BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > What did you do to your M2 today?

05-20-2016, 10:06 PM   #221
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
I've already taken suhc a huge hit with this car early on in my career which I'm lucky enough to be able to do, I just thought to myself that I shouldn't blow money in that amount for a while... I want the stealth, maybe in a year or two.
Smart move. My first BMW was an HEA E46 M3 in 2001. I was roughly the same age you are now. I didn't do a single thing to it other than upgrade the tires once the stock ones wore out. Don't blow your future car budget today. You have much time (and dollars) ahead of you.
Appreciate 3
      05-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #222
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
I've already taken suhc a huge hit with this car early on in my career which I'm lucky enough to be able to do, I just thought to myself that I shouldn't blow money in that amount for a while... I want the stealth, maybe in a year or two.
LOL I think I've done the same thing, look on the bright side, they gotta catch you first if they want to repossess it, right? :
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #223
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
First HPDE today.
Attached Images

05-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #224
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2
First HPDE today.
So how'd it go?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #225
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2
First HPDE today.
So how'd it go?
Here is a quick summary. For context my M2 is a DCT with no performance mods. Also noteworthy was that I was coming off of a 2013 135is with DCT and with substantially modified suspension. I was at the autobahn cc south track with the Windy City BMW club.

1. Faster accelerating than the 135is but not dramatically so.
2. Handling is far superior even considering that my 135 had aftermarket suspension and tires. The M2 is balanced, firm, and very tossable yet easy to control if you get a little looser than you had planned.
3. There is very little understeer despite the staggered setup. All my previous BMWs I've squared up with aftermarket wheels and tires. Once the factory mpss tires are spent I may reduce the stagger from 2 sizes to 1 but it's arguable as to whether that is required. Turn in is quick and wear on the outer front edge of the front tire is only slightly higher than on the rear.
4. The mpss tires work very well. They were singing virtually all of every session but they held up fine. I'll replace with something stickier once worn but no reason to spend the cash before then.
5. The tpms system needs a bypass track mode switch. After each session I would come in and adjust the hot tire pressures. I had reduced them down to about 35 hot. After cooling and at the start of the next session after half a lap the sensor indicated that the pressure as low. It then inhibited the throttle, the shifts were slowed, and the dsc was enabled. I had to heat the tires up, come into the pit, reset the tpms, and then come back out. All was fine after that. This only happened once.
6. Brakes held up fine. I'd like some more grip but most importantly they never faded and were always there. After 6 session there is plenty of pad.
7. 6.5 mpg.
8. The software tune on the DCT is far inferior to that on the 135is. The 135is was telepathic and lightning fast. The m2 is not. If you lift slightly for an instant, while in D, under hard acceleration and at high revs the 135 DCT would up shift. Not on the m2. Sequential mode is laggy. Up shift or downshift and the trans takes a moment to respond. The 135 was instantaneous. Finally, the firmness of the shifts is comparatively soft.
9. I didn't realize that sport plus did not deactivate dtc. The dtc was very intrusive. So just hit DSC Off and ignore the sport and sport plus setting because they are overridden by the dsc setting.

This car is very quick on the track. I was only .6 seconds slower than an m4 with sport cups on and faster than most other cars in my run group. A Porsche and highly modded cars were the only thing that seemed to be able to easily take me on.

That's all for now.
      05-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #226
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Good stuff. The Autobahn is close by and I can't wait to take my car there. I like their track setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #227
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I installed iND body color front reflectors and also installed BMW "locked" lug nuts.

The iND body color reflectors look like shit in photos and I never would have done it if I hadn't of seen a 4-series with it done in person. Then it was a no-brainer. I added some notes to their guide:http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1250388.

Last edited by Kantalias; 05-22-2016 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 11:27 PM   #228
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
Here is a quick summary. For context my M2 is a DCT with no performance mods. Also noteworthy was that I was coming off of a 2013 135is with DCT and with substantially modified suspension. I was at the autobahn cc south track with the Windy City BMW club.

1. Faster accelerating than the 135is but not dramatically so.
2. Handling is far superior even considering that my 135 had aftermarket suspension and tires. The M2 is balanced, firm, and very tossable yet easy to control if you get a little looser than you had planned.
3. There is very little understeer despite the staggered setup. All my previous BMWs I've squared up with aftermarket wheels and tires. Once the factory mpss tires are spent I may reduce the stagger from 2 sizes to 1 but it's arguable as to whether that is required. Turn in is quick and wear on the outer front edge of the front tire is only slightly higher than on the rear.
4. The mpss tires work very well. They were singing virtually all of every session but they held up fine. I'll replace with something stickier once worn but no reason to spend the cash before then.
5. The tpms system needs a bypass track mode switch. After each session I would come in and adjust the hot tire pressures. I had reduced them down to about 35 hot. After cooling and at the start of the next session after half a lap the sensor indicated that the pressure as low. It then inhibited the throttle, the shifts were slowed, and the dsc was enabled. I had to heat the tires up, come into the pit, reset the tpms, and then come back out. All was fine after that. This only happened once.
6. Brakes held up fine. I'd like some more grip but most importantly they never faded and were always there. After 6 session there is plenty of pad.
7. 6.5 mpg.
8. The software tune on the DCT is far inferior to that on the 135is. The 135is was telepathic and lightning fast. The m2 is not. If you lift slightly for an instant, while in D, under hard acceleration and at high revs the 135 DCT would up shift. Not on the m2. Sequential mode is laggy. Up shift or downshift and the trans takes a moment to respond. The 135 was instantaneous. Finally, the firmness of the shifts is comparatively soft.
9. I didn't realize that sport plus did not deactivate dsc. So just enable it and ignore the sport and sport plus setting because they are overridden by the dsc setting.

This car is very quick on the track. I was only .6 seconds slower than an m4 with sport cups on and faster than most other cars in my run group. A Porsche and highly modded cars were the only thing that seemed to be able to easily take me on.

That's all for now.
#8. When you turn DSC off it reverts throttle to the sport setting so I am wondering if it also changes the DCT tune to sport. Shifting is a lot better in sport+ but then your stuck in MDM mode. I think I heard that there is a Euro MDM tune/coding that makes it less intrusive, where can we get that? I'm also wondering if there is a way to code DSC off while in sport+?
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #229
CDN
Belgium
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 DCT

Yesterday: picked it up went for a long drive. From Belgium through the Netherlands and into Germany, stopped by the Nürburgring to take a break (saw one AW M2 with German temp plates and an ///MTour sticker - anyone from here?), continued towards Luxembourg and also quickly over the border into France so we could say we did 5 countries on delivery day before heading home.

Today: about to head off for another drive!
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #230
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
#8. When you turn DSC off it reverts throttle to the sport setting so I am wondering if it also changes the DCT tune to sport. Shifting is a lot better in sport+ but then your stuck in MDM mode. I think I heard that there is a Euro MDM tune/coding that makes it less intrusive, where can we get that? I'm also wondering if there is a way to code DSC off while in sport+?
I thought DSC was turned off while in Sport+? This seems to be the case in my 6MT. DTC remains on (MDM mode)...

-c
2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #231
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pup73
Quote:
I thought DSC was turned off while in Sport+? This seems to be the case in my 6MT. DTC remains on (MDM mode)...

-c
You are correct. I should have said dtc and not dsc. I'll correct my post. On the track though the dtc was kicking on all of the time so I quickly learned 'when on track do not touch sport or sport plus just hit DSC off and go'.
Attached Images

05-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #232
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
You are correct. I should have said dtc and not dsc. I'll correct my post. On the track though the dtc was kicking on all of the time so I quickly learned 'when on track do not touch sport or sport plus just hit DSC off and go'.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #233
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Post break-in stage and 2000km/1200mi maintenance (BMW lifted the pre-2000km break-in limits). The bonding continues.

Granted the grey pussycat to flex its muscles and stretch its paws a little more. But the yearning itches for some more one-on-one quality time to venture around for longer stints on the Autobahn and twisties.

As it may be floored more now (2 to 5K km), I finally could play a bit with the overboost surge. And yes, it damn pushes (couldn't technically say 'it pulls' for a RWD). Planted: firmly keeping its feet on the ground while bringing all the power down. As many already pointed out, the M2 is more 'indulgent' than the 1M (the 1M can be a handful, more rebel, under some circumstances).

The M Performance Exhaust purrs, gurgles, burbles and bangs in a cool way in SPORT mode and SPORT+ mode. With the feet and hands working the 6MT in close harmony + the Bluetooth MPE remote, you decide how it meows and claws the way you like it best: kitty-kitty or tiger.

Rev-match is a bit of a wail like when stepping by accident on a cat's tail (in slow city traffic you wish you could switch it off - DSC OFF to achieve this is a no-no in my book). Too bad that BMW did not give us an on/off button, alike the SPORT button in the Cayman GT4.

And then there is also the 'GRIN MODE': those overruns whenever suddenly lifting the gas pedal during acceleration. Normally you ignore tailgating cars - eventually slow down to force them to pass. However, if you happen to be in a rather mischievous mood and a tailgating car has an open driver's window: let the tailgating car overtake you, first allow that car to move to the right lane further down the road, then move closer, get in the left lane to overtake, floor the gas pedal and release it with revs somewhere North of the 4K rpm mark exactly when passing the open driver's window: believe me, the sound of the overrun inside that other car is outright brutal. Frantic faces in your rear view mirror. Alternative: keep the revs sub 3K rpm and downshift one gear right when passing: the rev match wail can also be a pretty scary surprise (alike a biker who makes clear with a brief revs swoop that he's not quite amused by some situation of disrespect).

Also further toyed with the programmable seats settings to get the most convenient position for me: seat height level at absolute minimum + maximum seat tilt to lift the knees + creep forward but arm wrists rest on the top of the steering wheel to determine distance (experiment with the steering wheel setting: higher/lower + pull out/push in) + finally, position the backrest and steering wheel together to allow a decent overview of the instrument cluster (manage to see both the orange/green cruise control dot above the 120 km/h mark + the last line of the onboard computer at the bottom) + inflatable side pads to be properly squeezed in. You feel more one with the machine.

I wish that I could have the full 'accelerator pedal characteristic mode' (remap) of the SPORT+ mode already available in (safer) SPORT mode. With the 1M life was easier on the safe side: simply push the M button on the steering wheel and you're in SPORT mode. Then you already got the full accelerator pedal characteristic mode (it's a remap: more sensitive accelerator) + all nannies are still active. If you want to send some 1M nannies away, get into M Dynamic Mode (MDM) in the 1M. Impossible in the M2: true that SPORT mode is already better than COMFORT mode. However if you want the full accelerator pedal characteristic mode (remap) you must inevitably send a couple of nannies away: SPORT+ mode.

05-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #234
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The guy who coded my car listed Euro MDM as an option; although his list of coding options was actually for F22's, so I'm not sure if the Euro MDM applies to ///M2's. I didn't bother to ask him.

His website is codemycar.com

-c
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #235
FAN_F1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2 / 2009 997.2 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN View Post
Yesterday: picked it up went for a long drive. From Belgium through the Netherlands and into Germany, stopped by the Nürburgring to take a break (saw one AW M2 with German temp plates and an ///MTour sticker - anyone from here?), continued towards Luxembourg and also quickly over the border into France so we could say we did 5 countries on delivery day before heading home.

Today: about to head off for another drive!
Yup! That's me. Epic days!

Nurburgring ring yesterday and today!

To Zandvoort tomorrow.

Spa Francorchamps Thursday.

#CentennialMTour
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #236
CDN
Belgium
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 DCT

FAN_F1: Was the whole group there yesterday? I only spotted one car (yours, I guess) with the sticker. We were the LBB M2 with Belgian plates, but you probably didn't see us, we only parked and walked around a while. Anyway, hope the weather improves a bit for you guys, doesn't look so good for the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #237
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Trunk organizer attached to trunk tie downs: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1265168.

Supplemental door seals for acoustic benefits: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1265176.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 06:43 PM   #238
1M Tex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M Coupe, AW,

M2

Got a ticket for no front license plate.
Required in Texas.
??
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2016, 07:59 PM   #239
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M Tex
Got a ticket for no front license plate.
Required in Texas.
??
Got pulled over for the same on my way back from Spartanburg the day after I picked up my car. He gave me a warning though instead of a ticket so I lucked out.

See officer friendly in the back. I was going to ask home for a picture but figured I was pushing my luck so snuck this one in instead.
Attached Images

05-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #240
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

is MDM in the US that restrictive? Wow. These are great things to know.

I do enjoy the throttle the best in Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:28 PM   #241
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
I do enjoy the throttle the best in Sport+.
In SPORT+ the throttle response is set to maximum (SPORT+). Thus more sensitive than DSC OFF, SPORT and COMFORT.
      05-24-2016, 03:40 PM   #242
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
More ///M stuff
Attached Images

Appreciate 0