BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW M2 LCI (facelift) spotted near Leipzig [Updated]

11-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #397
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bim2er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japper69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Gotta assume S55. But in base model or special edition? If they upping their game that much, m3/4 getting similar bump.
Of course also if base, 2016/17 values will tank!
Another rumour from dealer source today is that the base model retains N55 but a CS / CSL test mule is currently running N55 but with water injection system from M4 GTS.
While certainly possible, maintaining the water is a concern so water injection is something I would expect to see in a GTS or CSL and not a Competition Package/ClubSport model.
Yeah.. water is tough to come by ..

Also the meth system shuts off when the water is low.

Perhaps more research is needed by you on this feature.
Research?

That would be distilled water, somewhat less common.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #398
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

I don't want to have to put water into my car. I have no idea why BMW would even do it in the GTS. They could've and should've increased output in a more traditional way and I am sure people would not have complained. They could've been innovative in some other way (Weight savings maybe).

Making things complicated to make a car look cool is just nonsensical. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 1
ryem31041.00
      11-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #399
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

Water injection is very cool (no pun) and the ECU just reverts to a less aggressive tune when the tank is empty. PS you can get a gallon of distilled water for like 2 bucks at Kroger.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17423.00
      11-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #400
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
I don't want to have to put water into my car. I have no idea why BMW would even do it in the GTS. They could've and should've increased output in a more traditional way and I am sure people would not have complained. They could've been innovative in some other way (Weight savings maybe).
Making things complicated to make a car look cool is just nonsensical. Just my opinion.
See here: http://www.m-power.com/_open/s/varli...d=3301&lang=en

Amazing technology. But I feel your pain. Alike Apple introducing AirPods for its iPhone: regardless of all benefits and hazards (+ LOL), the hassle of yet another device needing a regular energy recharge that used to properly function without recharge in previous versions, ain't particularly attractive for most people. Even if tomorrow a 'phenomenal' iKnife and iFork would be introduced allowing me to check my e-mails whilst having lunch or dinner, I very likely will still prefer my regular 'always 100% recharged' knife and fork and check my e-mails on a more appropriate/proper device centralizing most data.
      11-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #401
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japper69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Gotta assume S55. But in base model or special edition? If they upping their game that much, m3/4 getting similar bump.
Of course also if base, 2016/17 values will tank!
Another rumour from dealer source today is that the base model retains N55 but a CS / CSL test mule is currently running N55 but with water injection system from M4 GTS.
While certainly possible, maintaining the water is a concern so water injection is something I would expect to see in a GTS or CSL and not a Competition Package/ClubSport model.
Yeah.. water is tough to come by ..

Also the meth system shuts off when the water is low.

Perhaps more research is needed by you on this feature.
Research?

That would be distilled water, somewhat less common.
http://www.m-power.com/_open/s/varli...d=3301&lang=en
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #402
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

I mean what's this world coming to ? Having to add your own windshield wiper fluid is SUCH a bother !

.. stopping at an auto parts store to add a quart of oil when the car runs low on motor oil is sooooooo complicated..

And On top of that ..

The meth injection system is SO Much work. I mean geez, not only might one have to go to an auto parts store to add that pesky engine oil ... one might also have to tackle the *Herculean* task of going to a grocery store once every few months in order to put some distilled water in their cart along with their veggies.. .
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #403
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
This is why I mentioned semantics.

OK it's been finessed but has a tune.

It's still an N55 motor though.
What BMW did to the N55 in the ///M2 is very impressive, and makes it a much more capable motor. And if the closed deck block rumor is true, then it's even more capable for turbo applications.

As a point of reference, I built the S50 motor in my late e36 M3 with upgraded pistons, rings, and forged connecting rods (it already had a forged crank) for a custom turbo setup. In stock form on 93, this engine with good tuning could handle less than 450 whp with some reliability (head gasket was weak point). With the built motor, tuning, larger turbo, and more boost, the motor could make upwards of 600whp easily and reliably on 93. Add water injection and race fuel, and 800whp is attainable.

My point is that that with the internal engine modifications that BMW made to our N55, there is an excellent base for making pretty big power with minimal modifications.

For example, a larger but efficient turbo (new charge & down piping required), external wastegate, BOV, boost controller, larger intercooler, better turbo manifold, and tune would most likely get the ///M2 in the 450-500whp area. Of course, this could be expensive. But as time passes, and more options become available, prices will come down. Just keep in mind, the hardware can only work as well as the tuner makes it work.

And one last thing...
It sounds much better than the S55 (ball bearings raping cement).
Your e36 sounds like it was a very fun build!
The M2 already makes over 520whp on a stock frame turbo upgrade. Tons of potential indeed.

I think The reason why people don't see the difference between the n55 and the m2's n55 is because they only care about numbers. If they cared about track use they would see that, how about the entire oil system? That's enough of a selling point for me. We won't find those differences until we really start pushing it. So far the regular n55 has reached 650whp and this is thought to be the "safe" limit when you factor in the limits already found in the n20 and scale up.

It will be interesting to see what this engine can handle. The block will be fine. The cooling(besides intercooler) and oil supply too.

For all the hate the n55 gets. I know I would feel safer running 800-900hp through the m2's n55 vs any uncracked n54. Based on the specs this engine should blast the n54 away, we just need a little more time and enough mistakes to find the limits.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 11:38 PM   #404
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
I mean what's this world coming to ? Having to add your own windshield wiper fluid is SUCH a bother !

.. stopping at an auto parts store to add a quart of oil when the car runs low on motor oil is sooooooo complicated..

And On top of that ..

The meth injection system is SO Much work. I mean geez, not only might one have to go to an auto parts store to add that pesky engine oil ... one might also have to tackle the *Herculean* task of going to a grocery store once every few months in order to put some distilled water in their cart along with their veggies.. .
Alright alright. Point taken.

I'm not lazy and still hand wash my car myself. All I'm saying is that we should not complicate things unnecessarily. I believe in Murphy's law and Occam's razor. A simple solution where fewer parts/processes can break is usually better than a complex one where there is more probability of something to break.

As Artemis said, it's one more thing that you need to check and plan and take into consideration. I also strongly believe that some things would just be better if things were simpler. For Example, I am not a huge fan of the driving modes in cars (Even a toyota corolla has 2). It should just be simple and in sport mode the whole time. Same with the rear view camera. People don't even turn and look back while reversing anymore and that's plain dangerous.

This picture is kind of related and makes sense.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
F87LUV3688.00
      11-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #405
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola3 View Post
If they put the S55 in the M2 wouldn't there need to be a hood bulge or power dome like there is on the M3/4?
Yes
      11-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #406
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola3 View Post
If they put the S55 in the M2 wouldn't there need to be a hood bulge or power dome like there is on the M3/4?
The early test mules a few years ago did not have a power dome, nor did the mules that were testing just before winter set in.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #407
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

12-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #408
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post

What we see here is like a Victoria secret model. The M2 is more of the Kim Kardashian variety.

That's just the 2 series LCI, not the M2 LCI.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #409
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Thanks, Captain Obvious.
      12-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #410
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
What we see here is like a Victoria secret model. The M2 is more of the Kim Kardashian variety.

Wow, the LCI is almost unrecognizable. So many changes. I wish I waited for it.
Appreciate 3
ried791.50
Destroya371.00
bollinm25.00
      12-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #411
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
So much info going on. I watched a guy test the car and he ran out of water pretty quickly on the track. No matter the water, I know someone that lapped a gts and burned through the cup tires in just a few laps. Probably before he ran out of water!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #412
Glounk
First Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: M2 6mt MG

Quote:

Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 12:06 AM   #413
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Thanks, Captain Obvious.
No problem at all. Anytime.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #414
dpfaber
2001 S54 M Coupe (4 sale)
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe S54

B58 timing chain is at the rear of the engine, forcing more weight over the front wheels and requiring engine removal for timing chain service -- acceptable for a non-M car only.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #415
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfaber View Post
ARC-wire cylinder walls are not suitable for high performance M cars. Also, the B58 timing chain is at the rear of the engine, forcing more weight over the front wheels and requiring engine removal for timing chain service -- acceptable for a non-M car only.
The S55 uses twin-arc spraying.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 10:32 AM   #416
dpfaber
2001 S54 M Coupe (4 sale)
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfaber View Post
ARC-wire cylinder walls are not suitable for high performance M cars. Also, the B58 timing chain is at the rear of the engine, forcing more weight over the front wheels and requiring engine removal for timing chain service -- acceptable for a non-M car only.
The S55 uses twin-arc spraying.
Then I am corrected.
Appreciate 0