BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Blown Engine/Piston (M2 modded with catted DP & BM3 tune) - Suggestions ?

05-23-2019, 06:43 PM   #133
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Car was likely knocking - broken piston is often a result of detonation.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #134
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Is this car a 6MT or DCT?

When it let go, was the car in a taller gear, the rpms below 4,000rpm, and the throttle mashed?

I have to wonder if the car had a super knock event and due to the increased power/boost and heat of these flash tunes, the DME safeguards simply can't keep up in a track situation, especially if you're not keeping the rpms high and the motor out of a high load situation.
      05-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #135
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Just wondering, how old is "old oil"? I've been to the track a few times, but it never seems to affect the estimated oil change service frequency. For example, I'll have 6k to go before my next oil change, go to HDPE, and afterwards the number will still be around 6k. My assumption is that the need-based algorithm is already taking into account on how the engine is being used (that's the whole point of it right?).
Main ingredient in that calculation is mileage. But some algorithms take temperature and RPM integral into account. Based on my experience and Blackstone Labs oil analysis a good synthetic oil can easily do 8000 miles and 4 track days.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 11:05 AM   #136
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Things have moved on then - on my e46 just topping up the oil with fresh results in the service indicator upping the mileage...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #137
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Main ingredient in that calculation is mileage. But some algorithms take temperature and RPM integral into account. Based on my experience and Blackstone Labs oil analysis a good synthetic oil can easily do 8000 miles and 4 track days.
Good to know - I usually change every 10k (on the clock, even if the estimation has 1-2k left) and my service advisor has always let me. I only track 1-2 times a year. I feel that perhaps 10k is a bit long (might start doing 5k if track a lot more), but like you said, synthetics are really good these days.

Last edited by eeyang92; 05-28-2019 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 01:30 PM   #138
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Good to know - I usually change every 10k (on the clock, even if the estimation has 1-2k left) and my service advisor has always let me. I only track 1-2 times a year. I feel that perhaps 10k is a bit long (might start doing 5k if track a lot more), but like you said, synthetics are really good these days.
It may be unnecessary but personally I change oil very very often. Synthetics are great but in my mind its not just the oil and its ability to withstand a certain mileage, its what is in the oil simply from operating that worries me after several thousand miles or a track day. Definitely recommend to cut that factory interval in half (change every 5k) and either just before or after each track day. Oil and a filter is cheap!
      05-29-2019, 01:50 PM   #139
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONDEMAND View Post
It may be unnecessary but personally I change oil very very often. Synthetics are great but in my mind its not just the oil and its ability to withstand a certain mileage, its what is in the oil simply from operating that worries me after several thousand miles or a track day. Definitely recommend to cut that factory interval in half (change every 5k) and either just before or after each track day. Oil and a filter is cheap!
Wooaah! 5k? Who knows what could happen to that stuff while sat in the sump?

Fully synthetic means it ages really well, and it doesn't break down if you roast it on a hot day at the track.

It is designed to collect wear and combustion products and carry them back to the sump so that the oil filter can remove them.

Change the filter more often if you're worried.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #140
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Separately, noting the number of threads highlighting the quality or lack thereof of US pump gas (sulphur content, AKI rating), is this fixation with engine oil turning to wax and/or paraffin in a matter of days followed by the cam lobes/followers melting indicative of the 'oil' that used to be available in the US? The climate variations across a continent will mean the one size does not fit all, but still...

Last edited by M Fifty; 08-28-2019 at 03:22 AM.. Reason: spool Chucker pro bells
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 11:36 PM   #141
babym2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 6MT

this is why I never tune any of my cars, very dangerous for engine
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2019, 01:56 AM   #142
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by babym2 View Post
this is why I never tune any of my cars, very dangerous for engine
Tuning is not all that bad if you have actually have a motor with a lot of headroom left to unleashed its suppressed power, that's basically the idea.

However, you can't get blood from a stone and same principle applies to the N55 in the M2, which is already tapped out to edge of its efficiency and with the little safety margin BMW left back in the motor, folks are attempting to exploit it with flash tunes, which would eventually lead to situations like this.

Not just the M2, a couple of folks on the M235i section reported blowing their motor and turbo as a result of high-output tuning.

If you really a tunable M2, the obvious option is a M2C which has the more flexible S55 motor.

http://mywikimotors.com/n55b30/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #143
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
BMW head of M division (fired now) said the same exact thing when they released the M2 Competition, even the engineers that designed the gauges in the iDrive set it to only go up to 400hp max as a omen.
I had thought the S55 in the M2C and M3/M4 were the same?

Do you have more information about how the S55 in the M2C is maxed at 400 HP but can do more in the M3/M4?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #144
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
BMW head of M division (fired now) said the same exact thing when they released the M2 Competition, even the engineers that designed the gauges in the iDrive set it to only go up to 400hp max as a omen.

Do you have more information about how the S55 in the M2C is maxed at 400 HP but can do more in the M3/M4?
You got it in reverse, I was referring to the N55 that's capped at 400hp, it was only confirmed in an interview, at the time of the M2C release.

The S55 in any vehicle are all the same and is capable of way more than 400hp, as oppose to the N55. Not sure of what exactly the soft max on that motor is but I would guess somewhere around 500hp or so..
Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      05-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #145
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You got it in reverse, I was referring to the N55 that's capped at 400hp, it was only confirmed in an interview, at the time of the M2C release.

The S55 in any vehicle are all the same and is capable of way more than 400hp, as oppose to the N55. Not sure of what exactly the soft max on that motor is but I would guess somewhere around 500hp or so..
One more question. 400 HP max or max safe with some headroom. Assuming former and why BMW stopped at 365 HP.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #146
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

One more question. 400 HP max or max safe with some headroom. Assuming former and why BMW stopped at 365 HP.
I assume they left a little safety margin within the motor to preserve its efficiency.

BMW has historically known to underrated their turbo motors, especially M variants but the N55 was never really intended to be an official M motor, it's a souped-up N55 with S55 pistons and oil pump, everything else is a standard fare.

Pages 23 - 34 below has more details:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfo...l-training.pdf
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      05-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #147
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

I thought about tuning, but seeing how much work is required to extract such small gains, I don't know if it's worth the risk. Maybe upgraded intake, intercooler and DP would be the most I would do since it isn't increasing the stress (much) on the engine.

To be honest, if I were to tune, I may just buy a used 2019 (2020?) supra in a few years... the B58 seems like an extremely promising platform for tuning. And it should be more "reliable" because Toyota literally annoyed BMW by inspecting/testing each component in the engine so thoroughly. Plus the iDrive will be familiar lmao.

EDIT:

Or maybe the next-gen M3/M2 if the Pure model doesn't feel too neutered and the S58 doesn't sound terrible (it'll probably sound similar to the S55 though). The S58 should be an amazing platform if the B58 is already that good.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #148
acl26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

After a long few months I finally got the car back running. Wanted to rebuild with forged pistons but the companies either wanted too much or was too sketchy and I was afraid of bad fitment/complications. Initially ordered from Keystone Auto but they got the M240i and M2 motor mixed up which wasted me a bunch of time sending it back. Lesson learned: to always ask for VIN to double check. Ended up with an option Omasou brought up on EBay. Car-part.com was also a useful search engine for finding options as well but some didn't ship to where I needed. Did try to bring it back to dealership for warranty, they ultimately couldn't figure out the reason and simply denied the warranty due to mods.

***They figured it out from tracing my account on bimmerpost, so a word of warning to others in the future to be careful of what you post here***

My guess at the end of all this is that BM3 tune did not have a lot of head room and when coupled with really sticky tires it lead to increase in high load low RPM phenomenon that lead to super knocking.

GG
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #149
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acl26 View Post
After a long few months I finally got the car back running. Wanted to rebuild with forged pistons but the companies either wanted too much or was too sketchy and I was afraid of bad fitment/complications. Initially ordered from Keystone Auto but they got the M240i and M2 motor mixed up which wasted me a bunch of time sending it back. Lesson learned: to always ask for VIN to double check. Ended up with an option Omasou brought up on EBay. Car-part.com was also a useful search engine for finding options as well but some didn't ship to where I needed. Did try to bring it back to dealership for warranty, they ultimately couldn't figure out the reason and simply denied the warranty due to mods.

***They figured it out from tracing my account on bimmerpost, so a word of warning to others in the future to be careful of what you post here***

My guess at the end of all this is that BM3 tune did not have a lot of head room and when coupled with really sticky tires it lead to increase in high load low RPM phenomenon that lead to super knocking.

GG
Glad you got it fixed. Do you know how they connected your bimmerpost account to your car? Thx in adv
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #150
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden View Post
Glad you got it fixed. Do you know how they connected your bimmerpost account to your car? Thx in adv
probably not that many people with M2's with blown engines and very specific diagnosis in his first post
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 05:26 PM   #151
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Just discovered this thread and read every post on it. What i don't understand is why people get so hostile bashing the OP about what he did wrong and how ignorant he is. He simply made a mistake and came asking for help. No need to bash on him as he is already not feeling well.

Regardless of how smart some of you are, the fact is we ALL learned something from his mistake. Even the "pros" that's been posting on here about their knowledge of this stuff has learned something new. I for sure did. I was full on committed to tuning. I'm not that knowledgeable about this stuff i'll be frank. I would have done exactly what OP has done in terms of mods and how he approached this whole thing about his track duties. Until this thread I thought a nice conservative tune with cooling mods and DP would have been sufficient. Now i have this plethora of knowledge that will protect my car and my investment. All thanks to this thread! So why are we being so hostile?!

OP, thanks for all of this. I'm sorry you had to go thru this. But because of your mistake I learned something valuable. I'm sure a lot of other people did as well. I'm glad you're back up and running and hope you enjoy your car in the future with what you've learned from this. In hindsight this experience will be valuable later down the road when you buy much more expensive and fast cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #152
acl26
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden View Post
likely by association on previous posts and location or they pay to get access to personal information from the forum servers. I am assuming they would it would be more than just speculations from posts if they are willing to use it directly to deny claims.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 06:19 PM   #153
acl26
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Haiii View Post
Just discovered this thread and read every post on it. What i don't understand is why people get so hostile bashing the OP about what he did wrong and how ignorant he is. He simply made a mistake and came asking for help. No need to bash on him as he is already not feeling well.

Regardless of how smart some of you are, the fact is we ALL learned something from his mistake. Even the "pros" that's been posting on here about their knowledge of this stuff has learned something new. I for sure did. I was full on committed to tuning. I'm not that knowledgeable about this stuff i'll be frank. I would have done exactly what OP has done in terms of mods and how he approached this whole thing about his track duties. Until this thread I thought a nice conservative tune with cooling mods and DP would have been sufficient. Now i have this plethora of knowledge that will protect my car and my investment. All thanks to this thread! So why are we being so hostile?!

OP, thanks for all of this. I'm sorry you had to go thru this. But because of your mistake I learned something valuable. I'm sure a lot of other people did as well. I'm glad you're back up and running and hope you enjoy your car in the future with what you've learned from this. In hindsight this experience will be valuable later down the road when you buy much more expensive and fast cars.
Yup, definitely a big mistake to have had too confidence in the motor and parts/tune. Will need to look into WMI and better FMIC before heading back out to track again for sure.

Also for the angry people on the internet part... lol

It's the internet, people have to look for validation for there own choices or opinions one way or another, can't blame them. Logic is not always a requirement here. No m2 owner wants to believe that a mild build/tune could push the car to run so poorly but here we are.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #154
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

I’m running similar mods, and now sticking with very high octane overkill for my 91 tune.
Appreciate 0