BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > You willing to pay market adjustment?

01-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #45
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
I'm really glad they priced it where they did. I feel really bad for the 235 buyers that didn't wait.
Yeah, I have a M235. I wish I could get the flared fenders and bigger wheels/more rubber. Otherwise there isn't much in it for me. The M2 is not that much more powerful. I would loose color choices, sunroof and adaptive suspension. The M2 is a great value though.
adaptive suspension is an option on a 235?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #46
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Hell no, it's not a limited production car and one of the main advantages is the cheap price.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #47
vstM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

My deal is at MSRP, but MSRP is a manufacturer suggested price, what the car is worth to you is priceless.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #48
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

If I were buying an M2, I wouldn't even pay MSRP. It's a freaking BMW, not a laFerrari!!

When shopping for my M235i when it first came out, every dealer wanted MSRP. Whenever a dealer mentions MsRP I just thanked them and continued shopping. Got it for $900 over invoice after about 5 calls. I understand everyone's got to make a living but hey, their purpose is to get every dollar and my goal is to save every dollar possible. Somewhere along the line we would agree on a price that is fair for both parties.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #49
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
If I were buying an M2, I wouldn't even pay MSRP. It's a freaking BMW, not a laFerrari!!

When shopping for my M235i when it first came out, every dealer wanted MSRP. Whenever a dealer mentions MsRP I just thanked them and continued shopping. Got it for $900 over invoice after about 5 calls. I understand everyone's got to make a living but hey, their purpose is to get every dollar and my goal is to save every dollar possible. Somewhere along the line we would agree on a price that is fair for both parties.
So.. you're going to beat MSRP with a 2016 model? Good luck with that.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #50
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
So.. you're going to beat MSRP with a 2016 model? Good luck with that.
Why not? It's definitely possible. The reason why dealers are charging high selling prices is because most people already have the mentality of paying that price instilled in them.

Nobody believed that I got $900 over invoice on my M235i. I ordered it 2 weeks after it started hitting dealers' lots. Then a few members contacted me with contact info and got similar deals. A few other ones did work on their own and also got similar deals. Dealers were only getting 2-3 allocations a month and that trend continued for about a year. I expect M2 to be similar.

Point is that if you have a fair price in mind and put in a little bit of work, you can get it below MSRP. Remember that you are not limited to only buying from the local dealers. There are options such as PCD and ED that allow you to buy from pretty much anyone in the country (read: smaller markets).
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #51
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Why not? It's definitely possible. The reason why dealers are charging high selling prices is because most people already have the mentality of paying that price instilled in them.

Nobody believed that I got $900 over invoice on my M235i. I ordered it 2 weeks after it started hitting dealers' lots. Then a few members contacted me with contact info and got similar deals. A few other ones did work on their own and also got similar deals. Dealers were only getting 2-3 allocations a month and that trend continued for about a year. I expect M2 to be similar.

Point is that if you have a fair price in mind and put in a little bit of work, you can get it below MSRP. Remember that you are not limited to only buying from the local dealers. There are options such as PCD and ED that allow you to buy from pretty much anyone in the country (read: smaller markets).
I totally respect your view on this matter however doing what you are saying is not as easy if we are talking about M2. I emailed/talked to every dealer in California and some out-of-state dealers. Most of these dealers have a waitlist of at least 15-20 people. I even saw couple of them having 30-40+ people on their list. My point is that dealers will not give a sh*t if you walk away. Because they have more people on the waitlist than the number of M2s they are gonna get. Also, let me add this too. Most of the dealers that I talked to were not even willing to negotiate on the amount of markup that they will apply. I have seen dealers who asked for $5k-10k markups and these guys had close 10 people in their list 2 months ago. Just FYI...

If you walk away because of no below-MSRP-deal, they will have literally no problem finding another person willing to pay MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 07:27 PM   #52
crqflier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '95 M3 (gone)

I don't think we'll see below msrp (other than ED msrp) in SoCal until sometime in 2017 - unless someone has an "in" of some sort. And I'm fairly sure msrp will be the pocket case, not the rule, through most of 2016. Hopefully I'm wrong. I just assumed I'd be buying in late 2016 and would likely pay msrp. But buying in April I think the dealer will simply go find another buyer willing to pay a $5-10k mark up.
      01-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #53
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

I will never pay a "market adjustment" for any car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #54
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I totally respect your view on this matter however doing what you are saying is not as easy if we are talking about M2. I emailed/talked to every dealer in California and some out-of-state dealers. Most of these dealers have a waitlist of at least 15-20 people. I even saw couple of them having 30-40+ people on their list. My point is that dealers will not give a sh*t if you walk away. Because they have more people on the waitlist than the number of M2s they are gonna get. Also, let me add this too. Most of the dealers that I talked to were not even willing to negotiate on the amount of markup that they will apply. I have seen dealers who asked for $5k-10k markups and these guys had close 10 people in their list 2 months ago. Just FYI...

If you walk away because of no below-MSRP-deal, they will have literally no problem finding another person willing to pay MSRP.
Oh, for sure. There will be buyers lined up and that's great for dealers. I am sure they will have no problem moving the M2. I am saying that buyers should be prepared to walk away unless they don't mind paying more. Same case with the M3. It's also an M car and people were getting pretty good deals when it seemed like MSRP was the magic number at the time. Others then caught up and knew the number they should be shooting for.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 07:50 PM   #55
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

No way! I will get my deposit refund in this case!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 09:50 PM   #56
Herb53
Registered
Rep
Drives: On the waiting list for M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tuna View Post
The slightest mention of anything higher than MSRP and I'll head over to Porsche.
I am with you. one dollar more and i will get a 2016 Boxter Spyder.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #57
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Nope. Status 112. Picking up at the performance center. Msrp.
      01-25-2016, 10:36 PM   #58
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

contacted the dealership where i bought my current 328i.

internet sales manager said for $10k over i can have the first allocation. i'm guessing they aren't getting any bites and told him to let me know once they are down to sticker.

i get this feeling the market adjustment period will end pretty quick. this dealer is the first or second largest in LA and he said they were only getting 6 for this year so far, but i'm guessing might be just for the 2016 model year which is short....
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 11:32 PM   #59
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007

internet sales manager said for $10k over i can have the first allocation. i'm guessing they aren't getting any bites and told him to let me know once they are down to sticker.

i get this feeling the market adjustment period will end pretty quick. this dealer is the first or second largest in LA and he said they were only getting 6 for this year so far, but i'm guessing might be just for the 2016 model year which is short....
Salesmen are so greedy with these markups. I was stressed cause they told me 5k over even tho I had a a deposit down on a #3. Found another dealer for msrp real quick. Im #7 and they are getting 6 allocations for m.y 2016, so Im hoping a summer 2016 build as m.y 2017 .
      01-25-2016, 11:50 PM   #60
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Hell no, it's not a limited production car and one of the main advantages is the cheap price.
It's not a cheap car. Would you say the same thing about the Porsche macan? Ford GT350 ?

The Macan is the least expensive of their SUVS, but " cheaply priced ... Heavy discounts? These aren't Chevy Tahoes or Honda Accords we are talking about. It's still a niche vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 11:53 PM   #61
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine3
Quote:

Salesmen are so greedy with these markups. I was stressed cause they told me 5k over even tho I had a a deposit down on a #3. Found another dealer for msrp real quick. Im #7 and they are getting 6 allocations for m.y 2016, so Im hoping a summer 2016 build as m.y 2017 .
6 allocations for model year 2016 probably matches what they received in 1m then. Care to give the name of the dealer ?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 12:33 AM   #62
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Who cares... That Spyder will cost you a grip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb53 View Post
I am with you. one dollar more and i will get a 2016 Boxter Spyder.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 01:32 AM   #63
RoninX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z51

I remember when the S2000 first came out, some dealers were asking for $10K over MSRP. Now, the S2000 is a great sports car, but it's not a rare limited production car. People who were willing to wait a few months got it at MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 01:46 AM   #64
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
6 allocations for model year 2016 probably matches what they received in 1m then. Care to give the name of the dealer ?
actually i remember when i bought my 328 there, same internet sales manager picked me up 10 mlies away since i had to sell my audi to carmax , so we ended up chit chatting in the car for half an hour on the drive back to my then new bmw

he said, when they got the 1m, they only got 2....

and that a guy basically paid way over sticker for one, and he personally drove one of their loaner cars to sacramento (which is like a 5hour drive) to get the guy to sign the paper work since the guy couldn't make it down to LA in time (to beat well another guy who was planning to fly in).

i'm guessing his commission was pretty good on that one. Most of the dealers in LA are doing the market adjustment thing from my random emailing / asking in store earlier, but this is the first one i've had tell me after the pricing came out how many cars they were getting
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 08:06 AM   #65
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
actually i remember when i bought my 328 there, same internet sales manager picked me up 10 mlies away since i had to sell my audi to carmax , so we ended up chit chatting in the car for half an hour on the drive back to my then new bmw

he said, when they got the 1m, they only got 2....

and that a guy basically paid way over sticker for one, and he personally drove one of their loaner cars to sacramento (which is like a 5hour drive) to get the guy to sign the paper work since the guy couldn't make it down to LA in time (to beat well another guy who was planning to fly in).

i'm guessing his commission was pretty good on that one. Most of the dealers in LA are doing the market adjustment thing from my random emailing / asking in store earlier, but this is the first one i've had tell me after the pricing came out how many cars they were getting
Thanks for the reply!

Well, six allocations for the first year model of M2 compared to just two allocations for the 1M is a 300 percent improvement.

And now we have two dealers that are getting six cars a year. That's one allocation every two months. Doesn't sound like the factory will be pushing these out like Honda civics

While I personally hope for M2 fans that BMW dials up the production, I think that the majority of people on these forums think that " not limited " means that this car will be available as much as the M3/M4.

Currently, a 300% increase in production over the 1M still represents less than 2000 M2 a year for the US market and I seriously doubt we will get much more than that. So, again, while "not limited ".... Doesn't mean that everyone should assume " unlimited and plentiful ".

A lot of people assume that I feel the M2 will be as limited as the 1M. That's not the case. And I'm not trying to push people to buy a car or make people panic but I do recommend that people continue to watch production levels, especially those that expect to pick up an M2 in about 3 -6 months for $3500 off.

I'm very confident that BMW Could sell 3000 M2 a year in the US... And that means more buyers than product...caveat emptor !
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #66
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine3
Quote:

I highly doubt the sales person is getting that extra premium money. it's all GM and dealership money.

when I sold Honda's a long time ago when the S2000s just came out, we were told all S2000 stress went thru the GM. I was not allowed to sell them.

I had to fight the GM to sell the newly redesigned Odyssey. they were going for over sticker and was only allowed to be sold thru the GM too at one point. GMs are 16x the scum holes the sales people are...and they are scum holes
Appreciate 0