BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Driving modes (Comfort, Sport, Sport+, MDM & DSC OFF)

05-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #23
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Thanks to Tag for this and DoggieHowser for the further clarification.

I have a couple of questions. What is Engine Speed Adaptation mode and ....

I have Sport configured as Drivetrain and Chassis. While in Sport if I press DSC once quickly what happens? Do I simply add MDM in addition to the current Sport mode settings I'm in OR does the short press of DSC kick me out of Sport mode or somehow alter it's setting?

In addition to the above --->Sport---->short press for MDM I also like to use MPE track mode. Is it safe to assume the MPE is a standalone item that layers of all other settings?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #24
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

• Steering mode: Controls steering force required to turn the wheels.
  • Longitudinal moment management mode: DSC/DTC-MDM/OFF.
  • Engine speed adaptation mode: MT rev matching.
  • Load-reversal damping mode: Controls harshness of gear shifts.
  • Accelerator pedal characteristic mode: Controls throttle response.
  • Active Sound Design ASD / exhaust-flap controller mode: Controls which mode ASD is in and the exhaust-flap.
  • Automatic engine start-stop function mode: Self explanatory.

M DCT
  • Driving mode (S-sequential mode/ D-automated mode): Manual or automated shifting.
  • Drivelogic mode: Controls D-automated shift points and shift dynamics (In sequential mode, the driver determines the shiftpoint. Only the dynamic characteristics of gear shifts are influenced).
  1. ▷ Efficient drive
  2. ▷ Relaxed drive
  3. ▷ Sporty drive
For further information on Drivelogic reference the M2_Technical_Training.pdf and F80-F82-Complete-Vehicle-Tech-Info.pdf
Appreciate 4
D CHOI580.00
m34m697.00
Bosozoku693.50
      05-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #25
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Don't forget, "traction" mode is also comfort with very enhanced exhaust sound. Must be a part of this thread!
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      05-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #26
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
Great. That sounds sensible and I don't want to crumple my shiny new M2 either. So, in Sport+ it WILL allow me to hang the tail out a little without getting too bent out of shape?

Thanks again.
That's the idea. It puts the traction control into "M dynamic mode" (MDM), which basically just loosens the reins on the nannies (allowing some wheelspin and drift angle) without completely shutting them off.

Pressing and holding the ESC button for 5-10 seconds turns it off entirely, and then you're on your own (regardless of what mode you have the other systems in).
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #27
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

short pressing or long pressing DSC kicks you out of whatever mode you are in and puts you in a new mode. Doesn't matter what mode you were in before. In the case of short press DSC you get MDM with comfort throttle and steering I believe.

Long press gets your sport throttle and steering, and traction and stability control off.

Think of it like 5 modes.

comfort
sport
sport+
short DSC press
Long DSC press

if you have DCT then sequetial/manual gear selection + short press DSC gets you extra exhaust noise for a sort of 6th mode that only differs in the noise.
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      05-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #28
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
short pressing or long pressing DSC kicks you out of whatever mode you are in and puts you in a new mode. Doesn't matter what mode you were in before. In the case of short press DSC you get MDM with comfort throttle and steering I believe.

Long press gets your sport throttle and steering, and traction and stability control off.

comfort
sport
sport+
short DSC press
Long DSC press

if you have DCT then sequetial/manual gear selection + short press DSC gets you extra exhaust noise for a sort of 6th mode that only differs in the noise.
Thanks! That's the best explanation I've heard. Is it then safe to say that the MPE track mode can be applied to any of the modes independently and won't affect those modes but will enhance sound regardless of mode?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 02:42 AM   #29
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Quote:

comfort
sport
sport+
short DSC press
Long DSC press

Good explanation, but the hidden traction mode is also available for 6MT. I love the burbles in traction mode. It's insane with the MPE on the 6MT
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      06-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #30
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:

comfort
sport
sport+
short DSC press
Long DSC press

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Good explanation, but the hidden traction mode is also available for 6MT. I love the burbles in traction mode. It's insane with the MPE on the 6MT
I think you're referring to MDM.
akkando is correct, 5 modes:

comfort
sport
sport+
short DSC press (MDM)
Long DSC press (Traction control off)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #31
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Thank you for the details here.
      07-06-2017, 07:21 AM   #32
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
thank you but I have no idea how to read it...

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 10:25 PM   #33
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

When starting the car and driving off, does it always start off in Comfort mode? I never see any dashboard indicator of what driving mode Im in as a default starting position.
      10-02-2017, 10:42 PM   #34
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
When starting the car and driving off, does it always start off in Comfort mode? I never see any dashboard indicator of what driving mode Im in as a default starting position.
Correct, car always starts in Comfort mode no matter what mode you were in last when you turned the car off which i hate you can't set.

When in Comfort mode, you won't see dashboard indicator since it's the default(boring) mode. Only when in Sport or Sport+ you will see an indicator.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #35
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
Correct, car always starts in Comfort mode no matter what mode you were in last when you turned the car off which i hate you can't set.

When in Comfort mode, you won't see dashboard indicator since it's the default(boring) mode. Only when in Sport or Sport+ you will see an indicator.
You know, while I love sport+ mode for its immediacy and rawness, to be totally honest, driving around town and when Im not showing off to myself how great the car is, I dont mind Comfort mode. At least in Comfort mode, the ASD is quieter and easier to hear your tunes if so inclined, and cruising along on the hwy, I kind of like Comfort mode. And you still feel the power; you just have to put more foot into it.

I keep thinking maybe I should code ASD off, but for every person that says its a must-do, there seems to be another that misses it and is sorry they cant get it back without some possible gymnastics which works for some but not others. So Im not rushing into it. Comfort mode is my way of tuning it to a reasonable level!
M2Nebula547.50
      10-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #36
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I understand the driving modes, but what mode out of Sport+ and MDM allows more wheel spin?

I was just messing around in an empty parking lot and was trying to do a dry donut, but couldn't quite manage a full circle on either. Or should I have just went with DSC off?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #37
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshot_rooke View Post
I understand the driving modes, but what mode out of Sport+ and MDM allows more wheel spin?

I was just messing around in an empty parking lot and was trying to do a dry donut, but couldn't quite manage a full circle on either. Or should I have just went with DSC off?
If you are eager to get into your next set of tires and want to do full donut, yes I would say you need DSC fully off. Haven't done it myself as I am too cheap to burn through $100 of rubber so fast.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #38
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
You know, while I love sport+ mode for its immediacy and rawness, to be totally honest, driving around town and when Im not showing off to myself how great the car is, I dont mind Comfort mode. At least in Comfort mode, the ASD is quieter and easier to hear your tunes if so inclined, and cruising along on the hwy, I kind of like Comfort mode. And you still feel the power; you just have to put more foot into it.

I keep thinking maybe I should code ASD off, but for every person that says its a must-do, there seems to be another that misses it and is sorry they cant get it back without some possible gymnastics which works for some but not others. So Im not rushing into it. Comfort mode is my way of tuning it to a reasonable level!
I like comfort mode as well. Almost prefer the throttle response/range as it seems to utilize the powerband/torque curve better. More linear, not so abrupt. It's nice to have the option.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #39
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
IMO, comfort mode sucks and the M2 should of just came in one mode, Sport+

I have MT and hate the sluggish throttle response when shifting gears driving around town in comfort. The only time comfort mode is good is when you are cruising on the highway and not shifting gears, only time i ever use it.
Appreciate 2
      10-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #40
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
IMO, comfort mode sucks and the M2 should of just came in one mode, Sport+

I have MT and hate the sluggish throttle response when shifting gears driving around town in comfort. The only time comfort mode is good is when you are cruising on the highway and not shifting gears, only time i ever use it.
Car warms up faster in Comfort. So I use it until the oil is at temp.

Last edited by akkando; 10-07-2017 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
Saanen180.50
Bosozoku693.50
      10-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #41
look585
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Thanks OP. Very useful, at least for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 02:51 AM   #42
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Car warms up faster in Comfort. So I use it until the oil is at temp.
Really? Car warms up faster in comfort?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #43
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
Really? Car warms up faster in comfort?
Yes the cooling system works harder in Sport or Sport+
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #44
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes the cooling system works harder in Sport or Sport+
But does this apply to cold starts all of which are done in Open Loop mode and using hard coded values rather than utilizing closed loop adaptive values until the engine warms up?