BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Updated car differentials

08-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #485
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
So I spoke to my salesguy, he said that my car has been released from port to the carrier, and it is dealership bound , without getting fixed. It had been scheduled for a fix at port on 9/1, i guess not anymore. He said fix would be performed at a later date in the dealership. ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Why not hold it there the extra week and get it done? Seems weird to me, as you're likely going to wait much longer for parts to arrive at the dealer.

But then again, you get your car earlier!
Like most things with the M2 thus far, it was probably "Scheduled." Meaning they wouldn't get the parts in, or bolts in, or the one person who does the work would say he wasn't feeling it that day.

But seriously, it was probably an estimate pending availability of parts. If your and other's stories are anything to go by, it might have been another month before they got parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:28 PM   #486
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppucci
Quote:
Originally Posted by i010336 View Post
Copy of disclosure form ...

Seems fairly benign to me. I guess the only liability, if you wish to call it that, is that if you never return the car for a new diff you can't say you were unaware and then blame BMW for giving you a defective diff!

I suspect this would be the same language which will be sent out in the likely future "recall/campaign" to other m diff vehicles already delivered, in the "wild", and not reading forums!
Correct !
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #487
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Inquired with my dealer about my car's status regarding the rear diff issue that triggered Technical Action (TA) #0033990100 of July 19, 2016.

My car is a EURO spec M2 (1H91) - 6MT - April 2016 build:
"According to the information that you made available, this TA would possibly be/become applicable for your car.
Currently, this [TA] has not been filed yet for your car.
We can perform this task on your car as soon as this or another TA becomes available.
We will follow this up for you."
So my car is in the clear for now and I may drive it until further notice by BMW.
I've also enquired again at my dealership, i informed them of the metallic noise 2 days after picking up my car but that was long before the issue was announced so emailed them again stating i think the noise could be linked to this diff recall. They replied saying they will look into it but that was a week ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 02:39 AM   #488
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
I've also enquired again at my dealership, i informed them of the metallic noise 2 days after picking up my car but that was long before the issue was announced so emailed them again stating i think the noise could be linked to this diff recall. They replied saying they will look into it but that was a week ago.
I had also reported about the recurrent weird metallic noise (can crunch noise) to my dealer before any info got released by BMW about the rear diff recall. They checked and my info was indeed logged.
      08-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #489
chambolle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 coupe; 2017 M2

My M2 was slated for production week of August 21. Inquired today about status, and was told I will hear back in a day or two. I assume my date has been pushed out a few weeks by now.

Word is that BMW determined the differential issue is not 'safety related' and thus the cars will be produced, shipped and released without an upgraded LSD. I was told there are insufficient parts available to keep up with scheduled production and install the LSD upgrade; but should expect to have the requisite upgrade at my 1200 mile 'check up' visit to dealer service.

This calls to mind an issue with the 5-speed manual on the very first production of the E36 M3 - the difference being BMW had a service bulletin on that problem and an easy fix, but did not advise owners, as they have with this LSD issue. Dozens of blown engines resulted from missed shifts during ordinary highway driving within the first few months after the rollout.

BMW tried to tell folks (including me) they had no liability and blamed 'driver error/overrev incident.' A little birdie slipped me a copy of the BMW TSB on the shift linkage defect and hinted that if I beat the bushes a bit I would find lots of similar 'driver error' blown engine incidents. Then a bunch of us M3 owner-attorneys got our heads together and told BMW to expect a lawsuit tout de suite, to include a prayer for treble damages and attorney fees. Within a day or two, I was given a loaner and a new engine and various drivetrain components were en route from Munich and scheduled for no charge installation.

The car was reasonably trouble free thereafter, other than some other 'known issues' like the plastic impeller water pump. Those in the know replaced that with a Stewart stainless upgrade early on. Alas, I was not in the know and when my pump failed and supernovaed in rather spectacular fashion, after the warranty expired of course, I heard for the first time: 'oh yeah, known issue with those cheap plastic water pumps.' Coulda saved a grand or so in towing and cooling system repairs had someone let me in on the secret sooner.

Seems BMW has at least decided disclosure is better than concealment where these issues are concerned. That's a good thing.
Appreciate 3
Chuck W.354.00
ried791.50
Destroya371.00
      08-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #490
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambolle View Post
Then a bunch of us M3 owner-attorneys got our heads together and told BMW to expect a lawsuit...
No one like attorneys or police officers ... until then need one. Nicely done.

I am a loyal BMW owner. But I am very disappointed in how they handled this issue. Their PR department needs some work.
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 11:01 PM   #491
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
My M2 was slated for production week of August 21. Inquired today about status, and was told I will hear back in a day or two. I assume my date has been pushed out a few weeks by now.

Word is that BMW determined the differential issue is not 'safety related' and thus the cars will be produced, shipped and released without an upgraded LSD. I was told there are insufficient parts available to keep up with scheduled production and install the LSD upgrade; but should expect to have the requisite upgrade at my 1200 mile 'check up' visit to dealer service...
are you saying all the cars just produced outside of the dates previously mentioned and about to arrive at the VPC also have the diff issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 01:07 AM   #492
sarcastrix
Wallander
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I've also enquired again at my dealership, i informed them of the metallic noise 2 days after picking up my car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I had also reported about the recurrent weird metallic noise (can crunch noise)
Picked my new car up on Friday - had only gone a few miles before I heard the first crunch, whilst pulling away from lights in stright line.

Quote:
Word is that BMW determined the differential issue is not 'safety related' and thus the cars will be produced, shipped and released without an upgraded LSD. I was told there are insufficient parts available to keep up with scheduled production and install the LSD upgrade; but should expect to have the requisite upgrade at my 1200 mile 'check up' visit to dealer service.
My delivery had already been delayed a couple of weeks due to the diff issue, so maybe they didn't change it after all...
      08-30-2016, 02:17 AM   #493
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastrix View Post
Picked my new car up on Friday - had only gone a few miles before I heard the first crunch, whilst pulling away from lights in stright line.

My delivery had already been delayed a couple of weeks due to the diff issue, so maybe they didn't change it after all...
Not good news for any of us if they have indeed changed the diff and you are still getting the noise, any chance of you clarifying with the dealer if it has the updated diff?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 03:02 AM   #494
sarcastrix
Wallander
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Not good news for any of us if they have indeed changed the diff and you are still getting the noise, any chance of you clarifying with the dealer if it has the updated diff?
Not sure I want to tell the dealer just yet, don't want the car being grounded after the 12month wait.
      08-30-2016, 07:31 AM   #495
Glounk
First Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: M2 6mt MG

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 07:34 AM   #496
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou
Quote:

Word is that BMW determined the differential issue is not 'safety related' and thus the cars will be produced, shipped and released without an upgraded LSD. I was told there are insufficient parts available to keep up with scheduled production and install the LSD upgrade; but should expect to have the requisite upgrade at my 1200 mile 'check up' visit to dealer service...
are you saying all the cars just produced outside of the dates previously mentioned and about to arrive at the VPC also have the diff issue?
Yes and more than just that, ALL M2 production from the start will likely get new diffs.

They're still actively installing bum diffs in cars since there are no parts for a fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 08:07 AM   #497
sarcastrix
Wallander
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
They're still actively installing bum diffs in cars since there are no parts for a fix.
That's the certainly the way it looks to me. My car has a production date of early July (it's got v.5) yet wasn't delviered (to Sweden) till last week, therefore it must have sat around somewhere in those missing weeks. First 'crunch' I heard was with less than 50 miles on the clock.
      08-30-2016, 08:38 AM   #498
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Yes and more than just that, ALL M2 production from the start will likely get new diffs.

My car was never on hold. I would have expected them to direct the prioritize corrected parts to production?

The probably only lifted the hold b/c of all the complaints and customer satisfaction requests.

Guess we'll see when I go to pick up the car in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 09:05 AM   #499
NachoM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Alpine White

BMW Iberia keeps saying my car is not affected, and I cant see any campaign for my car in MY BMW webpage.
Cant understand...but this is it.

I have close to 6K Kms on the clock and no noises in my case.
      08-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #500
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Quote:

My car was never on hold. I would have expected them to direct the prioritize corrected parts to production?

The probably only lifted the hold b/c of all the complaints and customer satisfaction requests.

Guess we'll see when I go to pick up the car in a few weeks.
Priority are customers who already paid for the car but haven't taken delivery such as ED customers, followed by customers waiting for cars who haven't paid yet and then cars on the lot.

This campaign is going to take a while, probably into 2017.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #501
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:

Can you provide evidence of this?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #502
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Priority are customers who already paid for the car but haven't taken delivery such as ED customers, followed by customers waiting for cars who haven't paid yet and then cars on the lot.

This campaign is going to take a while, probably into 2017.
priority is to keep the money making machine going which means making more BMWs and keeping the costs down which means not having them come back.

nothing they can do about the ones already out the door except fix them when they get parts
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #503
Swimfanrick
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta
Quote:
Quote:

This is disappointing to me. My car finished production week 30 (July 25) and it has already arrived in South Carolina. I opted for Performance Center Delivery which is scheduled for September 23. My dealership wants me to come in and sign paperwork and pay for the vehicle this week and I've been assured on numerous occasions by dealership and BMW Genius that my car's differential is not affected. Don't know what to do. Hope I don't pay this week to have delivery delayed...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #504
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimfanrick View Post
This is disappointing to me. My car finished production week 30 (July 25) and it has already arrived in South Carolina. I opted for Performance Center Delivery which is scheduled for September 23. My dealership wants me to come in and sign paperwork and pay for the vehicle this week and I've been assured on numerous occasions by dealership and BMW Genius that my car's differential is not affected. Don't know what to do. Hope I don't pay this week to have delivery delayed...
The delivery stop was lifted on August 25th. New cars that are built with the affected differential can now be delivered and driven after the new owner signs a waiver acknowledging premature wear is possible until the differential is replaced with the updated part.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 11:30 PM   #505
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Sooooo.....anyone take he plunge and sign the waiver yet? I can imagine it'd be hard not to given the wait nearly most of us have experienced.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 02:07 AM   #506
sarcastrix
Wallander
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
The delivery stop was lifted on August 25th. New cars that are built with the affected differential can now be delivered and driven after the new owner signs a waiver acknowledging premature wear is possible until the differential is replaced with the updated part.
You missed out some vital wording - IN THE USA

As said above, collected mine on the 26th without any disclaimer (but with a clunking diff).