BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Latest ISTEP flashed.. much improved

11-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #133
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan;2237591ƒ

Again, first and foremost, show me a shred of proof that isn't speculation without any evidence whatsoever from one forum user.

We aren't talking about any generic BMW. We aren't talking about N54s. We are talking about the N55. Making over 40hp over its previous iterations with only minor changes to internals and with the same air to air cooled system. I simply do not believe this motor would receive any major boost changes through factory updates. Why wouldn't they do this from the factory? There's plenty of N55 field data.

I mean you should probably tell Dinan they have it all wrong and that the stock turbo clearly has a lot more to give. Because according to them it's nearly tapped out, stock, which is why their Stage 1 tune doesn't add much power.
"Nearly tapped out"' or tapped out ?
A Dinah tune -Doesn't add "much" or doesn't add ANY? lol

Maybe you should take a moment and decide, and then make your argument :

Multiple times you've stated that BMW didn't leave any room on the table and then you immediately upend your own argument by admitting that additional performance CAN be gleaned from the N55B30TO.

You can ask for proof and I can't give it to you, because I don't work for BMW. As I stated I bet even BMW announcing it you will have your doubts.

However , I have been able to deduce more than a few things about BMW, enough to certainly understand and wait for a 1M, enough to understand and even declare the way the M2 has been marketed as a loss leader , enough to understand the way that BMW markets products via development and improvement, which Has led me to wait for an M2 further progress!! I'm also convinced that I'll be able to pick up an an M2 CSL 6MT in 2019.. We shall see if I'm right in that regard as well.

If you don't understand the brilliance of what I explained above, You on the other hand, can continue to have your doubts - that's all you've got to cling to!

You throw out a lot of assumptions about what I think which doesn't play well. If BMW were to communicate a ecu retuning strategy this would be huge news for not only prospective owners but also resale value as dealer applied software could actually improve performance. I see no downside to this further supporting that istep updates do not affect performance.

In the end I am done discussing the speculation of one single members experience and your subjective interpretation of that. I'll wait for literally any evidence whatsoever.
      11-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #134
///M²
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdon_ View Post
Updated to F020-17-07-507

I can't comment too much about performance improvements, but I immediately noticed that the reverse camera and sensor beeping now immediately shuts off when pulling it out of reverse (manual in my case). Used to stay on and beep forever unless I moved the car forward or shut off the engine. So, that annoyance is sorted at least.

Exhaust sounds, crackles, and pops, happen just a bit differently than I'm used to. Not better or worse really. Sport+ seems a tad louder, more like MDM (traction) mode. This may all change as the car adapts.

I'm DINAN P2, so I may not fully notice any supposed performance improvements as it's already quite tuned.

Lastly, Apple CarPlay is more responsive on input from the iDrive controller wheel. I used to occasionally have lag and then it would scroll all at once to catch up.

I'll update if i notice more changes or refinements.

Huge thanks to shawnsheridan and cookiesowns for help along the way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
Really? This might be worth the flash for this alone.
Quote:
it absolutely is. Omg.
We should complain to the dealer about the beeping and all get free ISTEP updates.
BAN_M2C4178.00
      11-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #135
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M² View Post
Quote:

I can't comment too much about performance improvements, but I immediately noticed that the reverse camera and sensor beeping now immediately shuts off when pulling it out of reverse (manual in my case). Used to stay on and beep forever unless I moved the car forward or shut off the engine. So, that annoyance is sorted at least.

Exhaust sounds, crackles, and pops, happen just a bit differently than I'm used to. Not better or worse really. Sport+ seems a tad louder, more like MDM (traction) mode. This may all change as the car adapts.

I'm DINAN P2, so I may not fully notice any supposed performance improvements as it's already quite tuned.

Lastly, Apple CarPlay is more responsive on input from the iDrive controller wheel. I used to occasionally have lag and then it would scroll all at once to catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
Really? This might be worth the flash for this alone.
Quote:
it absolutely is. Omg.
We should complain to the dealer about the beeping and all get free ISTEP updates.
I am at an event at the dealer tomorrow and will ask about it while there.
///M²281.00
      11-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #136
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

L17193I flashed on pre lci 6mt

Collected my 6mt pre lci. Now with L17193I flashed.

Idrive and CarPlay much better.
Reverse camera when switching back to 1st gear immediately switches off. No more annoying beeps.

Car in comfort mode is lot more responsive. Use to have an annoying 1st to 2nd gear jolt. No longer occurs.

Terms of exhaust noise... I think it has toned down a bit. I have the mpe & fabspeed dp, on track mode it's not as burbly as before...
      11-09-2017, 04:23 AM   #137
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

This might be a stupid question, i have an early 17' one of the last PRE LCI's

the weather app in my car has stopped working so they are suggesting a reset or an update but only to the idrive not to the engine so i was told it won't affect the sound of the exhaust only the sound of the interior speakers and idrive.

my car is loud af with M performance exhaust i get all sorts of pops and bangs and crackles, so i am scared that i will lose all this if i update this?
can anyone clarify if the Idrive update affects the engine and exhaust? because i was told you have to do a seperate engine update for this to affect the noise of the car which i really really really don't want.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #138
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post

the weather app in my car has stopped working so they are suggesting a reset or an update but only to the idrive not to the engine so i was told it won't affect the sound of the exhaust only the sound of the interior speakers and idrive.

my car is loud af with M performance exhaust i get all sorts of pops and bangs and crackles, so i am scared that i will lose all this if i update this?
can anyone clarify if the Idrive update affects the engine and exhaust? because i was told you have to do a seperate engine update for this to affect the noise of the car which i really really really don't want.
I haven't noticed any changes other than the weather app working again.

Worth doing if you can get it done free but i don't see what all the hype is about, in my experience it's the exact same car. No noise or performance changes. It's identical.

Also, to everyone complaining about the PDC beeping, just know that there are multiple solutions to this problem already, neither of which require you to leave your car overnight at the dealer:

http://www.bimmercodeapp.com/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/61319252912/

Appreciate 7
NO_USER_537.50
///M²281.00
V.Smurf162.00
BAN_M2C4178.00
Bosozoku693.50
Poochie9103.00
      11-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #139
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:

Thanks for this. As a Dinan P2 6MT guy myself, I've been following this thread with interest. Not sure how an ISTEP update that actually did, if it does, adjust boost or timing parameters would affect performance on a P2 set-up. If you have any further experience to share as you drive your updated car, please let us know...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 12:40 AM   #140
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post

stefan may want to have you direct some questions to your dealer regarding if there is an idrive update vs engine update.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 07:56 PM   #141
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
stefan may want to have you direct some questions to your dealer regarding if there is an idrive update vs engine update.
Oh I suspect he's good to go.
      11-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #142
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

What does the bimmercode solution do, completely turn off PDC? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
I haven't noticed any changes other than the weather app working again.

Worth doing if you can get it done free but i don't see what all the hype is about, in my experience it's the exact same car. No noise or performance changes. It's identical.

Also, to everyone complaining about the PDC beeping, just know that there are multiple solutions to this problem already, neither of which require you to leave your car overnight at the dealer:

http://www.bimmercodeapp.com/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/61319252912/

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #143
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6ax View Post
What does the bimmercode solution do, completely turn off PDC? Thanks.
It removes the requirement that your car move forward for PDC to stop beeping at you. If you set it to not active it will automatically turn off and stop beeping when you leave reverse.
Appreciate 4
NO_USER_537.50
ried791.50
BAN_M2C4178.00
      11-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #144
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It removes the requirement that your car move forward for PDC to stop beeping at you. If you set it to not active it will automatically turn off and stop beeping when you leave reverse.
OH! That is awesome, gonna code it now lol thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #145
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Hi andrewc89,
Quote:
Also, to everyone complaining about the PDC beeping, just know that there are multiple solutions to this problem already, neither of which require you to leave your car overnight at the dealer
Good summary of all the options - thank you (and others) for the great information on this.

I'd already purchased both the Bimmercode app, and the switch to manually deactivate the beeping ... but as my car is an LCI with newer firmware, BMW have changed the behaviour (as others have documented). This new behaviour - halting the reverse camera view when the car is taken out of reverse - doesn't suit me: I would rather the camera stay on ... or at least be controllable view the switch up to a certain speed (say 5mph/kmh). This is so I can pull forward into a parking spot and see when the back-end correctly in etc.

So the PDC Shutdown Distance Threshold seems to indicate that I can now reinstate this behaviour (e.g. set it to any particular distance) and then control the camera on/off via the switch...? Have you used both (the switch and Bimmercode) on the later car firmware to see what it does..?

Cheers,

Last edited by V.Smurf; 11-11-2017 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #146
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Hi andrewc89,

Have you used both (the switch and Bimmercode) on the later car firmware to see what it does..?

Cheers,
The switch still works fine with the newest ISTEP.
I have not touched the PDC the setting on bimmercode as i like it as is (shutting off when taken out of reverse).
Appreciate 2
V.Smurf162.00
      11-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #147
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Continuing on from my previous post...

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1407645

I've flashed the car yet once again to the latest ISTEP. Which should be v62.4 psdz. Which is ISTEP: F020-17-07-505, F020-17-07-507 is out which I may acquire..

Few modules were flashed, two of note were the DME and NBT.

iDrive & CarPlay is much faster. 0 bluetooth issues at all and it works basically always. I haven't flashed ID6 just yet but I suspect it'll work just as well.

Now for the good part.. for those that have the 6MT, you might notice the car has a bit of "lag" in between shifts at high RPM, as if the car is pulling back boost before you get shoved. You also get the "farts" on every shift..

Well.. thats now gone, the antilog is a bit more aggressive so you'll get a later "fart" if you don't shift fast enough. But if you do no fart and just instant power between gears.

Pops & bangs are more consistent and just as loud. Overall it feels like a much more refined setup over 61.4

As always if you're in the OC area I'd be more than happy to flash this for you + coding.
Location?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 10:26 PM   #148
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Coded this, and when I leave reverse it still beeps. Double checked to see if it coded and it did. 17 M2, 6MT...is yours manual too? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 11:24 PM   #149
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6ax View Post
Coded this, and when I leave reverse it still beeps. Double checked to see if it coded and it did. 17 M2, 6MT...is yours manual too? Thanks.
Yeah mines 6MT as well. That's odd it didn't work. I could have sworn that was the setting i changed to get it to stop beeping. This was like a year ago so it's possible i had to change something in expert mode that i'm forgetting about. i'll have to play with it and figure it out again. Sorry for getting your hopes up.
Appreciate 2
BAN_M2C4178.00
      11-11-2017, 11:29 PM   #150
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Thanks again andrewc89,
Quote:
The switch still works fine with the newest ISTEP.
I have not touched the PDC the setting on bimmercode as i like it as is (shutting off when taken out of reverse).
Sorry for the further question(s), but if the car shuts off your PDC when you take it out of reverse, what happens when you (manually) turn on the PDC via the switch...?

Does it:
  1. Immediately cancel the PDC again..?
  2. Never cancel the PDC (so you have to turn it off again)..?
  3. Turn off the PDC when you reach a certain speed (if so, any idea what speed)...?
  4. Some other behaviour I've not guessed at...?

I've shot through a few of the questions to the Bimmercode folks, but would you mind sharing the path/breadcrumb as to where the distance options you displayed sit within Bimmercode..?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 11:37 PM   #151
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah mines 6MT as well. That's odd it didn't work. I could have sworn that was the setting i changed to get it to stop beeping. This was like a year ago so it's possible i had to change something in expert mode that i'm forgetting about. i'll have to play with it and figure it out again. Sorry for getting your hopes up.
Ah I see all good, please let us know if/when you figure it out! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 11:50 PM   #152
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks again andrewc89,

Sorry for the further question(s), but if the car shuts off your PDC when you take it out of reverse, what happens when you (manually) turn on the PDC via the switch...?

Does it:
  1. Immediately cancel the PDC again..?
  2. Never cancel the PDC (so you have to turn it off again)..?
  3. Turn off the PDC when you reach a certain speed (if so, any idea what speed)...?
  4. Some other behaviour I've not guessed at...?
My guess would be that it will shut off again when you put the car into 1st gear, either immediately or after a certain distance/speed threshold. I've never tried it so i'm not sure.

Quote:
would you mind sharing the path/breadcrumb as to where the distance options you displayed sit within Bimmercode..?
PDC settings are in the rear electronic module (REM_01)

It appears as though my last post with the screen shot of the displayed distance options didn't work for someone. It's possible i was mistaken that this was the setting that needed to be changed.

There are more PDC settings if you hit expert mode and go down to 3200-3205 but I would email the developer and ask for more info before you start adjusting anything in there.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 11-11-2017 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2017, 03:01 AM   #153
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Can anyone post their ISTEP versions after getting their dealer flash? I’m about to flash F020-17-11-520 v3.63.0 PSDZ. I was on v61.4 before which wasn’t as refined and then I updated to v62.4 which had the best refinement and retained the burbles. V62.5 did not have any noticeable changes other than FEM_GW and ASD?

V63.0 flashes the DME again and is a relatively recent PSDZ

Turns out DME wasn’t flashed. Just CAF/NCD changes flashed via cdDeploy
Soooooo

Can’t tell this time what the differences are. Maybe just changes for 2018 LCI cars

Last edited by cookiesowns; 11-30-2017 at 01:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 05:25 PM   #154
grinch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Can anyone post their ISTEP versions after getting their dealer flash? I’m about to flash F020-17-11-520 v3.63.0 PSDZ. I was on v61.4 before which wasn’t as refined and then I updated to v62.4 which had the best refinement and retained the burbles. V62.5 did not have any noticeable changes other than FEM_GW and ASD?

V63.0 flashes the DME again and is a relatively recent PSDZ
How to know it. I went to my bmw dealer to get the lastest version in September
Appreciate 0