BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Very Bizarre Issue After Getting Windows Tinted

11-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #23
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

this thread took an interesting turn, well perhaps MY scenario was coincidence. This is pretty enlightening to know. I spray my wheel wells all the time, so im guessing it comes from you jamming the spout in the well then spraying? i spray from atleast 1-2 feet back
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #24
BLOJOE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian ///M View Post
this thread took an interesting turn, well perhaps MY scenario was coincidence. This is pretty enlightening to know. I spray my wheel wells all the time, so im guessing it comes from you jamming the spout in the well then spraying? i spray from atleast 1-2 feet back
Yeah that's correct - I DID put the wand right in the wheel well and spray in addition to spraying the wheels - like I said something I have done many many times with other cars just not this one.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #25
BLOJOE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

----UPDATE----

So for those of you that have followed this crazy saga sofar and still care, took the car to the dealer yesterday for a follow-up. The service foreman wanted to perform a "water leak" test to ensure that there was not a leak anywhere that could have caused the amp damage - I agreed cause if there was a leak and the amp was replaced it might just happen again. I explained to him how I used the high-pressure wand to pressure wash the car and wheel well and I can only assume they tried to replicate it to the best of their ability with their hose.

So who wants to know the results of the "water leak test"??

...drumroll please...

No leaks found. At all... ...anywhere...

So now looking very very likely that it was indeed the tint shop. So for those of you thinking of getting your windows tinted would recommend you tell your tinter about this fiasco just for good measure - all in all it looks like its rare for it to happen though but so that's the good news...

...now just waiting for the amp to come in (it's backordered). Oh darn all I get to hear is the sound of the N55 engine as I drive... ...things could be worse... ...waaaay worse... TRACTION mode it is!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #26
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian ///M View Post
No no no. You may just have a bad amp from the Factory. I thought the same thing, because my amp died right after tinting. But in the end it was just a bad Factory amp that was replaced by warranty for free.

I thought the same thing, that they got too much liquid inside the door components or something. It was just coincidence

Edit- I went back to my tint guy too, and glad I wasn’t hostile or abrasive. I ended up sending him a follow up email explaining what really went wrong and gave then a positive google review for good measure.

Beautiful M2.
Appreciate 1
Ian ///M491.00
      11-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #27
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Beautiful M2.
thanks man. I look at this pic compared to my delivery day pic (in the M2 and their owners thread in the picture section) and realize how far the stock springs have settled in 8.2k miles . looks much better lol
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #28
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

That's very bizarre. I had my whole car tinted including the windshield (more prone to water damage) and have had zero issues. Doubt the amount of water they use could damage any electronics
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Ian ///M491.00
      11-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #29
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOJOE View Post
----UPDATE----

So for those of you that have followed this crazy saga sofar and still care, took the car to the dealer yesterday for a follow-up. The service foreman wanted to perform a "water leak" test to ensure that there was not a leak anywhere that could have caused the amp damage - I agreed cause if there was a leak and the amp was replaced it might just happen again. I explained to him how I used the high-pressure wand to pressure wash the car and wheel well and I can only assume they tried to replicate it to the best of their ability with their hose.

So who wants to know the results of the "water leak test"??

...drumroll please...

No leaks found. At all... ...anywhere...

So now looking very very likely that it was indeed the tint shop. So for those of you thinking of getting your windows tinted would recommend you tell your tinter about this fiasco just for good measure - all in all it looks like its rare for it to happen though but so that's the good news...

...now just waiting for the amp to come in (it's backordered). Oh darn all I get to hear is the sound of the N55 engine as I drive... ...things could be worse... ...waaaay worse... TRACTION mode it is!
so they acknowledged water damage but cannot isolate a leak anywhere.

Im leaning back toward just simply having a shitty factory amp like many many others have posted in here before. It was almost a weekly posting for the first 2 years this car was being built (of people complaining about their car audio dying/static/amp going bad)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #30
BLOJOE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
That's very bizarre. I had my whole car tinted including the windshield (more prone to water damage) and have had zero issues. Doubt the amount of water they use could damage any electronics
I agree (and this is exactly what my tint guy said) but they took picts of the amp (dealer has the picts) and there was clearly visual water damage and "corrosion" in the electronic boards in the amp.

I think it's very rare for this to happen BUT if all the conditions are right it can and did and has happened (if you read some of the previous posts).
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 03:54 PM   #31
Rub1con76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw F87 M2

Hi all, last week i got my windshield and door windows tinted and now my Audio and navi sounds stops about every 5 minutes and start again after 10 minutes again with that interval.
Strange

Next week i got a appointment with the dealer
      06-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #32
Rub1con76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw F87 M2

This just occured 1 day.
Now 3 days later it did'nt happen anymore.