BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > M laptimer video w/out GoPro

06-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
synkro
@danisnk
Portugal
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition / M3 e36

M laptimer video w/out GoPro

Hey folks,

I'm trying to find an easy way to get the data recorded using the M laptimer overlayed with video footage.

The most straight forward way would be to use the video function built-in the M laptimer app, with the phone camera, but I don't have the red video button in the app. Even im the new presentation video posted by BMW that button appears but not sure why I'm missing it. Video is enabled in the app settings and couldn't find anything else to configure besides that.

The second option was to integrate it with a GoPro, as advertised by BMW, but couldn't get that working either. My iPhone connects to the GoPro using the new Quick app by GoPro but there's no option in the iDrive to start video recording. Not sure if this was available only with the previous Capture app by GoPro...

Any tips you'd have to get any of the two options running? I'd really like to get the built-in telemetry and hoping this won't get too complicated to get running as it was advertised like a feature.

Thanks!
      06-18-2021, 04:39 PM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

It's been a while since using m Laptimer, but if you are able to export a CSV file you could use software like Racerender to create a video data overlay.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 04:44 AM   #3
synkro
@danisnk
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
It's been a while since using m Laptimer, but if you are able to export a CSV file you could use software like Racerender to create a video data overlay.
Thanks for sharing! Was looking for a straight-forward way to achieve this as I found the RaceRender software to require some time to get things done.

Meanwhile it looks like the M Laptimer dropped support for the GoPro cameras.

I'm troubleshooting with their support why I can't record using the apps built-in video function and will share the outcome here, maybe it can help others.
      07-12-2021, 01:29 AM   #4
synkro
@danisnk
Portugal
Rep

Hey folks, so I managed to get the red video recording button on my app by reinstalling it. Also been in touch with the devs and it seems that GoPro removed the support for the app so currently the built-in phone camera is the only way to get video with overlay.

And this brings me to a new concern: the M Laptimer only shows video overlay within the app. When exporting the video it goes out without overlay and that's a bummer.

I used the screen recorder for a demo lap and here's how it looks:

Another option might be RaceRender but didn't had time to try that out. Hopefully at one point we'll be able to export video with overlay using the M laptimer as that would make everything so easy.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #5
booya_45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 08:45 AM   #6
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkro View Post
Hey folks, so I managed to get the red video recording button on my app by reinstalling it. Also been in touch with the devs and it seems that GoPro removed the support for the app so currently the built-in phone camera is the only way to get video with overlay.

And this brings me to a new concern: the M Laptimer only shows video overlay within the app. When exporting the video it goes out without overlay and that's a bummer.

Another option might be RaceRender but didn't had time to try that out. Hopefully at one point we'll be able to export video with overlay using the M laptimer as that would make everything so easy.

Hope this helps.

So this video is the rendered video that you exported or viewed in the app or what you see when you’re driving in the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
synkro
@danisnk
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps.

So this video is the rendered video that you exported or viewed in the app or what you see when you’re driving in the car?
During the lap you won't see anything on the phone screen. You can choose to see the lap time or track map on idrive.

The above video is captured with screen recording and it represents the video you'll be able to see "offline", after the session.

Unfortunately it cannot export video with overlay, just the blank recording, and this is why I had to use screen recording

Hope this makes sense
      07-31-2021, 09:42 AM   #8
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps.

So this video is the rendered video that you exported or viewed in the app or what you see when you're driving in the car?
During the lap you won't see anything on the phone screen. You can choose to see the lap time or track map on idrive.

The above video is captured with screen recording and it represents the video you'll be able to see "offline", after the session.

Unfortunately it cannot export video with overlay, just the blank recording, and this is why I had to use screen recording

Hope this makes sense
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps.

So this video is the rendered video that you exported or viewed in the app or what you see when you're driving in the car?

Hope this makes sense
Ok got it. I was hoping this would be a good replacement for track addict but seems not as you have to stay in the app to see telemetry
      07-31-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
synkro
@danisnk
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps.

Hope this makes sense
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps.

Hope this makes sense
Ok got it. I was hoping this would be a good replacement for track addict but seems not as you have to stay in the app to see telemetry
I was actually hoping the same and I'm coming from TrackAddict on Android where exporting with overlay wasn't possible either.

One plus for the M Laptimer is that telemetry comes from the vehicle sensors, which should be in theory more accurate. That's of course unless you already have an OBD connector to your TrackAddict
      07-31-2021, 12:16 PM   #10
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
If you're looking for the easiest way to get good videos with data, the aim solo 2 dl with Smartycam is about as simple as it gets.

The Smartycam however is only 720p, so it's not the best videos. But there is absolutely zero post processing you have to do with this setup.

I personally use the aim solo 2 DL and a gopro for video, and then combine them in racerender after the fact. It's time consuming and certainly not easy, but I get superior videos this way.

There's also the racelogic vbox hd2, if you have a bunch of disposable income. Does 1080p video and supports up to 2 cameras.
Appreciate 1
synkro22.00
      11-28-2021, 09:01 AM   #11
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i 2014

So, the MLaptimer is a really cool app, specially if you consider that the car sensors (but the GPS) are very good quality. Recently, I've put together some code that allows to use the app data along with a GoPro video. Even more, if you use a GoPro with GPS and set it up right to get a good quality GPS track, the code will parse the MLaptimer low res GPS track with the high res GPS track from the camera, sync everything together, and output a csv file for rendering videos with Dashware or RaceRender. Even better, it also outputs a .vbo file, which can be used in CT to analyze the driving, with pretty much the same quality (depends on how good you set the GoPro) you would get with a vbox video. Check the results below and pm me if interested.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #12
neonbrown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackEnthusiast View Post
So, the MLaptimer is a really cool app, specially if you consider that the car sensors (but the GPS) are very good quality. Recently, I've put together some code that allows to use the app data along with a GoPro video. Even more, if you use a GoPro with GPS and set it up right to get a good quality GPS track, the code will parse the MLaptimer low res GPS track with the high res GPS track from the camera, sync everything together, and output a csv file for rendering videos with Dashware or RaceRender. Even better, it also outputs a .vbo file, which can be used in CT to analyze the driving, with pretty much the same quality (depends on how good you set the GoPro) you would get with a vbox video. Check the results below and pm me if interested.

All of these guy's solutions are really great.

I myself made a quick video with the M lap timer footage by:

1. screen recording on the m lap timer on my phone.

2. Take that video file, along w the go pro video file into Adobe premiere (or any video editing program)

3. Line up the UI data with the go pro video!

It's not perfect but it took me all of 5 minutes and got myself a neat video of a hot lap!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #13
M2C KCMO
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

That is really cool, I just use a catalyst.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 07:35 PM   #14
lagunak47
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackEnthusiast View Post

Can I get or buy the software from you?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 05:19 AM   #15
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagunak47 View Post
Can I get or buy the software from you?
Hey mate, thanks for the interest. It is already available online at www.easy-telemetry.com.

If you just want the MLaptimer data to render videos, it is for free, all you need is to subscribe with a valid e-mail and upload the app file, then you'll get the processed .csv file and also templates for Dashware (windows only). This .csv file can be used im other softwares as well, like Race Render, but I haven't tested that yet.

However, to be able to use CT as in the video above you also need a GoPro, so you can get a high resolution GPS track and video. For processing the GoPro files, I charge a little fee so I can pay for the server (1 buck per session). Subscribe and I'll give you some free sessions so you can test.
Appreciate 1