BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > BMW M QA Testing

10-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #23
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
So I'm curious now. What all does happen during "rework"? I guess I'm bored today LOL
Too much actually.
It all depends on what supplier needs to do those types of rework before shipping. (Quality issues)
For me, it involved taking the dash apart, accessing a module to replace a config file. This was before it had the OTA capability.
For another company, it was replacing wire harnesses because rodents will chew up the corn-oil based insulations.
I’ve even seen workers using pry bars to adjust panel alignments...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #24
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
For me, it involved taking the dash apart, accessing a module to replace a config file. This was before it had the OTA capability.
For another company, it was replacing wire harnesses because rodents will chew up the corn-oil based insulations.
I’ve even seen workers using pry bars to adjust panel alignments...
That sounds more like warranty work and repair versus random QA, unless EVERY car was pulled for this, then it was recall or manufacturing defects. I cannot imagine BMW used pry bars to take OPs car apart
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #25
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That sounds more like warranty work and repair versus random QA, unless EVERY car was pulled for this, then it was recall or manufacturing defects. I cannot imagine BMW used pry bars to take OPs car apart
Oh, I’m not saying his was molested this way.
Just answering what gets done from time to time by suppliers when they find a lot/batch that was defective, shipped and assembled into finished goods.
Warranty is much much more expensive for the suppliers, so they send their engineers and operators to OEM plant to ‘rework’ the affected cars that are already built and awaiting shipping.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #26
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Again, I’d like to disclose that I have no experience working with German OEMs.
From what I’ve been informed, their quality control and handling of rework/CA process seems to be much more tight and strict compared to domestic & Asian brands.

The way newer revisions find the way into newer MY vehicles is the main reason why I never buy the first MY.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 11:29 AM   #27
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Just answering what gets done from time to time by suppliers when they find a lot/batch that was defective, shipped and assembled into finished goods.
Warranty is much much more expensive for the suppliers, so they send their engineers and operators to OEM plant to ‘rework’ the affected cars that are already built and awaiting shipping.
Understood, but what you are describing is not the QA that BMW is doing on OPs car. Yours is more defect fixing/repair prior to sale. OP will be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 05:25 PM   #28
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Understood, but what you are describing is not the QA that BMW is doing on OPs car. Yours is more defect fixing/repair prior to sale. OP will be just fine.
I don't know that for sure BigKutta . I'm only going on what I've been "told" so far. I agree, the 60km doesn't bother me if it was ACTUALLY QA testing under testing guidelines, but I want them to prove that's what it was and not just hiding a specific manufacturing problem with my car.

I'll reiterate though, and I've said it to them, I really don't think it's appropriate that they select a customer ordered car for BMW to verify their manufacturing tolerances etc under QA. Pick a dealer stock car instead.

The ball is in their court now to fix this...

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3896.50
      10-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #29
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaws View Post
I'll reiterate though, and I've said it to them, I really don't think it's appropriate that they select a customer ordered car for BMW to verify their manufacturing tolerances etc under QA. Pick a dealer stock car instead.
+1XXXXXXXXXX
Totally agree. I would be upset if my car had that many "test" miles. I had something like 11 when i picked mine up. Well, i think it was 11 before my test drive and it ended up being 19.
My 350Z had something like 24, but then again, it also was made in Japan and had to be brought up on a boat. I would imagine domestic cars having much lower miles.
It sucks that this is hampering the new car experience.
Moflow2484.50
      10-02-2020, 07:44 PM   #30
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh, I'm not saying his was molested this way.
Warranty is much much more expensive for the suppliers, so they send their engineers and operators to OEM plant to 'rework' the affected cars that are already built and awaiting shipping.
I don't know that for sure BigKutta . I'm only going on what I've been "told" so far. I agree, the 60km doesn't bother me if it was ACTUALLY QA testing under testing guidelines, but I want them to prove that's what it was and not just hiding a specific manufacturing problem with my car.

In all my years of research, I never once heard of "quality assurance" testing; it sounds like 100% bullcrap to me.

All BMWs, before they leave the factory, are tested for defects, on a dynamometer, - no vehicle is ever specifically singled out for further research.

With that said, it's up to you to accept this claim. I honestly not sure what I would of done in this situation but I my BS meter would of certainly been off the chart because I maintain an active mistrust of everyone and everything but that's just me..

Forward the video below to the 28:30 point, this is a typical factory run-through testing:

Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      10-04-2020, 08:22 AM   #31
mahdeys
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
In all my years of research, I never once heard of "quality assurance" testing; it sounds like 100% bullcrap to me.

All BMWs, before they leave the factory, are tested for defects, on a dynamometer, - no vehicle is ever specifically singled out for further research.

With that said, it's up to you to accept this claim. I honestly not sure what I would of done in this situation but I my BS meter would of certainly been off the chart because I maintain an active mistrust of everyone and everything but that's just me..

Forward the video below to the 28:30 point, this is a typical factory run-through testing:

Hate to say it sir, but just because your "research" doesn't net you a result, does not mean it does not happen. Every manufacturer will pull random vehicles, engines, transmissions and components for QA.

I can't believe this is such a foreign concept to some of you.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      10-04-2020, 08:32 AM   #32
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdeys View Post
Quote:

Hate to say it sir, but just because your "research" doesn't net you a result, does not mean it does not happen. Every manufacturer will pull random vehicles, engines, transmissions and components for QA.

I can't believe this is such a foreign concept to some of you.
I said I, personally, never heard of of any such testing, I never saying I have empirical data to back up my experience. So, in my skeptical mind state, it sounds like hot-air, until proven otherwise..

Now, If you something to contradict this, then I'm all ears and is always willing to accept new factual information.

So please, wow me with your retort..
Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
Moflow2484.50
      10-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #33
ngflieger
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

A very long time ago, I worked as an inspector for Porsche at their PDI facility on the east coast. When the cars came off the boats, they would go though a multiple point inspection which included them going on a lift to check the underbody.

For example, we were instructed to pull a car for a "QA check" if we saw any sign of fluid on the underbody (Brake, Transmission, Engine, Coolant, etc.). It could be something as dumb as someone at the factory leaving an oily handprint on the engine case, but Porsche did not want to risk warranty/customer satisfaction hit and they would review the car and check the seals for leaks.

For the appearance, we also checked all the body panels, wheels and tires in these light tunnels for visual defects/blemishes and would routinely send cars back for the smallest things that took bright lighting and magnification to see.

Bottom line, QA check does not mean something bad. On the contrary, it is an advantage that it had the extra attention to make sure it the car is in the best condition for delivery.
Appreciate 2
Superdaws114.00
///AVM2528.00
      10-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #34
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngflieger View Post
A very long time ago, I worked as an inspector for Porsche at their PDI facility on the east coast. When the cars came off the boats, they would go though a multiple point inspection which included them going on a lift to check the underbody.

For example, we were instructed to pull a car for a "QA check" if we saw any sign of fluid on the underbody (Brake, Transmission, Engine, Coolant, etc.). It could be something as dumb as someone at the factory leaving an oily handprint on the engine case, but Porsche did not want to risk warranty/customer satisfaction hit and they would review the car and check the seals for leaks.

For the appearance, we also checked all the body panels, wheels and tires in these light tunnels for visual defects/blemishes and would routinely send cars back for the smallest things that took bright lighting and magnification to see.

Bottom line, QA check does not mean something bad. On the contrary, it is an advantage that it had the extra attention to make sure it the car is in the best condition for delivery.
Couldn't agree more. Checking a car randomly for perfectness would be normal. What you describe is visually checking over a car.

The bit I find hard to justify in my case is they had to drive it 50+ km to achieve this QA process, and then to do this randomly on a customer ordered car. I'm not against them performing QA at all, and if that's what it was then so be it, im not sure yet. I've asked them to justify it and provide me details in writing. Still waiting to hear...

Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-04-2020, 10:46 PM   #35
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

Ford does this same thing and will add an additional sticker to one of the windows stating the miles driven and what was tested. It’s ok your car will be just fine.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      10-08-2020, 02:31 AM   #36
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Update -

Received a letter from BMW stating that my car had been randomly selected for quality assessment. No specific testing details were provided, but they did state that tests were only conducted in a BMW plant environment and that all operations were conducted in accordance with the operating manual inc. running in procedures. My car passed all quality tests and had no defects attended to.

Based on this i decided to accept the car. Delivery should be tomorrow. 238days (7 months 25 days) after signing. Looking forward to getting it!

Appreciate 4
Poochie9103.00
AUSf222688.50
///AVM2528.00
boss2k1070.50
      10-08-2020, 03:21 AM   #37
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update -

Received a letter BMW stating that my car had been randomly selected for quality assessment. No specific testing details were provided, but they did state that tests were only conducted in a BMW plant environment and that all operations were conducted in accordance with the operating manual inc. running in procedures. My car passed all quality tests and had no defects attended to.

Based on this i decided to accept the car. Delivery should be tomorrow. 238days (7 months 25 days) after signing. Looking forward to getting it!
I guess it was nothing, they probably just wanted to make sure your Flux Capacitor was fully activated, before delivery

I could live with that, official letter and all, even it's the first time I've every heard of this 🤷🏻

Anyways, enjoy your new ride 👍🏻
Appreciate 2
Superdaws114.00
Moflow2484.50
      10-08-2020, 03:35 AM   #38
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Update -

Received a letter BMW stating that my car had been randomly selected for quality assessment. No specific testing details were provided, but they did state that tests were only conducted in a BMW plant environment and that all operations were conducted in accordance with the operating manual inc. running in procedures. My car passed all quality tests and had no defects attended to.

I guess it was nothing, they probably just wanted to make sure your Flux Capacitor was fully activated, before delivery

I could live with that, official letter and all, even it's the first time I've every heard of this 🤷🏻

Anyways, enjoy your new ride 👍🏻
Cheers I will!

After having a longer period to think about it, given the post COVID closure production changes etc and mine being a manual (maybe even the 1st manual out post closure) might have had something to do with the "random" selection. Probably not, doesn't matter...

Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
Moflow2484.50
      10-08-2020, 04:05 AM   #39
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Woohoo! the moment you take the car out for a good drive you'll forget about all the extra QA kms.

Congrats! excited for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 05:44 AM   #40
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Update -

Received a letter from BMW stating that my car had been randomly selected for quality assessment. No specific testing details were provided, but they did state that tests were only conducted in a BMW plant environment and that all operations were conducted in accordance with the operating manual inc. running in procedures. My car passed all quality tests and had no defects attended to.

There you go, no conspiracy, and your car checked out great. You'll put more Kms on it the first day, and you'll be too busy grinning to care

Last edited by BigKutta; 10-08-2020 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #41
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Nice, enjoy your new car
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #42
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Good peace of mind but i would ask them for extended warranty or some sort of comp off because they used my car for random testing
      10-09-2020, 03:41 AM   #43
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

This makes up for it...

Appreciate 8
Poochie9103.00
bri10425895.00
boss2k1070.50
BigKutta3896.50
Mavallone164.50
Davil6487.00
ESB1014.50
APH45.00
      10-14-2020, 12:36 PM   #44
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Looks used, how many miles were on that thing when you bought it?

Sorry couldn't resist.

Current: 2021 X3M
Gone but not forgotten: 2020 M2C LBB MT
Appreciate 1