BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Admin Please remove this post

07-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #45
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
OP, sorry to hear about your motor. I've always thought to myself if anything catastrophic happens to my motor, I'll move to an LS motor conversion. Total cost probably isn't far off of your new N55. And it's been done:
Attached Images

07-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #46
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Maybe you guys aren't aware, but the latest version of ISTA (4.24.x) now auto flags cars with "aftermarket software" without any manual intervention. I have seen at least two instances of this being reported. One on the instances was on the F80 forum and then the thread mysteriously disappeared. The other I saw the other day by this person (not me) in a Reddit group:
I'm surprised this wasn't the case already - but it was only a matter of time.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 02:21 PM   #47
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
You know I keep thinking about this and something does not add up, especially since bm3 makes absolutely fantastic ots maps and op's m2 is really low mileage.

1) are you sure you flashed the correct map?
2) where are your data logs? If you do not have any at all, that likely is the problem. No data logs and running an ots map blind = huge Chance of blown motor.
3) how was your hpfp performing? It could have been your hpfp being super weak or you had a bad hpfp that couldn't meet the pressure demands resulting in low fuel rail pressure and therefore a misfire. This is the most common cause of a misfire on the F series n55 that I can think of, factoring in that all your other parts are in good working order.

Again data logs are needed...

4) did you press the coil tab all the way down? And ensure the connector was plugged in properly?

A little bit more info would be nice op, we are all trying to help you out in diagnosing this issue and point you in the cheapest path for repair.
I keep thinking something doesn't add up either. I really doubt that this is a case of a bad tune since BM3 has had an amazing track record. I keep thinking maybe it was bad fuel/LSPI or perhaps from lugging a manual turbo engine (maybe the previous owner)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #48
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
I keep thinking something doesn't add up either. I really doubt that this is a case of a bad tune since BM3 has had an amazing track record. I keep thinking maybe it was bad fuel/LSPI or perhaps from lugging a manual turbo engine (maybe the previous owner)
Yeah same here.

Edit - I should also say that it is unlikely to be LSPI unless:
1) he was using aftermarket oil with super high levels of Calcium, but even then oil induced LSPI because of oil is not common, especially if it is LL01 approved.

2) Had super high IAT's from heat soaking and then goes WOT, pretty hard to see since he has a giant CSF intercooler.

3) Really bad gas - most probable especially if combined with 2, but the car should have adapted for the lower than normal octane unless he just flashed the car and resetted the adaptations and gave it full throttle right away before the car could adapt.

Last edited by F87source; 07-24-2020 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #49
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Maybe you guys aren't aware, but the latest version of ISTA (4.24.x) now auto flags cars with "aftermarket software" without any manual intervention. I have seen at least two instances of this being reported. One on the instances was on the F80 forum and then the thread mysteriously disappeared. The other I saw the other day by this person (not me) in a Reddit group:
I always knew this was a thing. There was no way bmw did not have the tech to find these things out.
      07-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #50
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Sounds like a bad engine in the first place honestly.
      07-24-2020, 10:23 PM   #51
NBE23M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Low mileage M2 engine, $5,000 - https://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi
I actually spoke to the company (carguts) that has this engine. It was totaled out due to an electrical fire in the engine bay. Not sure if I would trust it. They have a 90 day warranty on the engine but to me the fact that the car was on fire bothers me. For all I know the owner set the car on fire because he blew the engine.

I’m leaning towards having a machine shop rebuild the engine or at least tear it down to see if it can be repaired.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 10:48 PM   #52
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBE23M2 View Post
I actually spoke to the company (carguts) that has this engine. It was totaled out due to an electrical fire in the engine bay. Not sure if I would trust it. They have a 90 day warranty on the engine but to me the fact that the car was on fire bothers me. For all I know the owner set the car on fire because he blew the engine.

I’m leaning towards having a machine shop rebuild the engine or at least tear it down to see if it can be repaired.
Put a bore scope down cylinder 1, if the cylinder walls are clean chances are it can be rebuilt.

I wouldn't let just any machine shop rebuild it though.
      07-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #53
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

N55 I believe is not meant for stage one until you upgrade the fuel pump. There are a few companies that have kits for this. You most likely had some detenation from loss of fuel pressure.

There was a thread in the F80 M3 forums that a bmw tech posted a picture of BMW ISTA software auto detecting a BM3 tune. Not sure why it got mysteriously deleted. It makes it look like this forum is shady to protect the vendor to make more $$$ for vendor advertising. Its a shame.

Last edited by chmura; 07-25-2020 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #54
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
N55 I believe is not meant for stage one until you upgrade the fuel pump. There are a few companies that have kits for this. You most likely had some detention for loss of fuel pressure.

There was a thread in the F80 M3 forums that a bmw tech posted a picture of BMW ISTA software auto detecting a BM3 tune. Not sure why it got mysteriously deleted. It makes it look like this forum is shady to protect the vendor to make more $$$ for sponserships. Its a shame.
BM3 Stage 1 does not require a fuel pump. It gives modest gains but still relies on the DME's ability to pull timing when needed in high load/high temp situations. Stage 2 in colder weather will cause issues at high load on stock pump.

I saw that ISTA blurb reposted in reddit. I can believe it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 09:53 PM   #55
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

You would strip the block and add your parts to it anyhow.
Appreciate 1
gphung193.50
      07-25-2020, 09:56 PM   #56
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

X4M has the same engine (different turbo, likely due to packaging)

https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi they start at $6,500.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #57
M2driverWV
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

https://www.reddit.com/r/BmwTech/com...tent=post_body
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #58
DeadRabbitM2
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M

OP I am very sorry to hear about your situation. However, I must admit I am a bit taken back because BM3 does not have any issues and I been around them for a while. I am indifferent to them unlike many of the fanboys you may find on Bimmerpost, but there has to be more to this situation.

Your best bet is to try and rebuild the motor if it is not too far gone.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:12 PM   #59
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

The story is to remove your dinan piggyback before getting oil change next time?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 11:31 PM   #60
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
The story is to remove your dinan piggyback before getting oil change next time?
Really depends on your dealership. Many of them don't care to check or to flag during regular visits for simple maintenance
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #61
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Well as mentioned above, word has it that BMW has started automatically scanning for any DME tamper via tunes/etc without actually needing the associate to explicitly do so, even if you've removed your tune/device before visiting. 🤷🏻*♂️
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #62
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gphung View Post
Well as mentioned above, word has it that BMW has started automatically scanning for any DME tamper via tunes/etc without actually needing the associate to explicitly do so, even if you've removed your tune/device before visiting. 🤷🏻*♂️
Great. Saves me time from switching to the factory tune lol
Appreciate 2
gphung193.50
MLJR235116.50
      07-28-2020, 03:48 PM   #63
NBE23M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2

Picked up car from dealer today and had it towed to Eurocharged, Cincinnati. We will see what needs replaced and what they think happened. I’ll keep you posted. 4 weeks or so they state to have the engine pulled and stripped down. I’ll make a decision at that point to either try to find a used engine or build a beast of an engine.

How much horsepower can the stock clutch and manual transmission handle for 80k miles?

Last edited by NBE23M2; 07-28-2020 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 2
      07-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #64
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Picked up car from dealer today and had it towed to Eurocharged, Cincinnati. We will see what needs replaced and what they think happened. I’ll keep you posted. 4 weeks or so they state to have the engine pulled and stripped down. I’ll make a decision at that point to either try to find a used engine or build a beast of an engine.

How much horsepower can the stock clutch and manual transmission handle for 80k miles?
The stock manual transmission and clutch on the m2 which is also shared with the m4 has been shown to take up to 700 wtq without an issue. So you really shouldn't have an issue.

Remember torque is the real factor that breaks parts.
Megator517.50
      08-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #65
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

What's done is done and I think this is a bit of a fluke given the number of modded EWG N55s running around with more power.

My question is where is this oil leakage coming from on top of the motor? That's serious.

Given the breakage of the first plug in cylinder 1, my guess is this motor was routinely having some significant detonation/LSPI or similar in the cylinder. The motor had a serious super knock event that was so dramatic that it hammered the piston rod bearing through the oil film thus spinning a rod bearing (hence the metal in the oil) and broke a ringland too (hence the low compression).

Does the motor run as is? If so, is it knocking?

Metal in the oil is no good because that means even if the block was good, you'd need to disassemble everything and have all oil passages cleaned to reduce the chance of lingering metal to cause a spun rod bearing.

If you're sourcing a used N55, make damn sure it came out of an M2. The M2 has an upgraded oiling system compared to all other N55s.
Poochie9099.00
      08-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #66
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW's m2

I had a very similar issue , turned out to be a faulty injector or so i was told, piston was toast and scored the barrel
Attached Images

Appreciate 0