BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Drifting and drive mode / traction control setting

02-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Drifting and drive mode / traction control setting

We’ve all seen the road test videos where the M2 is being drifted around corners with ease. With a manual shift, assuming the drive mode is set at Sport Plus, should the traction control be turned completely off? Will the M2 drift with the traction control left on?

Some background…. I drive my (manual shift) M2 in Sport Plus with traction control turned off all the time because I can’t stand the automatic rev matching and I like to double clutch when downshifting. I’ve accidentally ‘drifted’ my car twice going around corners, just a little oversteer drift, no harm done. But frankly it did scare me just a little because I wasn’t expecting it. I know I should have expected it with the traction control turned off but I’m still getting used to the car. I plan to do some track time in my car this coming summer and I’m wondering how I should have my drive mode and traction control set? I assume the safest setting is with traction control turned on, but will the car drift if TC is on? I don’t want the dorky auto-rev-matcher taking over, but I don’t want to do donuts on the track either.

Also, at what mileage do folks think it is totally safe for… vigorous driving such as one would do at the track. I don’t want to unnecessarily stress the drive train until things are properly broken in. In other words, assume your M2 is your dream car and you plan to keep it forever. When (mileage) is it safe to take it to the track.

Any thoughts from driving instructors would be especially welcome.
      02-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
Leduardol
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
We’ve all seen the road test videos where the M2 is being drifted around corners with ease. With a manual shift, assuming the drive mode is set at Sport Plus, should the traction control be turned completely off? Will the M2 drift with the traction control left on?

Some background…. I drive my (manual shift) M2 in Sport Plus with traction control turned off all the time because I can’t stand the automatic rev matching and I like to double clutch when downshifting. I’ve accidentally ‘drifted’ my car twice going around corners, just a little oversteer drift, no harm done. But frankly it did scare me just a little because I wasn’t expecting it. I know I should have expected it with the traction control turned off but I’m still getting used to the car. I plan to do some track time in my car this coming summer and I’m wondering how I should have my drive mode and traction control set? I assume the safest setting is with traction control turned on, but will the car drift if TC is on? I don’t want the dorky auto-rev-matcher taking over, but I don’t want to do donuts on the track either.

Also, at what mileage do folks think it is totally safe for… vigorous driving such as one would do at the track. I don’t want to unnecessarily stress the drive train until things are properly broken in. In other words, assume your M2 is your dream car and you plan to keep it forever. When (mileage) is it safe to take it to the track.

Any thoughts from driving instructors would be especially welcome.
It seems like you are new to the track in which case you should NOT disable traction control. Keep it in Sport mode. Rev-matching will be the last of your worries in the track. Most people with track experience use Sports+, since it does allow for some slip, but will still help if you are completely going to lose control.

In the videos you mentioned, they are likely in "DSC Off" mode which turns off everything and will allow for full unmeasured drifting. You want to use this one if you are autocrossing.

As far as mileage goes, take your car for the break-in service @ around 1200 miles before tracking it.

There are other threads here that provide info on Track setups, for your first time you don't really need to do anything to the car. If you are going to continue tracking it, then you should consider brake fluid and brake pads. Most HPDE organizations have instructors and beginner accommodations; leverage those!
Appreciate 0