BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > CAR Magazine SA tests M2 around Killarney track

07-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #23
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrvergnügen View Post
Best M on sale? The problem is every M car has its cult followers which praise their car and decry everything else (this is mainly on the internet and not at meets/cruises). So it is always an uphill battle for the new guys.
I was mostly making fun of the Jezza review, where he claims it's his favorite of all time but what you said it's true - it's weird to see so much M on M hate...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 04:35 PM   #24
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

well I have no skin in this game, but lap times can vary by a couple of seconds just as the day goes on and the track temp gets hot.

Another variable is all these cars are thrashed press cars as well, now every "journo" does massive power slides and drifts in these things and I highly doubt new rubber and rotors, pads gets put on every day.

Street rubber, pads have a very narrow temp band (low, for street) on track, above that range, they fall off dramatically. Any review within a few seconds one way or another is prob. a pretty close call.

Lastly who cares if it is within a second or not, its a street car, sure you may go to the track, but seriously its not a race car. Sorry, no HPDE trophy for you.

I think it is fair to say, from the reviews I have seen, the 1M is a more engaging car, I have driven both, and agree. 1M has a very go kart feel, like a puppy, feels fast and edgy all the time. M2 is much more composed, like a 4 year old dog, lots of energy but will behave when they are told.

drive what you want, they are both great cars, everyone should be so lucky.
Appreciate 3
      07-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #25
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta
Quote:
Best M on sale? The problem is every M car has its cult followers which praise their car and decry everything else (this is mainly on the internet and not at meets/cruises). So it is always an uphill battle for the new guys.
I was mostly making fun of the Jezza review, where he claims it's his favorite of all time but what you said it's true - it's weird to see so much M on M hate...
All M lives matter
Appreciate 9
      07-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #26
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjb
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta
Quote:
All M lives matter
To funny lmao!!!
      07-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #27
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Wonder if the M2 press cars used for features such as these are fitted with track pads like they were at thermal.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #28
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Ok I had to look at the lap times but I just saw a 6MT 1M has a better lap time than an M2... And not only that it's an M2 with DCT.. ?

Wow, so you pay another 3K over the baby spoon fed rev match 6MT to end up slower ? Oh my !
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 08:19 AM   #29
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer
Wonder if the M2 press cars used for features such as these are fitted with track pads like they were at thermal.
Yes they were. The cars at Laguna seca for the M2 media launch all had " m performance " pads and were also all DCT, just as the cars at the performance center(s) do.

And after having driven an M2 on track, I would say that better pads than stock are absolutely needed for even intermediate level track duty, much more so than any M car I have ever driven.

Of course I would also recommend just going with aftermarket pads rather than M performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 05:33 PM   #30
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Looks good in any track