BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > SIRI Responce very slow in M2

08-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
TGDavey
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 - AW --> SUNROOF

SIRI Responce very slow in M2

Has anyone tried to use Siri in their M2 as yet.
Mine is sooo slow in Responce time up to 3 minutes which places it in the unusable list.
I have an IPhone 6 Plus where Siri works very well not connected to the car.
I have also connected my IPad to the car and it is the same. Very slow Responce time after issuing a command.
Pissed off
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Is Siri connecting through your car's built-in WiFi hotspot? If so, your M2's cellular network data provider might be slow.

If Siri is connecting through your iPhone's cellular connection, how is the coverage in your area? If it's weak, that can slow down her responses.

If the signal is strong in either case, the only other thing that could be impacting Siri's performance is the handsfree (HFP or A2DP) Bluetooth audio connection between your car's microphone and your iPhone. Siri may have trouble hearing your speech or converting it to text when performing her queries. You might have a loud exhaust, or a strong accent, or just road noise from the tires that are causing performance problems. In that case, check to see if this issue persistent with the engine off (but the ignition on and your phone connected). If the problem goes away, you'll know it's because your car is too loud or Siri is otherwise having trouble understanding you.

If the issue persists, even in quiet environment and with a strong network connection, I don't know what to tell you.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

What iOS version?

The iOS10 beta improved on Siri Eyes Free significantly (from 30 sec to < 5 sec response for me), give that a spin and see if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #4
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 ans m2

Do you guys already have CarPlay already? Or are you talking about just pressing the home button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
What iOS version?

The iOS10 beta improved on Siri Eyes Free significantly (from 30 sec to < 5 sec response for me), give that a spin and see if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #5
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucErDoc
Do you guys already have CarPlay already? Or are you talking about just pressing the home button?

Quote:
What iOS version?

Siri eyes free, where you hold the talk button down until the Siri prompt.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
TGDavey
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Is Siri connecting through your car's built-in WiFi hotspot? If so, your M2's cellular network data provider might be slow.

If Siri is connecting through your iPhone's cellular connection, how is the coverage in your area? If it's weak, that can slow down her responses.

If the signal is strong in either case, the only other thing that could be impacting Siri's performance is the handsfree (HFP or A2DP) Bluetooth audio connection between your car's microphone and your iPhone. Siri may have trouble hearing your speech or converting it to text when performing her queries. You might have a loud exhaust, or a strong accent, or just road noise from the tires that are causing performance problems. In that case, check to see if this issue persistent with the engine off (but the ignition on and your phone connected). If the problem goes away, you'll know it's because your car is too loud or Siri is otherwise having trouble understanding you.

If the issue persists, even in quiet environment and with a strong network connection, I don't know what to tell you.
Thanks you for this information.
I have never turned on hotspot as Im under the impression Siri channels through enhanced BT?
However will try turning hotspot.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

I just use 'Hey Siri' in the car and it works fine. Only time it'll play up is if I've got the radio on loud and my phone can't hear me.
No need to press any buttons or anything. Standard iPhone feature you turn on in settings.

iPhone is connected via Bluetooth, it then mutes the radio and connects me to my call or any other instruction I've given Siri.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #8
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Works fine with Google as well - hands free questions, navigation and texting.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #9
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175
I just use 'Hey Siri' in the car and it works fine. Only time it'll play up is if I've got the radio on loud and my phone can't hear me.
No need to press any buttons or anything. Standard iPhone feature you turn on in settings.

iPhone is connected via Bluetooth, it then mutes the radio and connects me to my call or any other instruction I've given Siri.
That's assuming the iPhone is connected to a power source, correct?

That's the only way it works on my 6 plus (not "S")...

-c
2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #10
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175

That's assuming the iPhone is connected to a power source, correct?

That's the only way it works on my 6 plus (not "S")...

-c
Correct. Only the 6S and 6S+ can do it without being plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Don't laugh at me but I still have a 4S and siri works fine for basic commands in all my cars without being plugged in, just the Bluetooth connection. If I ask siri for directions it won't because it is to slow and I refuse to pay for wifi in my other cars.
      08-18-2016, 04:53 AM   #12
TGDavey
Private
Australia
Rep

Still no go with Siri in the car. It is so slow. Did not have this sort of trouble with my other 2 BMWs.
I connect my iPhone 6plus with BT only, then with USB cable and the bastard is still playing up. The iPhone has a good wireless signal. Infact I networked it to my Netgear NightHawke router but to no avail.

Decided to isolate the problem by blue toothing my iPad to my iPhone and siri works lightning fast. So it is a software problem in the car Im thinking.
This is an Australian spec M2. I looked for Idrive updates but none available.

I reset my iPhone and deleted my personal data in Idrive.

Really cheesed off
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 07:45 PM   #13
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
So you can use Siri hands free without Apple Car Play?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #14
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields
So you can use Siri hands free without Apple Car Play?
Yep it's been available for a couple of years.

Set it up today on my M2 (finally picked it up) and works great, takes maybe 2-3 seconds to respond.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 07:18 AM   #15
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Quote:
Yep it's been available for a couple of years.

Set it up today on my M2 (finally picked it up) and works great, takes maybe 2-3 seconds to respond.
Hmm...I need to look into this. I'm assuming I can set it up in the wife's X6 and my 328i?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #16
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
Hmm...I need to look into this. I'm assuming I can set it up in the wife's X6 and my 328i?
There is literally nothing to set up. If your car is connected via Bluetooth, you can do one of two things:

- Quick press 'Talk' button: activates BMW voice control

- Hold 'Talk' button: after about two seconds you'll hear the familiar Siri prompt noise and then use it like normal (ie. play album X, etc.)

Alternatively, you can also use 'Hey Siri' if you have a 6S or 6S+, which doesn't required the button to be held down. The cabin is a bit too noisy for this though.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 05:45 AM   #17
Glounk
First Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: M2 6mt MG

You should maybe bypass the ASD !!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #18
TGDavey
Private
Australia
Rep

Hey guys,
Thanks for all your posts. I finally cracked it but your not going to swallow this.

If you start IDrive and not the engine, Siri works very slow as previousl mentioned.

I was so long in the car that a display alerted me that the battery was going flat and that IDrive is going to shut down.

So I started the engine to channel charge back into the battery. I then continued to use Siri and much to my surprise it responded to me instantly. Could not believe it. So I tried a number of times again just to satisfy it was ok and again working very quickly.
So hey don't get caught like I did and waste mountains of time sorting it out.

I guess that is what these forums are all about.
arty00 30:
Appreciate 0