BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > $60k Conundrum, without too much of a bias, GT350 or M2 Comp?

05-10-2022, 11:51 PM   #1
s1k_RR
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

$60k Conundrum, without too much of a bias, GT350 or M2 Comp?

Looking to get input from those that have had the pleasure of owning both. I'm looking at 18+ GT350 and M2C manual. This will be a daily-ish car, I work from home so no real commute.

I'm all ears! I'm still in the hunt for a Sunset Orange M2C manual + sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 05:54 AM   #2
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

There was a gt350 in front of me at the track and boy did that thing sound incredible. M2 wins in how it looks though. Both great cars.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2022, 05:57 AM   #3
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1k_RR View Post
Looking to get input from those that have had the pleasure of owning both. I'm looking at 18+ GT350 and M2C manual. This will be a daily-ish car, I work from home so no real commute.

I'm all ears! I'm still in the hunt for a Sunset Orange M2C manual + sunroof.
paging Mr. Maboomba
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 07:08 AM   #4
fixa
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C

Drive them both back to back and you'll know your answer. Was prepared to buy M2C then drove the Shelby and I was sold.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 09:03 AM   #5
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Currently have the M2C & had a GT350R a couple of years back. Both great cars. For the usage you describe both would fit the role well. Both have their pro's & con's - so the cliche it's a personal choice really fits here. The GT350 is a fun car - really enjoyed mine. The sounds - the high revving V8 - love it. Fit & finish - maybe not the best but for me isn't a big deal. The M2C also fun - but turbo characteristics are definitely present. Not saying that is good or bad - just different. Sound - well they aren't going to sound as good even with the best systems. Fun - definitely. More nimble & playful. 6spd is a bit dull oem to me but can be rectified.

To me it's about what moves you with a car. The ceiling of an M2C is higher if ultimate performance is a driver for you. It is sharper but the GT350 is no slouch either. The GT350 is also full of personality - and a lot of those qualities are what put a smile on my face when driving a car. The sounds, the rumble, the looks, all that fun stuff adds up for me. This is actually why I prefer the E9x M3 over the M2 as well but that is another story. I really enjoy the F87 platform - I think the comp is the best "reasonably" priced street/track dual duty option available right now - but definitely feel like it can be a bit on the cold side in personality (turbo cars do that to me though). Drive them both - see which puts the bigger grin on your face...
Appreciate 2
M3R12197.00
      05-11-2022, 12:28 PM   #6
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixa View Post
Drive them both back to back and you'll know your answer. Was prepared to buy M2C then drove the Shelby and I was sold.
^This. Drive them both, one after another, then determine which one suits your needs more.

I was in the same situation as you, with the addition of the Camaro ZL1 as a 3rd contender. Budget of ~$70k. I spent considerable time September - November test driving all three of these vehicles, a few different times.

In the end, I came to the realization that I'm a bit of a torque junky and that's what ultimately swayed me away from the beautifully sounding and more masculine looking GT350.

I darn near pulled the trigger on the ZL1. It sounded great, had an amazing power band and surprisingly the best interior of all three, in my opinion. However, in the end I went with the M2C. The biggest factors being that on the road, the M2C felt smaller, lighter and the most agile. In addition, it provided the most usable fun factor, in terms of regular street driving and canyon roads.

The ZL1 was by far the fastest and was an exhilarating experience when pushed. However, I quickly found that in order to get that sensation, you immediately find yourself well into the triple digits. Frankly, that scared me. Especially as a new Dad.

Regardless, I highly suggest back to back test drives to really determine what's best for you.
      05-11-2022, 12:57 PM   #7
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

When shopping for a new car both these cars were on the final list. Ultimately, went with the M2C, but that GT350 is really special. In fact, from a driving enjoyment perspective I think it actually had a better shifter/clutch combo. I don't think you can go wrong, at least in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 01:03 PM   #8
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

I couldn't get past the body panel gaps and the class action suit.
I have owned 5 mustangs. Not a hater at all.

If I could get a GT 350 Heritage without the ADM I would get one quick.

I just have an issue with the amount of money and the shitty build quality.
Its one thing on a 40k GT but to pay 60-70-80 etc. with ADM
for a car that looks like it wasn't assembled correctly? I couldn't do it.

M2C for me

Last edited by Steelguin; 05-11-2022 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
s1k_RR54.50
      05-11-2022, 01:57 PM   #9
s1k_RR
Private
Rep

I'm probably sticking with M2C, need something more streetable and not too terrible in gas. I noticed the GT350 is only a little better than my viper. Dont need another gas guzzling 2 door.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 02:53 PM   #10
leopard print
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

Quote:
I'm probably sticking with M2C, need something more streetable and not too terrible in gas. I noticed the GT350 is only a little better than my viper. Dont need another gas guzzling 2 door.
I would choose the Viper over the Mustang any day of the week (if it's not for a commuter). I remember searching for one several years back when used ones could be had for under $100K, but could never pull the trigger. Now even the SRTs are going for mid-$100K.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 04:58 PM   #11
s1k_RR
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard print View Post
I would choose the Viper over the Mustang any day of the week (if it's not for a commuter). I remember searching for one several years back when used ones could be had for under $100K, but could never pull the trigger. Now even the SRTs are going for mid-$100K.
I already have the Viper, I meant that im trying to get an something that isn't too similar to it and between 350 and M2C the 350 is closer to what the Viper is: terrible MPG, not a comfy ride, front splitter really low, etc.
Right now finding that M2C is hard tho since Sunset Orange is a rare color, sunroof even rarer and then manual too.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 05:20 PM   #12
leopard print
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

Quote:
I already have the Viper, I meant that im trying to get an something that isn't too similar to it and between 350 and M2C the 350 is closer to what the Viper is: terrible MPG, not a comfy ride, front splitter really low, etc.
Right now finding that M2C is hard tho since Sunset Orange is a rare color, sunroof even rarer and then manual too.
Haha. Yeah, I already knew you had the viper because of your sig. I meant that if I personally had the Viper, I wouldn't even be thinking about a Mustang.

Sunset Orange was also my first choice. Eventually gave up and got a Hock Silver but am just as happy.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 06:27 PM   #13
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
If you already have a Viper, then I think the choice is clear on this one.

M2C
Appreciate 2
s1k_RR54.50
Fabb228.50
      05-11-2022, 07:22 PM   #14
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
For what it's worth, my trip computer is telling me I'm averaging 19.7 mpg with an average speed of around 27 mph in my car. Same setup as you're looking at (M/T+sunroof.) The trip computer hasn't been reset in about 6K miles. Now, obviously doing math at the pump is a better way to determine MPG, but I doubt the computer is THAT inaccurate either.

I thought it would be way worse since it seems like i'm always putting fuel in the car with it's miniature gas tank, but apparently i'm not actually burning that much gas despite enthusiastically getting on it a fair amount.

Side note: is your bike Hockenheim silver?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 07:52 PM   #15
Navy Davy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I thought it would be way worse since it seems like i'm always putting fuel in the car with it's miniature gas tank, but apparently i'm not actually burning that much gas despite enthusiastically getting on it a fair amount.
It's pretty decent on gas! My other car is a Grand Cherokee and they're pretty much the same on mpg, the M2 just takes premium. Gotta pay to play
Appreciate 1
ESB1183.00
      05-11-2022, 09:46 PM   #16
s1k_RR
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yup it is, I'm trying not to get a matching car so I'm looking at Sunset Orange. If not, LBB. LOL
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
ESB1183.00
      05-12-2022, 09:14 AM   #17
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
For what it's worth, my trip computer is telling me I'm averaging 19.7 mpg with an average speed of around 27 mph in my car. Same setup as you're looking at (M/T+sunroof.) The trip computer hasn't been reset in about 6K miles. Now, obviously doing math at the pump is a better way to determine MPG, but I doubt the computer is THAT inaccurate either.

I have mine reset after every few hours when the car has been sitting, and I've had a few commutes where I'm just cruising to work and saw 25 MPG. I did calculate by hand and the tank was about 23 MPG avg, which I think is excellent considering what the car can do. It's easily the most fuel efficient car I have, not that this was the priority.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
s1k_RR54.50
Moflow2484.50
      05-12-2022, 10:35 AM   #18
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I've never owned a Mustang but have driven a few...
What became obvious to me is how big of a car it is vs say a Mustang... and the build quality. If you are OK with those, I am sure a Gt350 is a solid car.
      05-12-2022, 10:36 AM   #19
eye.surgeon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Own a M2C and have driven a GT350. You really need to drive both. They're very different. It will be readily apparent which approach to a performance car you prefer once you drive them both. I found the mustang made an amazing noise but felt heavy and visibility was poor and the shifter was difficult. No disrespect to the car it is amazing and the engine is a marvel.
      05-12-2022, 03:48 PM   #20
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

The only thing I miss from the Mustangs I have owned is the sound. Hard to beat the sound of the V8 as compared to Turbo 6
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9737.00
      05-13-2022, 06:14 AM   #21
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon View Post
Own a M2C and have driven a GT350. You really need to drive both. They're very different. It will be readily apparent which approach to a performance car you prefer once you drive them both. I found the mustang made an amazing noise but felt heavy and visibility was poor and the shifter was difficult. No disrespect to the car it is amazing and the engine is a marvel.
this
very different experiences
for me I felt way more at home in the m2c in lots of ways
after test driving both and the mustang is just too big

given that the oP already has a viper...I think it's a no Brainer
m2c all the way
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 08:56 AM   #22
Noh Wan
Rep
Drives: M2C

GT350 was on my shortlist too. I went M2C for a few reasons.

1) In bumper to bumper traffic, the BMW is just a nicer place to be.
2) The Mustang draws a certain crowd. The M2 is (slightly) less likely to be noticed by every teenager wearing a flat-brimmed ball cap, ripping fat vapes, revving his mom's Civic with a fake R badge at every other stoplight.

They're both great and I think the fact that we're on a BMW forum and haven't completely shat all over the Ford is a testament to how good the GT350 really is, but it was M2 for me. NO surprise that the M2 owners all agreed M2.

I'm curious. Did you post this in a Mustang forum too? I'm sure they would recommend the Mustang, but I wonder what resons they give.