BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Stock Brake Pads Any Good?

04-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #67
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
For a complete beginner though, say going on their 1st or 2nd track day, who isn't going to push the car anywhere near as much as more experienced guys, are stock pads ok?
I would say that in that limited circumstance stock pads are fine. Almost all of my first time track students show up on factory pads...just tell your instructor and watch for fade.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 05:04 PM   #68
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
For a complete beginner though, say going on their 1st or 2nd track day, who isn't going to push the car anywhere near as much as more experienced guys, are stock pads ok?
Stock brake pads are NEVER ok on track...even if you are a beginner....also a beginner tends to brake more and longer then more experienced people.
      04-26-2017, 10:01 PM   #69
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Stock brake pads are NEVER ok on track...even if you are a beginner....also a beginner tends to brake more and longer then more experienced people.
Many variables, but at one of our local tracks, AMP, the beginners only get up to 100 on the straight and slow to 40...hell, in Atlanta that's just another day on the interstate.
Appreciate 2
      04-27-2017, 05:52 AM   #70
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prollig View Post
The reviews are done by journalists who are putting similarly new cars in similar price ranges on the track and comparing them "out of the box." I'm sure the M2 is beyond perfect for the track right from the factory if you only toss it around for 10-20 minutes and you're comparing to other cars in the same price range.

We're just talking about tracking our cars long term 2-4 or more days per year and the typical 4 to 5 sessions a day, 20-25 minute each session kind of abuse.

You might wanna double check but the $600 ultimate care does not cover rotors. I asked, they said nope. Maybe because the rotor service doesn't come until after 37k miles? I couldn't find anything to back this up but from what I remember the $600 cost for ultimate care was just pads.

If you've never tracked your car, just take it the way it is and it will be more than enough. I'm still thinking about running stock pads and I'll have a baseline to compare some track pads to next time. But running stock pads as a long term solution to going to the track probably not gonna work too long.
My service rep said rotors ARE included if you pay the $600 to upgrade to wear & tear items.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #71
Prollig
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yes
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #72
mokrunka
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2, 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
My service rep said rotors ARE included if you pay the $600 to upgrade to wear & tear items.
+1 True.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #73
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
For a Complete beginner you will be fine.

As you can see though this won't last long.
One of your peers with all of 5 track days already burned through his pads.

after two weekends one wouldn't be considered a beginner/ novice anymore... so don't get complacent if you start doing more events.
Appreciate 3
AD18347.50
      05-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #74
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
Quote:
The reviews are done by journalists who are putting similarly new cars in similar price ranges on the track and comparing them "out of the box." I'm sure the M2 is beyond perfect for the track right from the factory if you only toss it around for 10-20 minutes and you're comparing to other cars in the same price range.

We're just talking about tracking our cars long term 2-4 or more days per year and the typical 4 to 5 sessions a day, 20-25 minute each session kind of abuse.

You might wanna double check but the $600 ultimate care does not cover rotors. I asked, they said nope. Maybe because the rotor service doesn't come until after 37k miles? I couldn't find anything to back this up but from what I remember the $600 cost for ultimate care was just pads.

If you've never tracked your car, just take it the way it is and it will be more than enough. I'm still thinking about running stock pads and I'll have a baseline to compare some track pads to next time. But running stock pads as a long term solution to going to the track probably not gonna work too long.
I think you can even wait to do the upgrade at the service appointment where they try to charge you for the rotors!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 08:35 AM   #75
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not stranger to track days. I have a fully prepped e36 m3 track car. I've been through all the pads/fluids/tires/camber problems with stock cars.

But this is an M2 right? Are the stock pads up to track duty? How's the fade? Stock brake fluid ok?

I realize camber is not adjustable, do the MPSS outer edge chunk bad?

Thanks
The OEM brakes pads are not up to the task for track use. The pads will melt and leave uneven deposits on the rotors.
Attached Images

06-27-2018, 03:03 AM   #76
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
Same here...XP10/8 with SS brake lines and Motul 600....still had a little brake fade at the end of a long session at RA....factory brakes would suffer a quick and painful death.
What’s the advantage of going XP10 front and XP8 rear?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #77
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Some I have talked to like to use different compounds to change the brake bias a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #78
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

After my first time on track (stock pads/fluid), I noticed extremely bad vibrations on the street. So I bought race pads and scraped the deposits off.

My second time on track, I boiled my brake fluid because my race pads were doing their job so much better.

Now I run both race pads and fluid.
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3688.00
      07-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #79
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Quote:
Some I have talked to like to use different compounds to change the brake bias a bit.
I too was running more aggressive in the front XP10/XP8. I just moved back to XP8/XP8. The xtra front bias was too much in my view. Borderline lockup in front way before the rears. Went through three sets of fronts and the rears are still almost like new. Side effect is that all the extra heat in the fronts instead of distributed has left my front calipers navy blue.
      07-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #80
CrashFL
M2 Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Swap in brake pads and fluid.

Got deposits on my rotors at my first HPDE, but that wasn't a huge deal. On my 3rd day at the track (2nd HPDE), I boiled the brake fluid.

Also, during every session my front tires (PS4S) would start giving up on me. Lowered pressure between sessions but less than 15 min in they'd still get greasy.

Going to buy Pagid RS29 pads based on the many threads I've read on here, and go with Castrol SRF fluid before my next track day. Will also look to add camber plates.

Eventually I'd like to go to a dedicated tire/wheel setup, but really want more seat time and instruction before worrying too much about it.

Any recommendations on websites to buy pads, fluid, plates, etc?
dcmac438.50
      07-09-2018, 12:22 AM   #81
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFL View Post
Swap in brake pads and fluid.

Got deposits on my rotors at my first HPDE, but that wasn't a huge deal. On my 3rd day at the track (2nd HPDE), I boiled the brake fluid.

Also, during every session my front tires (PS4S) would start giving up on me. Lowered pressure between sessions but less than 15 min in they'd still get greasy.

Going to buy Pagid RS29 pads based on the many threads I've read on here, and go with Castrol SRF fluid before my next track day. Will also look to add camber plates.

Eventually I'd like to go to a dedicated tire/wheel setup, but really want more seat time and instruction before worrying too much about it.

Any recommendations on websites to buy pads, fluid, plates, etc?
I got my fluid (Castrol SRF) on Amazon and pads (Pagid RS29) from a vendor on this forum.
Appreciate 1
CrashFL136.50
      07-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #82
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:
I'm not stranger to track days. I have a fully prepped e36 m3 track car. I've been through all the pads/fluids/tires/camber problems with stock cars.

But this is an M2 right? Are the stock pads up to track duty? How's the fade? Stock brake fluid ok?

I realize camber is not adjustable, do the MPSS outer edge chunk bad?

Thanks
My experience is that the stock pads aren't up to track duty (even a technical track like Buttonwillow).

The super fresh, $8/bottle DOT-4 fluid was fine. No fade, but I chunked the pads and scored the rotors. Next time out: DTC-60s (only because DTC-70s were out of stock).
      07-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #83
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

I did my first track day in my M2 in 100deg heat at High Plains Raceway a few weeks ago.

Running stock pads and Motec fluid. Pedal fade wasn't too bad but brake performance got noticeably worse as day went on.

When I'd come into pits after each 20min session the brakes were so hot it was hard to attach my tire gauge to bleed the pressure, it was like putting my hand in an oven.

I've got the ultimate care option so my plan is to swap to either Pagids or PFC08 for next 2 track days, and hopefully my stock pads (and potentially rotors if there's an issue with them) will get warrantied at the first major service.

I noticed my stock tires getting very slushy in my 3rd session, car just felt much, much less nimble towards the end. I'm assuming that's my tires and not my average driving lol. I also had a hell of a time with the TMS... bled the pressure too much after session 1, TMS went off during session 2 and kept me in comfort, and I was basically running not enough pressure for the rest of the day which probably was main factor in aforementioned handling too. Will be more careful about how much I bleed next time.

Long term plan will be coilovers and camber plates but new pads will have to do for now.

Can anyone tell me how exactly I measure for rotor deposits? is it a visual thing or do I need a tool? Do I need to take off the wheel and take out the pad to see?

Also.. how about tire wear... should I be using a tool for this or can I eyeball it?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #84
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
I did my first track day in my M2 in 100deg heat at High Plains Raceway a few weeks ago.

Running stock pads and Motec fluid. Pedal fade wasn't too bad but brake performance got noticeably worse as day went on.

When I'd come into pits after each 20min session the brakes were so hot it was hard to attach my tire gauge to bleed the pressure, it was like putting my hand in an oven.

I've got the ultimate care option so my plan is to swap to either Pagids or PFC08 for next 2 track days, and hopefully my stock pads (and potentially rotors if there's an issue with them) will get warrantied at the first major service.

I noticed my stock tires getting very slushy in my 3rd session, car just felt much, much less nimble towards the end. I'm assuming that's my tires and not my average driving lol. I also had a hell of a time with the TMS... bled the pressure too much after session 1, TMS went off during session 2 and kept me in comfort, and I was basically running not enough pressure for the rest of the day which probably was main factor in aforementioned handling too. Will be more careful about how much I bleed next time.

Long term plan will be coilovers and camber plates but new pads will have to do for now.

Can anyone tell me how exactly I measure for rotor deposits? is it a visual thing or do I need a tool? Do I need to take off the wheel and take out the pad to see?

Also.. how about tire wear... should I be using a tool for this or can I eyeball it?
You would feel a very noticeable shudder if you had pad deposits.

Eyeball the tires. Typically you will get mostly outside shoulder wear on a stock car.
Appreciate 1
dcmac438.50
      07-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #85
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post

Eyeball the tires. Typically you will get mostly outside shoulder wear on a stock car.
Thanks. I had a look last night and I noticed some wear on the outsides. Hopefully when I get coilovers and camber plates done next season it'll stop such aggressive wear in a relatively small amount of track days per season.

I'm getting no brake shudder though, even though there's a ton of brake deposit in the actual drilled holes of the rotor.

The actual rotor surfaces have very faint black lines but I'm guessing not heavy enough to be considered genuine deposits that would affect performance or give vibration...?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 08:24 PM   #86
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post

Thanks. I had a look last night and I noticed some wear on the outsides. Hopefully when I get coilovers and camber plates done next season it'll stop such aggressive wear in a relatively small amount of track days per season.

I'm getting no brake shudder though, even though there's a ton of brake deposit in the actual drilled holes of the rotor.

The actual rotor surfaces have very faint black lines but I'm guessing not heavy enough to be considered genuine deposits that would affect performance or give vibration...?
Don't worry about the drilled rotor holes being plugged by brake dust. It's normal. If you're really anal, take the car to a pressure washer.

I wouldn't worry about faint lines on the rotors. Only if you are feeling a shudder in the front end while braking or can feel a lip on the rotor or deep gauges.