BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > BMW Performance Center delivery/road trip tips?

08-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #23
atronlol
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
2021 M2C  [0.00]
Awesome! Appreciate the info from both of you!! Excited for the skid pad lol
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #24
bimmer98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
1987 325is  [0.00]
I’ve done the Performance Delivery and the M School. The PS is scaled back and not as thrilling as you might want. If you really want some track time, I’d suggest booking the M School too. I didn’t drive my own car either time, so it could be a great chance to drive other M cars. I chose the M6 and M2 at the time. I also chose to do the off-road SUV course and it was pretty interesting, but not thrilling. So the delivery at the time included a wet course, braking pad, and very short road course track. Very few hot laps, if any. Generally speaking, having been to several track events previously, the Performance Delivery wasn’t super exciting or me. If you’ve never been to a track, then it’s a nice introduction and you will definitely enjoy it. I only had to drive 2 hours to get there, so it was an easy choice.

I’d say your drive across country will be more exciting and the reason for the trip to SC. If it was just for the track time at BMW knowing you can’t get a factory tour, I’d skip the Performance Delivery and do a drivers school locally in CA. You’ll get way more out of it and tons more seat time.

Last edited by bimmer98; 08-10-2020 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 09:01 PM   #25
bimmer98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
1987 325is  [0.00]
Instructors

When I was there, you and guest where in the same car and the instructor guides you on a walk-in talkie. It’s not high speed crazy driving, it’s controlled and safe. The exercises help you with braking, turning, and sliding. Ask for a ride with an instructor at the end. They will show you that cars can in fact drive sideways, with free smiles for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atronlol View Post
10/30 is my date..
JCZ5 Any chance you could elaborate on “everyone gets their own car?”
You just follow someone instead of having an instructor in the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 12:33 AM   #26
bobped
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2020 m2c

Garage List
I can certainly vouch for Trakk Tape. Just got back from a 500 mile trip from my dealer in Santa Maria, CA, down to home in San Diego. It was 113 when we left Buellton on Friday and stayed above 100 most of the next 3 days as we went through back roads in the high desert and up to Wrightwood at 6500? Feet. Seemed like just the right amount of stress for the engine, too.

We drove ~70 miles on I-15 and enjoyed lighter than normal traffic even there.

Dropped off the car for Xpel wrapping tonight and although a bit puckered and frayed at a few edges, no signs of any chips. The proof will come in Friday when it's spa treatment is done
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 05:25 AM   #27
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

I went to the Performance Center yesterday for the New Owner's Track program that came with my x3 M40. That was my fourth trip there (PCD on 1M and 2 BMW CCA M Track days) and it was very different than other times due to COVID. Normally it was a full building with full classrooms and many cars on track, that is no longer the case.

As for the center right now, masks are NOT required in the building, some people wear them and they have them to hand out if wanted. There are plexiglass barriers at any area where you would interact with an employee (desks at entrances, cafe register, store, etc). The event I did was literally on me in the group so in the classrooms I am not sure if you are required masks if you have numerous people in your classroom.

For PCD they used to do 6 cars in the morning and 6 in the afternoon. Now they are down to 2 and 2. That also means each PCD group only has 4 guests. Therefore a lot fewer cars on track and it makes a huge difference in the experience. You are not required to wear masks in cars except if there is another in the car like on the hot lap.

Hope this was helpful for anyone going.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 07:11 AM   #28
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by atronlol View Post
10/30 is my date..
JCZ5 Any chance you could elaborate on “everyone gets their own car?”
You just follow someone instead of having an instructor in the car?
My apologies if this was answered elsewhere in this thread. I did the one day M school about 18 months ago. It was fantastic. At that time we each got our own car. They ran 18 cars total iircc. M2Cs, M5 w/Comp Pk, M4 w/Comp Pk. 6 cars to each discipline running simultaneously, skidpad, time trial course and long course. Radios were supplied with one instructor per discipline per group with exception to the morning skidpad training where an instructor accompanied you. The afternoon you were on your own with a radio. The long course had instructors at each corner all connected via radio.

On the long course if you were faster than others, they would ask you to pit briefly as passing was not allowed of course. Second half of the day they had run offs on the wet skid pad with 2 cars running at the same time ~ chasing each other ~ for five laps. Best runs concluded the final run. I learned a lot and had a blast.

Last edited by devo; 09-01-2020 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0