BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Shipper recommendations for buying M2C across the country

08-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Shipper recommendations for buying M2C across the country

I got rid of my M240 on Sunday and I've already got the M2C itch

From my brief conversations with dealers so far, ordering a 2021 from out of state will be several thousand dollars cheaper. However, I have to factor in shipping the car back to CA (if not for COVID I'd just do PCD or fly to the dealer).

Can anyone share thoughts/experiences with shipping a new car from a dealer across the country? The dealer said their contracted shippers charge 0.75. to 1.00 dollars per mile for covered shipping and I'm looking at a 2000+ mile distance which really wipes out the out of state savings. Is that a reasonable amount for covered shipping? And would anyone dare ship a brand new M2C across the country uncovered?

Thanks for all the insights. Looking forward to getting more involved on this subforum a I hopefully join the M2 crew.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:28 PM   #2
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, M550i, X545e

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post

From my brief conversations with dealers so far, ordering a 2021 from out of state will be several thousand dollars cheaper. However, I have to factor in shipping the car back to CA (if not for COVID I'd just do PCD or fly to the dealer).

Can anyone share thoughts/experiences with shipping a new car from a dealer across the country? The dealer said their contracted shippers charge 0.75. to 1.00 dollars per mile for covered shipping and I'm looking at a 2000+ mile distance which really wipes out the out of state savings. Is that a reasonable amount for covered shipping? And would anyone dare ship a brand new M2C across the country uncovered?

Thanks for all the insights. Looking forward to getting more involved on this subforum a I hopefully join the M2 crew.
I'm looking at a 450 mile trip to ship my X 5 and at $1.00 per mile that actually sounds reasonable. Any shipper recommended?
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:46 AM   #3
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
The buyer of my RS4 just had it shipped using Intercity (covered, not a broker) who appeared to be highly recommended. For a TX to ME trip, it was around $2k I believe, which seems reasonable. Uncovered and using a broker would probably run a little over half of that, but I wouldn't ship that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 05:06 AM   #4
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i 2019 X5 2021 M2C

Quote:

My father used https://reliablecarriers.com/ many years ago and had a good experience with his Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
keylime503
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN' View Post
I'm looking at a 450 mile trip to ship my X 5 and at $1.00 per mile that actually sounds reasonable. Any shipper recommended?
http://jstransportservices.com/

These guys confirmed $1.00/mi for enclosed shipping over the phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks everyone- when I told my local dealer I was going out of state they matched the other offer!
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks everyone- when I told my local dealer I was going out of state they matched the other offer!
Wow very lucky my local dealership just straight up said they were not interested without even a counter offer.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #8
keylime503
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyymonster View Post
Wow very lucky my local dealership just straight up said they were not interested without even a counter offer.
My local dealers refuse to budge of MSRP and act all surprised/dismissive when I say I'm getting offers for 5%+ off MSRP out of state on 2021 orders.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 06:38 PM   #9
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep

At $1.00 per mile, provided the transaction is not too difficult then why not save thousands if your local dealers will not budge. Some will not so in these tough times no need to spend more than needed.
FYI this deal was for a new X5 45e as I got my M2 for European Delivery pricing earlier this month. It was a custom order too as I wanted very specific options which would be impossible to find on a lot. There are very few in the US so far.
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #10
keylime503
Major
Rep

Quote:
At $1.00 per mile, provided the transaction is not too difficult then why not save thousands if your local dealers will not budge. Some will not so in these tough times no need to spend more than needed.
FYI this deal was for a new X5 45e as I got my M2 for European Delivery pricing earlier this month. It was a custom order too as I wanted very specific options which would be impossible to find on a lot. There are very few in the US so far.
I never suggested otherwise . I am either going with out of state or SoCal region (it's just easier to buy it somewhere in CA so as to not deal with DMV registration for out of state purchase). NorCal dealers (local for me) are useless.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #11
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDONE View Post
Quote:

My father used https://reliablecarriers.com/ many years ago and had a good experience with his Mercedes.
I think I will use this as well to ship to CA
Appreciate 1
ADDONE230.00
      08-10-2020, 11:34 PM   #12
mercury26
Lord of the Rings
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Audi SQ5,05 BMW 330i ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Devo View Post
The buyer of my RS4 just had it shipped using Intercity (covered, not a broker) who appeared to be highly recommended. For a TX to ME trip, it was around $2k I believe, which seems reasonable. Uncovered and using a broker would probably run a little over half of that, but I wouldn't ship that way.
Matt Devo Good to see you on the board. I am RS4 owner on the North American RS4 meet WhatApp group.
Appreciate 0