BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > N55 vs S55

12-04-2022, 11:46 AM   #89
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moloc View Post
Plot twist...most people will not be able to tell the difference between an OG M2 and an M2C just by looking at it. They will be able to hear the difference though. That's what it really comes down to, the sound.
Obviously. The sound and NOT the performance is why people buy these cars. I can see clearly now.
Appreciate 2
Bruuuce341.50
Robin_NL8717.00
      12-04-2022, 02:43 PM   #90
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
That usage fits the OG perfectly. Lighter, sounds better, N55 cooling issues are not really a factor unless tracking, and the seats allow the use of Schroth QFP that will be a huge help in autocross (Comp seats will not). You can also add some power if you like without suffering the cooling downside you would see on the track.

If you were to track it I would say M2C all day (I believe it is one of the most fun dual duty cars available). But with street only & the occasional AutoX the N55 all day. The ceiling on the comp is much higher but if you are not going there it is not worth the additional weight, forced 19s, and flatulence.

A 6spd OG is an absolutely lovely car. Throw a CAE shifter on it and it is such a joy to drive on the street.
Good write up.

I have owned many 911 variants and most recently an R8 and have to admit I found myself driving my wife's 2018 LCI M2 all the time to the point where she said enough is enough.
I was offered $40k over what I paid for the R8 so decided to get a 2020 M2C so we'd have the best of both worlds. Now my wife drives the M2C all the time...

Anyhoo they are both a blast to drive and I agree with everything OG Shark posted above.

Such an awesome tale

Share a photograph if you wouldn't mind
      12-04-2022, 02:49 PM   #91
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

Such an awesome tale

991.2, R8 and new toy...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-04-2022, 02:52 PM   #92
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:

Such an awesome tale

991.2, R8 and new toy...
How fun

Thanks for sharing

One of my favorite videos of all times…

12-04-2022, 03:02 PM   #93
m2ss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How fun

Thanks for sharing

The sound above 4500 rpms is intoxicating.

Mine was the RWD version so think GT3 vs TT when it comes to traction.

I simply couldn't pass up the premium I was offered...
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16539.00
      12-04-2022, 03:07 PM   #94
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
How fun

Thanks for sharing

The sound above 4500 rpms is intoxicating.

Mine was the RWD version so think GT3 vs TT when it comes to traction.

I simply couldn't pass up the premium I was offered...
Oh for sure completely understood

I did a couple car deals over the last three years that I'll probably never have a chance to do again in my lifetime

Anyway back to the general topic…

12-04-2022, 09:38 PM   #95
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
Obviously. The sound and NOT the performance is why people buy these cars. I can see clearly now.
With the cars being so close in stock performance it's no wonder that sound is a major factor, it's one of the few things that clearly separate them. The average buyer who isn't going to modify or race the car will stand there going, why would I pay $6K more for the M2C when it has bigger brakes I don't need, sounds worse, doesn't feel as fast, and has the possibility of a crank hub failure? For seats? For buttons? For a new front end that doesn't look as classic? The answer is; he won't.

But to the guy that sees more of the big brother M3/M4 (even in sound) reflected in the M2C and knows he can make it a weapon, $6K seems like pennies.

$6K isn't pennies to me, but I wouldn't miss it in my bank account either, so my choice was made based on many factors, not just the sound. I'll also say that when I was looking at the two in 2019 there was a lot more than the $6K MSRP difference in price, as deals could be made on the 2018 but not the 2019, so it was more like $10K difference.
Appreciate 3
DanG10660.50
OG Shark4692.50
///M TOWN16539.00
      12-05-2022, 06:02 AM   #96
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
With the cars being so close in stock performance it's no wonder that sound is a major factor, it's one of the few things that clearly separate them. The average buyer who isn't going to modify or race the car will stand there going, why would I pay $6K more for the M2C when it has bigger brakes I don't need, sounds worse, doesn't feel as fast, and has the possibility of a crank hub failure? For seats? For buttons? For a new front end that doesn't look as classic? The answer is; he won't.

But to the guy that sees more of the big brother M3/M4 (even in sound) reflected in the M2C and knows he can make it a weapon, $6K seems like pennies.

$6K isn't pennies to me, but I wouldn't miss it in my bank account either, so my choice was made based on many factors, not just the sound. I'll also say that when I was looking at the two in 2019 there was a lot more than the $6K MSRP difference in price, as deals could be made on the 2018 but not the 2019, so it was more like $10K difference.
And you did what you felt was right. You don't need to explain it to me. This thread, as I remember is not about fiscal responsibility, or why do I need bigger brakes when smaller ones stop the car too, it was about N55 vs S55 which tells me the OP isn't looking to leave the car stock, in which case there is no comparison. Then the N55 apologists came in to defend their purchase and talk about the sound, because that's the only straw left to hold onto... Anyway, happy you're happy with the choice you made and enjoy the car.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
Robin_NL8717.00
      12-05-2022, 06:25 AM   #97
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moloc View Post
Plot twist...most people will not be able to tell the difference between an OG M2 and an M2C just by looking at it. They will be able to hear the difference though. That's what it really comes down to, the sound.
Haha, yes, I choose my cars based on the exhaust sound and how pedestrians react to it when I drive by....
Appreciate 3
chris7197334.00
Robin_NL8717.00
hlm2c289.50
      12-05-2022, 10:09 AM   #98
m2ss
Captain
Rep

I love this place, it's the reason why I keep coming back...
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16539.00
      12-05-2022, 11:45 AM   #99
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, 530i M Sprt Pckg

Quote:
I was in your shoes, and bought a 2018 LCI. I have a LOT of car friends, and have been asked why I bought the OG instead of the Comp ad nauseam, so I made a little doc that I could just copy paste. It'll allow you to see the differences pretty clearly and make your own judgement.

For me personally it was the sound of the S55 that was the deal-breaker, it's that bad. You'll read/hear that it can be fixed, but it can't, most guys just make it louder to cover up the sound. You can make it sound better at a rev for sure, but who sits around revving their car? Also, I prefer the classic front end, but wouldn't kick the Comp bumper out of bed.

OG M2 vs M2C

OG M2 Positives (that are either absolute, or most would agree on):
- 121 lbs lighter
- Sounds significantly better
- Visually more pleasing muffler section
- Less expensive MSRP ($5,400), and less expensive to buy used
- N55 makes more torque down low, and feels like it has more grunt in normal driving
- Significantly less chance of a crank hub failure
- 437M wheels are lighter and more preferred over the 788M wheels
- Blue brakes can support 18” wheels
- No scoring issues with 19” wheels because no 2NH option
- Can fit slightly wider front tires without modification
- Easier to change brake pads on
- Many report that the seats in the OG are more comfortable, if not as good looking as the Comp seats.
- Unlocked DME (no issues with tuning/flashing)

M2C Positives (that are either absolute, or most would agree on):
- +40 hp and +63 torque
- 2NH brake package is superior for tracked cars
- Significantly better cooling for tracked cars
- 25% bespoke parts compared to the N55 (including a closed deck and forged pistons), all geared towards competition
- Slightly updated VANOS system
- Larger front air intakes (to also help with cooling tracked cars)
- Significantly superior power when modified
- More advanced water to air IC
- Visually more preferred seats, and seatbelts
- M1/M2 buttons/settings
- Front parking sensors added
- Visually more pleasing exhaust tips
- Better and more appealing side mirrors
- Carbon fiber strut tower brace
- Steering, diff, and TC software upgrades (available on OG M2 as well)

The M2C’s front end styling is personal preference, as some prefer the older, more classic BMW look of the OG front grill, and some prefer the newer look. Sunset Orange and Hockenheim Silver available exclusively on the M2C, and Mineral Grey is not available on the M2C. Blackline tail-lights are preferred by some.

Excellent post!
Thanks for this concise list.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
///M TOWN16539.00
      12-09-2022, 02:01 PM   #100
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Driving them both back to back is definitely recommended. I did that twice before I bought mine, and both times much preferred the OG.

To each their own, but what I find funny is how butthurt OG owners are around here.
You sound like an absolute tool in this entire thread. Noone was butt hurt about anything homie, the initial comments were merely pointing out some of the aesthetic and audible differences that are factual and you went right to M-lite and butt hurt for the OGs. Any human in their right mind would choose the M2C everytime if all variables were constant from the OG.

The patrons here we're simply answering the question that was asked because theyre wise tidbits that hell benefit from when choosing between the N and the S.

Trolls gon be trolls though.
Appreciate 3
///MPhatic13862.50
jdubm2c169.00
CamaRai27.00
      12-09-2022, 02:22 PM   #101
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Driving them both back to back is definitely recommended. I did that twice before I bought mine, and both times much preferred the OG.

To each their own, but what I find funny is how butthurt OG owners are around here.
You sound like an absolute tool in this entire thread. Noone was butt hurt about anything homie, the initial comments were merely pointing out some of the aesthetic and audible differences that are factual and you went right to M-lite and butt hurt for the OGs. Any human in their right mind would choose the M2C everytime if all variables were constant from the OG.

The patrons here we're simply answering the question that was asked because theyre wise tidbits that hell benefit from when choosing between the N and the S.

Trolls gon be trolls though.
Troll is an understatement

Ignore fits him perfectly
      12-09-2022, 04:33 PM   #102
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
You sound like an absolute tool in this entire thread.
You could have left off the “in this thread” part.

Quote:
That explains a lot, lol. You've come from a Slowbaru.... Evo man here--
Cool dude alert 🚨. Watch out everybody.
Appreciate 2
F87source7251.50
///MPhatic13862.50
      12-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #103
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
And you did what you felt was right. You don't need to explain it to me. This thread, as I remember is not about fiscal responsibility, or why do I need bigger brakes when smaller ones stop the car too, it was about N55 vs S55 which tells me the OP isn't looking to leave the car stock, in which case there is no comparison. Then the N55 apologists came in to defend their purchase and talk about the sound, because that's the only straw left to hold onto... Anyway, happy you're happy with the choice you made and enjoy the car.
Theres a lot of people who drive their cars on paper

But we don't drive our cars on paper do we? Sure the figures look better for the M2C on the spec sheet, but that's all they are in the end, specs

The drive and raw experience in the OG is actually more fun than the M2C!
Appreciate 3
F87source7251.50
///MPhatic13862.50
///M TOWN16539.00
      12-09-2022, 05:16 PM   #104
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
You just summed this guy up to a TEE. It was also abundantly clear when he immediately judged the evo being superior to all sti's despite clearly never owning the new generations of STI's which removed all the deficits the early model year cars had to the evo's.

It's also why the mx5 and s2000 are such good cars, despite looking like crap on paper.
///M TOWN16539.00
      12-10-2022, 04:56 AM   #105
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
You just summed this guy up to a TEE. It was also abundantly clear when he immediately judged the evo being superior to all sti's despite clearly never owning the new generations of STI's which removed all the deficits the early model year cars had to the evo's.

It's also why the mx5 and s2000 are such good cars, despite looking like crap on paper.
Yeah, you got me figured out alright. Here are my old AP1 and AP2. And by the way, the STI never handled as well as the Evo. It was always a piece of shit, and it will always be.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 04:57 AM   #106
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post

But we don't drive our cars on paper do we? Sure the figures look better for the M2C on the spec sheet, but that's all they are in the end, specs

The drive and raw experience in the OG is actually more fun than the M2C!
Raw? Ok chief, you're beyond help, but you are allowed to believe whatever you want.

Last edited by captain slowly; 12-10-2022 at 05:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 05:48 AM   #107
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
the STI never handled as well as the Evo. It was always a piece of shit, and it will always be.
Your opinion means nothing if you've never owned both. You also have no definitive data to make that statement an absolute. I agree the 2008-2014 sti's had nothing on the evo x, before 2008 it was close but that 08-14 GR chassis was not really good at all. But after 2015 it was game over for the evo, both because it was discontinued and because subaru stepped up their game immensely.

Now onto the data:

1) autoblog's testing numbers (on the pre 2015 sti) proves you completely wrong: https://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/05/...uba-lap-times/

2) The type RA, and s207 sti's that came out later on improved on the sti so much that the evo x and all of its predecessors could never keep up. These stis had reinforced engines, actual downforce producing aero, 6 pot brakes, intercooler water sprayers, carbon roofs and hoods, and majorly stiffened chassis's (Even over the stock 2015+ cars which were already stiffened).

This all combined to advance the sti so far beyond the evo, that your argument is moot. This is also proven by the track data as well.

So if you think an evo from any prior generation can beat an sti that has 1 extra generation of development on top of it, then that just shows your mentality and your inability to accept the truth in the face of actual data. It shows you are only here to stir the pot, and have no intent of adding any meaning to the thread.
      12-10-2022, 08:44 AM   #108
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Your opinion means nothing if you've never owned both. You also have no definitive data to make that statement an absolute. I agree the 2008-2014 sti's had nothing on the evo x, before 2008 it was close but that 08-14 GR chassis was not really good at all. But after 2015 it was game over for the evo, both because it was discontinued and because subaru stepped up their game immensely.

Now onto the data:

1) autoblog's testing numbers (on the pre 2015 sti) proves you completely wrong: https://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/05/...uba-lap-times/

2) The type RA, and s207 sti's that came out later on improved on the sti so much that the evo x and all of its predecessors could never keep up. These stis had reinforced engines, actual downforce producing aero, 6 pot brakes, intercooler water sprayers, carbon roofs and hoods, and majorly stiffened chassis's (Even over the stock 2015+ cars which were already stiffened).

This all combined to advance the sti so far beyond the evo, that your argument is moot. This is also proven by the track data as well.

So if you think an evo from any prior generation can beat an sti that has 1 extra generation of development on top of it, then that just shows your mentality and your inability to accept the truth in the face of actual data. It shows you are only here to stir the pot, and have no intent of adding any meaning to the thread.
Now who's magazine racing? Go on, keep jumping to conclusions about why I'm here and what I have to add to this thread and community. It's going really well for you so far
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 02:09 PM   #109
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Now who's magazine racing? Go on, keep jumping to conclusions about why I'm here and what I have to add to this thread and community. It's going really well for you so far
I don't think you understand how data analysis works...

You're trying to draw conclusions via a spec sheet, I'm actually showing solid results.

It's apparent what you're adding to the community, you've literally been ignored by multiple users so far.
Appreciate 2
DanG10660.50
///MPhatic13862.50
      12-10-2022, 04:23 PM   #110
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
I don't think you understand how data analysis works...

You're trying to draw conclusions via a spec sheet, I'm actually showing solid results.

It's apparent what you're adding to the community, you've literally been ignored by multiple users so far.
Yeah, I'm really worried about who has ignored me
Appreciate 0