BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > What did you do to your M2C today?

10-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #2993
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post
New shift knob and ebrake handle. Thanks to IND (still failing at tagging vendor user names).
I'm also thinking about purchasing this for my SO. Can you tell me if there's a height difference in this shift knob in comparison to stock? Also is the feel slightly more mechanical or not?
      10-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #2994
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwemersonrw View Post
Couple of stickers from tracks I've been on and my home tracks and my tech's business sticker. New exhaust. Still waiting for my wheels. Tires took a beating at the track *
Friend of mine went for a track day last weekend and had similar wear but bit as aggressive. It seems camber adjustment is really needed for this car.
      10-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #2995
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition, Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMaddness View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwemersonrw View Post
Couple of stickers from tracks I've been on and my home tracks and my tech's business sticker. New exhaust. Still waiting for my wheels. Tires took a beating at the track *
Friend of mine went for a track day last weekend and had similar wear but bit as aggressive. It seems camber adjustment is really needed for this car.
Yeah my new wheels come in next week! I will do a slight negative camber
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #2996
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Quote:
Quote:
New shift knob and ebrake handle. Thanks to IND (still failing at tagging vendor user names).
I'm also thinking about purchasing this for my SO. Can you tell me if there's a height difference in this shift knob in comparison to stock? Also is the feel slightly more mechanical or not?
I didn't compare it side by side to oem but it has to be shorter just based on the size of the knob itself. It feels shorter, denser, and more mechanical because it has no padding.
      10-18-2020, 03:49 PM   #2997
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't compare it side by side to oem but it has to be shorter just based on the size of the knob itself. It feels shorter, denser, and more mechanical because it has no padding.
Thanks. I'm considering SSK so wanted to know the height....seems like not much difference.
      10-19-2020, 08:22 AM   #2998
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C

Been busy...Full front (full hood, full fenders, bumper, mirror) Suntek PPF installed. Mounted an Alpine Type-S 10" sub in the Visual Ice sub box and the Alpine amp under the rear deck lid. Ready for a New England winter with Renn Motorsports RS-51 19" wheels wrapped in 245/40/19 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32s. AP carbon fiber mud flaps. Wireless charging phone mount from Scosche.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
cb8042351.00
      10-19-2020, 09:05 AM   #2999
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottah View Post
Been busy...Full front (full hood, full fenders, bumper, mirror) Suntek PPF installed. Mounted an Alpine Type-S 10" sub in the Visual Ice sub box and the Alpine amp under the rear deck lid. Ready for a New England winter with Renn Motorsports RS-51 19" wheels wrapped in 245/40/19 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32s. AP carbon fiber mud flaps. Wireless charging phone mount from Scosche.
Nice! I've always wanted to see a LBB car with gray wheels. Looks good.
Appreciate 1
Pottah203.00
      10-19-2020, 10:00 AM   #3000
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Nice, I've been very happy with the Visual Ice sub enclosure. Had it for almost a year now. I've had a MusicarNW enclosure (in my F30's) and the VI is pretty darn close to as nice.
Appreciate 1
Pottah203.00
      10-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #3001
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottah View Post
it too bad they don't have something that fits M2 like this? Maybe they do. Vehicle fit on the site says no.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-rennline...es/pm0119~rel/
Pottah203.00
      10-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #3002
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb804 View Post
Nice! I've always wanted to see a LBB car with gray wheels. Looks good.
Yeah I don't normally go with gray/dark wheels but I agree it looks good.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #3003
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it too bad they don't have something that fits M2 like this? Maybe they do. Vehicle fit on the site says no.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-rennline...es/pm0119~rel/
I did quite a bit of digging and found a thread or two where someone said it does not fit the F87 and I wasn't going to try it. It could probably be modified.

Last edited by Pottah; 10-19-2020 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #3004
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Nice, I've been very happy with the Visual Ice sub enclosure. Had it for almost a year now. I've had a MusicarNW enclosure (in my F30's) and the VI is pretty darn close to as nice.
I looked at the Musicar one first but couldn't justify the price and found this guy on eBay. It came out real nice and for the price (even shipped from UK) you can't beat it. The carpet color match isn't 100% but 99.9% of the time it won't bother me :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #3005
iBurble
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Installed the MP Shift Knob from iND, took some measurements and some pics...
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Kleinacus671.00
boss2k1078.00
Poochie9104.50
      10-21-2020, 06:52 PM   #3006
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBurble View Post
Thanks for posting the comparison pics, helps a lot . I also bought the IND mperformance and installing it tomorrow but from the pics you posted is the M performance lighter than the stock shift knob ? I was expecting the M performance to be slightly more weighted than the stock one !!
      10-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #3007
iBurble
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
is the M performance lighter than the stock shift knob ? I was expecting the M performance to be slightly more weighted than the stock one !!
Yes - I was surprised as well that the MP weighed less than the stock one.

Note that the weight includes the boot and plastic clips.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 09:26 PM   #3008
M2Competition
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, P. Sport Turismo, MGA

Short shiter from Auto Solutions

I just had my new short shifter by Auto Solutions installed by Star Autosport in Los Angeles. Ron at Auto Solutions did an amazing job building it for me and Frank at Star Autosport did a great job installing it.

I chose the stock height & center, 25% reduction with the upgraded bushing. I have the IND shifter that I use with it and I couldn't be happier with the end result. Very short robust shifts with much better feel compared to the OEM unit.

When you look at the AutoSolutions unit side by side with the OEM unit, you can clearly see the better build quality without the plastic parts.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 10:30 PM   #3009
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Yes - I was surprised as well that the MP weighed less than the stock one.

Note that the weight includes the boot and plastic clips.
Do you like it better than stock knob? Are the throws shorter?
      10-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #3010
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for posting. Needed the height and weight difference for SSK shifter. I have the IND one coming on Friday as well.
      10-21-2020, 10:44 PM   #3011
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Competition View Post
I just had my new short shifter by Auto Solutions installed by Star Autosport in Los Angeles. Ron at Auto Solutions did an amazing job building it for me and Frank at Star Autosport did a great job installing it.

I chose the stock height & center, 25% reduction with the upgraded bushing. I have the IND shifter that I use with it and I couldn't be happier with the end result. Very short robust shifts with much better feel compared to the OEM unit.

When you look at the AutoSolutions unit side by side with the OEM unit, you can clearly see the better build quality without the plastic parts.
I'm in conversation with Ron on one for myself. Same height as stock - is it not too low when shifting with elbow of center console? Does the 25% reduction feel just right or would you go with a bit less next time? I've been talking about 22.5% reduction at stock height with Ron but my shift knob is the IND M Performance knob. that looks a bit shorter and is 25 grams lighter.
      10-22-2020, 01:14 AM   #3012
M2Competition
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, P. Sport Turismo, MGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMadness View Post
I'm in conversation with Ron on one for myself. Same height as stock - is it not too low when shifting with elbow of center console? Does the 25% reduction feel just right or would you go with a bit less next time? I've been talking about 22.5% reduction at stock height with Ron but my shift knob is the IND M Performance knob. that looks a bit shorter and is 25 grams lighter.
I personally like the shorter shifters (like the old school first generation Miata shifters) so I like how the IND M Performance knob sits low (I have the same one) and if I were ordering today, I would still order standard height. That being said, you are right that 25% reduction makes the throw distance much less than the standard so you may want to consider 22.5%.

IMHO, the height difference of IND shifter is not significant enough for the center console to cause any elbow challenges. You can always push the console cover back if it becomes an issue for you.

Regardless of which one you choose, the experience is so much better compared to the OEM that I'm sure you will love it.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2020, 01:23 AM   #3013
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Competition View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMadness View Post
I personally like the shorter shifters (like the old school first generation Miata shifters) so I like how the IND M Performance knob sits low (I have the same one) and if I were ordering today, I would still order standard height. That being said, you are right that 25% reduction makes the throw distance much less than the standard so you may want to consider 22.5%.

IMHO, the height difference of IND shifter is not significant enough for the center console to cause any elbow challenges. You can always push the console cover back if it becomes an issue for you.

Regardless of which one you choose, the experience is so much better compared to the OEM that I'm sure you will love it.
How does it shift as you row the gears? Is it truly s more mechanical/notchy feel? where do you notice the largest performance difference - 1st to 2nd, at WOT, etc?
      10-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #3014
iBurble
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Do you like it better than stock knob? Are the throws shorter?
Observations so far:

1) height difference is only slightly noticeable, but I do prefer to shorter MP shift knob. Not sure that the throws feel any noticeably shorter.

2) weight difference is not that obvious to me

3) shifter vibration - not sure if this is just in my head, but I THINK I feel more vibration thru the MP shift knob vs the OEM one. Could this be due to the different material or lighter weight of the MP knob? :

4) texture - love how the dry carbon/alcantara texture feels on the MP shift knob vs the leather OEM one

5) shape - I immediately noticed that the MP shift knob take up less space in my palm than the OEM one. Not sure how I feel about this yet, need more drive time to determine

6) aesthetics - love it, 100% better and matches the interior perfectly. The iND shift boot seems to be a slightly darker alcantara, or maybe it's just darker because it's new? But it seems to match the interior colors better.

IMHO this is the shift knob the M2 should've come with. Great job iND for providing this as an aftermarket option.
Appreciate 3