BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Aid with financial decision

10-05-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Aid with financial decision

Hello all. I'll cut right to the chase. My current garage is a 2014 335 6 speed, 1998 1JZ swapped M3, a 2008 CBR600RR and a 2011 Honda Civic for daily driving.

I wanted to sell the 335 and fund the m3 project but I've been finding myself stuck on the idea of grabbing an M2C 6 speed and making that my project car. If I wanted to go that route, I'd be selling everything but the civic for it.

My question really is should I just wait? I've been a bmw owner for a very long time and I know how drastically these cars depreciate over time. I realize the F87 Competition is probably one of the more prime M cars and likely will hold value better than others. I'm just wondering if you all think ditching a 1jz swapped m3 for an M2C would be a good trade off. I saw one lowered with some nice BBSs the other day and I was just blown away at how pretty it was. And a 600ish WHP example would be perfect and not tht hard to achieve where as the 1J is going to cost me quite a bit to get over 550. So I'll end rant here and if anyone wants to chime in with their opinions or thoughts I'd appreciate it! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
The 2019 M2Cs are coming down in price. They are now 2 model years old but there has been zero changes. I would go that route.
      10-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Personally, i'd wait for the depreciation hit on older models out of warranty before trying to hit 600 hp. There's still a bit of premium because cars are still in warranty and getting one just to FBO isn't the best financial decision. Realistically, you're not going to recover any of the costs of modding the car and modified cars are usually worth less if you plan on selling in the future.

Then again cars themselves are awful financial decision so accepting that it's a money pit and just doing what your heart desires might not be a bad idea. YOLO?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
The 2019 M2Cs are coming down in price. They are now 2 model years old but there has been zero changes. I would go that route.
Yeah this is true. At some point I am 100% going with the M2. I'm just trying to figure out when
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpxchewy View Post
Personally, i'd wait for the depreciation hit on older models out of warranty before trying to hit 600 hp. There's still a bit of premium because cars are still in warranty and getting one just to FBO isn't the best financial decision. Realistically, you're not going to recover any of the costs of modding the car and modified cars are usually worth less if you plan on selling in the future.

Then again cars themselves are awful financial decision so accepting that it's a money pit and just doing what your heart desires might not be a bad idea. YOLO?
Lolol agreed. I'm definitely not trying to sell the m2 for 50k in 3-4 years. I just mean if I can wait until depreciation helps me out maybe I should. I feel like a 2019 in another year or 2 will be in the realm of 38-42. So maybe I'll see how prices are affected over the next few months. And you also make a good point, the added value in buying a 2019 is warranty which I would 100% void within a week anyway so... maybe just enjoy the 1j for now and swap over when it makes more sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Quote:

Lolol agreed. I'm definitely not trying to sell the m2 for 50k in 3-4 years. I just mean if I can wait until depreciation helps me out maybe I should. I feel like a 2019 in another year or 2 will be in the realm of 38-42. So maybe I'll see how prices are affected over the next few months. And you also make a good point, the added value in buying a 2019 is warranty which I would 100% void within a week anyway so... maybe just enjoy the 1j for now and swap over when it makes more sense.
Do it. Garage consolidation resulting in one project car can be refreshing. If you are going to do the m2c regardless, I'd just act now so you start enjoying it now. Find a low mileage 19 that may, may have an early dme version. Then just slowly mod and build up to the monster you have in your mind. Now is the time to find your starting car and just wait on the heavier mods.
      10-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #7
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Do it! It's supposed to be a weekend car but I've still managed to put 14k miles in the car and take so many memorable road trips over 2 short years. It's also easy to make relatively safe power as you know since the motor is detuned.
Appreciate 1
Eddien1231849.00
      10-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #8
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

I dont think we can tell you if you prefer a new car with a tune and relative reliability vs a classic car with a neat engine swap that will prob need a lot of tweaks down the road. Both are cool.
Appreciate 1
Eddien1231849.00
      10-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #9
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Do it. Garage consolidation resulting in one project car can be refreshing. If you are going to do the m2c regardless, I'd just act now so you start enjoying it now. Find a low mileage 19 that may, may have an early dme version. Then just slowly mod and build up to the monster you have in your mind. Now is the time to find your starting car and just wait on the heavier mods.
I think you're right. I'll see what 19s are going for. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Kleinacus671.00
      10-06-2020, 01:25 PM   #10
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Love my M2c but would be hard for me to live without a motorcycle. Personally I'd sell all the cars for the M2c and keep the bike.

A car just can't replicate the feeling. Alas, a moto will also kill you quicker.

Are you used to always having a bike or can you live without it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #11
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post
Love my M2c but would be hard for me to live without a motorcycle. Personally I'd sell all the cars for the M2c and keep the bike.

A car just can't replicate the feeling. Alas, a moto will also kill you quicker.

Beautiful bike! No I really really really like the bike. It's the most free I've ever felt besides flying taildraggers. BUT, it's a bad accident waiting to happen. I've already encountered many people who simply just don't pay attention and almost took me out and I've only been riding for less than a year.

I would like to keep the bike tho. I'm only 5k into my CBR so far so I guess I wouldn't really need to sell it.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      10-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #12
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Beautiful bike! No I really really really like the bike. It's the most free I've ever felt besides flying taildraggers. BUT, it's a bad accident waiting to happen. I've already encountered many people who simply just don't pay attention and almost took me out and I've only been riding for less than a year.

I would like to keep the bike tho. I'm only 5k into my CBR so far so I guess I wouldn't really need to sell it.
Thanks and it's true, people don't look out for motorcycles so much. You can get killed still doing everything right. That said I still love it
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #13
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks and it's true, people don't look out for motorcycles so much. You can get killed still doing everything right. That said I still love it
Of course. Very addicting. I think the bike, civic and M2 would be a stellar combo!
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      10-06-2020, 02:03 PM   #14
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Of course. Very addicting. I think the bike, civic and M2 would be a stellar combo!
Yeah, sounds like it. And as others have said, go for early model, low mile M2c if you're going to mod it anyway.

Mine is still under warranty (2019 build) and it's just not worth it for me to touch the engine tune right now (ymmv though)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 02:10 PM   #15
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

DO IT. Get the M2C. You will not miss the others.
Appreciate 0