M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > MY2017 TPMS at the track

05-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

MY2017 TPMS at the track

Hey guys.

I had a hell of a time with the TPMS system this past weekend at the track. The best I could do was 26psi cold, begin reset on the grid and get pressure up to 27psi on the first lap.

If I started at 25 or lower and did the TPMS reset, I couldn't get the tire up to 27psi before the car would shut me down into comfort mode and then force me to come into the pits.

I've seen conflicting input on if we remove the TPMS sensors on MY17 whether or not the car will not see the sensors and then switch into comfort mode. Cosmos says going into TC off bypasses all this on his MY17.

Any other MY17 guys experiencing something different? The car forcing back into comfort mode after not seeing the sensors?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 11:40 PM   #2
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

With my factory wheels I need to do one or two out laps, pit, begin reset then I am good for the session. Went to track wheels with no TPMS and tell it to reset....it will search then give up, allowing me to run in any mode I choose, including MDM and DSC off.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 06:42 AM   #3
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Just curious what target PSI are you guys shooting for with the M2, with the MPSS?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 07:07 AM   #4
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

So, Twt and Cosmos say the car will look, not see the sensors, and they can run in any mode without the car locking them into comfort.

Anyone else experienced something different?

As for pressures, I found 36 hot to be the best for the MPSS's. Much higher than that and they get greasy.

Altho, you need a few laps to go easy and heat them up or they'll roll over on low pressure and you'll wear the outside shoulder. Track tires have stiffer sidewalls, so that's less of an issue with them.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

35-36 psi for RE71r, for me. Felt like the rear would get loose with more. Take with a grain of salt, since I run on Ohlins with modified spring rates and a camber kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #6
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

If you turn off TC all the way it locks you to comfort regardless of TPMS. The car is undriveable with TC on at all. Wish I could get sport + throttle with TC all the way off.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
pmilani
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M3 CS (LRG)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Yesterday I just had myself hard time with the TPMS. I had 2 sessions within a few hours.
In session 1 I started a bit too high, hot day, and the pressures went up together with temps a bit too much.
Decided to drop pressures before going into session 2.
Depending on track and weather but generally aiming for 2.4 or 2.5 bars running hot. I nailed the correct pressure setting, car handling great and temps ok, but after 2 laps tmps shut me down in comfort.
Why did it come on when readings were 2.4? That is the recommended (cold) pressure.
Stupid me I didn't try DSC off.
I have only used stock MPSS, no experience with other sensorless tires

PS 36psi = 2.48 bar
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 06:23 AM   #8
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Confirmed my 17 allows any mode even with tpms failure due to no sensors detected. I wish I could get sport plus throttle response with tc all the way off.
Appreciate 1
rjn42.50
      05-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #9
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Confirmed my 17 allows any mode even with tpms failure due to no sensors detected. I wish I could get sport plus throttle response with tc all the way off.
Thanks Cosmos. Sounds like no TPMS sensors for the track is the way to go. BTW, my car goes into Comfort throttle and steering response in MDM, and into Sport with TC all the way off.

Do the single tap of the TC button, drive around the block (you will notice the Comfort like response), and then press/hold the TC button while still driving to go TC full off. You should feel the throttle and steering tighten up and the exhaust get louder.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:17 PM   #10
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Thanks Cosmos. Sounds like no TPMS sensors for the track is the way to go. BTW, my car goes into Comfort throttle and steering response in MDM, and into Sport with TC all the way off.

Do the single tap of the TC button, drive around the block (you will notice the Comfort like response), and then press/hold the TC button while still driving to go TC full off. You should feel the throttle and steering tighten up and the exhaust get louder.
Nope, mine defaults to comfort with TC off all the way. Super sluggish throttle quietest exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:33 PM   #11
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Nope, mine defaults to comfort with TC off all the way. Super sluggish throttle quietest exhaust.
Have you tried this with your stock wheels/tires with the sensors? Mine goes Sport +.

Maybe without the sensors, TC can turn off, but it goes into comfort mode throttle & steering response?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #12
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

I will be putting dedicated track wheels/tires together soon, yes or no on TPMS? I have a 2017.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 09:08 AM   #13
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
I will be putting dedicated track wheels/tires together soon, yes or no on TPMS? I have a 2017.
That's what we're trying to figure out.

With TPMS sensors you cannot start with pressures below 26/27 psi without having to come back into the pits to start another TPMS system reset.

Without TPMS, it sounds like you can still run in all the modes (Sport+, MDM, TC off), but throttle and steering response will be limited to comfort? Hoping Cosmos can chime in on my previous post, and one of the other guys can check their steering/throttle response in TC off without sensors.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 05:07 PM   #14
Twt
Captain
Rep

After 14+ track days I did not pay much attention the throttle and steering mapping in DSC off mode, but I do think it is Comfort. When I go to Sport+ or MDM it feels more responsive . Even if this is true, I refuse to go back to the TPMS reset game....way too much aggravation to do warm up laps then pull in to reset. I read somewhere that BMW wants to slow down the throttle and steering in DSC/track mode to make the car less twitchy at high speed.

Last edited by Twt; 05-31-2017 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 02:25 AM   #15
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

According to the driving mode chart, you get sport settings with DSC fully off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 05:19 AM   #16
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
According to the driving mode chart, you get sport settings with DSC fully off.
So it appears that in Sport+ mode you get the quickest pedal response and some shift point modification that is reduced in DSC off mode....that follows my understanding that BMW dumbs down some of the functions for track use to make the car easier to handle....although I did think that steering input was different but it's the same. I was surprised to see that everything is "softer" in MDM mode, which is supposed to be the preferred track mode for some....I wonder if coding mine to euro MDM changed any of these values.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 07:49 AM   #17
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
So it appears that in Sport+ mode you get the quickest pedal response and some shift point modification that is reduced in DSC off mode....that follows my understanding that BMW dumbs down some of the functions for track use to make the car easier to handle....although I did think that steering input was different but it's the same. I was surprised to see that everything is "softer" in MDM mode, which is supposed to be the preferred track mode for some....I wonder if coding mine to euro MDM changed any of these values.
I have mine coded for Euro MDM and my car responds similar to the graphic above: Comfort mode response in Euro MDM and Sport response with DSC off. I have TPMS sensors on my track wheels.

Cosmos says his car stays in comfort mode response with DSC off and without TPMS sensors installed on his track wheels.

Twt, could you confirm how you car responds when switching from Euro MDM to DSC off, while you're on your track wheels without the sensors?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 05:13 PM   #18
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have mine coded for Euro MDM and my car responds similar to the graphic above: Comfort mode response in Euro MDM and Sport response with DSC off. I have TPMS sensors on my track wheels.

Cosmos says his car stays in comfort mode response with DSC off and without TPMS sensors installed on his track wheels.

Twt, could you confirm how you car responds when switching from Euro MDM to DSC off, while you're on your track wheels without the sensors?
This is perplexing...I can confirm that when I run without sensors in DSC off I get better lap times than in MDM....just tried this weekend at Road Atlanta. I am heading to NCM next weekend and will see if there is a difference in throttle and shift points. I came out of a 500+ hp C5Z so this car always feel tame , in a good way, so I never really thought about these issues. I still go back to my previous premise....I hate having to deal with TPMS on track
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 05:45 PM   #19
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
This is perplexing...I can confirm that when I run without sensors in DSC off I get better lap times than in MDM....just tried this weekend at Road Atlanta. I am heading to NCM next weekend and will see if there is a difference in throttle and shift points. I came out of a 500+ hp C5Z so this car always feel tame , in a good way, so I never really thought about these issues. I still go back to my previous premise....I hate having to deal with TPMS on track
I hear ya on the TPMS woes. I'm running Summit Point Shenandoah this weekend and will see how my pressures and temps differ with the camber plates, Dinan suspension, track alignment, and corner balance that's all happening tomorrow.

Hopefully can keep the front temps and pressures lower. Altho, I don't know how much of it is the brakes and how much is the current suspension setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 09:43 PM   #20
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I hear ya on the TPMS woes. I'm running Summit Point Shenandoah this weekend and will see how my pressures and temps differ with the camber plates, Dinan suspension, track alignment, and corner balance that's all happening tomorrow.

Hopefully can keep the front temps and pressures lower. Altho, I don't know how much of it is the brakes and how much is the current suspension setup.
My car really improved with camber plates, MP coilovers, track alignment and corner balance....but the best bang for the buck is ( or are?) track pads!
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2017, 09:55 PM   #21
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
My car really improved with camber plates, MP coilovers, track alignment and corner balance....but the best bang for the buck is ( or are?) track pads!
Agreed! You may remember my clogged disc holes thread which was me smoking my RS29s. Changed to PFC08s and no more issues, save some fade 20min into the session. Just have to back off for a lap.

My comment about the brakes was more about just how hot they can get and drive up the front tire temps and pressures.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #22
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Agreed! You may remember my clogged disc holes thread which was me smoking my RS29s. Changed to PFC08s and no more issues, save some fade 20min into the session. Just have to back off for a lap.

My comment about the brakes was more about just how hot they can get and drive up the front tire temps and pressures.
I remember. I think my cheap DIY brake ducts may be making a big difference in keeping them cooler....check out my post. Also, i seem to prefer starting at low pressures, like 24, so I don't get slippery when they heat up....again that's why I won't deal with TPMS.
Appreciate 0