BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Admin Please remove this post

08-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #67
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldy1 View Post
I had a very similar issue , turned out to be a faulty injector or so i was told, piston was toast and scored the barrel
Jesus! Was it still under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 05:14 PM   #68
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW's m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
Warranty wouldn't pay, ECU manipulated. I was told by the tuner to do an oil change flash to standard and update all modules I did this but they still picked it up. Even after the dealership told me it was a defective part. They won't tell me what they found tho. BMW CS tell me it was the dealership who refused it and the dealership tell me that bmw refused.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #69
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Warranty wouldn't pay, ECU manipulated. I was told by the tuner to do an oil change flash to standard and update all modules I did this but they still picked it up. Even after the dealership told me it was a defective part. They won't tell me what they found tho. BMW CS tell me it was the dealership who refused it and the dealership tell me that bmw refused.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:20 PM   #70
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Ah that's shitty sorry to hear that. Was it a well known tuner? You don't think it had to do with the tune?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:44 AM   #71
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ah that's shitty sorry to hear that. Was it a well known tuner? You don't think it had to do with the tune?
Yes bud was a well known tuner and it is quite possible that we car run spot on standard not a problem ever. I built the engine now tho
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 01:20 AM   #72
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
I had a very similar issue , turned out to be a faulty injector or so i was told, piston was toast and scored the barrel
Quote:
Quote:
BMW CS tell me it was the dealership who refused it and the dealership tell me that bmw refused.
I ran into this issue with an Acura RSX, the dealer said it was the CPO warranty was denying the claim and the CPO adjuster said that the dealer is refusing the work..

I suspected a little of both because the dealer suspiciously asked me; "Why didn't you buy your car from us" before giving me the bum rush 🤨

And then warranty adjuster told me that the dealer said they're refusing the work but BTW, why did I have aftermarket rotors on (they weren't) 🤨.

I concluded that the dealer didn't want to do a transmission job, for warranty flat book rate and the warranty company just backed their play.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck with a $600 diagnoses fee and a broken car, with the gearbox in the hatch.

That's why now when I get a chance to milk any of these companies, I the play the roll because when they get the opportunity, they bend you over, with no lube.
Appreciate 2
tranck499.00
boldy153.00
      08-05-2020, 05:54 AM   #73
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

The way I understand it is that warranty repairs go by the BMW book rate for hours....which is usually grossly underestimated. That's why the deal ends up paying some of the cost sometimes. I'd be curious to see what percentage they actually eat though. It can't be that high or else they'd alway fight claims.

On the other hand, if a dealer is denying my claim they sure as hell aren't getting my business anymore.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      08-05-2020, 07:24 AM   #74
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing OP - hope you find a less painful solution.

What damage might have been done to No1 cylinder in the initial incident with the Dinan piggyback that could have led to the later problems?

Also, OP: How did they come up with the Dinan diagnosis? too much boost and not enough fuel as a 'signature' somewhere in the DME, or?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 07:45 AM   #75
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Interesting read. Thanks for sharing OP - hope you find a less painful solution.

What damage might have been done to No1 cylinder in the initial incident with the Dinan piggyback that could have led to the later problems?

Also, OP: How did they come up with the Dinan diagnosis? too much boost and not enough fuel as a 'signature' somewhere in the DME, or?
I highly doubt a piggyback would have the ability to cause that kind of damage by only gently fooling the sensors to mildly elevate the boost. It must've been from the ECU tune (change in the air/fuel ratio and other parameters). But maybe someone could shed more light on this.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #76
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Possibly, but something happened with the piggy bag. And subsequently, No1 appears to have been suffering a lot more pre-ignition than the rest, despite running a reputable tune and a bigger intercooler. Hence the question.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 04:02 PM   #77
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I have a hard time seeing that the Dinan Sport caused this issue seeing that over 10000 miles passed without an issue after it was removed. Not until 4000 miles of using the BM3 did the catastrophic issue happen and prior to that event, a super knock issue occurred, breaking the spark plug. It sounds like there could be an injector issue, but these cars are quite sensitive to issues with injectors. I think the likely scenario is the fuel pump crashing under high/heavy load on a hot day and causing a lean condition and ultimately a very dangerous knock event. All it takes is a major event over the course of less than a second to destroy a piston and/or rod bearing.

We know the N55 in M2 is already pushing near it's a fuel pump limits in stock form. We also know that the fuel pump starts crashing near 400whp. It could simply be that this fuel pump was a bit weak or the perfect set of unfortunate circumstances occurred.
      08-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #78
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

To be clear, I don't think it caused the issue, as that was - as you say - a long time before the events that destroyed the engine. I was wondering if the initial event did something that then made the subsequent events more likely. The reason i asked was that the dealership mentioned Dinan on apparently no information. Spurious correlations are definitely not causation though. HTH
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 04:29 PM   #79
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

This is terrible I feel for you, my worst fear! Though I've not seen too many reports it's making me think twice about stage two even though will be FBO in the coming weeks.

Maybe stage 0 or 1 for me!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #80
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I ran into this issue with an Acura RSX, the dealer said it was the CPO warranty was denying the claim and the CPO adjuster said that the dealer is refusing the work..

I suspected a little of both because the dealer suspiciously asked me; "Why didn't you buy your car from us" before giving me the bum rush 🤨

And then warranty adjuster told me that the dealer said they're refusing the work but BTW, why did I have aftermarket rotors on (they weren't) 🤨.

I concluded that the dealer didn't want to do a transmission job, for warranty flat book rate and the warranty company just backed their play.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck with a $600 diagnoses fee and a broken car, with the gearbox in the hatch.

That's why now when I get a chance to milk any of these companies, I the play the roll because when they get the opportunity, they bend you over, with no lube.
I had a 700 pound bill 2 to change the injector of them
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #81
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I have a hard time seeing that the Dinan Sport caused this issue seeing that over 10000 miles passed without an issue after it was removed. Not until 4000 miles of using the BM3 did the catastrophic issue happen and prior to that event, a super knock issue occurred, breaking the spark plug. It sounds like there could be an injector issue, but these cars are quite sensitive to issues with injectors. I think the likely scenario is the fuel pump crashing under high/heavy load on a hot day and causing a lean condition and ultimately a very dangerous knock event. All it takes is a major event over the course of less than a second to destroy a piston and/or rod bearing.

We know the N55 in M2 is already pushing near it's a fuel pump limits in stock form. We also know that the fuel pump starts crashing near 400whp. It could simply be that this fuel pump was a bit weak or the perfect set of unfortunate circumstances occurred.
Unlikely to be a hot day, because the ecu would be pulling timing and the hot air means less air density thus having and overall less strain on the hpfp. Most likely event to tank the hpfp is during a cold day.

My guess to what happened to op was the tune was way too aggressive and constantly causing feedback knock and actual knock at all times, and it was cylinder 1 that for whatever reason took the most damage. Maybe carbon build ups caused hot spots in that cylinder which could explain why it was the one that had the most knock and plug damage. Or it could be the injectors. But likely the tune was way too aggressive.

If op were to data log it would likely be apparent if not enough fuel was sprayed into cylinder 1 due to injector issues because that cylinder would run hotter and have more timing pulls due to knock. it would have also showed if the tune was too aggressive and overall saved the engine. The lesson is to always data log your car before flashing a tune to see if your local fuel quality is good enough to even support a tune, and then log after tuning. Also start with the least aggressive map first and move your way to more aggressive maps.

But if at all possible run a custom tune.
      08-05-2020, 09:26 PM   #82
NBE23M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. After the dash warming came up, I drove for approx 2 miles to get off the highway. The car never made any noises or odd sounds. It was just a noticeable loss of power and white smoke coming from under the hood when I finally got the vehicle off the road. I started it one time after I put the factory tune back on it and it wasn’t making any noise but it obviously didn’t sound normal due to the issue with cylinder 1.
I’ve found 2 M2 rebuilt short blocks but they’re in Europe somewhere. Might not be worth the cost to ship it. Still a wait and see at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:43 PM   #83
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
To be clear, I don't think it caused the issue, as that was - as you say - a long time before the events that destroyed the engine. I was wondering if the initial event did something that then made the subsequent events more likely. The reason i asked was that the dealership mentioned Dinan on apparently no information. Spurious correlations are definitely not causation though. HTH
They might have said dinan because that's just what they would call any tune they detected. They may not have an easy way if knowing what tune was on a car and whomever talks to the customer might know very little about the tuning world. every tune to them is "dinan"
Appreciate 0