BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Dealership install of Fabspeed Sportcat downpipe will void Warranty?

07-11-2020, 01:46 PM   #23
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
True, I would be worried if catless downpipe but this is catted so I'm not worried.
It's still illegal in most states, and it's also illegal federally in the US. They don't say "you can use any cat you want on the car as long as it has a cat." The laws say "you cannot tamper with the factory emissions system." Replacing a major component (the cat) with a non-factory part is generally considered "tampering."

I understand catless systems, because then you tune and then you make more power. I understand wanting more power.

I don't understand HFCs, especially without doing a tune. Unless you tune the car, you're not going to make much more power, and even if you do tune it, there isn't a lot of power to make with a cat in place.

The factory cat is sufficient to not restrict flow with the factory tune.
A HFC isn't going to do much for you without a tune... but a tune is definitely going to void your warranty.

Just looking for a little more noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 01:57 PM   #24
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
See, that's usually what people change the catback / muffler system for...

(I "get" more noise because I also want a little bit more... I'm considering Remus. Not gonna screw with emissions components just for sound.)
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 02:27 PM   #25
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Yes a little more noise and also a little better turbo spooling/decreased turbo lag
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #26
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:

(I "get" more noise because I also want a little bit more... I'm considering Remus. Not gonna screw with emissions components just for sound.)
I'm just the opposite, I love the sound of the car, just would like to have a bit more...and not for $3500+, so the Fabspeed SC + Dinan res delete gave me power at all rpm's, and increased sound for $1,175 total (I bought both used, install was $100 at a local shop).
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #27
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
He certainly could have been talking out of his ass, but I don't care, as long as I have it in writing (and I do) that the Fabspeed sport cat and Dinan resonator delete wasn't going to hurt my warranty, then I'm good.

I encourage everyone to do the same with their dealers, meaning get email verification so it's in writing.
They can't automatically "void" your entire warranty but any powertrain issue they can and will use that against you. Also, BMW USA has the final say usually for major power train warranty issues. A dealer can't override BMW's official warranty statement with just an email.

Small chance you'll actually have any issues where it comes up, but if so good luck.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50
      07-11-2020, 04:31 PM   #28
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
They can't automatically "void" your entire warranty but any powertrain issue they can and will use that against you. Also, BMW USA has the final say usually for major power train warranty issues. A dealer can't override BMW's official warranty statement with just an email.

Small chance you'll actually have any issues where it comes up, but if so good luck.
+1

the dealer ship will just fire that guy and say he has no authority to make the final decision and was misinformed. So whether you have it in writing or not it means nothing as BMW HQ makes the call.
      07-11-2020, 04:41 PM   #29
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

I'm just the opposite, I love the sound of the car, just would like to have a bit more...and not for $3500+, so the Fabspeed SC + Dinan res delete gave me power at all rpm's, and increased sound for $1,175 total (I bought both used, install was $100 at a local shop).
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
More to do with the ability of the physical wastegate to manage the increased flow on the stock tune. This can usually be tuned out depending on how flow increase there is (if too much than required external wastegate control with larger port).
He certainly could have been talking out of his ass, but I don't care, as long as I have it in writing (and I do) that the Fabspeed sport cat and Dinan resonator delete wasn't going to hurt my warranty, then I'm good.

I encourage everyone to do the same with their dealers, meaning get email verification so it's in writing.
You're tampering with a federally mandated smog control device, that's a slam dunk warranty denial from BMW AG. You know, the ones that actually pays for the repairs and by extension, the paycheck of genius who's spreading misinformation.
BTW, he'll probably be gone and working for Audi, by the time you have to make a serious claim, employee turnaround is pretty common in the automotive service industry.

Why do think a "sports cat" performs better than the stock unit?

Is it because BMW secretly hates us so they stifles the exhaust flow, for spite or maybe the high-flow cat is circumventing the set emission standards and making end-run around the mandatory level of scrubbing.

I'm not some tree-hugger; as far as I see, the world is already fvcked, we're just merely adding to it, so you do whatever you please.

However, let's be real here; when it comes to BMW AG paying for the repairs of anything related to the drivetrain, having an aftermarket catalytic converter installed doesn't work in your favor, especially since there is already an 8 year or 80,000 mile federally mandatory warranty, on the stock catalyst, so you really have no excuse for interfering with it, while still covered under the manufacture's factory warranty.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-11-2020, 05:30 PM   #30
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
You're tampering with a federally mandated smog control device, that's a slam dunk warranty denial from BMW AG. You know, the ones that actually pays for the repairs and by extension, the paycheck of genius who's spreading misinformation.
BTW, he'll probably be gone and working for Audi, by the time you have to make a serious claim, employee turnaround is pretty common in the automotive service industry.

Why do think a "sports cat" performs better than the stock unit?

Is it because BMW secretly hates us so they stifles the exhaust flow, for spite or maybe the high-flow cat is circumventing the set emission standards and making end-run around the mandatory level of scrubbing.

I'm not some tree-hugger; as far as I see, the world is already fvcked, we're just merely adding to it, so you do whatever you please.

However, let's be real here; when it comes to BMW AG paying for the repairs of anything related to the drivetrain, having an aftermarket catalytic converter installed doesn't work in your favor, especially since there is already an 8 year or 80,000 mile federally mandatory warranty, on the stock catalyst, so you really have no excuse for interfering with it, while still covered under the manufacture's factory warranty.
^^^This. When BMW asks why you replaced a perfectly good catalytic converter what's the response? "Power increase?" which will immediately be met with "Engine was not designed for additional power which led to increased stress and XXX failing". Case closed at that point.

Even if you did try and take it to court at that point not only would it take months to resolve your chances of winning are near zero.

It's really easy to avoid all of this. Have an independent shop put it on/take it off before you bring it into BMW dealer for issues. We're trying to do you a solid favor here based on a lot of previous experience with new cars under warranty and dealership issues.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      07-13-2020, 02:26 PM   #31
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:

Already have M performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 09:27 PM   #32
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Don't ever go to a dealer looking to get aftermarket stuff installed. Especially if you're looking for them to honor a warranty if something goes wrong. Always have an indy do the work or install it yourself.

If you ever have a problem with the car that could be remotely construed as being related to aftermarket parts, you need to return to stock before dropping it off. Don't get it towed there and pray to your deity they will be kind, tow the shit home and put everything back properly.

Like was said earlier, even mod friendly dealers will throw you under the bus if something ever happens. My dealer was moderately mod friendly, but even for the complimentary servicing I always took JB4 off and never spoke of any kind of modifications.
Appreciate 1
SM2731.50
      07-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #33
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
True, I would be worried if catless downpipe but this is catted so I'm not worried.
Catted or not, it is still illegal in Washington.
They don't test in Washington any longer

Even if you sell the car nobody will know and nobody will care
      07-19-2020, 02:06 PM   #34
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

Just take it in for a tuneup at any reputable shop and they will report you. They do care a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 02:32 PM   #35
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:

Just take it in for a tuneup at any reputable shop and they will report you. They do care a lot.

Nothing personal

I think you are simply telling yourself stories

As long as there is no engine check light there's not an issue

And without a paycheck attached they will not waste their time regardless
      07-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #36
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:

Nothing personal

Not true. I have known people that got busted. Easy to see a downpipe. Also extremely hard to find someone who will install it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 05:48 PM   #37
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:

Nothing personal

Not true. I have known people that got busted. Easy to see a downpipe. Also extremely hard to find someone who will install it.
There is no emissions testing is Washington

I am strictly talking about a catted downpipe

If there are no codes then no issues

07-19-2020, 06:24 PM   #38
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:

I guess you never saw this thread: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1552298
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 06:55 PM   #39
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:

I guess you never saw this thread: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1552298
I do my own installations, so I am not sure what your point is

And in Washington state there is zero testing regardless moving forward
      07-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #40
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:

Let’s be honest here. You can easily see a down pipe. So who are you trying to fool. Go in for dealer maintenance and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 08:14 PM   #41
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:

Let's be honest here. You can easily see a down pipe. So who are you trying to fool. Go in for dealer maintenance and see what happens.

You're way to paranoid

I have a 15 year relationship

I know the master tech personally

As well as several other key employees and the General Manager
Attached Images