BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BMS clutch stop = awesome

07-28-2018, 03:52 PM   #155
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
Gang I was the one who had trouble with my E36M3 after a clutch stop was installed.

It took hundreds of Auto X runs & track events but I eventually had trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear.

It got so bad that I had to swap in a used tranny.

I wasn't trying to scare anyone, just letting you know that they are an awesome upgrade but you need to make sure that you aren't to aggressive with the adjustment.

In my case I had no idea that I was slowly damaging the synco cone..

I know tons of drivers who are fine with this mod.

HTH,
HAZMAT
After that many events, couldn't it just be normal wear and tear? I go between 2nd and .3rd a lot on the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #156
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
After that many events, couldn't it just be normal wear and tear? I go between 2nd and .3rd a lot on the track.
Very low probability of that being the culprit. In fact most of the tracks I drive have mostly 3 to 4 shifting. Autocross is done on a local runway and maybe twice a run you had to go from 2nd to 3rd, or bounce off the rev limiter for an eternity...
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 05:30 AM   #157
shamrock
Rep
Drives: M2 2016

stock clutch stop

I bought my car second hand with the after market clutch stop already installed with one rubber washer. I don't have the stock clutch stop. Does anyone know what part number it is and where to order it from? Is it ok to use the aftermarket one without any washers and just the felt pad which is stuck to the end of it?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #158
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

This site has several if you search 'clutch stop', here is one: https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...er-35316750569

If I were you I would just leave it in, its not going to hurt anything. I recently installed mine with two washers and it really helped eliminate the extra travel. I'm 99.9% sure its not hurting anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #159
shamrock
Rep

Well, this subject has gone back and forth with speculations as to whether the aftermarket clutch stop can cause tranny issues. The ultimate conclusion is "YES!!" I bought my car with 20k km. It had a constant, slight grind between second and third. I even opened a thread to see who else had the grind. I told myself that I would live with it; yet, it always bothered me. I read on this thread the possibility that the clutch stop may cause this grinding. Well low and behold, it did and does!! I took it out (it had only one washer installed.) I put it back in with only the felt pad on the end and no washers and everything is so f***ing smooth. Does anyone think that any damage was done while the aftermarket stopper was installed. Don't use this!! Now I need to get the original one.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #160
Lukeni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
Well, this subject has gone back and forth with speculations as to whether the aftermarket clutch stop can cause tranny issues. The ultimate conclusion is "YES!!" I bought my car with 20k km. It had a constant, slight grind between second and third. I even opened a thread to see who else had the grind. I told myself that I would live with it; yet, it always bothered me. I read on this thread the possibility that the clutch stop may cause this grinding. Well low and behold, it did and does!! I took it out (it had only one washer installed.) I put it back in with only the felt pad on the end and no washers and everything is so f***ing smooth. Does anyone think that any damage was done while the aftermarket stopper was installed. Don't use this!! Now I need to get the original one.
Can confirm your story...went from 2 to 1 washer. Still felt grind from 2nd to 3rd when shifted In high rpm and WOT. Went back OEM and now supersmooth. Cant say anything about the wear, only had it in for 10k km
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 01:09 AM   #161
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Is it possible that the prior driver did not fully disengage the clutch when he shifted? I don't think you can make an "ultimate conclusion". Maybe there were misshifts done in the past.

I've had mine on with 3 washers for about 12K miles and no feel of reported grinding. I'm curious to check, maybe I'll swap back the OEM.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:36 AM   #162
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post
Is it possible that the prior driver did not fully disengage the clutch when he shifted? I don't think you can make an "ultimate conclusion". Maybe there were misshifts done in the past.

I've had mine on with 3 washers for about 12K miles and no feel of reported grinding. I'm curious to check, maybe I'll swap back the OEM.
And I've had mine in for 15K km without any issue (1st 5K was with 3 washers before I went back to 2 washers). I only wish there was a UCP for RHD cars so I could get the pedal to sit at same level as the brake pedal & so get rid of the initial dead travel.

Last edited by David.m; 08-14-2018 at 03:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #163
shamrock
Rep

What more needs to be said? With one washer there was grinding and with none totally smooth.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #164
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
What more needs to be said? With one washer there was grinding and with none totally smooth.
Only that your experience may not be broadly applicable to all cars, you don't know how your car was driven for the 1st 20K km of it's life.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 12:50 AM   #165
Lukeni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Quote:
Only that your experience may not be broadly applicable to all cars, you don't know how your car was driven for the 1st 20K km of it's life.
Maybe not to all, but at least for „some" - as i wrote got exactly the same issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 12:23 AM   #166
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I swapped in the OEM stop drove normally for the past week. There's definitely dead space toward the end of the pedal travel, but it is hard to tell when the clutch actually catches since our cars have that "creep" feature.

I still think 3 washers is safe, but this thread has me paranoid. I will drive it for another week or so on OEM, but I feel 1 or 2 washers totally safe.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 04:13 PM   #167
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I replaced my BMS clutch stop with the factory today - feels less notchy now. And I look forward to see what it's like in the winter - in the single digits (F) when first shifting the cold car it would grind slightly with 1 BMS washer (and it wasn't much of a grind because it would be real slow speed and I didn't force it).
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 05:34 PM   #168
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
I swapped in the OEM stop drove normally for the past week. There's definitely dead space toward the end of the pedal travel, but it is hard to tell when the clutch actually catches since our cars have that "creep" feature.

I still think 3 washers is safe, but this thread has me paranoid. I will drive it for another week or so on OEM, but I feel 1 or 2 washers totally safe.
My thoughts on this whole situation when I had my m2 set up with the clutch stop was to make sure the clutch was fully disengaged with it in place. So what I did was put the car on a level surface with the stock clutch stop in and slowly release the clutch and see when the clutch would engage. Even with the auto creep in place (it raises the revs to help first gear starts) it will actually help determine when the clutch engages as the car will start moving easier with a bit of extra torque. What I found was that there was an excessive amount of dead space between the bottom of the clutch travel and the spot where the car started to move.

With the bms clutch stop (2 washers in place) the dead spot was reduced significantly but there was still a little bit of dead space even applying extra throttle to assist in starting from 1st gear. That little bit of dead space imo is still larger than a third washer placed in there.

So from my findings I think the bms clutch stop is fine for up to 3 washers without issues. Stock was unbearable to drive with so much dead space I never bottomed out the clutch completely.

I think op's grinding issue may be caused by transmission fluid and synchros. My m2 even on stock clutch stops had a weird lock out going from 1 to 2. It feels exactly the same as in my Evo X and was solved by a transmission fluid swap to "redline cocktail". I might mess around with my transmission fluid sooner or later and report back.
Appreciate 4
emargul204.50
geogerf115.50
Altra265.50
ddk632585.00
      09-01-2018, 06:36 PM   #169
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

The clutch on the M2 is hydraulic isn't it, and even minute amounts of air in the lines can change the biting position. I suspect that what works for some people may be too much for others. Clutch wear may also play into this, I'm not sure about that though.

I think the important thing is to stay on top of it. If you're getting grinding and you know it's not your technique, then try removing a washer, or going back to stock.

I think it's unfair for anyone on this forum to say, for example, 'two washers is fine, three is too much', because for another car, it simply might not be.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 3
randyt224.50
geogerf115.50
skiparock182.50
      09-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #170
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
The clutch on the M2 is hydraulic isn't it, and even minute amounts of air in the lines can change the biting position. I suspect that what works for some people may be too much for others. Clutch wear may also play into this, I'm not sure about that though.

I think the important thing is to stay on top of it. If you're getting grinding and you know it's not your technique, then try removing a washer, or going back to stock.

I think it's unfair for anyone on this forum to say, for example, 'two washers is fine, three is too much', because for another car, it simply might not be.
Yup it's hydraulic, so if you want to make sure a solution works for your said car then test it. You can do so by clutching in and slowly releasing with some gas to see where the bite point is. I recommend having a bit of dead space left even with the washers on for better modulation. (I don't like on/off switches)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #171
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post

Exactly, the clutch grab point varies from car to car.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #172
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

This thread has me concerned. Can anyone verify using the "window" technique mentioned earlier? Using two washers now, but might go back to OEM if we can't get some proof this is ok to use.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #173
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
This thread has me concerned. Can anyone verify using the "window" technique mentioned earlier? Using two washers now, but might go back to OEM if we can't get some proof this is ok to use.
Someone mentioned this in this thread (not going back to look), but I don't think a "window" exists for the F87 (though I don't know for sure) or for all/most vehicles. But someone else can correct me if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #174
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
My thoughts on this whole situation when I had my m2 set up with the clutch stop was to make sure the clutch was fully disengaged with it in place. So what I did was put the car on a level surface with the stock clutch stop in and slowly release the clutch and see when the clutch would engage. Even with the auto creep in place (it raises the revs to help first gear starts) it will actually help determine when the clutch engages as the car will start moving easier with a bit of extra torque. What I found was that there was an excessive amount of dead space between the bottom of the clutch travel and the spot where the car started to move.

With the bms clutch stop (2 washers in place) the dead spot was reduced significantly but there was still a little bit of dead space even applying extra throttle to assist in starting from 1st gear. That little bit of dead space imo is still larger than a third washer placed in there.

So from my findings I think the bms clutch stop is fine for up to 3 washers without issues. Stock was unbearable to drive with so much dead space I never bottomed out the clutch completely.

I think op's grinding issue may be caused by transmission fluid and synchros. My m2 even on stock clutch stops had a weird lock out going from 1 to 2. It feels exactly the same as in my Evo X and was solved by a transmission fluid swap to "redline cocktail". I might mess around with my transmission fluid sooner or later and report back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Every mod has a risk compared to stock that you have to be willing to take in order to mod your car.

That being said you can try the test I have done before which I have quoted above. Imo this is probably one of the most comprehensive tests you can do to ensure your clutch is fully disengaged.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #175
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Took a couple mins to install. Only have one spacer on after reading this thread.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #176
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

I got a different brand clutch stop and had to go to a minimum thickness (about 5mm) otherwise I had difficulties to shift from 1st to 2nd.
Appreciate 0