BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Stuck at Port (VPC) for 6 weeks and counting. What would you do?

01-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Stuck at Port (VPC) for 6 weeks and counting. What would you do?

My European Delivery was an awesome experience (second ED in four years and fourth BMW in a row). However, everything since then has become a nightmare.

I dropped off my M2C in Germany in early November and it arrived Baltimore on December 10th and has since made the VPC its home. After several weeks of no real information, I was told that they ran into a problem converting the German maps to the US maps and had ordered a replacement head unit. To me I can't comprehend why a new hardware part would be needed to solve a programming/software issue but that's another issue.

Six weeks in and still no completion date as they're still awaiting the part. I've escalated a case with BMWNA who've instructed me to hang tight for another couple of weeks after which I can submit for compensation for the time it has been held up (assuming it actually clears in that time). Compensation would factor in items such as property tax, insurance, depreciation, etc. If it's still stuck at that point I would be able to potentially pursue a re-order or exchange for a landed one.

At this point, I'm not so sure I even want a car that has been sitting around at the VPC for 6 weeks exposed to the elements (snow storms, below freezing temperatures), random repair work, and possibly other damages. I put down over 40k in October pre-ED that has been tied up in this car that has been held up for repairs I did not authorize.

Had this not been a European delivery, I would have simply cancelled the order without any concerns. The ED has added a further layer of complication that would not exist for a standard US delivery (having to finalize contract pre-ED delivery).

Has anybody had a similar experience? What would you do in my shoes? Just very fed up at this point with this experience.

Last edited by five3three; 01-22-2019 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
ONLYA6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M '19 M2C

Mine arrived at the same time and I'm just now picking it up at the Performance Center Friday. It sat at port up until last week. Be patient. ED/PCD adds further delays to be prepared for.
      01-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

If you suspect the car has been damaged and BMW NA keeps stringing you along, it's probably worth 30 minutes with a lawyer who is well versed in NJ business law.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #4
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Sorry to hear about your delay. Mine was also delayed, but not nearly as long as yours. I had to give up on the PCD because it was going to cause extra delay.

Anyway, I would do everything in my power to get another one. I definitely would not want a new car with this big of an issue already.

Good luck bro!
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYA6 View Post
Mine arrived at the same time and I'm just now picking it up at the Performance Center Friday. It sat at port up until last week. Be patient. ED/PCD adds further delays to be prepared for.
Glad to hear it finally came through for you and hope there are no issues when you pick it up. I think I've definitely been patient having hit the 6 week mark but that is wearing thin at this point without so much as an expected completion date. Apparently they can't provide that as they're still waiting for the head unit to arrive and don't know when.

No way I will take this car if it hits 8 weeks. I'd rather reorder a non-ED/PCD vehicle at that point.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:21 PM   #6
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
If you suspect the car has been damaged and BMW NA keeps stringing you along, it's probably worth 30 minutes with a lawyer who is well versed in NJ business law.
I was going to give BMWNA a chance to make it right before going to that although a consultation may not be a bad thing. Would NJ have jurisdiction? Purchased through a dealer and they serve the fulfillment aspect.

I know it doesn't take 6 weeks to order a part from Germany so definitely something doesn't add up. It could be something as innocent as somebody forgetting to put in an order or not prioritizing an order. Or it could be something they're trying to cover up.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #7
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Sorry to hear about your delay. Mine was also delayed, but not nearly as long as yours. I had to give up on the PCD because it was going to cause extra delay.

Anyway, I would do everything in my power to get another one. I definitely would not want a new car with this big of an issue already.

Good luck bro!
Thanks. I'm also supposed to do PCD but I could care less about it at this point as it would add even more time. I'm definitely not thrilled about the idea of taking this vehicle on at this point.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #8
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

How does ED work? Do you buy the car and sign everything off before you pick it up in Welt?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #9
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
How does ED work? Do you buy the car and sign everything off before you pick it up in Welt?
Yes. Entire contract is finalized before welt pickup. Any payments, financing, lease papers, etc are due at that time.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #10
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

You've actually got the upper hand. IMO be patient and make sure BMW NA is aware that once the car is transported to you, you will not accept it until you do a full inspection to your satisfaction. Check everything, take it for a drive etc. before taking ownership. If there's an issue you can work out a deal or deny the car altogether, get compensated and order new. 2¢
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #11
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
You've actually got the upper hand. IMO be patient and make sure BMW NA is aware that once the car is transported to you, you will not accept it until you do a full inspection to your satisfaction. Check everything, take it for a drive etc. before taking ownership. If there's an issue you can work out a deal or deny the car altogether, get compensated and order new. 2¢
Thanks for your input. I will follow up with BMW again this week so they are aware of the ongoing problem. If the car does make it through in the next week or so I will definitely give it a complete evaluation since with each passing day I am more and more suspicious of the claims. I will hang on until the 8 week mark after which I will likely no longer consider delivery of this one an option.

Just hoping I can have something sorted by the time the weather gets nice. I have a new set of 763s just collecting dust.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #12
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Yes. Entire contract is finalized before welt pickup. Any payments, financing, lease papers, etc are due at that time.
Not having my car for 6 weeks would be fairly upsetting especially as I'm making payments and wondering what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #13
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Not having my car for 6 weeks would be fairly upsetting especially as I'm making payments and wondering what's going on.

6 weeks is just since it has been sitting at the vpc. it is over 10 weeks since dropoff in Germany. I was thrilled to drop it off with no damage and expected it to fly right through the process.

I am quite pissed about the lack of communication and transparency during this process. Any information I have is from me reaching out and pushing for details. Dealer and genius just have generic info about car location. Euro delivery folks had to reach out to their VPC contacts to get details.
Appreciate 0