BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Sunroof - how much head room am I loosing if I select the Sunroof?

06-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
Hossel19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Sunroof - how much head room am I loosing if I select the Sunroof?

Tried finding this information without success.
Now that 2017 model can be ordered with a sunroof in Canada, i am wondering how much headroom would I lose if I do so? I am yet to see any specs with or without.

Anyone knows?

Trying to figure out if I will have enough headroom to wear a helmet.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossel19 View Post
Now that 2017 model can be ordered with a sunroof in Canada, i am wondering how much headroom would I lose if I do so? I am yet to see any specs with or without.

Anyone knows?

I'm 6 ft and was lent an M2 with sunroof on a track. I had to wear a helmet and found that the very top of it brushed slightly against the sunroof. This was easily fixed by reclining the back of the seat slightly to my normal driving position (laid back and arms outstretched) compared to that of the previous driver. I suppose much depends on the type of helmet....
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2016, 12:28 AM   #3
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossel19 View Post

Anyone knows?

About 2".

Just sit in an M235i with sunroof and see if you have 2" of head room. You really don't want to bump your head or have to alter your seating position while driving. Also make sure you relax and sit comfortably, rather than squeezing down to make more room.

It all depends on your torso length and it doesn't make a difference if someone else fits fine.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
Hossel19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
I'm 6 ft and was lent an M2 with sunroof on a track. I had to wear a helmet and found that the very top of it brushed slightly against the sunroof. This was easily fixed by reclining the back of the seat slightly to my normal driving position (laid back and arms outstretched) compared to that of the previous driver. I suppose much depends on the type of helmet....
Thank you Corinne. I am 6 ft as well but rather not to alter my driving position on the track.
I thought helmets didn't vary much in size, I guess I will need to check helmet specs as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 07:54 AM   #5
Hossel19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
About 2".

Just sit in an M235i with sunroof and see if you have 2" of head room. You really don't want to bump your head or have to alter your seating position while driving. Also make sure you relax and sit comfortably, rather than squeezing down to make more room.

It all depends on your torso length and it doesn't make a difference if someone else fits fine.
Thanks 3tekcorps, makes lots of sense.
It will probably look weird but before deciding on selecting this option I will bring my helmet to the dealer and try sitting in an M235...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
I had exactly this problem (helmet is a RaceQuip SportMod). I like to sit upright in the car and I'm 6ft 3. I ended up having to uncomfortably wedge my head off to the side between the sunroof cassette and door. Was not comfortable and I probably would have died instantly in a crash, but still one of the best drives of my life. Personally I haven't ordered a sunroof for this reason. I'd suggest you sit in an M235i with electric seats and a sunroof with a helmet on and find out if it's ok for you.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #7
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Crap! Now I need to buy a Canadian spec car. BMW NA, please please please can we have the sunroof option?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #8
Hossel19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Crap! Now I need to buy a Canadian spec car. BMW NA, please please please can we have the sunroof option?
My guess is the US market will have similar changes than the Canadian market for MY2017 however $$ will be lower.

For Canada 2017 changes are:
1- 2000$ mrsp increase
2- Sunroof option for $1500
3- extended telephony package including Apple Carplay for 750$
Appreciate 0