BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > 340I chasing M2 comp at thunderbolt NJMP

09-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #1
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 ,2021 M340i

340I chasing M2 comp at thunderbolt NJMP

So I was at NJMP yesterday with my daily driver 340i and because f30 track forum is very inactive I decided to post this video here.
But main reason I do this is because M2 is involved and I thought some of you may be interested to see this. Maybe even the owner of that M2 can chime in with his comments if he is on this forum.
He actually found me after that session in the paddock to see my car and meet me. He was an instructor.
Also I am interested in M2 comp. and may even replace my daily next year.
Now some details about my car: 2018 340i m sport/8 sp. auto
GC street C.Plates, PFC 08 front brake pads, apex wheels with 275/35 18 square hoosiers R7 that had about 25 heat cycles(from my m3).
Everything else is stock.
M2 owner said his car is M2 comp. with coil overs on stock Michelin tires.
I ran this car with the tune for two track days before this day, and first time I was slower at this track and lap times were significantly lower on same tires and second time at LRP I lost power 5 min into the first session and limp mode kicked in, couldn't go faster than 40 mph.
So I detuned the car, back to stock power and car felt slower than tuned on the street, but came alive on the track.
So here is the video of our second session when white M2 passes me and that triggered the chase for the rest of that session:

For some reason end of the session wasn't recorded, we maintained the same distance until I had to pit because was driving with a bad head ache and it was getting worse progressively.
      09-26-2020, 09:53 PM   #2
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Not me, but I was in the garage next to this M2C and his buddy in the white GT3, good dudes.

I also got stuck behind that grey Corvette Z06 quite a few times, he would back me up crawling through the corners then burn away on the straights. Classic case of fast car in the wrong run group.

I remember seeing you chasing me (or quite possibly even catching me &#128556, I think I gave you a point by at some point in traffic. I actually wandered over to check your car afterwards haha! I was thinking there is no way that 340 is on stock runflats! I was driving the white GT4. First time out with it, thoroughly enjoyable day but I couldn't stay for the weekend unfortunately. Previous M2C owner myself so still check here out of habit.
Appreciate 2
CrashFL136.50
      09-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Not me, but I was in the garage next to this M2C and his buddy in the white GT3, good dudes.

I also got stuck behind that grey Corvette Z06 quite a few times, he would back me up crawling through the corners then burn away on the straights. Classic case of fast car in the wrong run group.

I remember seeing you chasing me (or quite possibly even catching me ��), I think I gave you a point by at some point in traffic. I actually wandered over to check your car afterwards haha! I was thinking there is no way that 340 is on stock runflats! I was driving the white GT4. First time out with it, thoroughly enjoyable day but I couldn't stay for the weekend unfortunately. Previous M2C owner myself so still check here out of habit.
Hey, yes I was chasing you too lol, and you are right, eventually towards the end you gave me the point by in traffic and shortly after I had to pit again due to the headache.
Just couldn't keep that pace up for the full session.
I am sure you want to see your car from our view and here we go, video of me chasing you
Unfortunately at 10:05 I went over the rumble strips and my iPhone holder that was mounted to the windshield got loose and from vibration video is almost unwatchable after that...

For some reason the end of the video wasn't recorded again.
      09-27-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Nice! The first time I had my M2 on Thunderbolt a couple years ago, I was able to dip into the 1:32s on Trofeo R’s.

Also did an unplanned 3.5hr stint in the rain during an AER race the next day. My rain skills went to a new level after that!

Fun track!
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition, Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datka View Post
So I was at NJMP yesterday with my daily driver 340i and because f30 track forum is very inactive I decided to post this video here.
But main reason I do this is because M2 is involved and I thought some of you may be interested to see this. Maybe even the owner of that M2 can chime in with his comments if he is on this forum.
He actually found me after that session in the paddock to see my car and meet me. He was an instructor.
GC street C.Plates, PFC 08 front brake pads, apex wheels with 275/35 18 square hoosiers R7 that had about 25 heat cycles(from my m3).
I ran this car with the tune for two track days before this day, and first time I was slower at this track and lap times were significantly lower on same tires and second time at LRP I lost power 5 min into the first session and limp mode kicked in, couldn't go faster than 40 mph.
So I detuned the car, back to stock power and car felt slower than tuned on the street, but came alive on the track.
So here is the video of our second session when white M2 passes me and that triggered the chase for the rest of that session:

For some reason end of the session wasn't recorded, we maintained the same distance until I had to pit because was driving with a bad head ache and it was getting worse progressively.
Nice video thanks for sharing. Hopefully I'll see you on the track one day I'm also a member of NJMP!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 02:34 PM   #6
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datka View Post

The M2 Comp was me. Good times! Car has JRZ RS2, camber plates and pagid pads. Best time of the weekend for me was 1:33.1 on Michelin PS4S.

Prior to this I was at Watkins Glen. Only difference I had cup 2 tires on it. Ran 2:10.65 at the glen.

I need to get some bigger tires under it.
      09-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
booya_45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I’ll be at thunderbolt this Wednesday, October 31st, and November 7th weekends.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 10:37 PM   #8
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

Datka, how is the car for daily driving? Particularly on bad pavement since you have camber plates.

I would like to do something similar, camber plates on stock edc suspension, and 200tw tires for an occasional track day if the other car is not ready. But I wouldn't want to cringe like when I hit bumps in my camber plated 135i.

Also, do you have the m sport brakes with the third radiator?
      11-22-2020, 09:54 PM   #9
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
Datka, how is the car for daily driving? Particularly on bad pavement since you have camber plates.

I would like to do something similar, camber plates on stock edc suspension, and 200tw tires for an occasional track day if the other car is not ready. But I wouldn't want to cringe like when I hit bumps in my camber plated 135i.

I don't have blue m sport brakes. But with pfc-08 pads up front and Castrol SRF brake fluid braking on the track is not bad.
I tracked 135i for 7 years. 340i is 10x better in every way. A huge upgrade.
This car is stock with street GC c.plates and the ride is as good as before c.plates.
I have my heavily modded e92m3 but I don't want to beat on it all the time.
I do about 4-5 track days a year with each of these cars.
The lap times between them is huge, but I enjoy driving 340i a lot because I drive it to the track and from in a very comfortable place.
This car can be really fast with some weight reduction and good coilover system on r-comp tires.
      11-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #10
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Nice sessions. I did NJMP while at the 2015 BMW CCA O'Fest. In a 2015 M5 at the time. Unfortunately I don't have a hard mount for my GoPro and was told that suction cup mounts were not allowed. So no video and no clue what my lap times were.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:19 PM   #11
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

what tune were you running when you got limp mode? haven't heard of too many issues with the B58. was it oil temps or coolant temps that caused the limp mode? just picked up a 2017 340 6mt and trying to figure out suspension, down to ohlins or mcs 1wnr, i have 2 year old twins so i might get to the track 4 or 5 times a year so mcs might be overkill, just want to see what kind of a deal i can get through a really close friend who is tight with one of MCS dealers. also ohlins worry me with their highg rear spring rate at the rears for the f30.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:52 PM   #12
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802 View Post
what tune were you running when you got limp mode? haven't heard of too many issues with the B58. was it oil temps or coolant temps that caused the limp mode? just picked up a 2017 340 6mt and trying to figure out suspension, down to ohlins or mcs 1wnr, i have 2 year old twins so i might get to the track 4 or 5 times a year so mcs might be overkill, just want to see what kind of a deal i can get through a really close friend who is tight with one of MCS dealers. also ohlins worry me with their highg rear spring rate at the rears for the f30.
I don't want to mention any names, but it was tuned by a very reputable tuner in my area.
Car was much faster than stock on the street, but it was a disaster when pushed hard to the limit at the track.
I know a lot of ppl track tuned cars, but they may not be driving hard enough to expose flaws of the aftermarket tunes.
To address your second question, I don't recommend installing any coilovers on a non m car. I have done it and believe me its not worth it.
All you need is street camber plates set to -3 front -2 rear and good r-comp. tires. Stock adaptive suspension on these cars is surprisingly good enough when pushed hard.
      07-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #13
Parth317
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3, 09 E92 335i(SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post

+1
Appreciate 0