09-30-2020, 10:57 PM   #1
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

BMW M QA Testing

Hi everyone,

I originally posted this in the 2020/21 shared your journey thread, but thought i would create a new post in an attempt to get some more detailed information.

Im still yet to take delivery of my Feb ordered M2C 6MT (factory order). I have just recently found out my car will be delivered with over 65km (over 40mi).

The explanation given is my car was randomly selected by BMW M to conduct QA further testing prior to transportation to port in Germany. Therefore went from Leipzig to the BMW M testing facility and then to port. I have asked for a report detailing what was done. Im also bewildered a customer ordered car was selected over dealer stock.

Can anyone provide any insight or information about this testing process and what it involves? Does it actually exist?

Notes - I totally understand these km/mi are very high for a brand new car from factory, im not chasing info on what everyone had km/mi at their delivery, im chasing any specific info / experience have had with new cars being selected for this supposed "QA testing".

With thanks!

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 11:14 PM   #2
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I would personally consider it a positive to know BMW did some additional testing before I take delivery. I also like buying refurbished electronics because they don't have as much risk of initial failure.

But as you said, it would be good to know what that testing is.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 06:03 AM   #3
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

No it is the crew doing donuts on the car deck during long sea voyage. ��
Appreciate 2
Brandt51868.00
Kankles1484.50
      10-01-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

i wonder if your dealership or BMW can give you additional warranty. at least give you some extra service vouchers...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
i wonder if your dealership or BMW can give you additional warranty. at least give you some extra service vouchers...
I would complain and make them give me an extended warranty. Unless they told you beforehand that your car might be pulled for "extra testing" and consequently have higher miles on odometer.

Maybe it was a quality control check. If that's the case, then I'd be even more inclined to push them for ext warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:53 AM   #6
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

I’m not sure about BMW, but what I saw from GM(Hummer H2) & Kia plants, there was no such thing as ‘random QA testing’ that involves driving a vehicle to that extent.
If any vehicles were pulled from between the final inspection(cosmetic) and shipping lot, it was because defects were found and had to be corrected prior to shipping.
I personally would be reluctant to get a brand new car that’s been ‘randomly’ tested for god knows what reasons.
But that’s just me.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Sorry OP, but while this sounds so good that BMW is testing MY car and will ensure its in tip top shape, I have to also wonder why? And why not take another one headed to a dealer unsold if its truly random. My mind would quickly think something happened during transport and they are fixing my car etc.

First, I'd push that my car not be a part of this QA, pick another. However, if they insist that this has to happen, then I'd want evidence of this to ensure its truly a QA. If they can provide me with that, then I'd think the extra 40km were a good trade to ensure long-term reliability and durability. Otherwise, no, I want my new car now.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:24 AM   #8
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Clearly no one from QA in here. A random check, means .....A RANDOM CHECK.

Hope no one posts the fact that sample engines are subject to a 'hot test'. This is where they are put onto a dyno and beaten pretty hard whilst barely a newborn, including taken to max revs under load. This is long before they go into a car on the production line. Same thing for gearboxes.

Having said that, I'm quite surprised the mileage will show on the cluster. They normally wipe additional test miles.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      10-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #9
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post

Hope no one posts the fact that sample engines are subject to a 'hot test'. This is where they are put onto a dyno and beaten pretty hard whilst barely a newborn, including taken to max revs under load. This is long before they go into a car on the production line. Same thing for gearboxes.

Having said that, I'm quite surprised the mileage will show on the cluster. They normally wipe additional test miles.
Many of us here who've bought BMWs for years, and have never head of this random QA selection. While it may be true, I think its ok for us to be a bit skeptical. Also, as you yourself state, these engines/cars are tested/redlined before they leave the factory.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #10
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post

I’m a QE in the automotive industry and no, I haven’t seen a finished car get pulled for a random quality check that involves driving for 40 miles.
And as I said, my experiences are limited to Hummer & Kia plants, so I have no idea what BMW does in their inspection process.

Either way, I would personally ask for a new car with normal miles (<10).
People would be surprised what happens during ‘rework’ after the final assembly.
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3896.50
      10-01-2020, 01:18 PM   #11
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
I’m a QE in the automotive industry and no, I haven’t seen a finished car get pulled for a random quality check that involves driving for 40 miles.
And as I said, my experiences are limited to Hummer & Kia plants, so I have no idea what BMW does in their inspection process.

People would be surprised what happens during ‘rework’ after the final assembly.
So I'm curious now. What all does happen during "rework"? I guess I'm bored today LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #12
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post

I've not witnessed another car pulled for this, but I have seen random cars taken on the test track for dynamic testing. Finished cars can also be randomly selected for the rain room. But as I say, I'm pretty sure they reset the odometer to zero before it joins its siblings in the OUT queue.

Maybe Leipzig doesn't have what they need to test M cars? Or maybe they get pulled for EPA testing or something.

You're right, I'd rather not have a 'tested' car. I was miffed when my 240i had 17 miles on it
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 03:51 PM   #13
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

RelaxX It was merely some "professionals" doing some "quality assurance" testing.. Nothing to be alarmed about..

J/k This GIF never gets old:
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
NathObeaN1307.50
Brandt51868.00
Kankles1484.50
      10-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #14
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Quote:
I would complain and make them give me an extended warranty. Unless they told you beforehand that your car might be pulled for "extra testing" and consequently have higher miles on odometer.

Maybe it was a quality control check. If that's the case, then I'd be even more inclined to push them for ext warranty.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it was, a "quality assurance check". I've asked for a report detailing what was done. If they can provide this then it at least puts my mind at ease that it was a controlled test and not some other event trying to be covered up.

The 65km on its own is not of huge concern to me in the grand scheme of things, but the fact I'm only told 1 week before delivery (when it was on a boat for over 50 days) and the fact I don't really know yet why they would choose a customer ordered car...

I agree my biggest concern is something has specifically happened to this car.

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #15
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaws View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it was, a "quality assurance check". I've asked for a report detailing what was done. If they can provide this then it at least puts my mind at ease that it was a controlled test and not some other event trying to be covered up.

The 65km on its own is not of huge concern to me in the grand scheme of things, but the fact I'm only told 1 week before delivery (when it was on a boat for over 50 days) and the fact I don't really know yet why they would choose a customer ordered car...

I'd ask for the exact reason why, demand the ext warranty and if they can't do that, I'd refuse delivery and place another order.

I agree w/ you that 65 Km doesn't matter, it's more for you to know exactly what happened and if something was in fact wrong, YOU should decide if you want a different car or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #16
mahdeys
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2

Quote:
I'd ask for the exact reason why, demand the ext warranty and if they can't do that, I'd refuse delivery and place another order.

I agree w/ you that 65 Km doesn't matter, it's more for you to know exactly what happened and if something was in fact wrong, YOU should decide if you want a different car or not.
Demand demand demand. Christ, some of you people are the embodiment of Karen.

Your car was selected to get tested. Its a good thing. This happens all the time in the automotive industry from entire vehicles to key switches.

Pay for your car and move on.
Appreciate 1
Brandt51868.00
      10-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #17
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdeys View Post
Quote:

Demand demand demand. Christ, some of you people are the embodiment of Karen.

Your car was selected to get tested. Its a good thing. This happens all the time in the automotive industry from entire vehicles to key switches.

Pay for your car and move on.
My Bad, swap out the word "demand" for "request".

Either way, I'd demand a new car.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:27 PM   #18
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I would “demand” to see the QA reportt on the car. Only after you know what was done can you decide if it effects the value and usability of the car.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #19
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wait is it still on the boat/at port? Or is it at your dealer and you collect next week? If the latter it was 100% the sales manager taking that car home for a few days to have fun. I obviously don't know this 100% but have met 4 different people over the last 15 years in different states who this happened to (3 BMW owners and 1 Porsche owner) on ordered cars. Let's just say they were pissed.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-01-2020, 10:56 PM   #20
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Wait is it still on the boat/at port? Or is it at your dealer and you collect next week? If the latter it was 100% the sales manager taking that car home for a few days to have fun. I obviously don't know this 100% but have met 4 different people over the last 15 years in different states who this happened to (3 BMW owners and 1 Porsche owner) on ordered cars. Let's just say they were pissed.
The car is at the dealer now. They do however have the paperwork from BMW with the delivery km's on it as 65. I have not seen this myself but the dealer had said it was supplied to them with 65km and says so on the paperwork. I dont think the issue is with the dealership itself.

They are chasing more information on why my car was used for testing purposes (marked as a customer sold car) and what it entailed. Im awaiting a response.

Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      10-02-2020, 12:18 AM   #21
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
fuck that. new car.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #22
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
The car is at the dealer now. They do however have the paperwork from BMW with the delivery km's on it as 65. I have not seen this myself but the dealer had said it was supplied to them with 65km and says so on the paperwork. I dont think the issue is with the dealership itself.

They are chasing more information on why my car was used for testing purposes (marked as a customer sold car) and what it entailed. Im awaiting a response.
I think that if the paperwork is legit, then 60km was a small price to pay for a thorough QA. Go enjoy the car, and leave these thoughts behind! The beast will make you forget those 60 kms, because you would have put those on in the first hour ownership.

PS. It rained overnight, and I took full advantage of the wet roads on my "commute" to the office, slipping and sliding the beast everywhere. Perfect time to learn how to slide and control the beast. This car gets better and more fun every day.
Appreciate 1
Sarg33554.50