BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust

07-21-2020, 03:59 AM   #287
coldM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw340iMPPSK/BmwM2MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
You twist off the bottom plastic cap... counter-clockwise. The battery itself is hard to remove, I bent a paperclip into an L to reach in and under it to pull it out.

Which reminds me to order batteries, cause I noticed my battery is low this morning. I know you said there is supposed to be a low battery warning on it, which I never noticed before. What mine does is not do anything at all when I double press it. But sometimes it will light while I'm in the middle of a press.

I have a feeling keeping the remote in the car when it's hot out is prematurely killing batteries. Maybe there is an actual low battery warning, but the heat is making it drain to dead before a warning is shown.
Alright, thanks a lot, still haven’t had time to change it but will get onto it now😂 thanks again😉
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #288
noegonzalez
Registered
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 2018

F87 M2 2018 Non Comp

Looking for recommendations regarding carbon tips for the original exhaust. Which are the correct sizes that best fit for inside and outside diameters?
My preferred are Carbon tips with blue. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 02:39 AM   #289
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

For those of you that had drone with the mpe.. has things improved over time with more km's? Looking to potentially get the mpe but concerned on the drone!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #290
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
For those of you that had drone with the mpe.. has things improved over time with more km's? Looking to potentially get the mpe but concerned on the drone!
My 2017 with N55 car has 20,00km . In the quietest modes comfort mode for the car with the exhaust track mode off (obviously) the car revs at 3000rpm in 6th gear (manual). It drones like crazy as described above. Unbearable to me. As a result I drive in 5th at 3800rpm. It sucks gas obviously. The M2 is loud inside in general. Road noise, wind noise, minimal sound insulation, and abusive ride which adds to the overall discomfort. Add the exhaust and you have a really tough car to daily. That said when you want to drive the car as intended it's a blast. As for the exhaust despite everything I mentioned I absolutely love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. It just sounds so damn good and when in Sport or Sport+ in addition to exhaust track mode....few cars sound that great. Not just loud for the sake of loud which is annoying. Loud AND great. Cracks, pops burbles and the tone is amazing and changes with revs. I love this exhaust. But as I mentioned I have no illusions about it either.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 12:42 PM   #291
m34m
Captain
Rep

Does anyone know if the M2 MPE for N55 will fit an E90 335i?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 07:07 PM   #292
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
My 2017 with N55 car has 20,00km . In the quietest modes comfort mode for the car with the exhaust track mode off (obviously) the car revs at 3000rpm in 6th gear (manual). It drones like crazy as described above. Unbearable to me. As a result I drive in 5th at 3800rpm. It sucks has obviously. The M2 is loud inside in general. Road noise, wind noise, minimal sound insulation, and abusive ride which adds to the overall discomfort. Add the exhaust and you have a really tough car to daily. That said when you want to drive the car as intended it's a blast. As for the exhaust despite everything I mentioned I absolutely love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. It just sounds so damn good and when in Sport or Sport+ plus track mode....few cars sound that great. Not just loud for the sake of loud which is annoying. Loud AND great. Cracks, pops burbles and the tone is amazing and changes with revs. I love this exhaust. But as I mentioned I have no illusions about it either.
Thanks for the write up! Good to have my expectations managed that the drone won't be going away even with time.

That's great you love the exhaust that much! After our local covid restrictions - I'll have to find some member rides with the mpe to get a better idea of how it drones.

Did you try getting rid of ASD to help out with the in-cabin noise?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #293
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wow that's interesting - what's the idea behind the question? Is the E90 your other ride?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 11:37 PM   #294
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My 2017 with N55 car has 20,00km . In the quietest modes comfort mode for the car with the exhaust track mode off (obviously) the car revs at 3000rpm in 6th gear (manual). It drones like crazy as described above. Unbearable to me. As a result I drive in 5th at 3800rpm. It sucks has obviously. The M2 is loud inside in general. Road noise, wind noise, minimal sound insulation, and abusive ride which adds to the overall discomfort. Add the exhaust and you have a really tough car to daily. That said when you want to drive the car as intended it's a blast. As for the exhaust despite everything I mentioned I absolutely love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. It just sounds so damn good and when in Sport or Sport+ plus track mode....few cars sound that great. Not just loud for the sake of loud which is annoying. Loud AND great. Cracks, pops burbles and the tone is amazing and changes with revs. I love this exhaust. But as I mentioned I have no illusions about it either.
Thanks for the write up! Good to have my expectations managed that the drone won't be going away even with time.

That's great you love the exhaust that much! After our local covid restrictions - I'll have to find some member rides with the mpe to get a better idea of how it drones.

Great question. It's probably something I should've considered but I'm very into OEM and no mods. My car has the MPE and OEM carbon fiber pieces. I've never been into tuning/coding or aftermarket mods. I find the cars that age best are those that are as close to original as possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 11:48 PM   #295
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wow that's interesting - what's the idea behind the question? Is the E90 your other ride?
Unfortunately the lease on my M2 is up and as much as I've enjoyed this car it's definitely not special enough to be a keeper. Deciding what to replace it with has been very tough. I need a more comfortable daily. I narrowed it down to a Macan GTS or wait for the new M3. Very few cars today do it for me. I drove the new 3 series and couldn't stand it. It's too big and the belt line too high. That eliminated the M3 and after driving the Macan I realized I could not do an SUV after an M2. So I went back in the archives and picked up a very clean low miles 2011 335i with an N55 motor. It has a stock exhaust and I love the M2 exhaust so much I wanted to know if it fits the 335i with some minor modifications given they are both N55 based motors. I realize this isn't something remotely common or that anyone has even tried. Looking for someone with real technical know how to chime in.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 11:48 PM   #296
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Looking at pics of the e90 underside, it doesn't seem like there is enough room for the MPE muffler under there. Maybe someone here can you give dimensions of their muffler.

Also, not sure the valve remote will wire into your car. But you might be able to cheat the system to keep the valves always open or always closed.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 01:26 AM   #297
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldM2 View Post
Think this is the right thread to ask the question. I have a -16 M2 with MPE. The blueetooth button has always been quite a pain but manageble still for about a year. Recently (past few weeks) the bluetooth button has been acting so strange. It takes me like 20 clicks for it to open up but it still doesnt indicate that the battery is low since its still working. Has anyone notices this before? Sometimes it wont even open up or show anything on the button untill i restart the car.
If related to MPE exhaust valves behavior: see the dedicated thread here.
      07-26-2020, 07:37 PM   #298
Padsco
Registered
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: M2 F87

M2 MPE not sold anymore by BMW Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibe View Post
Hi all,

I'm from France and I bought recently an LCI 2018 M2 with a manual gearbox (not a competition) in Germany and I'm currently looking for an M Performance exhaust who is not sold anymore in Europe.

I try to buy it on leebmann24 but they told me that the M Perf exhaust is not compatible. I recently contacted a french independent dealership who told me that the part can fit.

I try to get the information from myself but I cant' find anywhere if the part can fit to my vehicle or not, I called BMW France and they can't help me.

I saw some 2018 M2 and some press vehicule with the exhaust installed.

My car is under warranty and I don't want to loose it, if I install this exhaust.

Can someone heard about an incompatibility between a 2018 LCI M2 with manual gearbox and the M Perf exhaust ?

Hi there,

This is a very delicate subject you are talking about here and nobody really talks about it in those forums.

I actually also own a 2017 M2 F87 and live in Dubai (I am originally from Germany) and wanted to have this MPE since 2019 and was looking to get it in Dubai over BMW dealer.
BMW Dubai actually wanted a sensational 4,000 Euros vs. the 1,800 Euros in Germany.
Having said this I started contacting leebmann24 & baum-bmwshop24 for a couple of times to inquire about the exhaust system, with same answer you have gotten from them.
Even we & them know that the MPE system is working and completely compatible with the (facelifted) M2 F87 version, as soon as the BMW shops enter your VIN# the BMW system will tell them not compatible...

I was arguing with BMW a couple of times and mentioning that I can understand that this MPE is illegal within the EU (Germany), but I wanted to buy it for export to Dubai...answer was still NO!!!
Then 4 month later (March 2020) I actually wondered, why it was still available for such a long time in the online stores and even on sale 1,800 Euros.
Then kept trying to contact Baumshop without any success, no phone, no chat, no real email response... crap service!!!

Got angry and just bought it with Paypal option directly in the hope to get an answer why they could not sell it to me. Was expecting them to ask me for the VIN# but actually the system was dispatched without any response from Baumshop 24 hours later to my address in Germany...
Don't want to talk long about the trouble I have now with exporting this stupidly packed exhaust system, in a carton box with ridiculous dimensions & non stackable !!!

Anyhow...to get back to your answer I was trying to find out why this exhaust system had created so much issues for BMW that they would have stopped selling it.

Apparently this is a not really transparent subject and can only be explained with some gap guessing work:

In 2018 the EU had actually strengthen a new stronger noise regulation law for vehicle exhaust system (fighting the car lobbyists ).
That law is pretty complex and sets a new set of rules for noise emissions, while differentiating between Stock exhaust system & aftermarket exhaust systems, but all of them only regarding the valve operated systems, with the intention to open the valves and increase the level of sound (noise in their world ).

The actual EU law that had been passed is regulating cars with stock (valve) exhaust systems was done back in mid 2016 and got into effect for all cars build effective after December 2016.

Thus will explain why BMW is not allowed to sell you this exhaust system for your or my car at all legally once they know our VIN#.

If you can read German, you can find some more info in the below link from AUTO Zeitung:
https://www.autozeitung.de/auspuff-t...en-194020.html

Anyhow, I guess you will not loose any warranty from BMW side if you have this system installed, but you might get in trouble for having it installed with the Police (if they are looking for this!) or while renewing your car registration checkup (TUV).

I know the above is a lot, but I hope this will finally explain why the MPE cannot be bought legally anymore from BMW or any online BMW shops as they are liable if you cannot use it legally within the EU...

Hope you have luck with buying it...try to buy direct pay option, without asking them anything and not giving them your VIN#

Thanks,
Patrick
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 05:15 PM   #299
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great question. It's probably something I should've considered but I'm very into OEM and no mods. My car has the MPE and OEM carbon fiber pieces. I've never been into tuning/coding or aftermarket mods. I find the cars that age best are those that are as close to original as possible.
Hear you on this one - I would have rather not tinkered with the ASD but the frequency of the noise (rather than volume) is just headache inducing for myself. Really hoping that the MPE doesn't have that same effect!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #300
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

I understand the install of the mpe requires cutting of the stock exhaust.

Pardon the silly question - but if I wanted to reinstall the stock exhaust after removing the mpe, how is this done considering there was cutting initially involved of the stock exhaust for the mpe install?

Is it as simple as welding it back where it was cut?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 09:00 AM   #301
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:

Pardon the silly question - but if I wanted to reinstall the stock exhaust after removing the mpe, how is this done considering there was cutting initially involved of the stock exhaust for the mpe install?

You could weld it back in. Or you can use the clamp like what comes with the MPE. The latter being the better option IMO. Less work and less mess.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 09:05 AM   #302
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:

You could weld it back in. Or you can use the clamp like what comes with the MPE. The latter being the better option IMO. Less work and less mess.

Great thanks for that! Just wanted to see what's required if I do get the mpe and I do revert back to stock for whatever reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 06:52 AM   #303
DJacko
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Apologies for reviving an old thread but didn't want to create a whole new one.

I've just bought an LCI M2 with the M Performance Exhaust, and I'm basically confused as to what is going on with my valves/controller.

The controller I believe just doesn't work, I double click and get a double red flash when I do this with no change to exhaust note. I've tried pairing by holding the button for 15-20 seconds while next to the module in the trunk with no luck.

Moving onto the valves, I decided to try keep them open seen as the controller won't work and I would prefer my car to be loud anyway, I took it for a drive in sport getting over 4k rpm, but when I park up and look into the exhaust the valves still look closed to me, should I be able to physically see them open? The car sounds amazing but with me having no other experience of an M2, I'm not sure if the sound I'm hearing is open or closed. I shut the car off after the drive where the flaps should be open and unplugged the grey connector from the module in the trunk, but like I say when I look into the exhaust the valves look closed so now I'm worried they're permanently closed?

The car does pop and burble at low rpm in comfort mode so I feel like they must be open, but the fact I can see them closed is throwing me off. Should I be able to see the valves open with the ignition off or at idle?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0