11-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #67
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
I ran NT01's on track and have since not found a DOT tire i like better on track (other than Hoosier A/R7's). Ive since ran Pirelli DH slicks.
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #68
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Thoughts on the Toyo R888Rs: Have them on my 2020 M2 Comp with Apex EC-7 wheels in 9.5 & 10.5 x 19 shod with 265 & 295 R19.

The camber at 2.85 degrees in front and 1.8 rear is perfect. My tire wear and temps across the tread were very consistent - just a couple more degrees of heat in the outer shoulders, which is to be expected - 140-145 was what I measured over the weekend after spirited runs. I was aiming for 36 psi hot (seems to like it there). The car reports pressures 2 pounds less than my gauge, which is interesting. I trust the gauge more than the car.

A few years back, running the R888s on a V8 R8 I was NOT impressed. They always seemed skittish and I never had any trust in them.

My first track event with them on my present M2C (now R888R) wasn't overly confidence inspiring either. They were heat cycled from Tire Rack but I wonder just how effective their cycling is.

I don't know if it was just getting that first weekend of running them in or if it's Arizona Motorsports Park's (AMP) surface or temps (although temps were not chilly at all) that gave me the lack of confidence with them or what.

Went to Buttonwillow a couple weeks ago and WOW, what a change! After getting them warmed up and run a few laps I am very impressed. Sticky sneakers!

The do NOT like cooler temps (especially with lower pressures - was being very lazy and didn't adjust them from 28 cold to what should have been 32-33 for the first session of the day). I actually had the front end just flat out let go and went four wheels off with a student riding shotgun. Car behind me said it looked like I hit ice.

Once up to temp they were very predictive, gave great feedback, especially on the edge, and when they did break free it wasn't a sudden "oh shit" moment (like Pirelli P-Zeros on the street), they just did what I asked and came back with proper throttle/brake/steering input.

I'd chosen to run with the Toyos for my first set of track tires on the M2 because they run quite a bit less (and are a bit easier to find) than the Pirelli Trofeo R, figuring that I'd get some seat time in the car with these and then switch to Pirelli but after the weekend at Buttonwillow, I'm going to stick with these for at least a second set.

I have an HPDE this Sunday at Bondurant's (Wild Horse/Firebird - what ever you may know it as) track and am looking forward to seeing how they work there.

I'll report back next week sometime with more thoughts.

Overall, though, I'm quite impressed with the present R888R offering from Toyo. They work quite well.

I'm still curious as to longevity - have been marking each session to keep track of the life they have on this car.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous

Last edited by K-Fab; 12-10-2019 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
bentom2335.50
mcvaughan702.00
      12-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #69
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Thanks for the write up and sharing your thoughts. Good stuff.

It’s actually not surprising the gauge gave you higher temp than pressure sensors mounted to the rims. The car will tell you air temp by the rim and if you measure thread temp you measure the contact patch directly which should be higher.

How did you measure? Using remote IR tool?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #70
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Thanks for the write up and sharing your thoughts. Good stuff.

It’s actually not surprising the gauge gave you higher temp than pressure sensors mounted to the rims. The car will tell you air temp by the rim and if you measure thread temp you measure the contact patch directly which should be higher.

How did you measure? Using remote IR tool?
Ooops! That was supposed to be pounds (have edited). The car reports the tire pressure two pounds less than my gauge. I never paid attention to the temps that the car reported now that I think about it.

I have a Longacre gauge with probe similar to this: Longacre Gauge
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous

Last edited by K-Fab; 12-11-2019 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      04-07-2020, 10:24 PM   #71
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

After much research, analysis, and deliberation, I've decided to give the Yoko A052s a try this year, assuming all is not lost for the year. Reviewers seem to support that the A052s have better grip and longevity than the RE71s, though won't last as long as NT01s.

Of course, after coming to this conclusion, I realise that A052s are not available in 275/35 18. What do they have against BMW?
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4654.50
      04-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #72
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
After much research, analysis, and deliberation, I've decided to give the Yoko A052s a try this year, assuming all is not lost for the year. Reviewers seem to support that the A052s have better grip and longevity than the RE71s, though won't last as long as NT01s.

Of course, after coming to this conclusion, I realise that A052s are not available in 275/35 18. What do they have against BMW?
Yeah that sucks! Its one of the most popular tire sizes. They also don't offer a 285/30 either.

I ended up going staggered after reading from other track junkies that Staggered is faster and you can put more power down from apex to track out as well. 265/35 and 295/35 on 18x10 Ec-7's 33 offset.
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #73
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
Yeah that sucks! Its one of the most popular tire sizes. They also don't offer a 285/30 either.

I ended up going staggered after reading from other track junkies that Staggered is faster and you can put more power down from apex to track out as well. 265/35 and 295/35 on 18x10 Ec-7's 33 offset.
I've been contemplating the staggered route. Despite running a pretty good pace on a squared setup over the last few years, I also tend to lean to the thinking that staggered might be just a little quicker.

However, after consulting a shop that professionally built an M2 race car that puts down times that blow away lightly modded M2/3/4's, I'm not so certain. They are of the opinion that square is still better. Better in the sense that you get more tire life out of being able to rotate, a considerable benefit for the typical HPDE driver. But also better in the sense of more neutral handling. My setup is pretty dialed in at the moment with a marginally loose car, just the way I like it. I'd hate to go staggered and start fighting front end push.

I guess there's really only one way to tell for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:49 PM   #74
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
I've been contemplating the staggered route. Despite running a pretty good pace on a squared setup over the last few years, I also tend to lean to the thinking that staggered might be just a little quicker.

However, after consulting a shop that professionally built an M2 race car that puts down times that blow away lightly modded M2/3/4's, I'm not so certain. They are of the opinion that square is still better. Better in the sense that you get more tire life out of being able to rotate, a considerable benefit for the typical HPDE driver. But also better in the sense of more neutral handling. My setup is pretty dialed in at the moment with a marginally loose car, just the way I like it. I'd hate to go staggered and start fighting front end push.

I guess there's really only one way to tell for sure.
There are several track dudes that have run both square and staggered. I've NEVER RUN A STAGGERED SETUP BEFORE NOW. That's 30 years :-). I decided to try it for a couple reasons.

1) There's enough feedback from posters such as ZM2 to counter your concerns...https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1464923

2) Most of the tires I'd want to use can only be ordered in some sort of staggered configuration.

3) I'm on a square rim setup. I can always run thru a few sets staggered until more tire sizes become available in the A052, BFG Rival 1.5's etc
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:58 PM   #75
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

If you have the car correctly setup and you drive each corner to its limits, more rubber will always be faster on a road track.

That’s not to say that different people have different driving preferences that they feel more comfortable with which could translate to a quicker time (square or staggered), but if you’re using all available rubber to the max staggered is quicker.

My patience was extremely tested when I tried 265/305 (bc that’s as wide as you can go with 19s) and I didn’t think it was that much fun, but it yielded faster times than my square setup.

I’ll stick to 2-3 front/rear size differences on my new 18s to max out the grip while still having good balance (265-275F, 285-305R).

Last edited by ZM2; 04-08-2020 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0