BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust

08-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #265
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by saam_99 View Post
hi guys, I am a new owner from Spain. I want ask you something:
I had a MPE installed, but always I turn off the car, I have to pulse the button installed in the trunk for activating remote controller bluetoot, so for me it is so irritating do is again again…
So anyone knows the way for having the exhaust flaps always open in track mode?? unplugged the flaps in the exhaust maybe??
can anyone help me?
thanks.
Regarding the MPE on the original M2 and M2 LCI: 'The MPE Hack':
  • to keep the valve permanently closed: either don't use the remote control or click the MPE master switch inside the trunk from "I" to "O" position or disconnect the grey cable plug when the valve is in position "closed";
  • to keep the valve permanently open: disconnect the grey cable plug when the valve is in position "open" (disconnection while engine is turning).
The MPE actuator is kind of 'brain dead' when the grey cable plug is disconnected. The valve remains in the last position prior to disconnection.

100% reversible, no error codes, no modification, no programming, no pairing or re-pairing, only takes a few seconds, zero engineering knowledge required and $0 - it's as simple like that.

jas159897.50
      08-18-2019, 05:03 AM   #266
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

I’ve to screw the bolt in the endtips every week otherwise they’re rattling. Do you guys use locktite or something? I’m also looking for some kind of thin foil/tape which I can place between the exhaust and tips but haven’t found what I need.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 12:26 AM   #267
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

MPE Sports Mode Coding

Has anyone successfully coded the Sports Mode, to open the Valves / Flap on the MPE, without having to activate via the Bluetooth controller.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #268
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

If I'm not mistaken it's not possible due to the MPE system being completely independent from the stock exhaust valve actuator. You plug it into the MPE simply to not get any error codes.

Even if valves are closed and you're at 7000 RPM, they don't open automatically, unlike stock/other exhausts.

I just open it and then unplug the MPE controller . The bluetooth issues associated with this exhaust are just too much to put up with.
      09-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #269
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

I did a bit of a research into this because the BT controller is pain in the ass.

The cheapest way to do this is to source couple of actuators from any non-M BMW (actually the stock OG M2 without MPE also uses that part number).
You replace the MPE actuators with those, add a Y connector (OEM part for some M performance model), and plug it into a connector that was disconnected during the MPE install.

Total cost would be $200-$300 depending on where you get the actuators.

Here is one of the threads where we talked about it - https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=mpe+wiring
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #270
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Has anyone successfully coded the Sports Mode, to open the Valves / Flap on the MPE, without having to activate via the Bluetooth controller.
For a hack that does not require any works, does not throw error codes, is 100% reversible and costs $0: see here.
      09-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #271
EM240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 LCI; 17 M240ix; '19 Taco

Does anyone know how to pair a used Bluetooth remote with the MPE (already installed)? Just bought a lightly used M2 (unbelievable spec!) and bought a remote off someone on here and my local dealer was kind of clueless when I first asked about pairing it. I haven’t taken delivery yet as still waiting on title but very interested in getting my ducks in a row.

I’ve read you can reset ECU in trunk with a pen but not exactly sure how to pair

Last edited by EM240; 09-09-2019 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #272
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM240 View Post
Does anyone know how to pair a used Bluetooth remote with the MPE (already installed)? Just bought a lightly used M2 (unbelievable spec!) and bought a remote off someone on here and my local dealer was kind of clueless when I first asked about pairing it. I haven’t taken delivery yet as still waiting on title but very interested in getting my ducks in a row.
I’ve read you can reset ECU in trunk with a pen but not exactly sure how to pair
See here (MPE Pairing thread: see here):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
I lost connection to mine and from what I read online you have to press and hold the remote button for 15-20 seconds while holding it right next to the module in the trunk. Do this while the module is on. Worked for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Hold down the button for about 10-15 seconds close to the controller box in the trunk.
Should re-pair right up
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Try this:
Replace the battery first on the bluetooth controller
then:
While the switch is off in the trunk, hold down the remote for roughly 5 seconds, continue holding it then flip the switch on in the trunk. after 5 seconds release the button...
Then: double press the remote and see what happens
And in case you did the 'MPE hack' (permanently open or closed valves: see here): no re-pairing required after plugging the grey plug back into the MPE module.
      01-30-2020, 10:40 AM   #273
jenks.chris106
Jenkies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340I, 2020 M2 Compet

Been looking at these...anyone know the difference? Have them?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #274
jenks.chris106
Jenkies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340I, 2020 M2 Compet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenks.chris106 View Post
Is the only difference the m2, m2c? Totally not compatible?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #275
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenks.chris106 View Post
Yes, the difference is they are for two different engines.

The M2 MPE is a singe pipe catback
The M2C MPE is dual pipes
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #276
jibe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hi all,

I'm from France and I bought recently an LCI 2018 M2 with a manual gearbox (not a competition) in Germany and I'm currently looking for an M Performance exhaust who is not sold anymore in Europe.

I try to buy it on leebmann24 but they told me that the M Perf exhaust is not compatible. I recently contacted a french independent dealership who told me that the part can fit.

I try to get the information from myself but I cant' find anywhere if the part can fit to my vehicle or not, I called BMW France and they can't help me.

I saw some 2018 M2 and some press vehicule with the exhaust installed.

My car is under warranty and I don't want to loose it, if I install this exhaust.

Can someone heard about an incompatibility between a 2018 LCI M2 with manual gearbox and the M Perf exhaust ?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 05:27 AM   #277
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

How does the MPE on the OG sound in comfort mode? Is it noticeably louder than stock for daily driving say under 3k rpm?

I'm looking to get an MPE but did want to find out if it can be on the mild side if driven in comfort under certain rpms.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 03:05 AM   #278
DroneandDone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 MG M2

If you keep the valves closed, I feel like it is quieter than the stock exhaust throughout the rev range. Opening up the valves makes it significantly louder than stock in all modes. I will say that the stock exhaust with valves open sounds better than the MPE with valves closed. However, when I do open up the valves, it makes me very happy every time.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 07:11 AM   #279
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneandDone View Post
If you keep the valves closed, I feel like it is quieter than the stock exhaust throughout the rev range. Opening up the valves makes it significantly louder than stock in all modes. I will say that the stock exhaust with valves open sounds better than the MPE with valves closed. However, when I do open up the valves, it makes me very happy every time.

Cools - thanks very much for the reply on my query. I'm really surprised to hear that it's quieter than stock with the valves closed! That's definitely a good thing when I want a more laid back and comfortable drive. I do like that it's got a jekell and hyde character!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #280
coldM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw340iMPPSK/BmwM2MPE

Think this is the right thread to ask the question. I have a -16 M2 with MPE. The blueetooth button has always been quite a pain but manageble still for about a year. Recently (past few weeks) the bluetooth button has been acting so strange. It takes me like 20 clicks for it to open up but it still doesnt indicate that the battery is low since its still working. Has anyone notices this before? Sometimes it wont even open up or show anything on the button untill i restart the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #281
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldM2 View Post
Think this is the right thread to ask the question. I have a -16 M2 with MPE. The blueetooth button has always been quite a pain but manageble still for about a year. Recently (past few weeks) the bluetooth button has been acting so strange. It takes me like 20 clicks for it to open up but it still doesnt indicate that the battery is low since its still working. Has anyone notices this before? Sometimes it wont even open up or show anything on the button untill i restart the car.
Replace the battery. It cost like 25 cents. If that don't change thing, then start thinking of other stuff it could be.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:50 AM   #282
coldM2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Replace the battery. It cost like 25 cents. If that don't change thing, then start thinking of other stuff it could be.
Will do this today but it has its feature indicating "low battery" and it has never shown..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:53 AM   #283
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Will do this today but it has its feature indicating "low battery" and it has never shown..
Mine never indicated a low battery warning. Instead the remote would intermittently not work. Replacing the battery fix it.

I think maybe the low battery warning levels are set to low. For example, the warning is set to come on at 0.3v, but the remote starts misbehaving when the battery is at 0.5v.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:40 PM   #284
coldM2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Mine never indicated a low battery warning. Instead the remote would intermittently not work. Replacing the battery fix it.

I think maybe the low battery warning levels are set to low. For example, the warning is set to come on at 0.3v, but the remote starts misbehaving when the battery is at 0.5v.
Might be the case! Yesterday it worked almost perfectly while i was trying to figure out how to open the thing.. Anyone that could link a pic showing how to replace it?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 01:02 PM   #285
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Might be the case! Yesterday it worked almost perfectly while i was trying to figure out how to open the thing.. Anyone that could link a pic showing how to replace it?
You twist off the bottom plastic cap... counter-clockwise. The battery itself is hard to remove, I bent a paperclip into an L to reach in and under it to pull it out.

Which reminds me to order batteries, cause I noticed my battery is low this morning. I know you said there is supposed to be a low battery warning on it, which I never noticed before. What mine does is not do anything at all when I double press it. But sometimes it will light while I'm in the middle of a press.

I have a feeling keeping the remote in the car when it's hot out is prematurely killing batteries. Maybe there is an actual low battery warning, but the heat is making it drain to dead before a warning is shown.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 08:43 AM   #286
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
How does the MPE on the OG sound in comfort mode? Is it noticeably louder than stock for daily driving say under 3k rpm?

I'm looking to get an MPE but did want to find out if it can be on the mild side if driven in comfort under certain rpms.
The valves open and it gets louder

Comfort doesnt have as much burbles as sport mode
Appreciate 0