BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Bump steer problem

10-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
MikeM2UK
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C 2019

Bump steer problem

Hi
Looking for some advice as my steering is awful.
The steering feels vague and I can feel every bump from the road.
Obviously if I’m on a motorway it’s not too bad but I don’t trust it enough to let go of the wheel and rely on it to not veer off course.
It definitely feels like a bump steer problem but don’t how it’s like that because the car is fully standard and the tracking was checked recently.
Anyone experienced anything similar or does anyone know of a common problem with the EPS.
Any help appreciated

Cheers
Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #2
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM2UK View Post
Hi
Obviously if I’m on a motorway it’s not too bad but I don’t trust it enough to let go of the wheel and rely on it to not veer off course.
It definitely feels like a bump steer problem but don’t how it’s like that because the car is fully standard and the tracking was checked recently.
Anyone experienced anything similar or does anyone know of a common problem with the EPS.
Any help appreciated

Cheers
Mike
Sure it's not tire wear?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #3
MikeM2UK
Rep

Alignment results

The tyres don’t look unevenly worn so don’t think it’s that.
I have attached my tracking results
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Hi
Any help appreciated

Cheers
Mike
The M2's suspension is precise and sharp at all times, with a decent about of feedback, especially with coilovers and in sport+.

I'll let someone else comment on the the alignment specs, what I'm used to may be more aggressive than the stock specs.

However, if you're experiencing bump steer, the power steering shouldn't have anything to do with it. Alignment, equipment, suspension setup and geometry are some of the things to be looked at for bump steer.

To be honest this is difficult to diagnose on a forum, best to take it to the shop and they can test drive it to see if the behavior is out of the norm compare to other M2s.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-04-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
MikeM2UK
Rep

So been out driving around today on both good roads and rougher B roads to get a good feel.
Driving on a good flat dual carriage way at speed and can feel a kick in the steering when going over uneven sections of the road so driving at about 60 mph and gently holding the steering wheel you can easily feel the movement in the wheel and the car will drift.
Took the car on our UK B roads and every bump is felt in the steering it kicks either left or right when going over bumps this it what makes me think it’s suffering from bump steer.
This happens in all modes.
Although the tracking looks correct I may still have to get the dealer to take a look as there may be some ware in the bushes possibly.

Last edited by MikeM2UK; 10-04-2020 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Adding more explanation
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #6
MikeM2UK
Rep

In addition I took the wife’s SLK out on the same route and don’t get any movement in the steering when over bumps, now I know the SLK has hydraulic steering but needed to see how much the uneven roads affect steering
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #7
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

What year SLK out of curiosity? First generation SLK's did not have rack and pinion steering, instead using the more basic recirculating ball type steering. Such a system takes up less space but offers very little feedback, even with hydraulic assistance rather than electrical.

If your car is aligned properly, its probably not bump steer, but I agree with the above poster. I'd get someone else to drive the car and get their opinion.

Personally, i want the steering wheel to offer lots of feedback when i'm driving. I want to be able to feel every bump in the road, even if that means they might yank on the wheel a little bit.

But obviously, I'm halfway across the world reading your descriptions, its entirely possible that if I were to actually get in your car, i'd drive for 3 seconds before saying "woah...yeah, that isn't right!"
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
MikeM2UK
Rep

Thanks Moflow
The SLK is a 2009.
I’m going to do some more comparisons tomorrow just wish I had a friend with a BMW of similar build to compare so will definitely take it to dealer ASAP and report back.
Found a post on a different web site that said they had a similar problem that was caused by the steering column so maybe something to mention when I go to dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #9
MikeM2UK
Rep

Problem solved and you wouldn't believe what was causing it.
The original tracking settings were for a series 2 BMW and not for an M2.
I have now had them set for an M2 and the steering is as described by others on the forum. The bump steer type feeling is gone and it drives straight without drifting.
Its still not as firm as im used to with other cars but its not awful to drive as before and feel confident with its steering now.
The setting differences are only minute but what a difference they make.
So pleased its now sorted
Appreciate 2
nioh_lbbm21716.50
Moflow2484.50
      10-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #10
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
I have now had them set for an M2 and the steering is as described by others on the forum. The bump steer type feeling is gone and it drives straight without drifting.
Its still not as firm as im used to with other cars but its not awful to drive as before and feel confident with its steering now.
What?! Wow, good find. I assume this was a coding change? I've never heard of this honestly..crazy.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #11
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that's a serious facepalm for the alignment shop! Glad you got it sorted out though. That "No...no i wasn't crazy after all" is a good feeling too.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #12
MikeM2UK
Rep

I’m as shocked as you are but apparently because the toe is slightly wider, I hope that’s a good way of putting it, the wide tyres will be effected by the road more than a narrower toe.
So even 0.5 of a degree is enough to increase the movement in the column and the electric steering is not programmed to cope with the extra movement where a hydraulic steering will be more absorbent.
Good to know I suppose and may explain things for other M2 owners to understand the complexities of electric steering.
Thank you all for reply’s and Input.
Stay safe
Hopefully this COVID will be gone sooner than later
Cheers all
Mike
Appreciate 3
      10-05-2020, 09:58 PM   #13
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh yeah, too much toe out will make a car very unstable. I had that happen to my shitcan race car after swapping some front suspension pieces for beefier units. The car was very difficult to drive on track, even without the kind of bumpy surfaces you’d see on the street.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 12:54 AM   #14
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Quote:
That's weird because the data sheet says F87 which is the M2. The other 2 series cars from that year are F22 and F23.

Anyway, I was going to comment that only 0.9mm front toe is pretty close to neutral and this can cause some wandering and vague steering. Nudging it up to 2mm or even 3mm toe in would probably make it track straight with a bit more assurance and not be enough to cause significant tyre wear.

It sounds like that is what they did. Glad it worked.
Appreciate 0