07-20-2016, 09:07 PM   #67
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Here is the list for those wondering.

My M2 was built July 16th and its VIN falls after all the M2 VIN's listed below by 18 cars. I think it may be safe to assume that, if your car was built June 16th or later, you're probably not affected.
Has it been confirmed that the list is worldwide or just for US cars?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #68
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Has it been confirmed that the list is worldwide or just for US cars?
Worldwide - the list actually shows which market each car was made for, provided you know which number corresponds to what country.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:38 PM   #69
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Worldwide - the list actually shows which market each car was made for, provided you know which number corresponds to what country.
Thanks,I assumed that's what the numbers mean.

It seems strange that a bunch of people are saying that there dealer is telling them that there cars have a delivery stop but there VIN is not on the list.

This is the thread.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=20280811
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:45 PM   #70
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Thanks,I assumed that's what the numbers mean.

It seems strange that a bunch of people are saying that there dealer is telling them that there cars have a delivery stop but there VIN is not on the list.

This is the thread.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=20280811
Could be related to that previous recall for bolts on the undercarriage. Or it could be another EPA hold.

It's also possible there may be more than 202 and they're just now finding out.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:29 PM   #71
dasblack
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta

My M2 was built July 16th and its VIN falls after all the M2 VIN's listed below by 18 cars. I think it may be safe to assume that, if your car was built June 16th or later, you're probably not affected.
I'm on that list
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 01:47 AM   #72
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:

My vin isn't on this list,it was built after June 16th and it has been confirmed by BMW that the hold up is the differential.

I can only assume that this isn't an exhaustive list and only tells half the story.

Edit:

I'm assuming that this list is for vehicles that have slipped the net from the factory,otherwise BMW are holding onto them to fix at source.

Last edited by Nine Lives; 07-21-2016 at 02:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 01:54 AM   #73
playitfunky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Mine was built week 23 and my vin (uk, manual) isn't on that list, phew!
      07-21-2016, 02:46 AM   #74
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by playitfunky View Post
Yesterday I was at my dealer, they didn't know anything about this, because they didn't have any cars delivered/in stock in that timeframe. So they didn't get info, yeah from me
Mine is productiondate may 10th 2016(delivered 31-5-16)

It concerned cars produced from >may 12th afaik?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 05:45 AM   #75
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL
Quote:
Originally Posted by playitfunky View Post
Yesterday I was at my dealer, they didn't know anything about this, because they didn't have any cars delivered/in stock in that timeframe. So they didn't get info, yeah from me
Mine is productiondate may 10th 2016(delivered 31-5-16)

It concerned cars produced from >may 12th afaik?

Cheers
Robin
Mine was built May 18 and I was before the first V-series vin by over 60 units.

dasblack sorry to hear that, man.

Also, I guess it makes sense that they would only list cars that made it out of the factory. Otherwise, it would not TECHNICALLY be a recall, since it never left? Don't know, but that speculation makes sense. Or, at the very least, they don't need anyone to be on the lookout (or have the dealers do anything) since they have them. Anyone have a vehicle that didn't leave the factory that IS on the list?
      07-21-2016, 07:05 AM   #76
Glounk
First Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: M2 6mt MG

Hope the fix could be done out of the factory like in the AD garage!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #77
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
My vin isn't on this list,it was built after June 16th and it has been confirmed by BMW that the hold up is the differential.

I can only assume that this isn't an exhaustive list and only tells half the story.

Edit:

I'm assuming that this list is for vehicles that have slipped the net from the factory,otherwise BMW are holding onto them to fix at source.
Yep I think you are right.

A new stop-delivery order in Canada was issued last night, different from this one but for the same diff recall reason.

Funny because my car was cleared earlier this week and today I was told I can no longer go pick it up tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #78
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post

Edit:

Yep I think you are right.

A new stop-delivery order in Canada was issued last night, different from this one but for the same diff recall reason.

Funny because my car was cleared earlier this week and today I was told I can no longer go pick it up tomorrow.
Was supposed to arrive at the dealership today, it is not; its held at VPC for the recall. Oh well.
      07-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #79
kylejdavidson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 - LBB, DCT

Emailed my SA to inquire and received this response back:

"I saw that recall posted online as well. I have a client that has a M3 that's in transit who asked about it yesterday. Unfortunately we won't know if it's effected or not until the car arrives. The system we use to check on recalls doesn't display that info until the car has been delivered."

That seems odd to me but suppose it could be accurate? I'm in the US. Any light anyone could shed would be most helpful.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #80
jasonheaddinG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 LBB M2

[QUOTE=gmzanatta;20289010]Here is the list for those wondering.

My M2 was built July 16th and its VIN falls after all the M2 VIN's listed below by 18 cars. I think it may be safe to assume that, if your car was built June 16th or later, you're probably not affected

thanks for the list, just checked and I'm not on there
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 10:29 AM   #81
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=jasonheaddinG;20291303]
Quote:

My M2 was built July 16th and its VIN falls after all the M2 VIN's listed below by 18 cars. I think it may be safe to assume that, if your car was built June 16th or later, you're probably not affected

thanks for the list, just checked and I'm not on there
Well another recall bulleting went out last night, so there will be more cars affected.

Mine was not on the list I posted but is on the new list issued last night.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #82
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

[QUOTE=gmzanatta;20291418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonheaddinG View Post

Well another recall bulleting went out last night, so there will be more cars affected.

Another list? Oh...
      07-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #83
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

[QUOTE=gmzanatta;20291418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonheaddinG View Post
I already heard many times (30 times or so in 7000 kms) some strange grinding noise coming from the back underneath.

It's a screeching metallic sound of some metal part rubbing against another metallic part for more than an instant. A kind of metallic rambling (or some rambling inside a metallic box) for a few moments (a second or so) rather than just some brief clunk. Happens at random, sometimes twice right after each other. Mostly when the car is not under load (for example cruising at slow speed or after coming out of a turn). It sounds as if some part moves in a controlled way from one side to another (opening or closing of a part) but with an awful rambling noise. Always exactly the same sound. I even got used to it ("Oh, here it goes again"). As far as I experienced, no impact on the driving itself.

Very weird. Never heard that on any ///M car I ever drove. And no, it ain't the opening/closing of the butterfly valve of the M Performance Exhaust (totally different sound) nor the notorious 'cow bell sound' phenomenon caused by pebbles that got inside the brake system. I suspect the diff performing weird stuff.

I told my dealer. He reported it to BMW. He saw in the system a notice about (normal) screechy sounds at slow speed during break-in: bedding in of the brakes during the first 500km. Definitely something else.

My car is an early April 2016 build.
      07-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #84
Nick2016M2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Artemis I heard the same thing when pulling out of my driveway once. Definitely did not sound like any sort of normal noise.

Early May build
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #85
LinkF1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' MG F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I already heard many times (30 times or so in 7000 kms) some strange grinding noise coming from the back underneath.

It's a screeching metallic sound of some metal part rubbing against another metallic part for more than an instant. A kind of metallic rambling (or some rambling inside a metallic box) for a few moments (a second or so) rather than just some brief clunk. Happens at random, sometimes twice right after each other. Mostly when the car is not under load (for example cruising at slow speed or after coming out of a turn). It sounds as if some part moves in a controlled way from one side to another (opening or closing of a part) but with an awful rambling noise. Always exactly the same sound. I even got used to it ("Oh, here it goes again"). As far as I experienced, no impact on the driving itself.

Very weird. Never heard that on any ///M car I ever drove. And no, it ain't the opening/closing of the butterfly valve of the M Performance Exhaust (totally different sound) nor the notorious 'cow bell sound' phenomenon caused by pebbles that got inside the brake system. I suspect the diff performing weird stuff.

I told my dealer. He reported it to BMW. He saw in the system a notice about (normal) screechy sounds at slow speed during break-in: bedding in of the brakes during the first 500km. Definitely something else.

I have the same experience, also an early April build. I haven't been able to determine what causes it or force it to repeat so I can't really complain about a sound that almost never happens.

Last edited by LinkF1; 07-21-2016 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #86
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

[QUOTE=Artemis;20291620]
Quote:

I've heard it myself and also heard it on my M4. I am almost certain that what you are hearing are pebbles lodged in the dust cover on the brakes. They screech for a second and then fall out. I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like a cow bell and I'm sure it's this. Also, happens sometimes driving in a straight line where the diff would not be relevant like it would in turning.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #87
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=gthal;20292015]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

I've heard it myself and also heard it on my M4. I am almost certain that what you are hearing are pebbles lodged in the dust cover on the brakes. They screech for a second and then fall out. I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like a cow bell and I'm sure it's this. Also, happens sometimes driving in a straight line where the diff would not be relevant like it would in turning.
Actually, Artemis may have a point, here is a direct quote from my guys:

Quote:
"My master technician suspects that the differentials may grow noisy with time, this is something the factory would only have noticed after some driving. Again, this is all just speculation. "
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #88
kylejdavidson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 - LBB, DCT

Quote:

Missed this list, thank you for posting! I'm not on it luckily! Produced a week after you so makes sense.

Edit: just saw there is apparently another list Has this one been published yet?
Appreciate 0