BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > What are your nervous tics or habits you'd like to break?

04-13-2020, 09:34 PM   #45
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Update on the nicotine/smoking situation: Just boxed everything I could find that contains nicotine and smoking related materials. Gonna throw it out tomorrow morning and see how long it takes for me to become very irritable
Appreciate 4
rebekahb3130.00
Rmtt8208.00
King Rudi13154.00
      04-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #46
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Update on the nicotine/smoking situation: Just boxed everything I could find that contains nicotine and smoking related materials. Gonna throw it out tomorrow morning and see how long it takes for me to become very irritable
It's a good time to be irritable with social distancing. Best of luck to you!
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #47
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
GREAT! Also a good thing that you're quarantined, can't be mean to anyone if you cant be around anyone. Smurt
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2020, 02:37 AM   #48
Bunnny
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 & 2002 330ci e46

Quote:
Take hot showers /baths if you can. It will help you sweat out the nicotine, and if its done 3 days in a row the cravings should be gone by then.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13154.00
xander_g989.50
      04-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #49
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Stay strong!!

Like any sucky situation, you can make it temporary as long as you focus on the end goal and make it to the finish line.
      04-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #50
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
if a pack of cigarettes d be $1 you still d try to quit smoking?
trying to understand if its health related or financial..
      04-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #51
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
if a pack of cigarettes d be $1 you still d try to quit smoking?
trying to understand if its health related or financial..
More health than financial - my dad quit when he was 35 after he went through an angiogram, lost my uncle (dad's older brother) from lung cancer at 48. Mom's side isn't amazing either with neither grandma nor grandpa seeing 60 (or even me) I can't say I've treated my body like a temple the first 22 years, either.

Financially it's been better. A pack of cigs were $9.81 when I was smoking a pack a day. Juul pods were $15-16 for a pack of 4 which would last 4-5 days, but after the FDA came down on them prices started increasing so I bought one of those refillable nic salt devices, and a $25 bottle of juice went 3-3.5 weeks. So at that point my nicotine was a fairly small amount of my monthly expense but it's still money spent that shouldn't be a necessity.
Appreciate 1
yco5724.50
      04-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #52
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnny View Post
Take hot showers /baths if you can. It will help you sweat out the nicotine, and if its done 3 days in a row the cravings should be gone by then.
my cravings lasted for months after i quit. obviously they werent constant, but every time i saw somebody smoking or vaping i instantly got a craving.

id say that if you really want to quit, you have to stay away from other people who smoke/vape for at least 6 months. the temptation will be there for much longer than just three days.
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #53
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8208.00
UncleWede17961.00
      04-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #54
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

I found an old white gold chain that I never wear and decided to use it as a key chain. I twirl it around my index finger incessantly. Lol. First one direction, then the other.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #55
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 evo

Biting my finger nails. Been doing it since I can remember. I had a good chance of stopping and didn’t do it for a few weeks and then everything came crashing down last few weeks and back at it. I hate it but I can’t stop
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #56
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Several comments about quitting smoking, one of the things I deal with professionally. Unfortunately, many of the misconceptions end up demoralizing people when they attempt a quit and do not succeed, and I'd hope to offset this some. Nicotine is arguably the most (or one of the most) addictive substances known; plus the smoking becomes a very ingrained habit - a double whammy for many. Don't beat yourself up for 'not having willpower' or for somehow being 'stupid enough to do it'. The idea that just stopping doing something is easy is a terrible flaw in our thinking. It is true that many just decide to quit and do so, and some just start a taper and work themselves off of it. But they aren't the majority, and nobody really knows how to get the next guy to that point. If your initial efforts aren't successful, consider finding a health psychologist to work with you - there is science to this that can point you to the best tactics - not easy, but easier.

Side notes: vaping devices are like the gold-standard addiction machines; the only way you could design a better vehicle for addiction would be if they came with a supermodel who urged you to use it more often. I would avoid these like the plague if you are not already an addicted smoker, and only use one as part of a very controlled quit process.

financial factoid from early 90's (so in '90s dollars), if this type of thing motivates you: If you made tobacco companies pay for all the health-related issues of smoking, then set the cost of a pack of cigarettes to amortize that cost, a pack would cost about $100. So on average, smokers (and their insurance companies) will spend $5/cigarette to treat the damage that is being done. Heart attacks, strokes, and cancer get pretty expensive - the up front pack price is chump change compared to the 'balloon payment'.
Appreciate 3
      04-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #57
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
I found an old white gold chain that I never wear and decided to use it as a key chain. I twirl it around my index finger incessantly. Lol. First one direction, then the other.
Former lifeguard by chance?
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      04-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #58
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Former lifeguard by chance?
LOOOL! Yes. In high school. I didn’t make the connection.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #59
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
LOOOL! Yes. In high school. I didn’t make the connection.
You're welcome. It's what I do.
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      04-14-2020, 10:26 PM   #60
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
My massive work energy. At home on a rainy day I can lay around and watch TV etc and not be too bothered. But once I am at work my leg is bouncing or I have a stress ball in my hand or therapy putty or stress toy and I chew gum all day to keep from gritting my teeth.

Not sure why I can shut it off at home, but at work I am just in go mode and always have been.

Oh - and loving shit food.
Shit....you just reminded me of my biggest hangup. I'm the same way....but all hours. I constantly have to be doing something or I feel like I'm not being productive.

I can't turn it off....and I don't sleep much.
This. My mind is always racing. Even when I'm busy doing something I'm thinking about other things. It's hard to wind down and sleep. The Doc said my migraines are basically my body's reaction to constantly going, as they cause me to shut down and rest.

Even now, it's almost 11:30pm here, and I'm on my phone looking up stuff I was thinking about earlier in the day and also scrolling through BP.

Caffeine intensifies this issue.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8208.00
King Rudi13154.00
      04-15-2020, 12:42 AM   #61
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

I have an extremely bad habit of picking my facial hair out, particularly when I’m deep in thought. There have been times when I look in the mirror and a whole side of my face has hair missing from it.

I have a pretty bad temper as well. Almost beat a fedex driver’s ass this weekend for starting shit. So yeah, I probably need to work on that lmao

I have poor sleeping habits, too. Usually get 4-5 hours a night.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 01:19 AM   #62
Danlnyc88
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp, 2017 Macan Turbo

Quit smoking cigarettes and weed. Every time I light up a cigarette I just keep thinking about how bad I want to quit. Flower just adds to the damage and doesn't even get me high anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 07:12 AM   #63
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
This. My mind is always racing. Even when I'm busy doing something I'm thinking about other things. It's hard to wind down and sleep. The Doc said my migraines are basically my body's reaction to constantly going, as they cause me to shut down and rest.

Even now, it's almost 11:30pm here, and I'm on my phone looking up stuff I was thinking about earlier in the day and also scrolling through BP.

Caffeine intensifies this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
I have an extremely bad habit of picking my facial hair out, particularly when I’m deep in thought. There have been times when I look in the mirror and a whole side of my face has hair missing from it.

I have a pretty bad temper as well. Almost beat a fedex driver’s ass this weekend for starting shit. So yeah, I probably need to work on that lmao

I have poor sleeping habits, too. Usually get 4-5 hours a night.
Be careful with this. I'm the same way. Typical type A personality. Go, go, go, nonstop and while I'm 100 mph on one project, I'm already plotting 2 days in advance. I'm starting to see health issues based off the stress I put myself through mentally and physically. Make sure you take care of yourself, it will catch up with you when you get older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlnyc88 View Post
Quit smoking cigarettes and weed. Every time I light up a cigarette I just keep thinking about how bad I want to quit. Flower just adds to the damage and doesn't even get me high anymore.
Perhaps you have the wrong flower? Leaving it at that.
Appreciate 1
Mingwan1892.50
      04-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #64
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program from Jon Kabat-Zinn is an excellent approach for many of the issues noted here, can't recommend it strongly enough - kind of like an exercise program for the mind, to improve the ability to hold with a specific focus, or avoid the rumination and distraction of unwanted thoughts (more like Yoga than Karate, it improves the overall 'mental fitness' capacity to direct and coordinate thinking, rather than having specific tactics to suppress/change thoughts or improve mood). There are lots of cheap 'knock-off wannabe's' that have been diluting it, or throwing around a few phrases/tactics that are stupid in isolation or out of context, so seek out those who actually did some formal training and use it themselves. Full Catastrophe Living was my intro and still the central resource, even better is to work with an instructor or group if you can.
https://www.amazon.com/Full-Catastro.../dp/B00C4BA3UK
https://mbsrtraining.com/jon-kabat-zinn-mbsr-training/
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
Mingwan1892.50
      04-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #65
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Be careful with this. I'm the same way. Typical type A personality. Go, go, go, nonstop and while I'm 100 mph on one project, I'm already plotting 2 days in advance. I'm starting to see health issues based off the stress I put myself through mentally and physically. Make sure you take care of yourself, it will catch up with you when you get older.

Perhaps you have the wrong flower? Leaving it at that.
Referring to sleep? If so, yes. I have recently become aware of the damaging affects of poor sleeping habits and lack of quality sleep. I listened to a joe organ podcast with Matthew Walker and have since looked into his work. It was an eye opener.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-15-2020, 12:45 PM   #66
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Referring to sleep? If so, yes. I have recently become aware of the damaging affects of poor sleeping habits and lack of quality sleep. I listened to a joe organ podcast with Matthew Walker and have since looked into his work. It was an eye opener.
Not just sleep but overextending oneself mentally and physically. They go hand in hand. If a person isn't getting enough sleep but they are able to manage their work/stress load accordingly, it somewhat works out. Being constantly on the go, stressed and little sleep is like burning the candle at both ends.

I had a surgery back in December and while the initial meet and greet with the surgeon, he was more concerned about how many hows a week I work, what my stress level is like and how much sleep I get.
Appreciate 1
Mingwan1892.50