BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > New M Petition

06-17-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
///Cardia
///M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: N55 F87

Hey guys, I created a petition for the new M's not to have that ridiculous grille that the 4 series has. Please sign and send to all BMW Enthusiast that you know! ///M Power!

http://chng.it/5DbFrMGpGG

The point of the petition will show BMW (if enough signatures are gathered), that the M lineage actually matters. Changing the front fascia is actually a huge deal for true enthusiast.

If you don't care, so be it. Just providing the opportunity to those that do for their voice to be heard!
Appreciate 4
L2794.00
Colinv64015.00
seis-speed2430.50
M3_Legend352.00
      06-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Cardia View Post
Hey guys, I created a petition for the new M's not to have that ridiculous grille that the 4 series has. Please sign and send to all BMW Enthusiast that you know! ///M Power!

Petition won't help you for this generation. The refresh is probably already in the tank. Maybe you'll get lucky on the next gen and the grill will be a tiny slot.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #3
///Cardia
///M Power
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Quote:

Petition won't help you for this generation. The refresh is probably already in the tank. Maybe you'll get lucky on the next gen and the grill will be a tiny slot.
Understood, please sign if you can.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 07:10 PM   #4
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

dude, who cares? dont like it, dont buy it. so many automobiles to choose from.
Appreciate 1
Aronis2270.00
      06-17-2020, 07:38 PM   #5
///Cardia
///M Power
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
dude, who cares? dont like it, dont buy it. so many automobiles to choose from.
Don't like it, don't sign. That simple... It was created for enthusiast. Trust me, I'm not the minority.
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2020, 07:44 PM   #6
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Don't like it, don't sign. That simple... It was created for enthusiast. Trust me, I'm not the minority.

lol. you think bmw gives two shits about a few people who dont like grills?

I got news for ya buddy....
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
///Cardia
///M Power
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Quote:

lol. you think bmw gives two shits about a few people who dont like grills?

I got news for ya buddy....
I'm sure you're right. But it doesn't hurt providing a platform for the majority of us M enthusiast to be heard.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

The only power that we don't have, is the power to change the grill.

I have seriously considered not buying that generation of car simply due to the grill. However, Don't knock until you try it. This new grill was first implemented on the new X5 and X7. On these larger vehicles the styling works. It doesn't look fantastic but it looks good enough where I'm seriously considered buying a X7 M sport.
      06-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #9
///Cardia
///M Power
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
The only power that we don't have, is the power to change the grill.

I have seriously considered not buying that generation of car simply due to the grill. However, Don't knock until you try it. This new grill was first implemented on the new X5 and X7. On these larger vehicles the styling works. It doesn't look fantastic but it looks good enough where I'm seriously considered buying a X7 M sport.
Thanks for the insight bro.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:26 PM   #10
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

The day an unveiling is done, they typically begin to work on the next generation.
I welcome the new grills.
I don't however welcome the degradation of the hofmeister kink, or the L shaped headlights in the new M5 LCI.

I think some big vertical grills on a small bodied BMW will really remind me a bit of the 2002.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 12:08 AM   #11
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Sorry to rain on your parade, but it's too late. The G82 M4 gets the controversial 'Beaver Grilles'. Way too costly for BMW to stop that wheel from turning. It was conceived that way - it will be born that way. Those design and development decisions were taken a long time ago. 'Start of communication' is scheduled for September.

From 'beemer' to 'beaver': dusted and done. To make it 'special'. For some explanation about that design element: see for example here.

Just cross your fingers that the M2 (G87) doesn't get beavered too. Let's wait and see whether BMW designers van Hooydonk and Dukec have 'special ideas' for it.
      06-18-2020, 01:56 AM   #12
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Sorry to rain on your parade, but it's too late. The G82 M4 gets the controversial 'Beaver Grilles'. Way too costly for BMW to stop that wheel from turning. It was conceived that way - it will be born that way. Those design and development decisions were taken a long time ago. 'Start of communication' is scheduled for September.

From 'beemer' to 'beaver': dusted and done. To make it 'special'. For some explanation about that design element: see for example here.

Just cross your fingers that the M2 (G87) doesn't get beavered too. Let's wait and see whether BMW designers van Hooydonk and Dukec have 'special ideas' for it.
Isn't G87 going to have the same subframe shape (body) and headlight/taillights design as the G42 coupe?

From the leak picture (which is very legit), it's pretty much hopeless viewed thru my eye...
Attached Images

06-18-2020, 02:45 AM   #13
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Isn't G87 going to have the same subframe shape (body) and headlight/taillights design as the G42 coupe?
From the leak picture (which is very legit), it's pretty much hopeless viewed thru my eye...
That would make sense.

It seems that the latest generation of BMW designers want each series to be more distinctive, rather than having too many similarities in the line-up. So I don't expect the G87 M2 design to be a downsized version of the G80 M3 or G82 M4. And fairly speaking, let them keep those presumptuous 'beaver grilles' for the M3/M4.

There used to be BMW designs that I instantly liked. For example, to my taste Hussein Al-Attar did a good job on the F87 M2. But personally not feeling the design turns BMW is taking with their latest new generation cars. As if they're trying too hard to be 'special'. Standing out: affirmative. Outstanding: negative.
      06-18-2020, 06:14 AM   #14
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
So, this evening I was flicking through the AutoBild YouTube channel on the YouTubes on my TV.

My 12 year old daughter happened to walk past the screen and I said "What do you think of this car?"

Her words. "It's horrible Daddy. It looks like Hitler crossed with a rat. Your one looks so much better."

Only from the mouths of children.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
tranck500.50
Hankdoll135.50
TemjinX2520.50
Rick4345469.50
      06-18-2020, 06:14 AM   #15
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOhnoez View Post
The day an unveiling is done, they typically begin to work on the next generation.
I don't however welcome the degradation of the hofmeister kink, or the L shaped headlights in the new M5 LCI.

I think some big vertical grills on a small bodied BMW will really remind me a bit of the 2002.
I think this is a good move since now all E82 1 series owners can now say their cars are no longer the ugliest BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 06:33 AM   #16
///Cardia
///M Power
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Completely understand the timeline and lineage, but thanks for the reminder.

Hoping to save the flagship model, M3!

Again, this was just a last ditch effort to allow a way for "true M owners" to voice our concern with the new front fascia.

If the new G80 grille does indeed match that outdated beaver look, keep your F80's!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 07:02 AM   #17
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Again, this was just a last ditch effort to allow a way for "true M owners" to voice our concern with the new front fascia.
If the new G80 grille does indeed match that outdated beaver look, keep your F80's!
Both the G80 M3 and G82 M4 got 'beavered'.

Sorry.

February 2020 - BMW Welt (SOC = Start Of Communication) (source: here):
Name:  BMW_Welt_Conference.jpg
Views: 2649
Size:  153.0 KB
      06-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #18
///Cardia
///M Power
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Both the G80 M3 and G82 M4 got 'beavered'.

Sorry.

February 2020 - BMW Welt (SOC = Start Of Communication) (source: here):
Attachment 2341744
Thanks Artemis
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #19
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:

The new M4 "Beaver" grills are atrocious and do nothing to remind me of the 2002. This major flub reminds me of the Porsche 996 "Scrambled egg" headlights which quickly disappeared. Change just for the sake of change usually equals something bad.
Appreciate 1
///Cardia299.50
      06-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #20
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Let me correct that for you:
Quote:
I think some big vertical grills on a small bodied BMW will really remind me a bit of 2020.
      06-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #21
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Makes one wonder who approves such things.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 07:55 PM   #22
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:

IF BMW screws up the new M2 I will keep my OG forever...