BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Disabling Active Sound Design ASD

07-08-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
Wattens
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2, 4C, Bentley GT

Disabling Active Sound Design ASD

Hey guys,
I’m posting this just incase it helps others out.

On the forums both here and Facebook groups there was a lot of mixed messages about disabling ASD will also disable burbles.

Now this is somewhat true, PTF and literally everybody agrees that turning off ASD via BM3 will remove your burbles as well, but I had mixed messages about disabling ASD with Bimmercode, some people said they lost burbles and most said they kept burbles.

I took the plunge last night and disabled my ASD with Bimmercode, started the car up and drive to the supermarket. Unfortunately my burbles had completely disappeared.
Disappointed I bought my groceries and was thinking along the lines of “I’ll try rolling back the bimmercode settings to a previous saved one” then if that doesn’t work I’ll “reflash with BM3”, “disconnect the battery overnight” etc...

On the way back home (about 20 minutes later) the burbles magically came back and stayed.

If you use Bimmercode to deactivate ASD, just give it a longer drive and it should return.

You can also disconnect a wire or something on the amplifier which is meant to be the best way to disable active sound, but it’s a pain to do, bimmercode is much easier.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 11:35 PM   #2
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Good stuff - thanks for sharing. How are you finding the car now without ASD?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 07:27 AM   #3
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

For what it's worth, physically bypassing the ASD with a harness isn't really difficult at all.

Takes about 15-30 minutes to do it. Definitely the way to go

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Disabling ASD via coding shouldn't affect the burbles.

Burbles = a function of ECU tuning
ASD = a separate module in the car, and the "software" disable is generally just changing the coding on that module so it "mismatches" the car and thus shuts itself down (because it doesn't know what sounds to produce).

The actual burbling (from the ECU tune) has various parameters that need to be met before they'll happen. Car won't burble until it's reached proper operating temp, cat is fully warmed up, driver has chosen a drive mode that calls for "burbles," etc.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 3
Conissah1576.00
///M TOWN16342.00
      07-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #5
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
you should try it yourself with and without. I too did this w bimmercode and it's incredibly easy.

for me, I prefer ASD on, but realize i'm in the minority. importantly, i do NOT want to spend money on exhausts, so for me, ASD is my own personal exhaust without having to spend $ and piss off neighbors / be louder on road.

YMMV :-)
Appreciate 3
Poochie9104.50
jefe2000739.50
      07-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #6
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
Quote:
ASD is my own personal exhaust without having to spend $ and piss off neighbors / be louder on road.
This is exactly why I love & appreciate ASD but that's fighting words, in these parts..

ASD adds a bombastic aural feedback and makes it sound like a race car but it is only limited to inside the cabin.

I'm certainly not one draw attention to myself or my vehicle, especially since I'm always doing some kind of dirt but love the sound of a sonorous exhaust note, as much as the next guy and ASD seems to be the perfect compromise. Not to mention, no one of my passengers ever has yet to tell me it sounds fake..

I can't wait until virtual sex becomes a thing so I can finally forsake women j/k
Appreciate 4
      07-11-2020, 08:10 PM   #7
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I guess you could call it "feedback," but to me it doesn't track what the engine is actually doing at the time. Or, at the least, it masks it. Which isn't really feedback in my book.

But as is often said, to each his own...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 02:09 AM   #8
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattens View Post
Hey guys,
I’m posting this just incase it helps others out.

On the forums both here and Facebook groups there was a lot of mixed messages about disabling ASD will also disable burbles.

Now this is somewhat true, PTF and literally everybody agrees that turning off ASD via BM3 will remove your burbles as well, but I had mixed messages about disabling ASD with Bimmercode, some people said they lost burbles and most said they kept burbles.

I took the plunge last night and disabled my ASD with Bimmercode, started the car up and drive to the supermarket. Unfortunately my burbles had completely disappeared.
Disappointed I bought my groceries and was thinking along the lines of “I’ll try rolling back the bimmercode settings to a previous saved one” then if that doesn’t work I’ll “reflash with BM3”, “disconnect the battery overnight” etc...

On the way back home (about 20 minutes later) the burbles magically came back and stayed.

If you use Bimmercode to deactivate ASD, just give it a longer drive and it should return.

You can also disconnect a wire or something on the amplifier which is meant to be the best way to disable active sound, but it’s a pain to do, bimmercode is much easier.
Any idea which wire to disconnect?
      07-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial328i View Post
Any idea which wire to disconnect?
You need to purchase a jumper harness.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:53 PM   #10
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone actually regret disabling ASD? Haven't read of anyone reverting back to turn it on - still weighing up whether the car will be too quiet without it!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:13 AM   #11
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Anyone actually regret disabling ASD? Haven't read of anyone reverting back to turn it on - still weighing up whether the car will be too quiet without it!
No, in my case with MPE it amplified the 2800-3200RPM droning.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #12
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll never go back to ASD as long as I own my vehicle.
Appreciate 1
Conissah1576.00
      07-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #13
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Quote:
I'll never go back to ASD as long as I own my vehicle.
You don't find it too quiet now without ASD on the stock exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:57 AM   #14
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

I might be the minority here as well. After I had installed my Dinan Exhaust with Resonator delete, i turned off ASD with BimmerCode (FYI I did not lose burble).

However, I found myself always opening the window to enjoy the exhaust sound as with the window rolled up, muted most of the exhaust noise. I found it "too" quiet with the windows up, so I turned the ASD back on and haven't looked back.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:17 AM   #15
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

Quote:
Just pull the fuse for the stereo (i believe) and ASD will be off. Drive around for a bit and you'll know if it's too quiet.

I disabled mine via harness and have never looked back. ASD was way too drone-y in sport. It seems like the kind of thing that would be fun once in a while to sound like I have a race car but I don't want that all the time - especially when just cruising at 2500-3000 RPMs
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #16
Mdkcrf250r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I coded ASD off and just recently coded it back on. With it off the car is too quiet and seems like something is missing. Also, do not purchase that stupid jumper. It's the same price as bimmercode and bimmercode lets you turn on/off a bunch of other things and doesn't need to be physically installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #17
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not at all. It sounds more natural and you don't have that engine noise coming from all around you. Engine sounds in the front and exhaust sound from the back like it should be.

I've since put on a Fabspeed sport cat and the exhaust tone and level is perfect.

There was a thread quite a while ago on this. An overwhelming majority of those that eliminated ASD loved it and wouldn't go back.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2020, 02:49 AM   #18
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Not at all. It sounds more natural and you don't have that engine noise coming from all around you. Engine sounds in the front and exhaust sound from the back like it should be.

I've since put on a Fabspeed sport cat and the exhaust tone and level is perfect.

There was a thread quite a while ago on this. An overwhelming majority of those that eliminated ASD loved it and wouldn't go back.
Are you running stock exhaust with that set up?

If so how do you like it?

Much louder?
      07-19-2020, 07:02 AM   #19
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Great to hear. From the many comments on the ASD topic - definitely sounds like most are in the ASD off camp even with the stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #20
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Are you running stock exhaust with that set up?

If so how do you like it?

Much loader?
Yes, stock exhaust. Definitely louder than stock but not in an obnoxious way. To me it's perfect, no drone and a great exhaust note. I have no desire to change anything else on the exhaust.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16342.00
      07-21-2020, 04:04 AM   #21
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
The thing with ASD is that theoretically, it's also supposed to help with "bad" noises. The whole point of fancy acoustic modeling and these modules is that they are supposed to allow the engineers to tune out bad resonances or noises that they don't want to be heard.

If it actually worked that way, I'd leave it on... but it doesn't, at least not to my ears. Switching to Sport mode adds an immediate (and really annoying) drone around 3k RPM, which is typical highway speed for me in 6th gear. Since I almost always drive in Sport mode, and my commute was like 80% highway, it was really annoying.

Why the heck they thought it would be a good idea to add a flat constant droning noise is entirely beyond me. It sure as heck isn't cancelling anything negative, and instead it's just adding fake noise that I don't want to hear. That's why mine is coded out.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2021, 02:56 AM   #22
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

has anyone been able to use Bimmercode to turn ASD off.... then decide to turn it back on using Bimmercode again? I heard once you've turned it off, it won't go back on again.

Can I use the enet cable w/ adaptor, the same used for BM3 to connect w/ Bimmercode?
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0