BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Vandalism!

12-20-2022, 03:20 AM   #23
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
That’s the thing, it’s everywhere. Some places in Spain, you’d have guys walking around vehicles and you’d give them money to ensure they didn’t break in while you were away, especially for a couple hours. You didn’t have to pay, but the potential damage to your vehicle or stolen contents would be worse. The problem was also, even if you didn’t have anything in your car, they would forcibly break in just to make sure. They don’t use wireless means or a Jimmy bar to get in either…it’s smashed glass or prying the door open. Maybe that’s changed but that’s what I saw all the time.

People had bars on their windows to prevent break ins. One day I’m in my kitchen and I see an arm reaching in to steal my salt shaker, until I smacked them with a broom handle lol.
I’d simply have to move out of that particular area

I’d never consider adapting to such ridiculousness as a whole
      12-20-2022, 06:29 AM   #24
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
I’d simply have to move out of that particular area

I’d never consider adapting to such ridiculousness as a whole
If you’re in the military there’s only so much the government pays for rent. You can of course spend more out of pocket but then you have to consider all your other expenses. Utilities are generally higher than they are in the US, especially gas. Even food costs more. With the current exchange rate, things might be a little better but it’s probably not as good as it was in the early 80s when young GIs could buy nice BMWs without a problem.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16539.00
      12-20-2022, 09:26 AM   #25
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
That’s the thing, it’s everywhere. Some places in Spain, you’d have guys walking around vehicles and you’d give them money to ensure they didn’t break in while you were away, especially for a couple hours. You didn’t have to pay, but the potential damage to your vehicle or stolen contents would be worse. The problem was also, even if you didn’t have anything in your car, they would forcibly break in just to make sure. They don’t use wireless means or a Jimmy bar to get in either…it’s smashed glass or prying the door open. Maybe that’s changed but that’s what I saw all the time.

People had bars on their windows to prevent break ins. One day I’m in my kitchen and I see an arm reaching in to steal my salt shaker, until I smacked them with a broom handle lol.
thats the same in Portugal. You give people money to help you park your car (basically they swing their hang around). If you don't give them some money, you could come back to a scratched car. Happened to my uncle once and also another time this guy helped him park in this spot and then called a tow truck on him cuz he didn't get any money.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 11:05 AM   #26
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

To be fair, Southern Europe is worse overall for car vandalism but there are plenty of places in the US inner cities that are bad too.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16539.00
      12-24-2022, 05:09 PM   #27
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
To be fair, Southern Europe is worse overall for car vandalism but there are plenty of places in the US inner cities that are bad too.
anywhere downtown is mainly a bad area in the US. my friend in Tampa got his M2C keyed all over his trunk and he had to get it repainted
Appreciate 1