BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > UK > 2018 M2 major issue

02-25-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
SunnyP9999
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

2018 M2 major issue

Hi all,

I purchased a M2, taking delivery back in April 2018.
Over the last few weeks I noticed a noise during start
Up, a noise very similar to a fan belt being loose.
I call BMW Luton, and get it booked in.
Today they have called to advise it’s a serious fault,
One that they are having to talk to BMW technical in Germany.
The service advisor advised that when they took the oil filter off,
It had metal shavings in it, also in the other filters and the housing too!
They have now been advised by BMW technical to strip the engine to
Find out what’s going on!
Whilst I was there at BMW picking up a loan car, I get a link from them pointing
Me to a video by the service technician saying he could not hear any noise and the car was fine. I’d like to know why the technician took off the oil filter if he four nothing wrong with the car.
BMW have said they have seen this issue in one other M2, I did try to push what
Was the resolution in that case but was not told.

Not a happy bunny at all as I’m stuck in a Mini Countryman as a loan car
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 03:37 AM   #2
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Hope it gets sorted for in good time for you, summer’s on its way!!

I wouldn’t let them fob me off with a mini, they tried when my 335d had an issue.
I was paying top dollar finance for a top spec, 4 wheel drive motor and they wanted to put us in a mini indefinitely while waiting for a back ordered brake calliper.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:01 AM   #3
SunnyP9999
United Kingdom
Rep

Update from BMW technical is that they expect some
Debris in the oil as it’s an ‘M’ engine.
They have asked me to take it back after another 6k
For them to have a look again.
Not sure if they are fobbing me off but if this is
From BMW technical in Germany hopefully they
Know what they are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

What was the mileage of the previous oil change, and mileage of when you took it in ?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:47 PM   #5
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Ask if they can replace the engine with an S55.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:41 AM   #6
SunnyP9999
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
What was the mileage of the previous oil change, and mileage of when you took it in ?
It’s done 9k, only ever went in for the run in service.
Appreciate 1
Tk19760.00
      03-02-2019, 01:45 AM   #7
SunnyP9999
United Kingdom
Rep

Update:
I’ve had the car a couple of days and the noise has come back. Called BMW Luton and spoke to the Service Manager. She advises that it is “OUT OF THEIR HANDS”!
She has advised that BMW head office will not authorise any work on my car. She understands that I am driving an£50k car with 9k miles on it and should not be making any sort of noise. She advised for me to take it further, first by calling BMW customer service to get them involved.
Keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 02:52 AM   #8
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Sounds like you could do with getting some of what’s happening on record if you haven’t already. At least an email expressing your concern of still driving it on their say so.
If it results in a major repair it will probably be fine but personally, I’d want some backup if they start getting awkward.
Hope it gets sorted out for you. Things go wrong in life, it’s how it gets sorted that is important.

Last edited by 335dJa; 03-02-2019 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:10 AM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyP9999 View Post
Update:
I’ve had the car a couple of days and the noise has come back. Called BMW Luton and spoke to the Service Manager. She advises that it is “OUT OF THEIR HANDS”!
She has advised that BMW head office will not authorise any work on my car. She understands that I am driving an£50k car with 9k miles on it and should not be making any sort of noise. She advised for me to take it further, first by calling BMW customer service to get them involved.
Keep you updated.
WTF? That is very strange.

Who is the supplying dealer? Definitely get right onto BMW UK and get things advised in writing.

There shouldn't be any "debris" in the oil that's for sure, in any engine!. Did they change the oil and filter the other day?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 06:18 AM   #10
SunnyP9999
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
WTF? That is very strange.

Who is the supplying dealer? Definitely get right onto BMW UK and get things advised in writing.

There shouldn't be any "debris" in the oil that's for sure, in any engine!. Did they change the oil and filter the other day?
They did not change anything as BMW HO will not authorise them to do anything to the car. Having spoken to many a mechanic, metal debris in ANY engine is not a good sign.
So BMW Customer Service were supposed to get back to me this morning but has not happened. I'll be giving them a bell this PM to see what they have found out.
It's getting silly and ridiculous, scared of even driving the car in case I am making it worse with nothing in writing that they are happy for me to drive the car with this fault.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #11
DLT222
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyP9999 View Post
They did not change anything as BMW HO will not authorise them to do anything to the car. Having spoken to many a mechanic, metal debris in ANY engine is not a good sign.
So BMW Customer Service were supposed to get back to me this morning but has not happened. I'll be giving them a bell this PM to see what they have found out.
It's getting silly and ridiculous, scared of even driving the car in case I am making it worse with nothing in writing that they are happy for me to drive the car with this fault.
I was talking to a friend of mine who is a master tech at Audi, he simply said any filings in the oil is a complete no no. But we knew that anyway.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #12
SunnyP9999
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLT222 View Post
I was talking to a friend of mine who is a master tech at Audi, he simply said any filings in the oil is a complete no no. But we knew that anyway.

Good luck and keep us posted.
So my car has now gone back in!
I raised concerns with BMW CS who did didly jack!
In the end, I called BMW assistance when I was parked outside my house.
Technician came out, he had all the records on his laptop, read through them, arranged a hire car and told me to drop the car back to the dealer.
So I’m now in a Golf GTi, for a while. I am refusing to drive my car till I am told what the fault is, instead of being fobbed off by BMW.
If I get a call Monday saying they cannot do anything then I’m taking it further through all the channels cause as far as I am concerned, it’s fooked if there is metal in the filters!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #13
RichyT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C, Focus RS

@SunnyP

Keep at them, as you’re right to be concerned especially with the dealers attitude being pretty shit.

My MK3 Focus Rs was on it’s 3rd engine when it went back to Ford last month. 2 year old car, 18000 miles on the clock and on it’s 3rd full engine

It was one of the 1st cars to show issues, and the UK Ford CS did not want to know me neither the dealership.

Car’s get issues and problems regardless of age, that’s why you shouldn’t take no for an answer.

Last edited by RichyT; 03-08-2019 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #14
renny73
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 DCT MG

What are BMW playing at?

Normal for metal filings to be in oil, my arse!

Keep us updated and hope all works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #15
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

What was the noise it was making? You said like a loose fan belt.

Like a "squealing" noise then? Was it still making that noise when they gave it back to you?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #16
John ler
Rep
Drives: Audi s3

That’s your bearings giving up, I had this in a 135i, bmw wouldn’t do anything, I couldn’t put up with it, I replaced the engine with a low mikes one out of a salvage car, took my engine to bits to look at it, the cams had eaten through the machining of the head, and Bmw could see the problem, ever to say they wouldn’t do a thing about it, when I shown them it,
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #17
DLT222
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCi

Is there an update for this? Would be interested in knowing what BM are saying.
Appreciate 1
MikeD943.00
      04-18-2020, 04:15 AM   #18
Dalmango
Enlisted Member
Rep

This is what makes me laugh with people who are so gullible they spend thousands/ tens of thousands over the vehicles lifetime having it serviced at a main dealer. When it comes down to it the dealer will never honor warranty. £50k car; normal to have metal shavings in the oil .

Sorry to hear your hardships my friend, .

I recently took mine to fix the boot that wouldn't shut. Yes you heard right; a £50k car which wouldn't shut the boot! After "replacing the mechanism" I picked it up, checked it at the dealer, they had replaced nothing! With the boot still not shutting.

Last edited by Dalmango; 04-18-2020 at 04:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 05:57 PM   #19
digitaluk
Registered
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 208GTI and soon an M2

Wow! I'm just in the process of looking to buy a used 2017/2018 M2. Not going to lie. Makes me a bit nervous reading these types of posts. Granted, I know full well these things can happen to any car unfortunately. Best of luck OP. Hope you're able to get it sorted!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #20
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

It all depends on the dealer and how much they want to support their customer and support their customer in getting BMW GB to authorize the repair. I would try a different dealership. If you have the ability try and record what the noise is and take it to another dealership. Try BMW North Oxford and ask for Chris the technician to take a look at your car!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #21
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaluk View Post
Wow! I'm just in the process of looking to buy a used 2017/2018 M2. Not going to lie. Makes me a bit nervous reading these types of posts. Granted, I know full well these things can happen to any car unfortunately. Best of luck OP. Hope you're able to get it sorted!
I don't think anyone else has really had a problem like this so I wouldn't be too worried.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 11:38 AM   #22
Penetrator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

My M2Comp has done 11k miles in 15 months ish.........

Spun Crankhub
Exhaust camshaft changed
Both rear light clusters changed
Race LED steering wheel replaced
Airbag replaced
Lambda probe cylinders 1-3 fail
And Valvetronic unit is now tits...

I’ve owned every iteration of the current F8x platform and this M2Comp has been dogged with issues, it’s spent 5 months in total of this year in the dealership and it’s back in there now!
Appreciate 0