pim85
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

[QUOTE=OrangeCrush]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post

I already heard many times (30 times or so in 7000 kms) some strange grinding noise coming from the back underneath.

It's a screeching metallic sound of some metal part rubbing against another metallic part for more than an instant. A kind of metallic rambling (or some rambling inside a metallic box) for a few moments (a second or so) rather than just some brief clunk. Happens at random, sometimes twice right after each other. Mostly when the car is not under load (for example cruising at slow speed or after coming out of a turn). It sounds as if some part moves in a controlled way from one side to another (opening or closing of a part) but with an awful rambling noise. Always exactly the same sound. I even got used to it ("Oh, here it goes again"). As far as I experienced, no impact on the driving itself.

Very weird. Never heard that on any ///M car I ever drove. And no, it ain't the opening/closing of the butterfly valve of the M Performance Exhaust (totally different sound) nor the notorious 'cow bell sound' phenomenon caused by pebbles that got inside the brake system. I suspect the diff performing weird stuff.

I told my dealer. He reported it to BMW. He saw in the system a notice about (normal) screechy sounds at slow speed during break-in: bedding in of the brakes during the first 500km. Definitely something else.

My car is an early April 2016 build.
I have been hearing this a lot and just chauked it up to being the cowbell-rock in the dust shield. Now I'm not so sure because I have heard this 10 times more in the couple months of ownership of the M2 than the 5 years with the 1M. My car is an early hea car delivered in april. It sat at the port for a month or two before delivery. Could it go this far back?
Did anyone find out what's causing this sound? I have a MY17 not affected by the diff recall, but I also hear this sound now and then.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:32 PM   #420
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejdavidson View Post
Welp. My car is definitely included in this. Ruh roh.

What I'm curious about is why this specific period of time? Were the differentials different before this? The July 4th date might explain why no cars were produced for a period of time between June 24th and the second week of July.
Could be a million reasons that don't involve design changes to the engineering of the diff.

1. New vendor used for piece parts that go in the diff, and this batch has parts from the new vendor.

2. Original vendor machined some parts with a batch of material that has been found to be faulty for one reason or another.

3. Original vendor changed their process in a bad way without notifiying BMW, and now BMW found out.

I wouldn't worry about it.

True story !!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #421
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

[QUOTE=pim85]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:

I already heard many times (30 times or so in 7000 kms) some strange grinding noise coming from the back underneath.

It's a screeching metallic sound of some metal part rubbing against another metallic part for more than an instant. A kind of metallic rambling (or some rambling inside a metallic box) for a few moments (a second or so) rather than just some brief clunk. Happens at random, sometimes twice right after each other. Mostly when the car is not under load (for example cruising at slow speed or after coming out of a turn). It sounds as if some part moves in a controlled way from one side to another (opening or closing of a part) but with an awful rambling noise. Always exactly the same sound. I even got used to it ("Oh, here it goes again"). As far as I experienced, no impact on the driving itself.

Very weird. Never heard that on any ///M car I ever drove. And no, it ain't the opening/closing of the butterfly valve of the M Performance Exhaust (totally different sound) nor the notorious 'cow bell sound' phenomenon caused by pebbles that got inside the brake system. I suspect the diff performing weird stuff.

I told my dealer. He reported it to BMW. He saw in the system a notice about (normal) screechy sounds at slow speed during break-in: bedding in of the brakes during the first 500km. Definitely something else.

My car is an early April 2016 build.
I have been hearing this a lot and just chauked it up to being the cowbell-rock in the dust shield. Now I'm not so sure because I have heard this 10 times more in the couple months of ownership of the M2 than the 5 years with the 1M. My car is an early hea car delivered in april. It sat at the port for a month or two before delivery. Could it go this far back?
Did anyone find out what's causing this sound? I have a MY17 not affected by the diff recall, but I also hear this sound now and then.
It's more than likely that you can Expect a recall notice ..

If you haven't already .. Report the issue to your dealer ? Keep enjoying it while you have it !
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #422
LGWGN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster

[QUOTE=M3 Adjuster;20457458]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pim85

If you haven't already .. Report the issue to your dealer ? Keep enjoying it while you have it !
There is a stop delivery on cars that have been identified as having the diff issue, so I'd imagine that either his car doesn't have the issue or it hasn't been 'put on the list'.

I'm choosing to be optimistic and assume it is the previous as I am getting my car in the next couple of weeks. Additionally, there was the gap in production in August that seems to correlate with an updated P/N for the diff.
      08-23-2016, 10:02 PM   #423
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

[QUOTE=LGWGN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:

There is a stop delivery on cars that have been identified as having the diff issue, so I'd imagine that either his car doesn't have the issue or it hasn't been 'put on the list'.

I'm choosing to be optimistic and assume it is the previous as I am getting my car in the next couple of weeks. Additionally, there was the gap in production in August that seems to correlate with an updated P/N for the diff.
I'm going under the " if it's making bad sounds,
then it probably needs to be replaced " theory.

It's probably less scientific than a list, but do you really seriously think any list is absolutely comprehensive? Heck no... If they were able to track this issue to one unit it would not be as large a campaign as it is. This clearly Involves batches and batches of parts.. That's just real talk.

BMW has a huge backlog of vehicles stopped right now and it involves much more than a few hundred or perhaps even one thousand M2 units. I would imagine that simply to restore consumer confidence that eventually all vehicles produced around a period of months before and after the identified improper production time would be included in this service campaign.

Because of the magnitude of this issue BMW is clearly handling things in stepwise fashion

First step is to fix any failed vehicles.
Next step is vehicles in the delivery system (at dealer or VPC or at the factory plant.
Then fix vehicles that have been delivered to customers

Etc..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 06:29 AM   #424
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGWGN View Post

Don't worry, every car in the last 10 months or so of production that has this diff will be getting a replacement, they're just taking their time.

For example, original list was 202 cars, it's now over 10,000...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #425
LGWGN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster

Quote:
Don't worry, every car in the last 10 months or so of production that has this diff will be getting a replacement, they're just taking their time.

For example, original list was 202 cars, it's now over 10,000...
Sorry for being dense, but how is BMW delivering '17 cars if there is a stop delivery on them? Is it simply because those cars aren't listed on the current 'recall' yet?
      08-24-2016, 08:55 AM   #426
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for being dense, but how is BMW delivering '17 cars if there is a stop delivery on them? Is it simply because those cars aren't listed on the current 'recall' yet?
The new MY17's that are/were affected are getting fixed in Germany before shipment. Quite a few were held for 2+ weeks prior to getting on a boat.

Cars have to be inspected and confirmed ok before they're released to owner.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #427
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
The new MY17's that are/were affected are getting fixed in Germany before shipment. Quite a few were held for 2+ weeks prior to getting on a boat.

That could explain why they are 30+ M2 on the next ship to North America!
      08-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #428
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
That could explain why they are 30+ M2 on the next ship to North America!
Have a pick-up date yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #429
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Have a pick-up date yet?
ETA to dealer: Aug-30th (still need confirmation). I hope for Sep-1st pick-up.
      08-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #430
pim85
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta
Quote:

Mine wasn't affected by the recall apparently (built 15.07), and sent to Norway after that. However I do hear a sound from the back occasionally. Do any of you with a fixed diff. Hear this? It's apparent for a split second, and the way others have described it as driving over a cola can is spot on. Could this just be a normal sound for this car??
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #431
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pim85 View Post
Mine wasn't affected by the recall apparently (built 15.07), and sent to Norway after that. However I do hear a sound from the back occasionally. Do any of you with a fixed diff. Hear this? It's apparent for a split second, and the way others have described it as driving over a cola can is spot on. Could this just be a normal sound for this car??
Not normal, that's the sound a bad diff makes. I would highly recommend taking it to the dealer and mentioning the noise, the recall and have the documents Artemis posted handy with the info on the cause and what to listen for.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #432
pim85
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pim85 View Post
Not normal, that's the sound a bad diff makes. I would highly recommend taking it to the dealer and mentioning the noise, the recall and have the documents Artemis posted handy with the info on the cause and what to listen for.
Okay, will mention it when delivering it for the break in service
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #433
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My rear diff was replaced prior to delivery on August 19. With only 120 miles on the odometer, I've heard this sound 4-5 times already, and always while turning a corner when you would expect the rear wheels to be turning at slightly different speeds.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #434
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My rear diff was replaced prior to delivery on August 19. With only 120 miles on the odometer, I've heard this sound 4-5 times already, and always while turning a corner when you would expect the rear wheels to be turning at slightly different speeds.
Mine was replaced Aug 19th, I've put on about 400km since and haven't heard this noise at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #435
pim85
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is why I ask. Since you have a "fixed" diff. And by your description the sound happen exactly how they do on mine, and more or less the same frequency. We both "should" have a good diff. So what could this be then??
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #436
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I updated my post about the 'can crunch noise' with additional comments (compilation):
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5#post20402775

It seems that quite some M2 owners already heard that occasional, peculiar grinding/screechy rambling noise coming from the rear underside (alike the sound of a soft drink beverage can being crushed). Troubling fact: an M2 forum fellow with a new diff still hears it.
      08-24-2016, 12:30 PM   #437
daddymak80
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Looks like the diffs are making their way across Canada. Mine is just getting replaced today. Delivery set for Saturday. YEAH!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #438
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymak80 View Post
Looks like the diffs are making their way across Canada. Mine is just getting replaced today. Delivery set for Saturday. YEAH!!!
Damn, that's a long time! The service took my guys only 4 hours, I picked the car up the next day.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 01:38 PM   #439
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Damn, that's a long time! The service took my guys only 4 hours, I picked the car up the next day.
Maybe he is installing the MPE as well... I don't see the exhaust anymore on his car
      08-24-2016, 01:50 PM   #440
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
Maybe he is installing the MPE as well... I don't see the exhaust anymore on his car
Like this M6 ?

Also @ 02:39 and 02:51