BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 6MT owners, do you consider your car hard to drive smoothly?

10-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #67
Top pup
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

By comparison to something like a Z4mc an M2 is almost effortless to drive smoothly, pretty much no different to any regular BMW.
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      10-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #68
RocketTR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
did you have trouble shifting into 3rd? hondas use to be famous for bad 3rd gear syncros for the k series engines.
No issues shifting into any gear. The car is brand new. The issue was mainly with the clutch engagement. I just couldn't manage to get the shifts smooth and all.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 03:48 AM   #69
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

OP, having only ever owned MT cars (apart from an SMG-equipped M3, and a Jaguar), I found the shift action on the M2 very notchy - particularly 1st-2nd.

It turned out the clutch wasn't disengaging properly even with the pedal all the way to the floor. The clutch was replaced under warranty at the first service, and has made a significant improvement to how the shift feels.

As a side note, I found leaving the lid on the storage compartment/armrest up so it didn't get in the way of my elbow when shifting made things easier. Weird, but there you go.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 07:12 AM   #70
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
OP, having only ever owned MT cars (apart from an SMG-equipped M3, and a Jaguar), I found the shift action on the M2 very notchy - particularly 1st-2nd.

It turned out the clutch wasn't disengaging properly even with the pedal all the way to the floor. The clutch was replaced under warranty at the first service, and has made a significant improvement to how the shift feels.

As a side note, I found leaving the lid on the storage compartment/armrest up so it didn't get in the way of my elbow when shifting made things easier. Weird, but there you go.

HTH
Interesting, I'll see how smooth I get with it over the next few months.

It just feels to me like the 1-2 is just off somehow. Like others have said, maybe it's the rpm's, the gear spacing, the low 1st, or whatever, but it's there for sure. The shift to 3rd and on up is butter.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:09 AM   #71
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post

HTH

It just feels to me like the 1-2 is just off somehow. Like others have said, maybe it's the rpm's, the gear spacing, the low 1st, or whatever, but it's there for sure. The shift to 3rd and on up is butter.
1st is really low/short compared to other manual cars I've had. Try short shifting to 2nd or let off the clutch a little slower.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:25 AM   #72
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top pup View Post
By comparison to something like a Z4mc an M2 is almost effortless to drive smoothly, pretty much no different to any regular BMW.
Does yours have that weird 2nd gear "grind" where it doesn't really make it into second if you rush it?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:27 AM   #73
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Welcome to BMW M. They make 1st really short for whatever reason.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 04:57 AM   #74
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
OP, I felt exactly like you do during my 1st month of driving. I came from a 6mt e90 m3 and that car's shift feel was more direct/raw feeling than my OG M2. I can thankfully say, I am finally starting to acclimatize to the shift feel of the m2 and am making noticeably smoother shifts. It only took 8 months of driving.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #75
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Sounds like it's normal and I'll just get used to it over time. That's cool with me.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 06:52 AM   #76
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Does yours have that weird 2nd gear "grind" where it doesn't really make it into second if you rush it?
My 135i was this way. After coming from an ‘05 STI with a fully treated high quality short shifter + bushings, the 135i was a major pita on the 1>2 shift.
I could slam the STI into 2nd without even paying attention. It was an awesome transmission with an awesome shift feel(triple cone synchro.) In fact, I don’t think I ever ground any gear a single time after 3-4 years of hard driving.
I was grinding 2nd on occasion from the first day to the last day I had the 135i.
You have to be extremely intentional about attempting a hard 1>2 shift in that car.
I will say, the times I’ve test driven the M2Cs, they did seem to be better than my old 135i. Nothing like the STI though. Honestly the CDV delete is an absolute must though. Big difference in the predictability/consistency of the clutch, and therefore the shift(s).
      10-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #77
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketTR View Post
No issues shifting into any gear. The car is brand new. The issue was mainly with the clutch engagement. I just couldn't manage to get the shifts smooth and all.
weird never had any issues with honda manuals given the light clutch...low tq motors. i only had issues if they had bad syncros.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #78
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Sounds like it's normal and I'll just get used to it over time. That's cool with me.
Pretty much. Over time, you will get a feel for the way the car shifts with the cdv. Like I said, lately, I make mostly consistently smooth shifts, but that is because I really payed attention to the shift characteristics over the past few months and am now getting really comfortable with it. Let me also point out my m2 is not a garage queen, ie. It shares DD duty with my trusty old A4 which is an automatic. Consistent driving practice really matters. If you only drive your m2 once or twice a week, it's going to take a LONG time to get used to the way the cdv makes it feel.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 11:43 AM   #79
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

My M2C MT has loosened up after 13k miles. I'm really happy with it now. The rpm's will also drop faster between 1st and 2nd if you're in Sport+ mode with the stock tune. Just watch how long it takes the tach to drop in efficient mode. It's frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #80
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

If you don't press the clutch to the floor between 1st and 2nd there is the potential for a little grind if your rpm's are too far off.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #81
RocketTR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
weird never had any issues with honda manuals given the light clutch...low tq motors. i only had issues if they had bad syncros.
Have you driven the turbo engine Hondas? They make decent low end torque now, much in the same way just about all small displacement turbo engines make good bottom end torque.

But this was definitely an issue with a clutch delay valve. I'm at least 95% sure that was the cause of my smoothness issues. The owner was in the car with me and he probably thought I sucked at driving manual because I couldn't drive his car smoothly. Then again, either could he...but he's new to manual transmissions. I told him to rip out the CDV, but I don't think he's going to do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #82
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Have you driven the turbo engine Hondas? They make decent low end torque now, much in the same way just about all small displacement turbo engines make good bottom end torque.

But this was definitely an issue with a clutch delay valve. I'm at least 95% sure that was the cause of my smoothness issues. The owner was in the car with me and he probably thought I sucked at driving manual because I couldn't drive his car smoothly. Then again, either could he...but he's new to manual transmissions. I told him to rip out the CDV, but I don't think he's going to do it.
i've only driven manual B and K series engines. I drove the new turbo L series engines in the civic but only in cvt though.

i dont get the purpose of the CDVs..with all the turbo motors coming in new cars...its pretty difficult to stall your engine even if you start in the wrong gear.

if you drive a manual n/a 1.6L engine, the car punishes pretty quick if you cant drive manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 03:39 AM   #83
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:

CDV removal didn't make shifts 1->2 any smoother in my Z4M. It did make finely modulating the clutch from a dead stop and in reverse a lot nicer, though. I don't know what the ratios are in the Civic, but the ratio gap and overall short gearing is a much bigger contributor in BMW M cars.

Unless Honda is using a very restrictive valve, I would have to guess the delay is in the low 100s of ms on BMWs.

Quote:
i've only driven manual B and K series engines. I drove the new turbo L series engines in the civic but only in cvt though.

i dont get the purpose of the CDVs..with all the turbo motors coming in new cars...its pretty difficult to stall your engine even if you start in the wrong gear.

if you drive a manual n/a 1.6L engine, the car punishes pretty quick if you cant drive manual.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with stalling, but protecting the drivetrain in case the clutch is dumped hard.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 03:39 PM   #84
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
CDV removal didn't make shifts 1->2 any smoother in my Z4M. It did make finely modulating the clutch from a dead stop and in reverse a lot nicer, though. I don't know what the ratios are in the Civic, but the ratio gap and overall short gearing is a much bigger contributor in BMW M cars.

Unless Honda is using a very restrictive valve, I would have to guess the delay is in the low 100s of ms on BMWs.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with stalling, but protecting the drivetrain in case the clutch is dumped hard.
who would clutch dump a 60k car?

even the motor trend guys say they get the fastest 0-60 times by slipping the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #85
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
who would clutch dump a 60k car?

even the motor trend guys say they get the fastest 0-60 times by slipping the clutch.
All about what the drivetrain is rated to handle, how much you're putting down, and whether the car hooks or not. If the drivetrain can handle it, then drop it like it's hot.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #86
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
All about what the drivetrain is rated to handle, how much you're putting down, and whether the car hooks or not. If the drivetrain can handle it, then drop it like it's hot.
your braver then I. i came from the wrx world, thats how are lot of guys blew up their glass trannys.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #87
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Dropping the clutch on any car is dumb if you care about your drivetrain. Car manufacturers know that people will do it so they try to protect themselves by design at least until the warranty is up.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      10-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #88
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Dropping the clutch on any car is dumb if you care about your drivetrain. Car manufacturers know that people will do it so they try to protect themselves by design at least until the warranty is up.
I agree. However, I believe it's the manufacturer's fault sometimes.

Case in point is the original Honda S2000. I worked at Honda when that car was released, and for the USDM they marketed the car as being capable of 0-60 in 5.5 seconds (because they know how much 0-60 numbers mean to Americans). The problem was that the ONLY way to get the car to 60 that quickly was to dump/side-step the clutch. A normal aggressive run to 60 was more like 8 to 9 seconds.

So people blew out diff's, as they should have, and Honda replaced them. You can't use numbers to SELL a car and then get upset with the owners for making the car do those numbers the only way they are possible.

Myself, I drove my S2000 fast in the corners, not 0-60. And the M, well, it never even gets run hard, I have an Exige for that. And if I'm honest, I don't run the Exige nearly as hard as I should.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50