-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #1673
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
Did your VLD improve even more after adding GHB? TIA!
GFHB Is not going to affect your low beam pattern whatsoever. If you don't have your auto high beams switched on you won't notice any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalaudio View Post
How can you tell is coded ? Do you need to press a button or it's always on at night ?
You turn have to turn auto high beams on:

It will then do everything automatically while you drive around at night. You'll notice that Instead of both high beams shutting off when there's oncoming traffic, only the left one will. Things of that nature. Trust me, you'll know if it's working or not. It's really obvious because you'll see a ton of new headlight movement and high beam function.
Appreciate 3
      03-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #1674
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Did your VLD improve even more after adding GHB? TIA!
GFHB Is not going to affect your low beam pattern whatsoever. If you don't have your auto high beams switched on you won't notice any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalaudio View Post
How can you tell is coded ? Do you need to press a button or it's always on at night ?
You turn have to turn auto high beams on:

It will then do everything automatically while you drive around at night. You'll notice that Instead of both high beams shutting off when there's oncoming traffic, only the left one will. Things of that nature. Trust me, you'll know if it's working or not. It's really obvious because you'll see a ton of new headlight movement and high beam function.
Thanks! I will try this tonight.
Thanks for the reply
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #1675
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Thanks for that great info andrewc89

I take your xenons behave like this now:
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #1676
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for that great info andrewc89

I take your xenons behave like this now:
Correct, but ONLY when the auto high beam function is switched on and the headlight switch is set to auto.

If you drive around with the headlights switched on manually or push out your high beam stalk instead of using the auto function, neither VLD nor GFHB will be active.
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #1677
///M²
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
VLD (Variable Light Distribution):

Front Electronic Module > Expert Mode >

3073 LaMaster1 > LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y > 9C,9C,9C (Both)

3073 LaMaster1 > C_AFS_ENA > Enable (Both)

Note: You'll see two check marks. If you tap the top one, the bottom one will go away. Make your selection. Back out. Go back in. Both correct selections should have the blue check mark next to them.
Will be coding in the VLD today, just wanted to verify, especially with all the testing going on lately, are these the only parameters to be changed as per your post above, or are there new ones as well.

NGHB would be nice! Too bad we're missing the shutter in our NA headlights.
      03-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #1678
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M² View Post
Will be coding in the VLD today, just wanted to verify, especially with all the testing going on lately, are these the only parameters to be changed as per your post above, or are there new ones as well.

NGHB would be nice! Too bad we're missing the shutter in our NA headlights.
Yes, It's just those codes for VLD. They've been confirmed to work for quite sometime, nothings changed there.

NGHB is what we're currently experimenting with.
Appreciate 2
///M²282.50
      03-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #1679
mike in o.c.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M / 2018 X3 M40i

Anyone else not able to get into the Instrument Cluster ECU in BimmerCode after getting the BMW software update for the instrument gauge issues?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #1680
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Can I ask a stupid question. I want to code rear DRL but looking at the pics of the LCI tail lights in the referenced thread by Andrew. What is the inner DRL and outer DRL? You can choose either or both in the app and not sure which is which...thx

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1450178
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #1681
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' M2 LCI, 21' X4 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in o.c. View Post
Anyone else not able to get into the Instrument Cluster ECU in BimmerCode after getting the BMW software update for the instrument gauge issues?
Same here.
Only I did first coding after the software update. So the Instrument Cluster was greyed all the way for me...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #1682
evilIu4
Rep
Drives: A3

Bump Regarding this.

Hi All,
I did some coding with bimmerpost, turning off disclaimer, comfort access with keyfob, vld, turn off radio when door open. But after coding these, it seem my follow me home light stop working. Basically when I turn off the car at night, light stay on for 20 seconds, this is set with in IDdrive. You can turn this on and off in I drive, but after coding with bimmercode, it seem that it's not working any more.

What it is is that, before I would turn off engine, get out of the car, and I would have the light on automatic, once I exit car, and lock car, the light would stay on the the amount of time i set it for the welcome light. But after coding with bimmercode to welcome light to hard on, it seem I have to turn off the car. TURN the stock high beam ON for the follow me home to work as oppose to just get out of car and lock car.

I tried reset everything back to normal, and everything is fine EXCEPT welcome light/follow me home light. Can someone help. Mine is 2018 LCI.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #1683
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilIu4 View Post
Bump Regarding this.

Hi All,
I did some coding with bimmerpost, turning off disclaimer, comfort access with keyfob, vld, turn off radio when door open. But after coding these, it seem my follow me home light stop working. Basically when I turn off the car at night, light stay on for 20 seconds, this is set with in IDdrive. You can turn this on and off in I drive, but after coding with bimmercode, it seem that it's not working any more.

What it is is that, before I would turn off engine, get out of the car, and I would have the light on automatic, once I exit car, and lock car, the light would stay on the the amount of time i set it for the welcome light. But after coding with bimmercode to welcome light to hard on, it seem I have to turn off the car. TURN the stock high beam ON for the follow me home to work as oppose to just get out of car and lock car.

I tried reset everything back to normal, and everything is fine EXCEPT welcome light/follow me home light. Can someone help. Mine is 2018 LCI.

Thanks in advance.
I started coding pretty early on, so I don't remember what the behaviour was like originally. I can confirm however that the behaviour I have now does fit with yours; after stopping the engine, the lights turn off, and I'd have to hit the high beam to turn on the follow me home lights.

I wonder if it's related to the change to unlock doors when you turn off ignition, or radio off on door open.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #1684
evilIu4
Rep
Drives: A3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I started coding pretty early on, so I don't remember what the behaviour was like originally. I can confirm however that the behaviour I have now does fit with yours; after stopping the engine, the lights turn off, and I'd have to hit the high beam to turn on the follow me home lights.

I wonder if it's related to the change to unlock doors when you turn off ignition, or radio off on door open.
Hi Nezil,
That seem like the most likely case, where it happened after I code ignition off/radio off after door open. Just don't know what the the coding to revert back to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #1685
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Ghosts in the machine...

Seems that a number of people are noticing some strange behavior after they code their car with the bimmercode app. I'm not going to list them all here again, but I wonder if it might be a good idea to list these known "ghosts" on a google doc and post it so those doing their own coding can scan the list as a prelim so they know what could potentially happen...and more importantly how to fix it as it doesn't seem that restoring the back up is fail safe.

That said, I have a strange gremlin. I performed a list of what I consider pretty standard/basic changes using the bimmercode app, nothing that required using expert mode. All went smoothly and I was completed in about 8 minutes. I have noticed that the "Gear Suggestion" icon that usually appears in the instrument cluster is no longer appearing. It was there. Now it is gone. All driving modes. I don't know for sure if this is a result of the coding or not - I also had an issue with my MPE which I recently had resolved by the dealer (after I coded the car). When I got the car back from the dealer, the Gear Suggestion was again appearing in the cluster, so I thought they wiped my coding. However, all the things I coded are still operating the way I would like them to (VIM, disclaimer, unlock on start button press, etc.). Fast forward a couple of weeks...start up the car today...and *poof*...Gear Suggestion not appearing in the cluster again. I'm not complaining too much as the reason I got an MT was so the I could decide what gear I would like the car to be in...don't need you to tell me BMW thank you very much. Just strange. Should I be afraid to feed the car after midnight...Anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 04:33 PM   #1686
chip_dip19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB --> LBB View Post
Seems that a number of people are noticing some strange behavior after they code their car with the bimmercode app. I'm not going to list them all here again, but I wonder if it might be a good idea to list these known "ghosts" on a google doc and post it so those doing their own coding can scan the list as a prelim so they know what could potentially happen...and more importantly how to fix it as it doesn't seem that restoring the back up is fail safe.

That said, I have a strange gremlin. I performed a list of what I consider pretty standard/basic changes using the bimmercode app, nothing that required using expert mode. All went smoothly and I was completed in about 8 minutes. I have noticed that the "Gear Suggestion" icon that usually appears in the instrument cluster is no longer appearing. It was there. Now it is gone. All driving modes. I don't know for sure if this is a result of the coding or not - I also had an issue with my MPE which I recently had resolved by the dealer (after I coded the car). When I got the car back from the dealer, the Gear Suggestion was again appearing in the cluster, so I thought they wiped my coding. However, all the things I coded are still operating the way I would like them to (VIM, disclaimer, unlock on start button press, etc.). Fast forward a couple of weeks...start up the car today...and *poof*...Gear Suggestion not appearing in the cluster again. I'm not complaining too much as the reason I got an MT was so the I could decide what gear I would like the car to be in...don't need you to tell me BMW thank you very much. Just strange. Should I be afraid to feed the car after midnight...Anyone else have this issue?
Don't have this issue but this can be turned on/off within Idrive itself
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #1687
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB --> LBB View Post

I'm not sure that these are specifically BimmerCode issues. I still read this thread because I view it as more of a coding reference, rather than specifically BimmerCode, despite the thread title.

I gave up using BimmerCode months back because it crashed my navigation costing me $60 to a third party for some sort of file that would activate it again. It was painless, and it worked, but I'd have had to ask a dealer for this otherwise and it would have been obvious that I'd done it through playing with BimmerCode.

In my case, the problem seemed to be that BimmerCode takes a long time to communicate with ECUs. An ECU with a large data set, like FEM Body would take more than 5 minutes to read or write, and sometimes, the ECU would time out. In fact in the case of FEM Body, almost every time it would time out and fail.

Whenever it fails, for whatever reason, time out in my case it seems, the ECU needs to be re-coded to get it working again. BimmerCode can theoretically do this from a backup, but not if it times out every time!

I switched over to E-Sys after that experience, which is much much faster, and allows you to code off-line, as well as compare the coding effect of removing something from your options list (like VLD and NGHB) or region, without actually doing anything to your car. When you actually do code FEM Body with E-Sys, it takes about 10 seconds, so there is far less risk of something going wrong.

Now that Expert Mode exists, there isn't much actual coding that you cannot do on BimmerCode that you would need E-Sys for. BimmerCode is obviously more convenient because it runs on a cell phone, but I really like the speed, safety and flexibility that you get from E-Sys. You get a better understanding of what's going on under the hood of BimmerCode by using E-Sys, but you might not want to know or care about that.

I don't necessarily want to blame BimmerCode for the issues I had, because I know many people have had no issues at all. I know that BimmerCode uses a different (slower) protocol to E-Sys to do the coding, but there was a suggestion from the developer that my VGate iCar might be causing the slow communication. I've changed that however, and the behaviour and performance is identical. It's also possible that it's my phone that's the issue, but given the fragmentation of Android, that's actually a more scary proposition!

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #1688
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilIu4 View Post
Hi Nezil,
That seem like the most likely case, where it happened after I code ignition off/radio off after door open. Just don't know what the the coding to revert back to it.
Not sure if it's an option without going into Expert Mode or not, but here is the location of the change:

FEM_Body -> 3020 TcMaster -> TCM_LOGIC_R_OFF_DOOR -> nicht_aktiv (00) [default for US cars] / aktiv (01) [enabled]

Appreciate 1
evilIu414.00
      03-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #1689
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Can I ask a stupid question. I want to code rear DRL but looking at the pics of the LCI tail lights in the referenced thread by Andrew. What is the inner DRL and outer DRL? You can choose either or both in the app and not sure which is which...thx

Curious as well. andrewc89 would you please explain? Thanks.
      03-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #1690
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Curious as well. andrewc89 would you please explain? Thanks.

Appreciate 3
SeanWRT3179.00
Poochie9104.50
      03-13-2018, 11:12 PM   #1691
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Is there any performance or other differences between using the BLE or wifi adapter?
Is one preferred over the other?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 11:50 PM   #1692
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Is there any performance or other differences between using the BLE or wifi adapter?
Wifi has better range and higher transfer speeds.
Appreciate 2
      03-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #1693
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

the Bluetooth version seems to perform better in most cases.

Schöne Grüße / Kind regards
Stephan Gauch

BimmerCode App
Stephan Gauch ·

Hi Stephan

Is there any performance or other differences between using the BLE or wifi adapter with your app.

Thanks in advance for your answer.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 09:20 AM   #1694
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
the Bluetooth version seems to perform better in most cases.

Schöne Grüße / Kind regards
Stephan Gauch

BimmerCode App
Stephan Gauch ·

Hi Stephan

Is there any performance or other differences between using the BLE or wifi adapter with your app.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Bluetooth_vs_Wifi
Appreciate 1