BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C - Share your Journey

07-15-2021, 09:02 AM   #2685
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Not to beat a dead horse but relative to the X3M base S58 vs the S55 M2C or any other BMW I've owned in some time, "the X3M is very weak on low end torque" is an absolute statement.
It's not the X3M per se having the low-end torque issue: it's the S58. The new M3/M4 have the same low-end torque issue.... and so will the new G87 M2 with its detuned S58. (Joe Achilles has a video on the '20 X3MC where he complains about the low-end torque; and he has a new video on his M3C where he also complains about the same low-end torque.)

The issue is something you can work around - driving in D2 is the easiest fix. Downshifting once or twice when you need to make a quick move - rather than stabbing the throttle - is also a good fix.

I've found the problem is really only annoying when you're in 2nd gear, and the S58 just does not want to shift into first gear (in fact it won't shift in D1 unless you go WOT). In 2nd gear, the relation between throttle and acceleration is not what you would expect and all of us who've driven the S58 have at least one story where we expected acceleration, didn't get it, and thought we were going to be rear-ended.

In higher gears, the car downshifts and it's not an issue.

If you are manually shifting you have to squeeze your left hand 3 or 4 times, which means your aggressive overtakes need to be thought out in advance ... which is probably safer anyway.

The big question for me is did BMW design the S58 intentionally this way? Or was this a negative effect they couldn't overcome?
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2021, 06:36 PM   #2686
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

I realize that, for some, the M2 journey will end with the F87C. That is cool.

For many others, the journey will continue to unfold with another ///M car offering.

FOR ME, the G80C represents the ultimate driving machine to date.

For others, the G87 is highly anticipated and will replace their F87C. I have no doubt the G87 will put a lot of smiles on a lot of F87C owners faces.

As I write, my prior intentions to move from the G80C into the G87 have changed. Although I firmly believe the G87 will be a fantastic encore to the F87C . . . I do not think it will surpass the G80C performance to which I have become so attached.

So, FOR ME, the next step will most likely be the G80 CS.

In the meantime, I look forward to ///M car enthusiasts anticipating the G87 release . . . and, ultimately, taking delivery and sharing their G87 experience.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      09-07-2021, 10:21 AM   #2687
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

@///AVM never say never. We all know the lust of a new car release. Hell, I am now even more intrigued by the G80 when I swore off it in the beginning. I said I would keep the M2C till I die! We all know what is about to happen and how hollow my words were…
      09-07-2021, 01:30 PM   #2688
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
@///AVM never say never. We all know the lust of a new car release. Hell, I am now even more intrigued by the G80 when I swore off it in the beginning. I said I would keep the M2C till I die! We all know what is about to happen and how hollow my words were…
JZ

We humans are certainly novelty seekers and easy prey for these car manufacturers.

G80C is amazing but my plan is to hold out for G80CS.

If I said I believe the G87 will be a step backwards, other forum members would think I'm saying the G87 won't be anything other than fantastic. . . so I'm not going to say that.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:25 PM   #2689
jdubm2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
JZ

We humans are certainly novelty seekers and easy prey for these car manufacturers.

G80C is amazing but my plan is to hold out for G80CS.

If I said I believe the G87 will be a step backwards, other forum members would think I'm saying the G87 won't be anything other than fantastic. . . so I'm not going to say that.

///AVM
BMW has sure knocked it out of the park on their last two CS versions (M2 and M5) according to reviewers and owners. I think you are onto something by going to the M3CS in the G80 platform. Hopefully they sprinkle the same pixie dust that they have on those two models, and you get something extraordinary.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      09-30-2021, 07:29 PM   #2690
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quick post while fueling up . . .

Saw another G80 for the first time out in the wild today.

I have to say, seeing the car out on the roadway provides a perspective that simply cannot be captured online in photos or video.

Even though I am not a fan of the G80 design architecture, I must admit the package comes together quite nicely while in motion out on the roadway . . .

G80 has an amazing ROAD PRESENCE.

FWIW the above sentiments are very similar to how I felt about the F87C . . . and suspect will be a similar experience once the G87 is released.

These ///M cars just need to be seen in person and in motion for the design architecture to be fully and properly appreciated.

///AVM
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ADDONE230.00
.Slug446.00
      09-30-2021, 09:30 PM   #2691
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I'm happy for your enthusiasm over your G80. I have no doubt that it is a beautiful and capable car. It is however a larger and heavier car than the M2/M2C. Are you trying to convert us all to your decision? There is a reason that many of us are a fan of the tail happy fun M2 platform. That is nothing against your choice but many of us are not interested in being converted.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 09:40 AM   #2692
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I'm happy for your enthusiasm over your G80. I have no doubt that it is a beautiful and capable car. It is however a larger and heavier car than the M2/M2C. Are you trying to convert us all to your decision? There is a reason that many of us are a fan of the tail happy fun M2 platform. That is nothing against your choice but many of us are not interested in being converted.
Not at all interested in 'converting' anyone to anything. . . the G87 will share a great deal with the G80/82, so my sharing is nothing more than a prelude to what M2 enthusiasts can anticipate.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 10:38 AM   #2693
.Slug
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quick post while fueling up . . .

Saw another G80 for the first time out in the wild today.

I have to say, seeing the car out on the roadway provides a perspective that simply cannot be captured online in photos or video.

Even though I am not a fan of the G80 design architecture, I must admit the package comes together quite nicely while in motion out on the roadway . . .

G80 has an amazing ROAD PRESENCE.

FWIW the above sentiments are very similar to how I felt about the F87C . . . and suspect will be a similar experience once the G87 is released.

These ///M cars just need to be seen in person and in motion for the design architecture to be fully and properly appreciated.

///AVM
When I see that rear bumper, all I can think of is an "outtie" belly button. The only reason for the bumper protruding so far in the design is possbly air flow in the rear... but I would have more liked they somehow make the rear bumper flow better with the trunk space above.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 10:38 AM   #2694
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Picked her up at at the Welt on ED 2 years ago to the day.
Appreciate 3
.Slug446.00
Fugly M34901.00
///AVM2528.00