BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > PROJECT BIG TURBO: N55 M2 w/Garrett GTX3584RS turbo looking for 650whp

09-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #1
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Exclamation PROJECT BIG TURBO: N55 M2 w/Garrett GTX3584RS turbo looking for 650whp

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
PROJECT BIG TURBO: N55 M2 with Garrett GTX3584RS turbo looking for 650whp

My M2 journey started in January 2018 when I walked into a BMW dealership to see a Long Beach Blue example on the showroom floor, and unintentionally ended up leaving with the car. Not my first BMW, but my first turbocharged car. In my youth I had leaned heavy on the JDM import scene which had taken me down the road of importing a Nissan SR20VE VVL: a 200hp normally aspirated motor exclusive to the Asian market while my buddies were importing SR20DET turbocharged motors, turbocharging their Hondas, souping up their DSM's, all while making 2-3x the horsepower of my car. I missed the turbo boat completely.

When the BMW M2 was announced with a turbo inline 6, I knew what it meant: I wasn't going to be able to leave well enough alone. I was about to make up for lost time and do all the things to this car I should have gotten out of my system in my youth. And that's where this story begins.

Within a few months of ownership, I had completed the standard bolt-ons with a Fabspeed sport cat, FTP charge pipes, Wagner comp EVO2 intercooler, and Bootmod3 stage 2 tune to compliment the M Performance (MPE) exhaust which came equipped on the car. These provided a nice bump in power, but not the power I was looking for. So began the search for a turbo upgrade.

After a year of ownership and countless research into turbo options, I took the well traveled path of a Pure Stage 2 gen 3 hybrid turbo upgrade in early 2019. Pure had just released the gen 3 version, which included a new compressor wheel promising to make big power. Coupled with an Extreme XDi-35 high pressure fuel pump, the car made 517whp @22psi on 100 octane race gas on a Dynacom dyno. Only, it didn't. See, the Dynacom is notorious for high HP readings and mine was no exception. I eventually strapped the car on a Dynojet and made 440whp @20psi on 93 octane. With stock M2's averaging 330-335whp, I had gained approximately 100whp with the PS2 and bolt-ons on pump gas. The biggest gain with the PS2 was in the top end, where the car previously fell on its face after 5,500rpm it would now easily run up to the 7,000rpm redline. This level of power would satisfy most, but as I mentioned earlier – I can't leave well enough alone.

Moving to a stage 3 turbo is a big undertaking requiring a lot of careful thought and planning. Going in, I knew I wanted a Borg Warner or Garrett ball bearing turbo for quicker spool and reliability, which eliminated options like Big Boost with their Brazilian manufactured Masterpower turbo. As for N55 bottom mount options, this really only left Speedtech. I began conversations with Jeff at Speedtech while initially leaning towards the Borg Warner EFR8374 turbo. This full frame turbo would have easily done the job, but the housing is huge requiring movement of the stock water pump. It also incorporates an internal wastegate into the housing, which can be good or bad depending on who you ask.

Jeff began steering me towards the Garrett line, which I was initially against until I began more research. The new G-series turbos are simply amazing and are a clean sheet design incorporating cutting edge technology with no shared components from previous turbocharger designs. I focused my sights on the G30-900 and G35-900 turbos, with the primary difference being their spool characteristics. Whereas the G30 spools lower with less top end, the G35 spools a little later with more top end. Unfortunately, this wasn't to be as I learned all of the G-series turbos have a v-band flange and wouldn't fit the Speedtech T-04 flange manifold. In fact, I couldn't find any other N55 bottom mount turbo kit options which included a v-band flange. Back to the drawing board.

Just as I started to lean back towards the Borg Warner EFR series, I came across the Garrett GTX-3584RS gen2 turbo. Like the G-series, this turbo was also a clean sheet design incorporating a new turbine wheel designed to make more power in a mid-sized frame. Better yet, it was available in a 1.06 A/R housing with a T-04 flange. To further reinforce this turbo choice, I learned YouTuber Adam LZ used this same turbo on his stock bottom end N54 engine and made 800hp ~30psi. GTX-3584RS it is.

To provide the additional fuel needed for the stage 3 setup, we added a new high pressure fuel pump (HPFP), low pressure fuel pump (LPFP), and EKP low pressure fuel pump controller. Replacing the stock LPFP in the fuel tank with a Walbro 525 gives us plenty of headroom with the ability to flow 470lph, which is over 50% more than stock and good for ~700hp. The downside of the new LPFP is more electrical current draw, causing the stock EKP fuel controller to potentially overheat and shutdown. To remedy this, we went with the Evolution of Speed (EoS) BPM4 Low Pressure Fuel Pump EKP Controller which provides the added benefit to monitor and adjust the LPFP duty cycle. Finally, we swapped out the XDi-35 high pressure fuel pump in favor of a Dorch stage 2. The Dorch stage 2 pump can flow 75% more than stock and claims the ability to flow up to 650whp on pump gas; and we intend to find the limits of this combination and extract every ounce we can get. For now, we intend to stick to the primary fuel system without adding port injection or secondary injectors.

Selecting a stage 3 turbo without an integrated wastegate or diverter valve means we'll need other options to control boost. We'll be running a Turbosmart Gen5 HyperGate 45mm external wastegate coupled with a Big Bubba 50mm Blow-off valve (BOV). The M2 uses a mass airflow (MAF) sensor to measure the rate of air entering the engine, which can complicate the use of a BOV vented to atmosphere causing a rich condition every time the valve is opened because the DME thinks the air is still within the system. Subsequently, we will be recirculating the vented air back into the intake to keep the MAF happy. This also means none of the cool blowoff noises normally associated with an aftermarket turbo. Since the DME will no longer have control over the wastegate, boost control will be provided by a Turbosmart eBoost2 electronic boost valve controller.

Heat robs power from engines, and proper cooling with a big turbo is a must. One limitation causing heat within the factory turbo is the exhaust manifold port design. The small ports within the stock manifold help increase port velocity and work well on the stock turbo at 15psi of boost, but when you begin tuning the car to 18-20psi and port velocity increases, heat can quickly become a factor. This is exacerbated further with a hybrid turbo when you start pushing 22+psi through the stock manifold. The bigger ports in the Speedtech T-04 manifold are literally 243% larger than stock, resulting in less backpressure and restriction of exhaust gasses going into the new larger turbo and subsequently create less heat.

To help with intake temperatures (IAT's), we will be replacing our Wagner EVO2 Competition intercooler with the new EVO3. The huge tube-and-fin style EVO3 provides a 165% larger frontal area and 223% more volume compared to the stock intercooler. The end tanks have been redesigned using CFD for the best possible internal airflow, while the inlet and outlet has been optimized resulting in less pressure drop than both the stock intercooler and its EVO2 predecessor. We'll see if this all holds true in testing.

One area often overlooked to control heat is a turbo blanket. A properly sized turbo blanket shrouds the turbo, keeping the hot side hot and preventing heat from damaging other parts of the engine. Independent tests have confirmed using a turbo blanket can help your turbo spool 200-300rpm faster as the hotter exhaust gasses help spool the turbine wheel. We will be using a PTP Turbo blanket for our application.

Leaving no stone unturned, we will also be coating the turbo housing, exhaust manifold, downpipe, and wastegate dump tubing with ceramic coating. Having previous experience with SwainTech's White Lightning ceramic coating on our Fabspeed SportCat, this time we will be using Jet Hot Coating's Ultra Extreme 2500 ceramic coating on these parts to provide a thermal barrier, help keep the engine cool and provide corrosion resistance.

With the added heat created in vicinity of the turbo, concerns about stress cracking and metal fatigue become a concern. After ceramic coating, plans call for Cryogenic treatment to further harden the turbo housing and exhaust manifold. We spoke with 300 Below, who explained how the cryogenic process changes the microstructure of metals by subjecting them to super cold temperatures of -300 degrees F. This cold treatment rearranges the crystals within the metal, realigning the atomic structure and relieving stress which results in making the metal more durable. The technique is extremely popular with race teams, so we figured it was good enough for our turbo project.

Our initial power goals are in the 650whp ~25psi range with a wide power band maximizing the full potential of our new fuel pump setup through both 93 octane and E47 ethanol blend. There should be a lot left on the table with the Garrett turbo, so down the road we will probably look into a new intake manifold and secondary fuel injectors.

Installation and tuning will be performed by Kassel Performance on both Bootmod BM3 and MHD platforms (allowing for testing on each) on 93 octane, 100 octane race gas, and E47 ethanol blend. A secondary tune will be completed by Pure Boost for comparison. Pure Boost wrote the MHD OTS (off-the-shelf) maps, and we worked with Pure Boost on our previous Pure Stage 2 tune.

The parts were received back from Jet Hot Coating and 300Below cryogenic treatment and the keys were turned over to Kassel Performance for installation which began on 10/23. We are targeting mid-November for completion.

Stay tuned!

CURRENT ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN:
• Pure Stage 2 turbo gen3
• Pure turbo inlet rev2
• Xtreme-Di XDi35 HPFP
• Fabspeed 200CEL HJS sportcat w/Swaintech White Lightning ceramic coating
• Wagner EVO2 Competition intercooler
• FTP charge pipes
• DV+ Diverter Upgrade

NEW ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN:
Speedtech stage 3 external wastegate turbo kit
• Speedtech downpipe w/Jet Hot Coatings ceramic coating
• Speedtech exhaust manifold w/Jet Hot Coatings ceramic coating & 300 Below Cryogenic treatment
Garrett GTX-3584RS gen2 dual ceramic ball bearing turbo
Turbosmart Limited Edition Gen5 HyperGate 45mm external wastegate
Turbosmart Big Bubba 50mm blow off valve
Turbosmart eBoost2 electronic boost valve controller
Wagner EVO3 Competition intercooler
PTP Turbo blanket
• BMW N20 3.5 bar T-map sensor
BMW M-Performance exhaust
CSF High Performance Radiator

FUEL:
Dorch Stage 2 high pressure fuel pump (HPFP)
Fuel-it! Walbro 525 low pressure fuel pump (LPFP)
Evolution of Speed (EoS) BPM4 low pressure fuel pump EKP controller

TUNING:
• Alternating between both MHD and Bootmod BM3 platforms on custom tunes by Pure Boost and Kassel Performance.

WHEELS/TIRES:
• BMW M-Perf 763M 19" matte black wheels
• Michelin Super Sport stock size tires

SUSPENSION:
Öhlins Road & Track coilovers
BMW M2 Competition carbon fiber strut brace retrofit

OTHER:
Antigravity H7 60Ah lithium battery

COSMETICS:
BMW OEM European front bumper (received but not yet installed)
BMW OEM 2020 M240i Blackline tinted LED taillights
BMW OEM European aspherical wide view mirrors
BMW M-Perf Competition carbon fiber rear view mirrors
• BMW M-Perf carbon fiber diffuser
• BMW M-Perf black side markers
• BMW M-Perf black grill surround
AutoID M2 Competition-style front splitter (received but not yet installed)
Turner Motorports N55 carbon fiber engine cover
Acexxon honeycomb rear reflector inserts

Last edited by nothingman; 09-20-2021 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 33
ZM22783.50
BruceM983.00
F87source7177.50
skiparock182.50
Altra265.50
Jason40293.50
CPTM343.50
m20e30871143.00
Mnoob211.50
clee1982796.00
Neptune71416.00
Smiler1.50
AndrewC198910903.50
F85MTuNED1620.50
EXE462097.00
prompt292.00
      09-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #2
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The turbo kit arrived and everything looks good. Here are a few photos that I will replace will actual install photos in a few weeks. The 50mm blow-off valve is huge! No wonder they call it Big Bubba. Next step is sending parts out to Jet Hot Coatings for hi-temp ceramic coating.
Attached Images

Last edited by nothingman; 09-21-2020 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
capo1m89.00
paliknight2186.50
      09-01-2020, 08:21 PM   #3
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Looking forward to your results, Sir!

I'm lucky enough that nothingman lives not too far from me, so I can't wait to see this transformed beast in person!

Good luck and we're all rooting for you!
Appreciate 3
      09-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #4
OutoftheBlueM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Looking forward to the build!!!
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2020, 10:26 PM   #5
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Nice looking build! Plan on selling the PS2?
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2020, 11:13 PM   #6
noogaM2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

wow that's awesome! You might know this since you have done so much work on the car. What are the options out there for having the motor built? Any shops around that sell short blocks with like a closed deck conversion? Just curious
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noogaM2 View Post
wow that's awesome! You might know this since you have done so much work on the car. What are the options out there for having the motor built? Any shops around that sell short blocks with like a closed deck conversion? Just curious
I've had several motors built back in my SR20 days with forged rods and pistons, so I've been through the process. Although there are plenty or reputable engine builders out there, finding one that will follow the tighter clearance tolerances required of high performance engines can be tough. Looking for a builder with BMW experience would be a good start. Here are a few I've found:
ABR in Houston
Ghassan Automotive
Bavarian Rennsport

If I were rebuilding my N55, I would lower the compression from 10.2:1 down to around 9:1 to allow more boost with either Wiseco or JE Pistons, and Carillo or Crower rods. I would also take time to do a piston coating to help reduce friction and heat.

I would make sure the shop I am contracting to build my engine has an N55 torque plate. A torque plate is a sheet of metal with cylinder holes which is bolted to your block to simulate the stress of the head. When the two are torqued together, your cylinder bores distort slightly (instead of being completely round - imagine them being slightly oval) which can result in blowby. A torque plate is used to simulate the head on the block before honing the cylinder walls and fitting the pistons and piston rings. VAC Motorports makes a torque plate for our engines.

Next, I would make sure to use a new set of head studs to prevent the head from lifting from the block during high boost. ARP is a well known brand throughout automotive racing circles, but unfortunately they don't have anything for the N55. VAC Motorports has N55 head studs.

Lastly, if I already had my engine disassembled I would look into having the head ported. Porting allows better airflow trough both the intake and exhaust valves, can remove burrs and other spots from the casting process, and reduces turbulence allowing for more power. Head Works is an example of a good shop focused on improvements with BMW head porting.
      09-03-2020, 10:49 PM   #8
noogaM2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
I've had several motors built back in my SR20 days with forged rods and pistons, so I've been through the process. Although there are plenty or reputable engine builders out there, finding one that will follow the tighter clearance tolerances required of high performance engines can be tough. Looking for a builder with BMW experience would be a good start. Here are a few I've found:
ABR in Houston
Ghassan Automotive
Bavarian Rennsport

If I were rebuilding my N55, I would lower the compression from 10.2:1 down to around 9:1 to allow more boost with either Wiseco or JE Pistons, and Carillo or Crower rods. I would also take time to do a piston coating to help reduce friction and heat.

I would make sure the shop I am contracting to build my engine has an N55 torque plate. A torque plate is a sheet of metal with cylinder holes which is bolted to your block to simulate the stress of the head. When the two are torqued together, your cylinder bores distort slightly (instead of being completely round - imagine them being slightly oval) which can result in blowby. A torque plate is used to simulate the head on the block before honing the cylinder walls and fitting the pistons and piston rings. VAC Motorports makes a torque plate for our engines.

Next, I would make sure to use a new set of head studs to prevent the head from lifting from the block during high boost. ARP is a well known brand throughout automotive racing circles, but unfortunately they don't have anything for the N55. VAC Motorports has N55 head studs.

Lastly, if I already had my engine disassembled I would look into having the head ported. Porting allows better airflow trough both the intake and exhaust valves, can remove burrs and other spots from the casting process, and reduces turbulence allowing for more power. Head Works is an example of a good shop focused on improvements with BMW head porting.

Oh man thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #9
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Awesome build looking forward to seeing some logs and dynos with the new turbo setup.
So are you planning on selling that ps2? I'm going to be ordering mine in the next week or two and you rarely see any ps2 for sale second hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #10
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

As a fellow Speedtech n55 customer I'm really interested to see how this goes for you. Are you planning on keeping the engine stock? I also am itching for more power and am considering going the external wastegate route. Just trying to figure out if I want to stay in the EFR lineup or not, I currently have a 7670. Subbed.

Edit: Just saw your reply regarding what you'd like to do with the engine if rebuilding. Saw the shops you listed as well. I recommend getting in contact with Billy from BMB Autowerks. https://instagram.com/b_mase_monkey?igshid=moxograrhaqz info@bmbautowerks.com He has a large portfolio of built N55s, aside from his N54/S55 customers.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2020, 01:29 PM   #11
AnthraciteOG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Road & Track Build

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Wow, incredible build, such a nice engine bay.

Is that engine cover custom made or can the rest of us get it from somewhere?

Gonna need some sticky rubbers next to put down those power , perhaps some R compound on those 763Ms
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #12
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Nice build. Just added the competition carbon strut too and that Turner covers has been tempting also thinking about the eventuri intake.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #13
jdg54
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Xdrive

Nice write-up! For big power on the N55, Chris @ Motiv Motorsport is your man. He's tuned several 600+ N55s and owns an N55 himself.

Very curious to see how HPFP only will hold up. I have a few friends with 500+ N55s and most did supplement with LPFP and many with PI.

Subbing for results.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #14
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
This is amazing and a stellar guide to help take N55s past typical FBO and stage 2 tunes.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #15
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

i like this write up. Currently have a bmw 640i N55 making 586hp on race gas. Recently bought the Precision 6266 with top mount manifold by JP Werks. Swain Tech is going to coat the manifold. Have the V Wastegate but was looking for a dam BOV. You answered that question reading your post. You have an IG?
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #16
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

wow, might need wings! rocket

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #17
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Nice write up, thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #18
cactusjack
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saturn Outlook

Def need some vids soon
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 04:01 PM   #19
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Fantastic and very informative thread 👍
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #20
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenpuref3p View Post
Awesome build looking forward to seeing some logs and dynos with the new turbo setup.
So are you planning on selling that ps2? I'm going to be ordering mine in the next week or two and you rarely see any ps2 for sale second hand.
Thanks! I will be selling the PS2m but I'm sorry I already have a buyer lined up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost135i View Post
Are you planning on keeping the engine stock?
I'm keeping the engine stock for now. Maybe another year down the road and that might change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraciteOG View Post
It's available on Turner's website I linked above, and I also have a thread going about it: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1752837

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
Nice build. Just added the competition carbon strut too and that Turner covers has been tempting also thinking about the eventuri intake.
I have my eye on a custom intake I'm going to try and piece together from two different intakes. I'll update if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg54 View Post
Nice write-up! For big power on the N55, Chris @ Motiv Motorsport is your man. He's tuned several 600+ N55s and owns an N55 himself.

Very curious to see how HPFP only will hold up. I have a few friends with 500+ N55s and most did supplement with LPFP and many with PI.
I keep reaching out to Motiv and I can't get them on the phone, and they haven't answered my e-mails or Facebook messages. Any help on reaching them? I need to talk to them about the Boost Box.

Also looks like I'll need to upgrade the LPFP as part of this project. Not worth the risk overlooking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
This is amazing and a stellar guide to help take N55s past typical FBO and stage 2 tunes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by $howtime456 View Post
I like this write up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Nice write up, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
Fantastic and very informative thread 👍
Thanks everyone for the kind words!
      09-04-2020, 07:00 PM   #21
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraciteOG View Post
Wow, incredible build, such a nice engine bay.

Gonna need some sticky rubbers next to put down those power , perhaps some R compound on those 763Ms
It's a Turner engine cover. Only problem if you want the gloss version is it's backordered until February 2021. I have been trying to buy one for a year as the backorder date keeps getting pushed back further and further.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2020, 08:45 PM   #22
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
$howtime456 this man killed it on the stage 3.

Trying to reach a 100 subscribers appreciate the support: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 0