BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > LCI DSC Off

10-20-2019, 12:45 AM   #1
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

LCI DSC Off

Hello,

I have an LCI. When i hold down the traction off button, it goes to DSC off. What driving profile is DSC off mode? As in throttle response, oil cooling (comfort mode doesnt cool the oil as well as the other modes), steering, sound, gear changes, etc.

Is it equivalent to sport+ mode? sport? Judging from basic feel it feels peppier than confort or traction mode, but curious as to what mode it's equivalent to.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:08 AM   #2
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Haiii View Post
Hello,

I have an LCI. When i hold down the traction off button, it goes to DSC off. What driving profile is DSC off mode? As in throttle response, oil cooling (comfort mode doesnt cool the oil as well as the other modes), steering, sound, gear changes, etc.

Is it equivalent to sport+ mode? sport? Judging from basic feel it feels peppier than confort or traction mode, but curious as to what mode it's equivalent to.

Thanks in advance!
sport throttle. Inside the manual you'll find a chart.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
gandapanda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 & 19 Sentra

Garage List
It's similar to Sport but with no auto rev match and no stability control. There's a chart (as mentioned above) that shows you all the assist levels by drive mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:30 AM   #4
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandapanda View Post
It's similar to Sport but with no auto rev match and no stability control. There's a chart (as mentioned above) that shows you all the assist levels by drive mode.
Traction control and stability are completely off, so be careful in the corner a getting in the gas, or the rear will come around on you.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #5
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

I don't know if there are different versions of the manual out there, but I can't find said chart in my LCI manual, but it is available here https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1206958 just scroll down a bit
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #6
Hoverdog
It's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m2 Black Shadow

DCS off is my favorite mode. It's the first button I push after buckling up. Drove all of last winter with it off and had no problem, even in the rain. I think the limited slip diff helps a great deal. The fact that it turns off rev matching is a plus.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 03:29 AM   #7
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
DCS off is my favorite mode. It's the first button I push after buckling up. Drove all of last winter with it off and had no problem, even in the rain. I think the limited slip diff helps a great deal. The fact that it turns off rev matching is a plus.
I do the same thing. Click the belt and push and hold traction button to get into DSC off. I love the engine note and the burbles on decel, plus like you said I get to shift on my own, match revs on my own and slide around as I please with no annoying nannies.

One thing I love about this mode is a very loud POP after this scenario. Once the engine is up to temp and I floor it in second to about 5000rpm, then let off abruptly. Very loud shotgun blast out the exhaust. Every time. Love it in tunnels.
Appreciate 1
kingikra120.00
      11-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #8
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I do the same thing. Click the belt and push and hold traction button to get into DSC off. I love the engine note and the burbles on decel, plus like you said I get to shift on my own, match revs on my own and slide around as I please with no annoying nannies.

One thing I love about this mode is a very loud POP after this scenario. Once the engine is up to temp and I floor it in second to about 5000rpm, then let off abruptly. Very loud shotgun blast out the exhaust. Every time. Love it in tunnels.
Just an FYI, the car warms up faster in Comfort and Traction mode than it will in Sport/Sport Plus/DSC OFF. The cooling system works overtime in the latter modes, so if you turn it on right when you get in the car, you will spend more time trying to get the engine up to temp. You can verify with any of the OBD dongles and one of the apps, get the car hot and then turn on Sport plus and you can watch temps drop.

Appreciate 3
5.M0NSTER3353.50
smknjoe234.00
///M TOWN13119.00
      11-05-2019, 08:02 AM   #9
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Good point and thanks for the tip. I remember seeing threads on this, and if I remember the data showed better cooling in Sport/Sport+ but not in DSC off. Or am I not remembering correctly?
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #10
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Good point and thanks for the tip. I remember seeing threads on this, and if I remember the data showed better cooling in Sport/Sport+ but not in DSC off. Or am I not remembering correctly?
DSC OFF is basically sport mode with no traction/stability control.

Btw, has anyone ever proven sport/sport+ mode take longer to get up to temp? It is true comfort temps get higher eventually because the target temp is higher for efficiency, but there's no reason why BMW couldn't make sport/sport+ rise to the (lower) target temp quickly then hold it there.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here is the thread I was thinking about.

Mosely is correct and many thanks to landapanda for getting measurements in post #41

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1513164&page=2
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
Mosely592.50
      11-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #12
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
DSC OFF is basically sport mode with no traction/stability control.

Btw, has anyone ever proven sport/sport+ mode take longer to get up to temp? It is true comfort temps get higher eventually because the target temp is higher for efficiency, but there's no reason why BMW couldn't make sport/sport+ rise to the (lower) target temp quickly then hold it there.
No idea if it's been proven, but anecdotally I can say if I drive in comfort, my temp gauge gets up to the 205 mark (the major mark between 160 and 250) at an earlier point on my regular driving routes than if I switch immediately to sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #13
Hoverdog
It's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m2 Black Shadow

Yup, checked the numbers on my bimmerlink app and the comfort mode is about 25 degrees hotter on the highway (205 vs about 180 in the others). Temperatures in MDM mode is the same as comfort.

Interestingly, oil temperature seems unaffected. To me, oil temp is the most important because you want it to get hot enough to boil off the water that condensates overnight. If you don't, it will mix with the combustion by-products and turn into an acid that eats into your metal bits. BMW also tends to use high viscosity oils that require proper warm up.

I feel safe using DSC-off mode Knowing the oil will warm up as normal.

I don't know if the sport modes make the engine take longer to warm up but I would think that the difference is negligible, especially if you have a long commute. It is likely the thermostat cause the engine to warm up the same in all modes and the computer adjusts coolant flow to change the peak temperature after warm-up. Anyone know better?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 11:54 PM   #14
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Yup, checked the numbers on my bimmerlink app and the comfort mode is about 25 degrees hotter on the highway (205 vs about 180 in the others). Temperatures in MDM mode is the same as comfort.

Interestingly, oil temperature seems unaffected. To me, oil temp is the most important because you want it to get hot enough to boil off the water that condensates overnight. If you don't, it will mix with the combustion by-products and turn into an acid that eats into your metal bits. BMW also tends to use high viscosity oils that require proper warm up.

I feel safe using DSC-off mode Knowing the oil will warm up as normal.

I don't know if the sport modes make the engine take longer to warm up but I would think that the difference is negligible, especially if you have a long commute. It is likely the thermostat cause the engine to warm up the same in all modes and the computer adjusts coolant flow to change the peak temperature after warm-up. Anyone know better?
Interesting numbers. If I drive in comfort my oil temperature would be at 235 to 240, if I drive in sport it would be at 205 to 220f, depends on the distance.
Appreciate 0